Page 1 of 27 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: The True King of Urban Fantasy - The Dresden Files

The True King of Urban Fantasy - The Dresden Files

I noticed Dresden did not have a discussion thread in this forum and in that instant I realized my duty of enlightening all of you mongrels of the REAL King. With that said.... Who is wondering what is going to happen in book fourteen Cold Days with Harry as the Winter Knight? Any guesses?
    Last edited by Vanathor; December 22nd, 2011 at 09:51 PM.

We already have a thread for this in the General Discussion area. The Dresden Files are neither anime, manga, or games. gtfo

Edit: or I thought we did, where did it go?
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Somebody deleted it, I never bothered recreating it because the memories live on in our hearts. Same with the Wheel of Time thread and that other book series thread I made, oh yeah, it was the Animorphs thread.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

You mean that time your account got hacked? Remake it already then.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanathor View Post
    I noticed Dresden did not have a discussion thread in this forum and in that instant I realized my duty of enlightening all of you mongrels of the REAL King. With that said.... Who is wondering what is going to happen in book fourteen Cold Days with Harry as the Winter Knight? Any guesses?
    Harry finally goes after the Summer Court, since we know that Titania's in this up to her vibrantly-green eyeballs.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Here is the important question.

Mab. Would you tap that phat ass?

Blog Entries
    It's my favorite book series right now, and I'm picky as hell.

Also Murphy is love.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    I'm quite fond of Dresden Files as well, and I'm not quite picky but discerning, I'd say.

後継者 Successor
    Blog Entries
    I...only caught the short-lived TV series unfortunately...but I liked what I saw and have been planning to get to the books at some point. *shows self out of thread*
    Fic's
    Wishing Upon The Sun (Fate/Guyver) - Updated: 11/04/12
    Broken on the Rocks - Updated: 20/07/12
    Spoiler:

[11:37] <Wakarimaspin> Hahahaha, an NTR doujin by Tusia with three chapters. Chapter 1: Five and Leo share pure loving relationship, ends with Leo going on a trip and Five promising to wait for him
    [11:38] <Wakarimaspin> Chapter 2: Exiku the temptress comes along and slowly erodes Five's yearning for Leo, and takes him in a moment of weakness. Ends with Leo returning to see what has happened
    [11:38] <Wakarimaspin> Chapter 3: NTRNTRNTRNTRNTR

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code

Depends.

Would your tongue get stuck to her, like in that Christmas show?
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    I read them in April, this year. Read all of them. Then had to wait until July for Ghost Story. Dresden Files is awesome. I love the cast, I love the snark, I love Butcher's "get me everyone. EVERYONE!" approach to mythology and the supernatural. Harry getting increasingly more badass as time goes on is rewarding. And colony drops. With satellites.

So, yeah, the wait for three months was bad. The wait for Cold Days is excruciating.
    Last edited by Trevelyan; August 7th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    See, I was a huge fan of Anita Blake back in the day. You know, back when she use to solve paranormal murders and shoot things and not sleep with the monsters. Then . . . yeahhhhh.

So I was in the need of something else to read. I picked up "Storm Front" on a whim and had been in love ever since. My favorite book is still "Summer Knight" with maybe "White Knight" behind it. (Also "Small Favors" was pretty bad assed too.) I enjoyed "Ghost Story", but my one peeve was that there were too many pop culture references, even for me. Like all the X-Men references, and I can tell you who created Wolverine and drew the first issue of the All New, All Different X-Men where Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Colossus were introduced because I'm that much of a nerd, but there were too many.

Still, its my favorite read on the book shelf and I've gotten most of my circle of friends addicted to it as well.

Also, I'd tap Mab, but I'd be very terrified while doing so. To me, Summer seems more scary. At least Winter lets you know they're going to eat your eyeballs and entrails. Summer does too much cloak and dagger.

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ah, Anita Blake: Vampire Humper. I do have to wonder what happened to turn the author on to bestiality, really.

Dresden Files is certainly better (not that that's hard) but I have to agree with Elf; there are way too many pop culture references, and it makes the anti-postmodernist within me cry with great agony. Jim Butcher is a pretty good writer, though; if only he'd keep to making homages, rather than outright, direct references.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

I thought that the references were a tad over the top as well, but I rationalized it as Dresden focusing on the "COOL SHIT" aspect of being a ghost, and not the "OH GOD I AM DEAAAAAAAAD" parts.

But, that's just me.

Also: Zombie T-Rex, when you absolutely, certainly, no looking back, "this guy is deader than Jimmy Hoffa" kill everything around. Even if they're dead.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My introduction to the Dresden Files is an odd one - I'd seen the books off and on, in the sci-fi/fantasy section, and the title "Summer Knight" appealed. So, on one of my periodic trips to Toronto to hit the World's Biggest Bookstore (that actually is the name of the place), I decided - what the hell, I could use a new series, and bought "Storm Front." It was cool, but it didn't quite inspire me to go out and get the rest, and things gathered dust for a while.

Then came a day I was going to be volunteering at the library's coffee shop, and I needed something to read for three hours. Ransacking the local used bookshop, I found "Blood Rites." Not my first choice, but the first one hadn't been bad, and I was pretty much out of other options - there wasn't a Christopher Stasheff there I didn't already own, and nothing else appealed. So I bought it, and read it.

. . . I owned the rest of the series by the end of the week.

No - she'd eat me alive. Possibly literally. I think, given the choice, I'd rather wait a few more years for Ivy to finish growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    See, I was a huge fan of Anita Blake back in the day. You know, back when she use to solve paranormal murders and shoot things and not sleep with the monsters. Then . . . yeahhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Ah, Anita Blake: Vampire Humper.
    Agreed wholeheartedly - although my sister thinks that means I have a problem with strong female characters.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Ah, Anita Blake: Vampire Humper. I do have to wonder what happened to turn the author on to bestiality, really.
    She divorced her first husband and hooked up with some new guy. Like Richard represented her first husband and Micah the second. You know, with the even BIGGER penis. So she splashed all of her personal shit all over the pages of her books and they became unreadable.

Dresden Files is certainly better (not that that's hard) but I have to agree with Elf; there are way too many pop culture references, and it makes the anti-postmodernist within me cry with great agony. Jim Butcher is a pretty good writer, though; if only he'd keep to making homages, rather than outright, direct references.
    Well, it's something that Roadbuster's been trying to break me out of my own writing for a long time. Then I read "Ghost Story" and went "Okay, that's just a little annoying . . ." Like don't point out the reference. Let the reader find it.

Twilight: A girls choice between necrophelia and beastiality.

You know what might be funny, based on that crossover with F/sn thing that was in teh crossover thread? If Saber was, for whatever reason, fighting the Gruffs and had to use Avalon, only to run into Titania (because I always picture Avalon as a bit of a sunny place, and the Summer Court is all about dat yo).

T: Sup.

S: FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Blog Entries
    My sister just started reading today. Four hours and she's already halfway through 'Storm Front'. It's always fun to watch a new addict emerge. =3

Blog Entries
    Reading the first book.

The White Council dudes are massive asshats.

Massive.
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay