View Poll Results: Will Trump be impeached? If so, when?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

8 8.89%
  • 2 years

11 12.22%
  • 3 years

3 3.33%
  • 4 years

2 2.22%
  • Unimpeached after one term

22 24.44%
  • 5 years

0 0%
  • 6 years

0 0%
  • 7 years

0 0%
  • 8 years

0 0%
  • Unimpeached after two terms

14 15.56%
  • El Presidente For Life cannot be impeached

30 33.33%
Page 565 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 654655155555605635645655665675705756156651065 ... LastLast
Results 11,281 to 11,300 of 29355

Thread: General News Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner View Post
    Correct. The Tory party might wish to keep fighting the neoliberal fight, but it's now embarked on a project that, to not end up in complete catastrophe, needs to make the protection of entrenched national interests its main concern, while being unable to immediately fall back on the world market to lessen the blow: diplomacy requires energies, and no country has enough to simultaneously leverage against a punitive EU, rewrite the deals vs the rest of the world and make new ones for added measure.
    The lack of energies is part of why May's trying to put Article 50 off into the long grass for as long as she can, I think. The time gained is nowhere near enough for substantive trade deals to be put through, but it helps her get at least minor things like declarations of interest as a starting point and a domestic political tool.

My feeling further is that the gesture of eventually invoking Article 50 will be worth far more to the Tories than your focus on the genuine practicalities of the matter, certainly in the short term. The 2020 election will be spun in terms of "we took the country out of Europe only nine months ago, like you wanted - now reward us for that, and let us deliver on all these totally meaningful preliminary prefatory talks we held in the U.N. cafeteria during a coffee break which definitely make up for the loss of easy EU trade." And politicians are famously bad at looking more than one election into the future.

Maybe in the 2025 election, voters will punish the Conservatives for the fact that post-Brexit Britain hasn't freed up a billion working-class jobs and lowered taxes and funded the NHS and whatever else leaving the EU was magically supposed to do. But no-one can deliver on that, whether they go for the neoliberal line or try to be protectionist interventionists. The Tories know that and so will make a couple of token gestures while continuing to do what they think best, which is to expand global trade with Britain as best they can. Remember that even the Conservative MPs weren't in favour of Brexit: they know this is going to be painful, and that there's only so much alleviation that can possibly be put in place. Nevertheless, regardless of how thoroughly neoliberal, Eurosceptic, and globalist they are, they're certainly the most neoliberal, Eurosceptic, and globalist party outside single-issue UKIP - and that translates into more of a forward drive than scrabbling to make Brexit as minimal as possible (which would be arguably the most sensible choice and certainly what I'd expect out of, say, a sane Labour government faced with this) or reverting to self-defeating trade barriers.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Who is going to watch tonight? The greatest stumping of our time?

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't miss this for anything

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Trump is in a dead heat and surging as of this week and ahead of Hillary today, so tonight could decide the election. If he capitalizes on his momentum, he might never look back.

On another note, touching back on what Bridge mentioned... I don't really think just voting for your immediate self interest is self-evidently praiseworthy. You should be voting for what's best for everyone.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Banned
    I mean, voting for Trump is not actually in Trump Voter's self-interest either, they just think that because they're idiots.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Making America great is in everyone's self interest.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Right so no Trump

Banned
    Mac we've had Russian annexation apologists in this thread please don't make posts that are too plausibly sincere

Quote Originally Posted by Whis View Post
    Mac we've had Russian annexation apologists in this thread please don't make posts that are too plausibly sincere
    Mac is posting while reading Art of the Deal and drinking Trump Wine.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    But that just proves the thesis of the book itself. Thus turning it into a good book.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Mac....

I'm not too worried but I can't really think of any group that's gonna be swayed by tonight that hasn't already made up their minds

millenials?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Don't vote
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Mac....

I'm not too worried but I can't really think of any group that's gonna be swayed by tonight that hasn't already made up their minds

millenials?
    Well, there has to be some people out there, or else where is the tightening of the race coming from?

If you want my analysis, it's this: Trump's main task is to win back the Republicans he alienated during the primary. He's leading by landslide proportions amongst non-college educated whites, but amongst college educated whites he's trailing badly. The last poll of Republicans I looked at said something like 75% were going to vote for Trump; that's like compared to 95% that Romney got.

And then there's always independents out there too.

I imagine it's pressure to win those folks that buckled Ted Cruz's knees and led him to finally endorse The Donald the other day, to much of his critics' glee.

Banned
    I guess Cruz just gave up his 2020 dream.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yeah and then go complain on the internet the day after the vote that The System doesn't care about you.
    This would be a good time for that brexit image post.
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Strife ❤️; September 26th, 2016 at 04:55 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Not really, the brexit demographics and voting turnouts got severely misunderstood by people who were looking for a narrative.
    I meant this one of a person saying that he's not voting the day of the vote, then bitching about how Leave won the following day.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whis View Post
    I guess Cruz just gave up his 2020 dream.
    He still thinks he's making the smart play.

Glenn Beck is on suicide watch.

This isn't the bad memes channel, Chris.
    Ouch.

Approximately five minutes left until the debate nominally starts... hopefully Clinton can stall Trump's momentum.
    Not Magus! Magic Emperor Magus!