Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daphne Quest (Harry Potter CYOA)

As American as a foreign immigrant EnigmaticFellow's Avatar

Daphne Quest (Harry Potter CYOA)

GMed by Enigmatic Fellow and alfheimwanderer

You are Daphne Greengrass, a prospective first year of the esteemed school for Hogwarts. Being the scion of a prestigious family of witches and wizards, it's only natural that you were accepted.

While finally being able to go to school makes you feel ecstatic, there is still the fact that there are familial expectations for high performance along with the threats that your peers may pose. While in the roughest sense, it might not be inaccurate to call them 'friends', the truth behind friendship in polite society, which everyone knows, but no one talks about, is that every one of them is willing to throw the others under a carriage in order to further their own goals.

Knowing this, you decided to work on a certain skill in advance in order stay ahead of the game.

[] Conversation skills
    [] Knowledge of family trees
    [] Basic Spells

Having just boarded the train, you manage to catch some interesting gossip - the Boy-Who-Lived may be coming to Hogwarts this year. Which house he will be in has been a topic of much interest to your peers, as well as what he is capable of. Personally, you're curious too, but have other concerns on your mind.

The most immediate of these is where to sit: the cabin with your friends or the empty cabin? Both have their advantages. Catching up with with your peers ensures that you are up to date with the latest gossip and know what has been going on among your future housemates. Meanwhile, going to the empty cabin could let you learn something new by talking to someone not normally within your circle, and as much as Ravenclaw is said to be the house of Knowledge, Slytherins value it too, for how that knowledge can be applied.

So where will you go?

[] Cabin with friends
    [] Empty cabin

Welcome to Daphne Quest everyone. Before we get everything started, let's go over a few rules. Daphne has a few skills she can work on in order to make her life easier. They are conversation, history, intrigue, and spells. Conversation concerns with how well Daphne can talk to her peers, mainly things like the ability to convince and flatter people. History concerns past knowledge of the wizarding world. Intrigue deals with plotting machinations, and current happenings of the wizarding world. And spells mainly deals with the various spells that Daphne learns. Each spell gets their sub-categories which can be worked on. All the choices in this quest will increase Daphne's skills in these various categories, but it will be up to the player to determine which choice does what and how to allocate them. And with that, good luck participating in this quest.
    Last edited by EnigmaticFellow; January 27th, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerang View Post
    Gilgamesh has A Lck.

wut bout that
    His fate as the most powerful Servant is to steamroll every war he takes part in.

Somehow, he manages to defy all odds and deny this fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    If only I could be respected without having to be respectable.

What Fate/Stay Night character are you?
    Kotomine Kirei
    You are Kirei. You've always been a little different from the rest. You probably have low social skills. Whatever, it's not like what they think matters anyway. Ever searching for something missing within you, you probably don't experience the same happiness as everyone else. Good and evil are just labels, you are who you are.

Blog Entries
    [x] be rescued by fred and thelma after falling into the trap for the monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    [X] Conversation skills
    [X] Empty cabin

Going to make the wizard mob in Hogwarts.

Tiger Dojo Can't Stop Won't Stop Nephirin's Avatar
    [x] Conversation
    [x] Empty Cabin
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    That's too simple and clear. It definitely can't be the right answer.
    It has to be something that makes no sense at all so we can say that Nasu is wrong.

Blog Entries
    [X] Knowledge of family trees
    [X] Cabin with friends

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So i gotta ask what's up the harry potter choose your own adventures? Are they like all linked, or is there just a sudden rise in popularity?

As far as I know, there's only two HP CYOAs here. Also, this will be a pure HP story with no Nasuverse elements.
    Spoiler:
    Gilgamesh has A Lck.

wut bout that
    His fate as the most powerful Servant is to steamroll every war he takes part in.

Kotomine Kirei
    You are Kirei. You've always been a little different from the rest. You probably have low social skills. Whatever, it's not like what they think matters anyway. Ever searching for something missing within you, you probably don't experience the same happiness as everyone else. Good and evil are just labels, you are who you are.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Guys, just so you know, we're closing the vote tonight in a few hours. So if you want to get your opinion heard, please cast your votes now!

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six mangafreak7793's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    [] Basic Spells
    [] Empty cabin

Teasing the Penguin God!

[] Conversation skills
    [] Cabin with friends

[3:01 AM] IRun: Erika's pirate hat was amazing.
    [3:04 AM] IRun: She could plunder my booty anyday of the week
    Spoiler:
    [15:02:37] IRun: ayyyyy
    [15:03:52] IRun: the h-scenes in EXS are also generally pretty based
    [15:03:55] IRun: so much paizuri

@Beyond
    The vote has been called quite a while ago.

Anyways, the upcoming post for the CYOA is getting looked over.
    Spoiler:
    Gilgamesh has A Lck.

wut bout that

Kotomine Kirei

Feeling a bit adventurous, and wanting a chance to learn something from fresh company, you enter the empty cabin with the grace expected of you and sit down. Not long after, a young woman enters as well, a blonde wearing robes trimmed with blue, adorned with a badge with emblazoned with the letter 'P' - P for Prefect, of course.

"Hello there," said the new arrival. "We prefects normally sit in a car of our own, but couldn't help but notice a first year all alone as I was making my rounds. Penelope Clearwater, by the way."

You can't say that 'Clearwater' is a surname you're familiar with. Perhaps this person is a muggleborn or a half-blood taking a muggle name? Either way, you probably wouldn't want your peers to learn of this encounter in the case the former was true.

"Greetings, Prefect Clearwater, my name is Daphne Greengrass. It's a pleasure to make the acquaintance of someone of your exalted position who is willing to keep a first year company."

"No need to thank me, I only thought it was the right thing to do, since first year can be bothersome if you don't know anyone. Still I am rather surprised that you didn't join your peers."

Could the prefect possibly be talking about the rumors of the Boy Who Lived being in this train, which a good number of her fellow first years had acted on, actively prowling the train in search of him?

"I see no reason to do that after arriving so late on the train. No doubt the cabin he's in is already filled to the brim. There's no point in pursuing something already lost."

"Wise words," the prefect said approvingly.

Before the conversation could continue, another student around Clearwater's age entered the cabin. He was wearing robes identical to your conversation partner, as well as that same badge.

"Ah, Penelope, so that was where you were. Here I was, busy guiding a first year to an available cabin, and on my way back, I find you slacking on the job?"

"Oh, sod off, Hilliard. The head boy and girl will understand that keeping a first year company is good use of my time."

"Well, if you say so. Anyways, I'm off to finish my rounds. Catch you later."

You hear the remaining prefect grumble for a bit, catching words like 'prankster' and 'no right'. It's probably best for you to wait until she composes herself before going on.

Not too long afterwards, the two of you then continue your conversation. It was small talk for the most part. However...

"A word of advice. Professor Snape always asks a question concerning the Draught of Living Death in his first lesson. You can easily score some house points if you volunteer to answer it."

Before too long, the train reaches its destination. The older girl left your cabin before the trip was finished, so you depart with the other first years to be ferried into Hogwarts. And before too long, you find yourself in a line with a number of other students to get sorted into your houses, alongside the people you will call friends for the next seven years.

"Daphne Greengrass," the austere voice of Professor McGonagall then calls out to you.

Before the hat was completely on your head, the worn headwear immediately exclaimed "Slytherin!"

The other selections didn't surprise you that much. The Weasley was quickly sorted into Gryffindor while Draco and his retinue were sorted into Slytherin.

It was then that the most anticipated sorting began when the hat was put upon the head of Harry Potter. Unlike many of the other students it sorted, the Sorting Hat took its time, muttering into the ear of the Boy Who Lived.

"Ravenclaw!" The hat unexpectedly announced. All but one house was puzzled when Potter walked towards the Ravenclaw table, though most at least politely clapped. Certainly not the cheer Gryffindor would have made, or the dead silence that would probably have resulted if he'd gone into Slytherin. Well, so you think.

And then the Feast finished, with everyone led off to their dormitories in order to rest for the first day of class.

So, what three classes will Greengrass focus on the most for this year?

[] Astronomy
    [] Charms
    [] Defense Against the Dark Arts
    [] Herbology
    [] History of Magic
    [] Potions
    [] Transfiguration
    Spoiler:
    Gilgamesh has A Lck.

wut bout that

Kotomine Kirei

Let's see... DADA sucked in the first year, as I recall. So let's go with Charms, Transfiguration, and Potions.
    It has to be something that makes no sense at all so we can say that Nasu is wrong.

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure that second year's DADA was shit, while the two-face was a very capable lecturer.

[X] Potions
    [X] Transfiguration
    [X] Charms

Quote Originally Posted by R.Lock View Post
    I'm pretty sure that second year's DADA was shit, while the two-face was a very capable lecturer.
    I was under the impression that first year was shit and second year was worse. Then third and fourth years are good, followed by the awful fifth year.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Thedoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephirin View Post
    I was under the impression that first year was shit and second year was worse. Then third and fourth years are good, followed by the awful fifth year.
    Fourth year was probably ironically the best.

[] Transfiguration
    [] Astronomy
    [] Potions

[3:01 AM] IRun: Erika's pirate hat was amazing.
    [3:04 AM] IRun: She could plunder my booty anyday of the week
    Spoiler:
    [15:02:37] IRun: ayyyyy
    [15:03:52] IRun: the h-scenes in EXS are also generally pretty based
    [15:03:55] IRun: so much paizuri

Anyways, calling the vote here. I'll get started with the post.
    Spoiler:
    Gilgamesh has A Lck.

wut bout that

Kotomine Kirei

Well, your first days of classes were rather uneventful. Only the basics that you were already taught were really brought to attention. And with charms, it's as if you already know a third of the subject since you already memorized some basic spells.

Still, some classes did offer you some difficulty. Transfiguration, in particular, was a rather complicated field to get into. So much so that you decided to put more effort into it than your other classes. Meanwhile, potions is another hard subject due to its subtleties. From what Clearwater and your textbook told you, potioneering's difficulty comes from the fact that a potion brewer must have an intricate understanding of the preparation, ingredients, heat, and stirring methods among other things to strive to competent levels.

As a Slytherin, it would serve you well to perform to the potions professor's satisfaction seeing that he happens to be your head of house.

And it is with that thought that you enter Friday's class. While most of your house mates were simply watching Professor Snape give out the lecture and grill a certain red head when he acted inappropriately, you were waiting for the opportune moment.

"Mr. Weasley, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

All that Ron could do was stare blankly. Chances are that Professor Snape was using the boy as a springboard for anyone in Slytherin to answer the question. Something made all the more apparent when he turned towards the Slytherin side of the class.

"Does anyone know the answer to that question?"

Not too soon, you raised your hand and allowed the professor to acknowledge you.

"That would create the Draught of the Living Death, sir."

Instead of simply praising, or at least even bothering to acknowledge the fact that you answered correctly, the potions master pressed on.

"Ms. Greengrass, where would you look if I were to asked you to find a bezoar?"

Given the ease of this question, it appears that Professor Snape just wants an excuse to give Slytherin even more points since he knows that you would be able to answer it. And it looks like you're not the only one who realized that as a girl with brown hair on the other side of the class looked your way. Meanwhile, another brown-haired girl continued to raise her hand despite the fact that no one is looking her way or is willing to acknowledge her.

"You would find it in the stomach of a goat, sir."

"And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

"They are both Aconite."

"Good, Ms. Greengrass. That would be five points for knowing the first question, and another five points for reading your text book."

He then turns around.

"Well, why aren't you all copying this down?"

After a terse lecture which lasted for the rest of the first class, the potions master then asked for groups of two to be formed for a practical lesson.

You were about to ask one of your friends to partner up with you when someone else came up to you. Upon closer inspection, you recognize her as the same person looking your way as you were answering the professor's questions.

"Sorry to interrupt you, but I noticed that you answered those questions correctly earlier. My name is Fay Dunbar, and my friend is too under the weather to go to class today. It may seem a bit weird, but would you mind partnering up with me for at least this lesson?"

And it is a bit weird for her to say that seeing as the both of you are from two different houses who just happen to be great rivals. No doubt your peers would find such an arrangement to be queer as well; however, you do know that Dunbar is at least a pureblood family. Not to mention an enemy of the Malfoys. While you can't exactly go against the Malfoy scion directly, having someone you know willing to do that for you can be useful seeing that most Slytherins will likely be siding with Draco for now.

[] Partner up with Dunbar
    [] Partner up with another Slytherin
    Spoiler:
    Gilgamesh has A Lck.

wut bout that

Kotomine Kirei