View Poll Results: Will Trump be impeached? If so, when?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

8 8.89%
  • 2 years

11 12.22%
  • 3 years

3 3.33%
  • 4 years

2 2.22%
  • Unimpeached after one term

22 24.44%
  • 5 years

0 0%
  • 6 years

0 0%
  • 7 years

0 0%
  • 8 years

0 0%
  • Unimpeached after two terms

14 15.56%
  • El Presidente For Life cannot be impeached

30 33.33%
Page 554 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 544545045445495525535545555565595646046541054 ... LastLast
Results 11,061 to 11,080 of 29355

Thread: General News Thread

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Bengal Famine in 1943 wasn't exactly handled particularly kindly, either.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmadillo View Post
    Joining nazi army was different. Most of the baltics were conscripted. Dont know about you but there were 10% volunteers here according to research and that was mostly thanks to 1940 deportations not political leanings.
    I don't have a percentage, but I just know over 40000 men were mobilized into a seperate german regiment to fight against the red army and the regiment had the name "volunteers" in it. It was definitely a mix of volunteering and forced conscription though.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    Like any colonial nation (perhaps any nation beyond a few of the micro-states, in truth and fairness) we could set out a mass litany of atrocities. I just mean to highlight points at which we really ought to be more self-reflective when it comes to the ingrained notion that we were and are the complete opposite of the Nazis.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's kinda sad how every so often there'll be a story in the tabloids about how we found an EVIL NAZI living amongst INNOCENT BRITONS and the whole song and dance goes on again with some 90+ year old man getting arrested so that some people far too young to remember the war get to feel good about themselves.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Banned
    Please don't make damning generalisations about the whole region when you have Poland and Ukraine in mind. Obviously there are assholes everywhere. Probably more in eeurope, but you'll have to come here to get the real picture.
    I'm not saying the Baltics are literally drowning in crypto-fascism. I'm saying that you share, regionally, an issue that all your neighbors also have because you have that shared history. It's a statement of fact, not a condemnation of you specifically.

As Seika said, we've all got our atrocity cards, but, with regards to the original topic, a common issue in Holocaust historiography in particular is the various populations being able to claim victim status themselves. The Holocaust was at its worst in Poland so the issue is most prevalent there, but part of the reason Snyder's Bloodlands was such a best seller in (if you demand a local example) Latvia is it afforded conservative scholars a big boost to the "we were the war's real victims" argument.

Bringing this back around: East Europe has had a bad fucking time, to state the blatantly obvious, which makes it the most fertile ground for the kind of narratives that allow Poland to present itself as a nation of victims (white, Catholic ones) defending themselves from the outside world (which is inherently and unjustly hostile to them). That, mac, is why that national identity getting any kind of boost makes people so wary.

- - - Updated - - -

Bloodlands is actually a pretty fascinating book, by the by.

don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodyle View Post
    I'm not saying the Baltics are literally drowning in crypto-fascism. I'm saying that you share, regionally, an issue that all your neighbors also have because you have that shared history. It's a statement of fact, not a condemnation of you specifically.
    The only issue we share that is different from most of the rest of europe is that we got fucked up by comunists as well not just by nazis and over a larger period of time so holocaust isnt the only thing to obsess over. So if Badlands is the thing youre going by, my previous comment stands - dont generalize.
    It was popular here mostly because of "oh look westerners wrote a book about us" anyway.

Banned
    The only issue we share that is different from most of the rest of europe is that we got fucked up by comunists as well not just by nazis and over a larger period of time
    Except we were talking about Eastern Europe, with which you absolutely share that.
    so holocaust isnt the only thing to obsess over.
    Yes this is kind of the exact thing I was just saying feeds the aforementioned position.
    So if Badlands is the thing youre going by
    No, it was an example. The entire field of Holocaust historiography is built out of this exact thing you are doing right now so it's kind of weird that you're digging your heels in. Is it that controversial to you that I offhandedly mentioned you in a list?

Hot heavy opinions but IMO assigning victim status to a nation is just as if not more dangerous than assigning badguy status to a nation.

Banned
    Yes!

Why I never really caught on to DS9 actually.

I know it probably turns the whole thing around later but I just couldn't bear the journey that gets you there.

JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    No, it was an example. The entire field of Holocaust historiography is built out of this exact thing you are doing right now so it's kind of weird that you're digging your heels in. Is it that controversial to you that I offhandedly mentioned you in a list?
    The comment that I replied about mentioned Poland and Baltics only not eeurope. Ill make this clearer - what Im offended about is you reducing a complex issue of historical memory to a generalized observation (more a judgement than a statement of fact actually) backed by weasel words.
    The rhetorics about holocaust here will obviously be different (and different in Estonia than us for example since not many jews lived there) so you should kind of guess how your offhanded mention might not sit well with me.

Banned
    What region of Europe are those countries generally counted as oh I wonder.

It is a generalized observation because the original comment was not intended to comment on the Baltics beyond being a general example. You can keep denying the existence of Denial as a thing I guess but it was entirely tangential to the original point of commentary which was focused on Poland.

- - - Updated - - -

Next time I try to comment on East European historiographical issues I will be sure to provide a complete Latvian section with all of its own sources if that'll make you feel better.

Banned
    For real though, I never thought we'd be having a dispute over "collaborator denial is a problem in EE" but here we are. Maybe I'll start pretending that there aren't people in the US arguing that the South was in the right.

JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    but it was entirely tangential to the original point of commentary which was focused on Poland.
    One might think I would be less upset if I didn't know that.
    Youre certainly right about the idea of a victim nation being an issue. It definitely annoys me, not because it makes Denial with capitals a thing (as I said in the oughts it turned much less of an issue), but because it traps most of the people in the country in history as a focus point for national identity. I dont want sources, I want less feeding into the russian narrative about our interpretation of ww2 and less fuel for nationalists to use for their euroskepticism.

Banned
    One might think I would be less upset if I didn't know that.
    Youre certainly right about the idea of a victim nation being an issue. It definitely annoys me, not because it makes Denial with capitals a thing (as I said in the oughts it turned much less of an issue), but because it traps most of the people in the country in history as a focus point for national identity. I dont want sources, I want less feeding into the russian narrative about our interpretation of ww2 and less fuel for nationalists to use for their euroskepticism.
    If you want to not fuel nationalists, maybe don't parrot them by pretending that certain issues don't exist.

- - - Updated - - -

One might go so far to say that your inability to not interject on a closed topic had nationalistic motivations.

Blog Entries
    dude, chill, you're starting to be an asshole now
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Banned
    Fine

JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    One might go so far to say that your inability to not interject on a closed topic had nationalistic motivations.
    I definitely cant stop you from reading my words as you want to.

Ok this election is killing me
    Aus Feuer ward der Geist geschaffen,
    drum schenkt mir süßes Feuer ein!
    Die Lust der Lieder und der Waffen,
    die Lust der Liebe schenkt mir ein,
    der Trauben süßes Sonnenblut,
    das Wunder glaubt und Wunder thut!

Actual nice.