View Poll Results: Will Trump be impeached? If so, when?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

8 8.89%
  • 2 years

11 12.22%
  • 3 years

3 3.33%
  • 4 years

2 2.22%
  • Unimpeached after one term

22 24.44%
  • 5 years

0 0%
  • 6 years

0 0%
  • 7 years

0 0%
  • 8 years

0 0%
  • Unimpeached after two terms

14 15.56%
  • El Presidente For Life cannot be impeached

30 33.33%
Page 1144 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 1446441044109411341139114211431144114511461149115411941244 ... LastLast
Results 22,861 to 22,880 of 29355

Thread: General News Thread

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Here's a handy dandy flowchart for those interested...

Big pic
    But how does Tony Hawk's Pro Skater tie into the greater timeline tree?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    This is true, but it also does sound quite a bit like you're defending their decision to throw rocks at gay people until they die.
    Criticising a country for executing people for their sexuality is good and right, yeah. Insinuating that this is happening because this country doesn't have enough Freedom and Democracy while ignoring that those things over here in the West haven't exactly been doing so well is gauche at best, racist at worst. It's deeply ignorant to assume that every country operates on a 1-10 scale of Western-Or-Not, and that issues like this are simple and have no cultural baggage.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    But how does Tony Hawk's Pro Skater tie into the greater timeline tree?
    It branches into the THPS timeline when Theresa May manages to Darkslide over Big Ben's hands to secure 100% for her deal, preventing Britain's economic collapse.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Criticising a country for executing people for their sexuality is good and right, yeah. Insinuating that this is happening because this country doesn't have enough Freedom and Democracy while ignoring that those things over here in the West haven't exactly been doing so well is gauche at best, racist at worst. It's deeply ignorant to assume that every country operates on a 1-10 scale of Western-Or-Not, and that issues like this are simple and have no cultural baggage.
    You're the one who's making this an issue of "East versus West" though. All Twelve said was that Brunei has anti-blasphemy laws and is ruled by an unelected, unaccountable
    Sultan
    Monarch
    . I don't see you disputing that either of those are facts or saying grossly authoritarian, theocratic states are actually okay, so it seems you agree with him on that count. The only reason you'd have to take issue with his post is if you read in an invisible "But of course only Eastern countries can ever be totalitarian and Western countries are all bastions of freedom and democracy" proviso, which isn't supported by anything Twelve actually wrote. Given the obvious counterexamples of European, white majority countries like Russia and Hungary that are strongly authoritarian and homophobic, it's outright bizarre to me that you'd equate criticisms of theocratic tyranny as a veiled attack on some nebulous set of "Eastern" countries.

On your second point, yeah, I'm pretty sure countries with a functioning Democracy are less likely to institute atrocities like mass purges of gays or other social undesirables. Obviously Democracy isn't some infallible shield against evil intent (the Weimar Republic did vote in Hitler after all), but in general I'd imagine it's a lot harder to institute something like a genocide if the people you're planning to round up and kill are free to vote against it. Of course this won't apply if the marginalized people in question already had limited or nonexistent voting rights, but clearly there the issue is a deficiency in democracy, not an overabundance of it.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The problem with the use of "tyranny" is that it implies these laws aren't popular. They very much are, and there's where the problem lies, and why democracy isn't a panacea. Even Putin's opposition in Russia supports the anti-LGBT legislation there.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    if democracy produces unacceptable results, the state must dissolve the people and elect another
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Blog Entries
    so that's why they are importing refugees

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    if democracy produces unacceptable results, the state must dissolve the people and elect another
    Which state though

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    i'll prepare the acid vats
    don't quote me on this

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    On your second point, yeah, I'm pretty sure countries with a functioning Democracy are less likely to institute atrocities like mass purges of gays or other social undesirables.
    You are assuming that the purging of undesirables occurs arbitrarily imposed by a ruling faction, when as a matter of fact it tends to take place with support (either tacit or stated) of the so-called desirables. Hence all the scapegoating rhetoric repeated ad nauseam by so many in order to create an Other.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn it, I need to finish reading the thread before posting, I'm basically just repeating what Five said.

Blog Entries
    Basically. Anyway, my opinion isn't an East v. West thing, nor do I think democracy is a cure-all (though I do think that a healthy democracy enshrines basic human rights, making purges more difficult to achieve). Populism is a lot more influential in democracies, and that tends to be where that sort of violence comes from. Democracy doesn't cure social problems. My point here is that the LGBTQ minority is closer to collateral damage than a direct target of this move. Anti-blasphemy laws are tailored to divide populations and crush dissent and criticism internally. That's probably the main point here, imo.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    You are assuming that the purging of undesirables occurs arbitrarily imposed by a ruling faction, when as a matter of fact it tends to take place with support (either tacit or stated) of the so-called desirables. Hence all the scapegoating rhetoric repeated ad nauseam by so many in order to create an Other.
    No, no, I get that. But presumably every, say, gay person would vote against a policy mandating gays be exterminated. Some studies show that roughly 6% of Americans identify as gay or sexually nonconforming in some way (actually, surveys tend to get wildly variable results between 1% and 6%, but I'm going with that number for convenience). So right away, that's a 6% of people who are going to vote against your policy no matter what.

Now, straight people obviously aren't a unanimous hivemind (citation needed), so not all of them are going to vote for a given anti-gay law. Some of them are going to defend gays, defend other rights that supervene on gayness (like civil liberties more generally) or just not care one way or the other and vote on other issues that interest them more (let's pretend this is a direct Democracy where people vote on issues directly; elected representatives make the picture more complicated but don't, I think, change the fundamental argument).

If you assume every gay person is going to vote against an anti-gay law, and only some straight people will vote for it, unless straights are voting almost completely unanimously or the portion of gays in the population is truly miniscule, it'd be very hard for such a law to pass. Of course in real life the issue is more complicated than that, because (amongst other things) some self-hating gays might vote for anti-gay politicians anyways and there are often gerrymandering laws that make it harder for marginalized groups to vote. But that's the gist of it.

To put it more simply, in an tyranny, you only need one person (the ruler) to decide to kill you before you're dead. In a democracy, you need at least 51% of the populace to want you dead first. While obviously no political philosophy is perfect, that seems like an undisputed improvement to me.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's not just about the leaders/governments though. Most of these place are hyper religious and if the people in robes and pointy hats tell them the gays are evil then they'll go along with it. Even in places where separating church in state is a driving ideal, in practice it never really happens since those places tend towards being democracy's (since any sane dictator would have made themselves the head of the religion centuries ago), and that populous still hold whatever ideals the church preaches, so they elect similar minded people to office.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Mmm, technically democracy, functionally theocracy. That said, it's what the founding fathers here in the US called the tyranny of the majority. If you want to protect people from that, changing laws isn't going to work, or even happen, short of some good baked-in institutional protections. You're going to have to change the minds of the people through their religion. Good luck with that.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    I get to have been born in a past era
    how... decadent.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Blog Entries
    so i just read something about allison mack pleading guilty to sex trafficking and other charges i forget in a case about the NXIVM organization--basically an organization setup by some horny dude to coerce women into sleeping with him? i didn't read much.

huh, shame.

is smallville worth watching though?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    No. No, it isn't.

Blog Entries

neat

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    news just in: black holes are black and they look like holes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    news just in: black holes are black and they look like holes
    You jest, but literally all we had to go on what a black hole looks like was imagination.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.