View Poll Results: Will Trump be impeached? If so, when?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

    7 7.95%
  • 2 years

    11 12.50%
  • 3 years

    3 3.41%
  • 4 years

    2 2.27%
  • Unimpeached after one term

    21 23.86%
  • 5 years

    0 0%
  • 6 years

    0 0%
  • 7 years

    0 0%
  • 8 years

    0 0%
  • Unimpeached after two terms

    14 15.91%
  • El Presidente For Life cannot be impeached

    30 34.09%
Page 1388 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 38888812881338137813831386138713881389139013931398 ... LastLast
Results 27,741 to 27,760 of 28433

Thread: General News Thread

  1. #27741
    Taiga's knight Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,271
    Blog Entries
    12
    Thank you, thirteenseal
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

  2. #27742
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Twelveseal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Elysium Dream
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,772
    Blog Entries
    4
    You're welcome, rapebird XD
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see




  3. #27743
    Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Suba (not Dzyuba!)
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Oh I see, well you aren’t wrong, but there is some important nuance there. Suburban women are a huge voting block. Like African American men or college educated whites. Trump doesn’t have to win them out right, but he needs to not get blown out of the water. IIRC Hillary beat him with suburban women by somewhere between 12 and 14%, or thereabouts. Respectable but trump was able to deal with that but winning other voting blocks. Biden however is crushing him with suburban women by around 25%.

    That’s literal millions of votes in the other column when trump won the election on the back of less then 500,000 strategically placed people. And suburban women are such a coveted voting block because they are spread evenly throughout swing states instead of grouped en mass in a regional area.
    I don't think that would matter an awful lot to be honest. There's a reason they are suburban women: constituencies + turnout is going to be a much bigger game changer.

    I mean, suburbia are highlighted as the nominal regions surrounding most cities: these share common traits including low population density. It isn't African Americans, which do have significant populations. This is a group that would only change the election in some communities, especially in very wealthy liberal leaning suburbia.

    Looks however, can be deceiving: while Trump could campaign tirelessly pitching a dead horse at people, my recommendation would be as simple as redlining the rural vote, which is more easily swayed by GOP policies, to his side. That one's significantly easier since it was this and not the suburban block that carried him to victory, as evidenced by, obviously, the Pennsylvania map:



    I'd focus on turning the pink states deep red if I were him, instead of clawing at the purple and light blue areas that are probably just going end eviscerating him.
    Ultima prophetiae, veni finis tempus;
    magnus ab integro saeclorum quod mortum. Finis magnus ordo.
    Iam redit Virgo Phaenomi regibus redeunt,
    nova progenies ad caelo surgit.
    Vestra puerorum, qui movere tempus ipsum, et rotam ferrea primum.
    Ac vestra lucis, omnes surgit futurum aureus, novo mundo nascens.

  4. #27744
    全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    36
    Posts
    7,798
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelveseal View Post
    Toby's kind of right, but at the same time, we basically allowed our country to gentrify by continuing an essentially unbroken chain of globalist, neoconservative, and neoliberal social, economic, and foreign policies.

    We created a situation where the average American also lives paycheck to paycheck because we have to compete with foreign labor markets that enjoy lower costs of living in their own countries. We have to compete with new technologies that are cheaper and more efficient than pure human labor and require the training and/or qualifications earned from grossly overpriced higher education to be able/allowed to use. Education most of us can't make the time or scrape together the money to pursue because we live paycheck to paycheck. Our earnings are high compared to 3rd world countries, but our cost of living tends to be rather... oof. Our whole system has been built up over centuries (with a few attempts to break the pattern) to be as efficient as possible for maintaining the flow of money and goods under ideal conditions... but conditions are never ideal. And even when they are, such a model obviously benefits a select, privileged few over the rest. Since those few control the government as well as industry and have gutted labor's power to affect meaningful change, it's been a steady tightening of the system for the past some-odd 40 years.

    It's telling that most of the country is poor and struggling, but we also suddenly gained something like 26 new billionaires and haven't lost any yet. Except maybe that one guy who got busted for $2 billion in tax fraud.
    You'd think that it only really takes educating people in how broken and self destructive crony capitalism is, but there are a fairly large amount of people who want to try to abuse that system and dream of making themselves kings, those billionaires (and for a couple, soon trillionaries, are so scared of losing the power they've gained BECAUSE they know how things work and don't want to be eaten alive by losing that power. Then there are the types that know, but think they can't do anything about it and forget their own influence, so they resign themselves to being the cog until they get grinded by the machine.
    But I have a hard time swallowing that people are ignorant in how they are being used. Turning one's eyes away from the problem and ignorance are two different things. Before Trump ever got into politics people knew he was a scam artist, dirt has been following him for decades. Its just that his ³
    fake populist rhetoric was an easy banner for some to rally around to vent.

  5. #27745
    Taiga's knight Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,271
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    I don't think that would matter an awful lot to be honest. There's a reason they are suburban women: constituencies + turnout is going to be a much bigger game changer.

    I mean, suburbia are highlighted as the nominal regions surrounding most cities: these share common traits including low population density. It isn't African Americans, which do have significant populations. This is a group that would only change the election in some communities, especially in very wealthy liberal leaning suburbia.

    Looks however, can be deceiving: while Trump could campaign tirelessly pitching a dead horse at people, my recommendation would be as simple as redlining the rural vote, which is more easily swayed by GOP policies, to his side. That one's significantly easier since it was this and not the suburban block that carried him to victory, as evidenced by, obviously, the Pennsylvania map:



    I'd focus on turning the pink states deep red if I were him, instead of clawing at the purple and light blue areas that are probably just going end eviscerating him.
    counterpoint, 2018.

    EDIT: to expand upon a post that in retrospect looks more crass then I intended, the strategy you suggest was the one Trump and co actually attempted to use during the mid terms. It’s notable that in mid terms this strategy of base firing is generally more successful due to decreased turn out and motivation being more important relatively.

    and said strategy was an utter failure. Suburban women swamped team red all throughout the country and handed republicans a humiliating loss that, presuming the president is indeed defeated in a few weeks, historians will likely point to as the beginning of the end of the great mystique of Donald trumps invulnerability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

  6. #27746
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six asterism42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,835
    Blog Entries
    1
    The USA is that character in the zombie film who insists they're fine despite having a conspicuously mouth sized chunk missing from their arm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly

  7. #27747
    Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Suba (not Dzyuba!)
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    counterpoint, 2018.

    EDIT: to expand upon a post that in retrospect looks more crass then I intended, the strategy you suggest was the one Trump and co actually attempted to use during the mid terms. It’s notable that in mid terms this strategy of base firing is generally more successful due to decreased turn out and motivation being more important relatively.

    and said strategy was an utter failure. Suburban women swamped team red all throughout the country and handed republicans a humiliating loss that, presuming the president is indeed defeated in a few weeks, historians will likely point to as the beginning of the end of the great mystique of Donald trumps invulnerability.
    Base firing didn't work especially because of the dead turnout rates. Trump needs levels of turnout higher than those in 2016 to accomplish a PA win. Otherwise, "casual interest" is going to win him over because tactical voting, which was not existent in the mid terms, will help any candidate whose turnout's highest.

    And tactical voting is extremely likely in ultra polarized elections like this one, where the polarization seems to be much worse. So far, I hope either Biden and Kamala end up somehow unable to be in their ticket... or lose. Otherwise America will simply go on surviving in what I call a "zombie state": too afraid to change for the better, not afraid enough to reorganize itself or start questioning its identity... and completely insincere and inauthentic. Such an state, devoid of a defining personality, cannot hope to survive or lead for long and it's a message I've been hammering ad nauseum. Trump was right about something: the establishment must die, or America will take it's place in a bonfire. This is not apocalyptic fear mongering. This is a message I've been saying since 2016.

    Twice did America reject the candidates that could've brought change for the better. Twice it was that they choose to embrace a nebulous, "poster child" position for their "left" (to most of us, center) and once have you lost to the "greater evil" because it actually had something to say "this is what defines me". You can't keep on voting against. Hopefully this message gets hammered home... or I will see more of the political apathy we saw pre-2016... which every person will say is "normal", even though "normal" isn't healthy.

    Sorry, I'm getting carried away, but it just amazes me coming from a country that made exactly the same mistake and is now way worse off as a result.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    The USA is that character in the zombie film who insists they're fine despite having a conspicuously mouth sized chunk missing from their arm
    Missing eyes I'd say.
    Ultima prophetiae, veni finis tempus;
    magnus ab integro saeclorum quod mortum. Finis magnus ordo.
    Iam redit Virgo Phaenomi regibus redeunt,
    nova progenies ad caelo surgit.
    Vestra puerorum, qui movere tempus ipsum, et rotam ferrea primum.
    Ac vestra lucis, omnes surgit futurum aureus, novo mundo nascens.

  8. #27748
    全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Age
    36
    Posts
    7,798
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    The USA is that character in the zombie film who insists they're fine despite having a conspicuously mouth sized chunk missing from their arm
    Fool yourself for long enough and you can convince yourself of anything.

  9. #27749
    Taiga's knight Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,271
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    base firing didn’t work especially because of the dead turnout rates. Trump needs levels of turnout higher than those in 2016 to accomplish a PA win. Otherwise, "casual interest" is going to win him over because tactical voting, which was not existent in the mid terms, will help any candidate whose turnout's highest.
    That’s not how that works. They tried exactly that and failed in 2018, a time where firing up the base and trying to stoke partisan passions works better because turn out is lower over all in mid term elections. The thing about votes is that passion itself doesn’t effect the power of a vote. Someone who would crawl across broken glass to pull that lever counts exactly the same as the person who only voted because the girl directing traffic through the voting area was in a halter top.

    in mid terms, since less people turn out as the mid term elections are perceived to be less important, registering your base and getting everyone going is a pretty good strategy because light blue and light red people don’t show up at all.

    in a presidential election, where the middle is much more likely to turn out in higher numbers, trying to maximize base turn out instead of working the various voting blocks congregated around the center is a strategy that is not very successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

  10. #27750
    Deadpan Dead People LegalLoliLover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,679
    Blog Entries
    5

    Accursed Nazis and their rounding... Of numbers.
    May the Light of Zvezda Shine Throughout This World!
    Spoiler:

  11. #27751
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Twelveseal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Elysium Dream
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,772
    Blog Entries
    4
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see




  12. #27752
    Crossing Arcadia Saiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,112
    JP Friend Code
    256,751,454
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post

    Accursed Nazis and their rounding... Of numbers.
    Funnily enough, it's not on Snopes, and the tweet author claims that's because Snopes took it down "last year" in contradiction to claiming it was up "right now" as of yesterday. And their claim that it is still up on ADL is false because the ADL page doesn't say the same thing as this page.

    5 minutes of looking into it would have told you that.

  13. #27753
    Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Suba (not Dzyuba!)
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    That’s not how that works. They tried exactly that and failed in 2018, a time where firing up the base and trying to stoke partisan passions works better because turn out is lower over all in mid term elections. The thing about votes is that passion itself doesn’t effect the power of a vote. Someone who would crawl across broken glass to pull that lever counts exactly the same as the person who only voted because the girl directing traffic through the voting area was in a halter top.

    in mid terms, since less people turn out as the mid term elections are perceived to be less important, registering your base and getting everyone going is a pretty good strategy because light blue and light red people don’t show up at all.

    in a presidential election, where the middle is much more likely to turn out in higher numbers, trying to maximize base turn out instead of working the various voting blocks congregated around the center is a strategy that is not very successful.
    Except that Trump's base is specifically known for rallying around the president and not his party. Turnout, in the case of this man, works in reverse.

    The idea this was going to work at a time where the voting demographic was not only fairly anemic, but also uninterested in general, is not exactly a good argument. The midterm voting electorate as a rule is either A. invested in politics in general or B. interested in their constituency. It's really easy to highlight the midterms as a sign Trump's ordeal is doomed when the predictions of a blue landslide ended up being hogwash and they only took control by an average margin... which points out to the midterms being an election built especially for the NIMBY voters: exactly the kind of people known to go for the Trump vote because "hey, my representative needs to align with me" but the POTUS... "well, should he win, he will at least give me lower taxes bitch!" and that's what's really at work here.

    In fact, if the middle would turn out in higher numbers during a Presidential election, that's more reason to fire them up: be aware that turnout in 2016 was 59.999999....... and so on, so what should make the most sense is to think of the enemy constituencies and trying to get a total number of voters in your friendly constituencies to vote for you to the point of drowning the vote from hostile ones and non-hostile/non supportive ones. Given turnout is likely to be even lower as a result of mail in voting, I believe the odds of firing his base up are high enough if he can command enough loyalty. If his support is lukewarm, however, he's going to be in serious trouble because most people who could carry him to the finish line will just stay home and not even bother requesting or mailing in a ballot.

    Source: witnessing the monumental trainwreck that was the last Spanish election and the disastrous mess it has made of Spain... and witnessing America sleepwalking into the same ravine.
    Ultima prophetiae, veni finis tempus;
    magnus ab integro saeclorum quod mortum. Finis magnus ordo.
    Iam redit Virgo Phaenomi regibus redeunt,
    nova progenies ad caelo surgit.
    Vestra puerorum, qui movere tempus ipsum, et rotam ferrea primum.
    Ac vestra lucis, omnes surgit futurum aureus, novo mundo nascens.

  14. #27754
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six rxrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,199
    Blog Entries
    1
    Putting my bets on Trump even though I don't really like him. Populism will allow him to mobilize his cronies and win against those against him, but too lazy to vote for some reason.

  15. #27755
    Taiga's knight Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,271
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    Except that Trump's base is specifically known for rallying around the president and not his party. Turnout, in the case of this man, works in reverse.

    The idea this was going to work at a time where the voting demographic was not only fairly anemic, but also uninterested in general, is not exactly a good argument. The midterm voting electorate as a rule is either A. invested in politics in general or B. interested in their constituency. It's really easy to highlight the midterms as a sign Trump's ordeal is doomed when the predictions of a blue landslide ended up being hogwash and they only took control by an average margin... which points out to the midterms being an election built especially for the NIMBY voters: exactly the kind of people known to go for the Trump vote because "hey, my representative needs to align with me" but the POTUS... "well, should he win, he will at least give me lower taxes bitch!" and that's what's really at work here.

    In fact, if the middle would turn out in higher numbers during a Presidential election, that's more reason to fire them up: be aware that turnout in 2016 was 59.999999....... and so on, so what should make the most sense is to think of the enemy constituencies and trying to get a total number of voters in your friendly constituencies to vote for you to the point of drowning the vote from hostile ones and non-hostile/non supportive ones. Given turnout is likely to be even lower as a result of mail in voting, I believe the odds of firing his base up are high enough if he can command enough loyalty. If his support is lukewarm, however, he's going to be in serious trouble because most people who could carry him to the finish line will just stay home and not even bother requesting or mailing in a ballot.

    Source: witnessing the monumental trainwreck that was the last Spanish election and the disastrous mess it has made of Spain... and witnessing America sleepwalking into the same ravine.

    there are multiple questionable points in there but I am gonna cover the most provably wrong.

    first off in the mid terms exit polls on both sides confirmed that vast majorities from both sides (as in, better then 90% each) were casting their vote because of the president. In other words, he wasn’t on the ballot but they were voting either for or against him anyway. Secondly, again on both sides, turn out in 2018 was shockingly high. And the demographics of said turn out were party base voters. So much so that it actually rivaled a presidential election. Several states broke records for turn out.

    So the idea that that trump wasn’t on the ballot in 2018 doesn’t hold water, and the party’s respective bases all turned out in droves you see.

    EDIT: also, I skipped one. The idea that this election will be lower in voters then the norm due to mail on ballots is also unlikely based on empirical evidence. The numbers of ballots returned already rivals that of the entirety of 2016 and we are currently breaking record at in person early voting locations. It’s true republican leaning areas have attempted to hinder such and such efforts have born some fruit, but all in all the numerical advantage appears to have increased, not decreased, vs 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

  16. #27756
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,616
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...arty-luis-arce

    "Oh, protesting does nothing, just vote!" Protesting is what enabled the vote in the first place, dipshits.
    My fanfics:
    The Gift (F/SN): The last duel between Cú Chulainn and Scáthach.
    Passion Acknowledged (F/SN): Shinji X Shirou lemon
    He Was a Good King (F/SN): Was Beowulf a good king?
    A Fairy Tale of Love and Death (F/SN): A meeting between Scáthach and King Hassan.
    Palingenetic Descension (Tsukihime): The origin of the Tohno family's hybrid nature.

  17. #27757
    Deadpan Dead People LegalLoliLover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,679
    Blog Entries
    5
    I don't know. Does Bolivian law allow for violent rioters called "protests" because I know that US law certainly doesn't? Now, if you make the argument about the "necessity" of breaking laws, then you have no right to complain when the other side uses those same tactics out of "necessity" and "the greater good".
    May the Light of Zvezda Shine Throughout This World!
    Spoiler:

  18. #27758
    Deadpan Dead People LegalLoliLover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,679
    Blog Entries
    5
    According to Sony, black lives matter:

    Uighur lives don't:
    May the Light of Zvezda Shine Throughout This World!
    Spoiler:

  19. #27759
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Twelveseal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Elysium Dream
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,772
    Blog Entries
    4
    Pretty standard for Capitalism, really. Business see money? Business do what need get money.

    CCP's got a lot of that. Even more post-covid, since they're the only major economy on the planet posting nice growth numbers. Capitalism and corporations generally don't give a fuck about human rights unless doing so makes them money or failure to do so costs them. Blue and Orange morality, except it's based on Profit and Loss.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see




  20. #27760
    Deadpan Dead People LegalLoliLover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,679
    Blog Entries
    5
    Capitalism also looks to future gains. Most companies don't want any government to have a stranglehold over them. With China, there will be more strangling than the kinkiest bondage session. And given what you said, Sony should stop virtue signaling the US, then, or do they honestly think that's profitable? For example, Teespring banned Antifa stuff.

    Again, the world has too many Batmen and Doctors Who who expect to guilt-trip their nemeses into changing. China can only be dealt with using Goblin Slayer or Dragonborn tactics.
    Last edited by LegalLoliLover; October 20th, 2020 at 02:55 PM.
    May the Light of Zvezda Shine Throughout This World!
    Spoiler:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •