View Poll Results: Will Trump be impeached? If so, when?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

8 8.89%
  • 2 years

11 12.22%
  • 3 years

3 3.33%
  • 4 years

2 2.22%
  • Unimpeached after one term

22 24.44%
  • 5 years

0 0%
  • 6 years

0 0%
  • 7 years

0 0%
  • 8 years

0 0%
  • Unimpeached after two terms

14 15.56%
  • El Presidente For Life cannot be impeached

30 33.33%
Page 1331 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 3318311231128113211326132913301331133213331336134113811431 ... LastLast
Results 26,601 to 26,620 of 29355

Thread: General News Thread

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    I'm not sure why you are so intent on getting an answer when you were already given one, but it's pretty clear that you can't actually understand what people post. So let us know when you get around to that, and can meaningfully discuss Columbus without derailing it into nonsense.
    My answer doesn't involve Columbus alone, that's the issue. I am bringing someone else for comparison purposes. Address this or GTFO.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    Except that doesn't answer the actual finality of the question. I will do some spoon feeding as well: would you apply the same logic to the likes of Washington and Jackson the same?
    Yes, actually. Especially Jackson, who also committed genocide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Yes, actually. Especially Jackson, who also committed genocide.
    Thanks. This definitely is the answer I was looking for.

I don't really agree with this kind of view of historical events, but I do respect it. Some people feel these statues are "charged" with all the negative connotations. On the other hand, you have countries like Russia where Lenin got a mausoleum kept to this day.

I do agree the genocide charges, but I think some things should've been kept and just adapted to remind people that the person they are looking at had a dark side as well.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Show's over Zurvan.

Also, yikes! LLL is going to end up being right after all.

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-53341217

I still don't think we should sanction them to hell and back and destroy what's left of the global economy, but trying to encourage a softening of positions by going "no, you first" should definitely be thought.

I also favor sanctioning all the local level officials who swept the Covid reports under the rug because if I was their overboss back in China, they would be rotting in a Wuhan prison for "criminal negligence" and as many corruption charges as I could get out of them.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Remembering historical atrocities is a fine thing to do. But do note there are no statues of Hitler anywhere but we all know who he was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Remembering historical atrocities is a fine thing to do. But do note there are no statues of Hitler anywhere but we all know who he was.
    The Third Reich has fallen. The US has not. No matter how badly communist bandits and their toadies want it to.
    Show's over Zurvan.

Also, yikes! LLL is going to end up being right after all.

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-53341217

I still don't think we should sanction them to hell and back and destroy what's left of the global economy, but trying to encourage a softening of positions by going "no, you first" should definitely be thought.

I also favor sanctioning all the local level officials who swept the Covid reports under the rug because if I was their overboss back in China, they would be rotting in a Wuhan prison for "criminal negligence" and as many corruption charges as I could get out of them.
    I knew it would come to this one day. I knew, and no one believed.

I'm going to build a statue of all the big brains from here in order to immortalize all this headass posting.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Hitler has little or nothing more than the atrocities to his name though, while Columbus is the effective European discoverer of the Americas. And well, Hitler's atrocities are thoroughly documented and known, whereas Columbus' might still be Black Legend hokey? Dunno.

I mean there are contemporaneous accounts from assorted bureaucrats likely less concerned with his treatment of the indigenous population but quite peeved at, shall we say, his despotic judge/jury/executioner form of governance who relayed their complaints of Columbus back to the crown thus lending credence to our modern-day interpretation of him being a generally depraved and bloodthirsty individual. The racism is mostly mentioned in passing but it is there.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendant View Post
    I mean there are contemporaneous accounts from assorted bureaucrats likely less concerned with his treatment of the indigenous population but quite peeved at, shall we say, his despotic judge/jury/executioner form of governance who relayed their complaints of Columbus back to the crown thus lending credence to our modern-day interpretation of him being a generally depraved and bloodthirsty individual. The racism is mostly mentioned in passing but it is there.
    And the neutrality and accuracy of these accounts have apparently also been questioned.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to build a statue of all the big brains from here in order to immortalize all this headass posting.
    Funny how you post that just after the posts criticizing communist China and communism, in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Hitler has little or nothing more than the atrocities to his name though, while Columbus is the effective European discoverer of the Americas. And well, Hitler's atrocities are thoroughly documented and known, whereas Columbus' might still be Black Legend hokey? Dunno.
    From what I gather, the numbers are baloney. The fact the guy offed natives wasn't, but it was either that or be written off the history books by his boss, Queen Isabel herself. Reminder: she also pretty much expelled the Jewish from Spain.

Much of the weight of Christopher's worst acts was the result of being under orders from someone who had plenty to choose from to enforce them, and never was attempted on monumental scales like in NA. After all, mestizaje was encouraged at several points in history and a form of feudalism similar to the system in the New World until fairly late.

The bad part was the social stratification it caused and marred development for a while. It happened in Spain as well and was only terminated due to a series of upheavals that made the country lose the Great Power baton it commanded.

- - - Updated - - -

Too late...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    And the neutrality and accuracy of these accounts have apparently also been questioned.
    As has the idea of the Black Legend as something meaningful regarding Columbus. Even then we're left with someone who was a slaver and did nothing to alleviate the effects of a pandemic, instead exarcebating it or punish the acts of his men who went crazy. That's not exactly negated by "discovering" the Americas or worth memorializing. Not a great hill to die on.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Funny how you post that just after the posts criticizing communist China and communism, in general.
    Yeah, but I think China's too big to be allowed to fail. More than this, we need some kind of Thaw to soften the hardliners or rat them out of office. If one thing was good in all this, it was the stability that a single party afforded.

I always said you could have a single party democracy where different interpretations leads to different ideological bents in the party itself: everyone would, in theory, act as if they were independent candidates and the party would be more like an electoral office... though the issue is that having factions in charge of the office means the party favors the faction who currently sits.

Like, if I was Xi, I would've still been hawkish on the US (South China Sea... MINE!) and the like, but stuff like the Great Firewall, relaxing autonomy rules for Hong Kong, Tibet and Xinjiang and all this shit I would've allowed. Remind the people why you are the good guy and not just make them resent you.

But the HK extradition bill was kind of necessary because you run into issues if you overlook it (what happens if a Hong Kong national flees home after being charged in Japan?)

Like, at the very least, strip the guys who pull this shit off their right of abode until they are extradited to the third country... and if a crime is committed in Mainland China, they are sentenced in absentia there and the HK authorities are forced to enforce this ruling within Hong Kong with the nearest equivalent sentence.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, but I think China's too big to be allowed to fail. More than this, we need some kind of Thaw to soften the hardliners or rat them out of office.
    Ah, so the only thing wrong with the Holocaust was that it was enacted when the Third Reich was too weak or small? Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "hardliners". When China gets rid of people that the world views as "criminals", they aren't doing so to punish crime based on their own laws, but rather they are just trying to set up a scapegoat. Essentially, this is the equivalent of punishing the huntsman for killing Snow White (even though he didn't), instead of the evil queen.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Ah, so the only thing wrong with the Holocaust was that it was enacted when the Third Reich was too weak or small? Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "hardliners". When China gets rid of people that the world views as "criminals", they aren't doing so to punish crime based on their own laws, but rather they are just trying to set up a scapegoat. Essentially, this is the equivalent of punishing the huntsman for killing Snow White (even though he didn't), instead of the evil queen.
    The Third Reich went out of its way to expand and extinguish a whole civilization. China's only crimes have been fueled by an unholy marriage of ambition and vindictiveness. This could be solved by eliminating the source (the party isn't a source. If tomorrow every CPC member died and was replaced by a millennial Chinese, the party would change but remain) of the issue. Remember many, if not the majority of the party, are all Veterans from the Civil War, Cultural Revolution or otherwise influenced by them. However, there will be a reconning. The current generation no longer buys the bullshit emerging from older people's gobs and China will never be the exception. What will happen in the US in the next 20 years will happen around 10 years later in China as the initial members of the existing party die out and are replaced.

Also, be aware that the victim in this case was sentenced condemned by Japanese authorities, so it isn't like it was a power play.

If I were to decide on ways to mount pressure and accelerate the "molting" of the establishment, I'd encourage the countries to start restricting the mobility of big shot CPC members (not civilians) and try to get at their dirty laundry and filter it into China. The idea is that political and social sanctions do not negatively affect the common folk because there are no ties between them... on the other hand, the Chinese public will start wondering why a public servant is so pissed at the idea of staying grounded in China... after all, ain't he a public servant?

This kind of mounts pressure on the party to get "fresh blood" and renew itself. Though it would play it safe at the start, eventually, they will have to get less selective and you get an increasing amount of people endorsing reforms to everything.

No establishment is a monolithic bloc that cannot be changed. The fact Nikita Khrushchev got into power in the USSR and Trump made himself POTUS even when there were less unsavory candidates available, should be all the proof one needs that reform is possible without needing more bloodshed.

TL;DR The CPC will soften when it sells the Old Guard (old meaning "pre Internet era") out and replaces them all with people who know Winnie The Pooh pissed Xi off for some retarded reason because Dr Emperor can't take a joke.

JP Friend Code
    The Third Reich went out of its way to expand and extinguish a whole civilization. China's only crimes have been fueled by an unholy marriage of ambition and vindictiveness.
    I dunno, China seems to be going out of their way to try and extinguish the Uigurs...

Blog Entries
    Somewhat related, but has anyone seen the usual CCP supporters post since the HK law took effect? I don't remember seeing Rx post recently.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

Welcome to how Confucianism infused societies deal with minorities. The alternative is forgetting them.

But I don't recall this being the standard procedure earlier, so this is definitely tied to the current iteration of the political apparatus.