Page 1 of 21 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Moon White Redux (RP)

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fate/Moon White Redux (RP)

---------------- When I came to, I was in a freezing field.

I guess the island had been finally swallowed by the blizzard. I could not see anything but white in every direction my eyes turned to. It was as if the snow had blinded me, once and for all. The familiar city had been swept away completely, leaving nothing but a husk of truth behind for us two. Serene, morbid silence that held no peace for anyone listening; just echoes of thousands and thousands of people killed, screaming out their justified anger.

---------------- But that didn’t last long either.

The screams would die by the time sun would rise again. As long as it would take, there would be an end to their torment. Still, as long as the cursed, pale moon watched us from the thick, black sky, dotted by stars, we were cursed to wait in this hell that I had once called home.

… I would have been lying if I didn’t feel it to be oddly exhilarating. To be the only living thing still retaining its form, its mind, its soul… it was almost as if I had been chosen. Of course, fate had nothing to do with this. The outcome of this event was decided by our wits alone. Therefore, despite feeling like I was the prophesied victory… I was naught but the humiliated loser.

The fact that I was still alive was mere mockery on his part.

There was no mercy to be found in this snowy wasteland. Emotions as feeble as that had no place in here. As I crawled across the white banks, leaving behind a red trail like stroke of a brush on a canvas, I came to understand it very clearly: everything was over. There would be no more bloodshed, apart from my own fatal wounds. Pain was irrelevant, too, as it simply made me lose focus from my actual goal.

Over and above everything else, I simply wanted to live for a while longer. Just minute more, just a second more, to gaze at this desolate landscape that we had brought upon this world.

But hope had died along with the island.

These were my very last moments, few rebellious breaths before the embrace of awaiting darkness took over me. I knew it just by looking around, etching the landscape of devastation into my mind. The pure white hell, the absolute oblivion that patiently waited for me.

Eventuality came as promised. My strength left me, and thus I slumped against the cold ground. The wounds I had suffered had already killed me, and I had already lost too much blood. With meager smile, I turned around to gaze at the moon and stars above.

The storm had died out. That was the only relief given to me.

Black clouds, like burnt snow, travelled across the sky, as if to block the great observer that judged this last bout of ours.

“It’s over, Iota. You’ve lost this time.”

I hear his voice. He announces his victory just like that, without any fanfare or gloating. Had he grown tired of it all in the end? Had he became bored despite my best efforts? Had he found no joy in this game we played? Or, perhaps…

… Did his blackened heart feel a tinge of sympathy for this poor loser?

A blade cuts the air, and strikes deep into my heart. I hear a squelching sound my red center is pierced. It was a move devoid of anything unnecessary. There was simply the elegance of killing, the art that mankind had yet to truly master. Being killed in such a way… even I could not find anything to complain about it. Thus, I offered my last smile before the world around me faded away.

And so, the game draws to a conclusion. Black Queen checkmates the White King, and the curtain falls. My heart was dead long before my body was.

There was nothing simple in this story.

And yet it keeps happening.

Because it is an endless loop.

I remember them all. How could I forget even after all these years? The stars that dot the sky, and the patterns they create. Watching them, always so far away from me, out of my hands reach… they were my guardians even if we were forever apart. It was a distance that could not be crossed with something as meager as my feet. Therefore, I had to imagine, and I had to make that imagination come true.

Inside my mind, I can still see the patterns I created to fill those lonely days.

The brave sisters. The protective brother. The old teacher. The young student. The listening ear and the comforting hand. Mother’s warmth and father’s guidance. A promise of first love.

It was all that I had, and it was everything I ever needed. Inside my own head, I created a family to love me, and one to love back. Here, under the snow, in the white mansion with nothing but a room and a bed, no boundaries existed. I could create everything with my own imagination. It was a perfect world made true only with simplest of wishes.

---------------- I was happy.

Of course, all things have an end. So did my perfect little world. There were no places to hide from the reality outside that white mansion where I had hidden myself. Years went by so fast that I could not even begin to count them. I learned again of the painful things that fill this world… yet I also learned of the things that make one smile.

I wanted to smile more than anything.

Yet through every moment of joy, every moment of hardship, I kept those stars and their patterns hidden away in my heart. They were there, safely locked with a golden key; something I could always return to whenever reality seemed too much to bear. It was the family that was waiting for me with open arms, despite the things that I had done. Unconditional love was no flight of fancy or a mere fantasy as long as it existed solely within the realms of my mind.

… Sound paradoxical, does it not?

Yes. It was a paradox I could not escape forever. The whiteness was eventually stained by black. A song in my head that would not go away, no matter how hard I tried. It was a call to face the reality before me, and the responsibility of things I had done to get there.

It was the song taught to be by that man, and for that, I will forever curse his name.

It is the song that denies all that the child in me wished for.

In other words…

… It is the song that denies my self.

Phase: Day 2/3
    Time: 14:02
    Day: January 12th
    Average Temperature: -26 C
    Weather: Partly Cloudy

"This is Captain Motohara speaking. We have now entered the air-space of Tengetsu island, and we are preparing for the landing shortly."

The announcement came from the crackling speakers of the phone, reaching both ends of the plane with dubious certainty. Still, those who heard the muffled announcement began slowly putting their trays up and zipping up their bags. The hustle and bustle started spreading throughout the plane’s interiors like wildfire, and soon there was no passenger who would not have gotten the message.

And indeed, if one looked out from the window, one could see their destination already.

There, far below the Hokkaido Airlines plane that currently soared through the sky, was the island of Tengetsu. Perhaps the most northernmost inhabited area belonging to Japan, though only for 40 years or so. Before that, it had been owned by Germany. Nowadays, it had become something of a shining beacon of hope when it came to modernization of rural areas of Japan.

Still, not everyone was happy about it. Many were the voices who called for restoration of old values and ways that the island had upheld before the war. Add into that a considerable foreign population still living on the island, and you got yourself a powder-keg of freezing temperatures. Especially now, during the winter, as the Great Blizzard approached the island, drawing in even more tourists from across the globe.

Yes, the “Great Blizzard”, which had made into the headlines of a local newspaper. It was an annual event that happened every year during January. For the duration of three or four weeks the island was almost completely cut off from the rest of the world by a violent sea wind that brought in a blizzard from the snowy wastes of Siberia. While it had been a test for the locals in ancient times when food was scarce, now it was simply a display of nature’s ruthless grandeur. Just like the island, the Great Blizzard had to learn to adapt to these changing times. Still, it did mean that no planes could land on the island during this time, and even ships were advised not to test their luck. Having had enough experience with the phenomena during the centuries, the islanders knew how to prepare for it.

Still, things were not completely flawless. Just below the article about the blizzard one could see something that would have definitely scared away a couple of tourists. Apparently, a foreign clergyman had been murdered few days ago, and because of that, the local members of Church were furious like ants of an attacked nest. A group of pissed-off priests did not really please local believers of Shinto, and thus, one could only imagine the tension brewing in the air. But for a hapless tourist who did not bother reading anything but the front-page, such things were inconsequential.

… Of course, anyone who had come to Tengetsu in other business might find this alarming.

Still, the weather looked gorgeous, and judging by the lights that lit up above everyone’s heads, along with the tugging feeling in their stomachs, the plane had begun its descend. It would not be long now before they touched down on the airport.

“Okay, everyone! Quiet down!”

The strict voice of Miss Fukui was enough to momentarily quiet down the murmur that had spread throughout the classroom. Students of class 2-B had been waiting for this moment most of the day, their curious eyes occasionally shooting glances towards the door, which was slightly ajar. It only took Miss Fukui one annoyed grunt and narrowing of eyes to snap the students into attention once more.

Once the classroom was deathly quiet, the black-haired teacher adjusted her glasses and put the file in her hands to the table in front of her. She looked over the classroom, all 26 students in it, and started speaking with somewhat warmer voice.

“I know you have been restless because of this, but I still expect you to remember your manners. Remember that first impressions are everything,” Miss Fukui said. “Having said that, I think there is someone out there who is ready to make his first impression on us.”

Upon hearing the term “him” used, some of the boys in the class groaned audibly. This was quickly silenced by glare from the bespectacled teacher. Having regained the control of the room once more, Miss Fukui turned towards the door with a slight smile, nodding to the shadow waiting on the other side.

“You may enter, Kirisaki-kun.”

Blog Entries
    Kiyoko Miyamoto

Ah it's been so long since I've been to Tengetsu for training! I wonder how Sourokurou-san, Onii-san, and Sen-chan have been! It has been about ten years since I've last seen them after all. I can't wait to meet them again! Being sent to watch the Miyamoto shrine in Tengetsu and this "Holy Grail War" even gives me a reason to visit them!

And speaking of this war, I don't like the sound of someone calling war a "game." It just isn't right! War is bad and people get hurt in them! Why can't we share the Grail or give it to the person who has the noblest wish? And if someone is being bad, I'll stop them and give them a lecture!

However, I should clean up my new shrine before I do anything else! I think the previous miko left... a month ago? So I'll probably be busy cleaning till the sun goes down. I would like to visit everyone today, but I'm sure everyone at the Yamaichi Shrine would appreciate me showing up tomorrow instead of tonight. So hopefully this plane will land soon!
    Last edited by Kuroyuki; February 11th, 2015 at 01:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Shimamura Mirai

To be honest, this is my first time flying. A-at least it’s going really smoothly. It’s a bit scary—I’m not really a heights person… Looking down just makes my legs quiver. I remember when Nii-san would drag me on the roller coaster and then laugh at me when I could barely stand up straight when it was all over.

The thought of Nii-san brings a sigh to my lips, and I stare out the window, into the cloudy sky. It’s hard to think there’ll be a blizzard, huh? I’m going to miss an entire month of school without repercussions. Papa really knows how to pull strings, hehe, but I can’t even make up for lost time.

After all, I won’t have any time to study. I’m busy today… There’s a lot I have to do. First and foremost, I have to get… hmm, but maybe if I… No, I definitely have to do that first.

I open the pack of peanuts they gave me earlier and start munching. There’s still a bit of time before I have to think about all of that!
    Last edited by Katie; February 11th, 2015 at 01:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ryougi Kirame

"This is Captain Motohara speaking. We have now entered the air-space of Tengetsu island, and we are preparing for the landing shortly."

“Finally.” Stretching, I say the first word I’ve said since I boarded this plane. It wasn’t a long fight, but knowing that I was going to a place for the purpose of battle has left me more impatient than usual. Spending the entire flight on my own didn’t help either. I was almost bored enough to consider dozing off to pass the time.

I must be getting too accustomed to traveling with company. Traveling by myself like this wouldn’t have been any problem a year ago. I guess in at least one way I’ve changed recently, but not too much. I still managed to keep myself in check despite my boredom. The time I’ve been spending with that shrimp hasn’t dulled me completely.

Still, I wish this flight would just be done and over with.

Looking out my window I see the island further ahead. Tengetsu looks like a giant white rock surrounded by the sea from up here. My expectations were low to begin with, but it really is a dull looking place. People speak of the island as a beacon of hope in the nationwide efforts to modernize the rural parts of Japan. I even heard someone call it a white jewel, but all I see is coal. A single city surrounded by a wasteland of snow.

Hardly that ‘shining beacon’ when I see it myself.

Not that it matters. I’m not here for sightseeing, so there’s no reason to linger on my disappointment. I’ve seen plenty of backwater villages in the last few years, this one’s just surrounded by water and covered in snow. If I think of it like that, it isn’t very different. The only thing I need to worry about right now is that blizzard that I read about. I don’t like the idea of getting stuck on a frozen rock for longer than I need to be.

I feel a slight tugging feeling in my stomach. I guess that means we’re starting our descent. I’ll wait a little longer then. I’m sure I’ll be busy day and night once this starts, so I should take it easy while I can. Even if relaxing is boring.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Xander Stone

It was so pretty.

Like a single diamond floating in the stormy waves, the shining island of white snow floated below. Whether you looked at the mountain jutting from the island’s center as an earthen crown, the thick forest that held uncountable secrets or the the sparkling fireflies of the city, the island was clad in an endless expanse of pure white.

“An island that is always cold, huh?”

It really was pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Motohara
    Erk...I lost track of myself again. Breath in. Breath out.

Below me is Tengetsu, the site for the Holy Grail War. The place where I can be freed. What was it that the letter had said? To contact a supervisor at the Yamaichi Temple; yes, that had been it.

Alright then. I have my winter clothes, and I’ll pick up my bags once we land. I didn’t forget anything, right? No, no, everything should be fine.

I just hope I don’t get lost...
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Azama Tae

"..."

The Holy Grail War.

Rather than a curse or a blessing, it's another obstacle blocking my road. These markings engraved in my right hand, now concealed under my gloves, are the proof I've been invited to participate as a Master in a deadly ritual I never wanted to be a part of. A coward I am not but, had I been granted the chance, I would have abandoned any thoughts of ever coming to this island. However, it just happens I've got some unfinished business to take care of there. A matter that my heart cannot afford to put off for a month, when the 'Great Blizzard' leaves Tengetsu in peace. I cannot lose sight of this trail, which tells me to go back to the beginning.

Trapped inside with eight killers, each of them worthy of being 'Master'... There is no doubt in my mind that among them are powerful individuals whose might and wits surpass my own, but I can't say I am afraid. I will gain nothing from being scared, and thus I discard that emotion entirely. No, that's wrong. I am still human... There is no way for me to erase things like fear or ignore how nervous I am. But I can hide them under the mask that is my demeanor and push forward.

I can only move forward now.

As the pilot announces our descent, I finish skimming over the local news. To the other Masters, most of what happens in Tengetsu that's unrelated to their 'game' must be of no concern to them. But for me... Even the smallest piece of information could spell salvation. Folding the newspaper after I find my time for reading is running out, I unzip my bag and place it inside. I will look at it more thoroughly later.

"..."

Last I remember, the cold temperatures in this island are merciless and should be even more so during this time of the year.

I hate the cold...

Why she would stay to live here of all places is still beyond me...

... But I feel I'll find my answers soon.
    Last edited by hero; February 11th, 2015 at 08:36 AM.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mister Delacroix

He was, without a doubt, in hell.

This was it. Finally his misdeeds had caught up to him. Divine retribution had taken shape in this flying box he would usually avoid at all costs. Ignoring any safety instructions the man loosened the seatbelt as much as he could. He was shifting in his seat. Slightly, but rapidly, as if trying to lull himself into a trance that would, if not make it all stop, at least make it so that he would no longer have to perceive any of it.

There wasn't a single element that truly defined this place of torment. The permanent, unshakable feeling of falling into a bottomless abyss. The knowledge that, below there was only water, water he would not be able to navigate in this getup for too long. A two piece suit that had seen better days, coming apart at the shoulders and fraying at the legs, a simple white shirt with the bottom button missing and dress shoes.

Of course, the thought that he might be able to shake those clothes off, or that his strength and endurance might give him a way to survive regardless, did not cross his mind. Maybe the fear of water was instinctual for his kind, even if he managed to cross it.

Not that he particularly wanted to. Or to be more clear, not that he wanted to in this moment. On the ground he was quite sure that he wanted to. But no plan survives contact with the enemy, be it an intricate weave of tactical actions or the simple, almost whimsical decision to go for a little island vacation.

Not that that was the real reason to come here either. But the man had problems being honest, and those that had a tendency to "embellish the truth", as he liked to call it, also tended to have a tendency to lie to themselves. In fact, he must be the man he lies to the most, by virtue of being stuck with himself all day.

Another compounding factor to this nightmare was the smell. Not his own, it was uncommon for him to sweat. He had deadened his temperature sensibility quite a bit, and it might have something to do with the fact that his body was not strictly...well, alive. But the smell surrounding him. He had a "drink" not too long ago, a cute flight attendant before his connecting flight who probably pictured his advances ending in a different way. More face-to-face separation, less head-from-neck separation. But in a strange subversion of usual fight-or-flight responses he felt he could really go for another.

Right now.

It was different from a bus ride where the open windows would allow at least some circulation of the smell. Here, locked up in the air the salty, almost rotten aroma of sweat only kept compounding into an irresistible cloud. It almost took him back to his time on that other island and his mother's modest but excellent cooking. But any action of his in this regard would most certainly spell doom for him. Even if he managed to make the pilot land this plane, god knows how, there was still that story.

In Freelancer circles legends circulated about some Japanese national who was so greedy for reward money he straight up shot a plane with one of his kind, and his own mother of all things, out of the sky. No, this was not something he could risk. He did not think a second about how unlikely such a thing would be. In this hell, everything that might go wrong, would go wrong.

Locked in what he perceived to be a permanently falling bus full of tasty-smelling spiced grilled chicken, he hoped the descent would be over soon.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Dranes's Avatar
    Kirisaki Homura

...Cold.

I can't feel anything.

I should have known with my luck that the school would have some sort of weird heating system, after all it seems to be a recurring theme with my stay already and I only arrived yesterday. From that ballistic first meeting with Tetora-san to that restless first night...not that she believed me when I said it was a ghost. Maybe I was just seeing things, I'm not really used to this type of cold, Fuyuki had snow sure but it never really got this bad.

Well I guess the small bright side is that I can't feel the pain in my right hand anymore either. Ah there's always a bright side isn't there?

...I really am too optimistic sometimes.

Sighing, I look at the wooden door in front of me, a placard with 'Class 2-B' a bit above it and a shadow in the window.

This would be my class for the next year then, as curious as I am about it I have to admit the only thing I want to know is if the room is heated...

I can hear my soon-to-be homeroom teacher talking to the class, time to make myself as presentable as a frosted student can.

A motion by the shadow and I hear my name called.

“You may enter, Kirisaki-kun.”

Time to get going!

I push open the door, the first thing that I notice is that my prayers indeed have been answered. Warmth assaults me as I enter the room, they probably use some old type of heating system that only reaches the classrooms or something...well I guess in that case it makes sense why the hallway was so cold. My first look of the classroom is pretty much what I expected it to be, that and all the students looking sorta expectantly at me, well some of them like that redhead, most of the guys seemed to be goofing off by now.

I'm sort of disappointed though, I mean it was a long shot but she's definitely not here.

But it's really not the time for that. A new school life awaits.

"Good morning everyone, I'm Kirisaki Homura."

Eyes on me now, even some of the guys got out of the stupor.

I give them a smile before grabbing the chalk, I don't really know how it came about but new students normally write their name on the board, probably just so others don't make a mistake. It doesn't take me long to write my own name down and end it with a dash. With a nod I turn back to the class again.

"From Fuyuki and here for the next year, I hope we'll all get along."

A bit cliche but I'm not about to make an idiot of myself.

Not yet anyways. Got a year ahead of me after all.

When it finally came, detaching itself from the darkness to step onto the dusty hardwood flooring of the room, she was already waiting for it. In fact, she was leisurely working her way through her second drink.

"Ah, you're here just in time. Please, grab a seat and make yourself comfortable." At the sound of her voice, a single light came alive, illuminating the room from its hanging perch directly over her chair.

To its credit, the faceless shadow did not flinch, nor show any other indication of surprise, but it did not acquiesce to her request either.

"I'm afraid this is entirely unavoidable; surely you can sense that much," she said with an airy gesture, and the ice cubes in her glass clinked against their container softly. "Besides, have you ever seen a movie where the final confrontation —the climax— is cancelled because the villain ran away?"

Without a motion of protest to its unconsented casting, the shadow slunk to a chair at the far corner of the room, where it sat, silent. Pleased with its cooperativeness, she briefly returned her attention back to the drink she was nursing. For a while, the air hang motionless, soundless, with even the dust having settled on the lacquered planks.

She was the first to speak, again. Blindly fishing a lighter and a slightly crumbled pack of cigarettes from the pocket of her trenchcoat, which was draped over the back of her seat, its tails brushing against the floor despite being folded twice, she flashed the room's other occupant the universally understood gesture of requesting tolerance to their vaporous vices. Its lack of response was gladly interpreted as permission, and she swiftly lit a Chesterfield, taking in its strong and vaguely sweet flavour with relish.

"You've been very obliging to someone as accosting as myself. That's a rare thing these days — it's something I really can appreciate." Shifting from her laid-back pose, almost sprawled on the chair as she were, she propped herself up for a better view at the shadow occupying the corner of the room, in all its formed formlessness. A thing that existed to be not known.

"As I said before, you are here just in time. To be a bit more specific, that time belongs to you. Of course, that does not refer to your lifespan, or something equally trite. It's the time you've been counting since you can remember counting it, from the moment that you first became aware that there is, somewhere, a great ticking clock keeping time for something, and that this something has to do with you."

She leaned forward from her chair, and the ashes of her cigarette crumbled from its tip, spiraling to the floor.

"Its gears creak in a low grind as they turn, and the cycling of its hands ticks away at the edge of your consciousness, ever-slowly inching towards a definite point in the future. It's as vague as the whisper of a coming storm in clear skies, but you are certain it will come; you do not know what it is, but you can feel it lurking at the end of the line. Your line." A long drag from the cigarette punctuated the foreboding statement, but the shadow did not as much as twitch. From afar, beyond this windowless room of long shadows and smoke hanging in the impossibly still air, a rumble echoed like distant thunder.

"To end this detour, and return to the original statement, the punctuality of your arrival pertains to the fact that time —your time— is up. It's all used up. And at the end of the line, in the final chapter, we must now play out our preordained roles."

The rumble came again, closer than before, and its tremors made the empty glass resting on the counter shift precariously.

"The build-up of a thousand pages is behind us, but that, too, is finished. Inconsequential. Who I am, who you are, why I am the hero and you are the villain; all these things are as distant to the 'us' in this room as the sun and the moon."

The rumble was now right outside the room, a violent storm besieging this closed world from all sides. The light over her was flickering wildly, from the faintest glimmer to a shine much brighter than it should have been able to produce. The light swam on the floor, driving the shadows back with its every pulse into the darkest point of the room, the corner, and its seat.

"The endgame has already been carried out. This is merely the victor claiming the prize. Truth."

If she could trust her eyes to not play tricks on her, she'd say that she saw the shadow tauntingly incline its 'head'.

Then, three great pulses, three flashes of light, a deep roar to herald the revelation--!

In the first flash, she saw the green-clad woman, her mocking red eyes gleaming like finely cut gems, and behind her was a golden halo that wreathed her form.

In the second flash, she saw Death, perched on her mighty castle, and behind her was a stone with inscriptions as old as the forests and the hills of her homeland.

In the third flash, she saw a distant form in the heart of a howling blizzard, silently challenging her to follow him beyond the veil, and behind him she saw looming an immense, impossibly beautiful overhanging moon.

And she......

Astrid Hildebrandt

She had fallen asleep. Her legs tucked under her own seat, head resting against a wholly uncomfortable window pane, with a newspaper folded in half and resting on her lap. Blinking the sleep out of her eyes, she picks the newspaper up with one hand, the other blindly groping for her hat, evidently misplaced during her slumber. An awkward stretch did net her the hat, but also an unsettling creaking of her joints, and she plops the wayward habiliment on her head with a resigned tiredness only a long flight can produce.

The page she had been reading before she fell asleep was the article on the murder of the clergyman, but she had already wringed all she could out of the newspaper long before she had settled for rereading it. Still, if one were to consider this murder to have been committed in order to agitate the Church, at this point in time...

Cloudy, with a chance of murder. Now where have I put my coat...

The rumble of the plane as it gradually descends to the winter wonderland of Tengetsu feels to her like an echo from an old, half-forgotten dream.

Blog Entries
    Time: 14:12

The tugging feeling eventually turned into a slightly tumultuous lurch forward as the wheels of the plane hit against the ground and began skipping forward, rubber screeching against the heated surface of the runway. This far up north ice was always a problem on airports, but thanks to the generous donation by the Tennou Corporation, the flight connections from mainland to the island of Tengetsu were always running in good condition. Well, other than during the Great Blizzard. There was only so much you could do with underground heating units and, admittedly, high-powered de-icers and snowcats. At the end of January the temperature could drop as low as -40 Celsius, and on airports, this was no laughing matter.

Still, nothing went wrong today. After some shaking and rumbling coming from the landing gear taking a grip on the surface of the runway, the plane eventually begun slowing down, before decelerating to a pleasant hum and calm stroll across the lane. As was the case with most small airports, there were only few docking ports for the airplane itself, and thus, it took about twenty minutes for Hokkaido Airlines Flight 29 to eventually make it to Terminal 2. The rest of terminals, 1 and 3, were currently loading up passengers, who were mostly locals wishing to get out of the way of the incoming winter.

As the passengers of the flight started heading towards the exit, and the fresh air that awaited beyond that, they were eventually greeted with two grand sights. One was the clear blue sky that stubbornly made its way through the shreds of grey sky here and there. The other sight was the old-looking airport of Tengetsu itself, built during Second World War by German hands. Thus, it differed from local architecture greatly, being firmly western-looking building of stone and concrete. However, at the same time, it was clearly a building that could take anything the winter of this island could throw at it.

Outside, people headed either towards the railway station that had a direct line to the centrum of Tengetsu, or simply hailed a cab if they had to get somewhere specific. And judging from the amount of people with big piles of luggage lining up on the walkway next to the taxi-stops, most of the tourists preferred this way. Still, there were also people who simply chose to loiter around a bit, enjoying the breezy and brisk, if a bit chilly, winter air.

Time: 14:09

As could be expected, the introduction of a transfer student caused a wave of curiosity to sweep across the classroom. The moment Kirisaki had finished his introductions, dozens of hands flew up in the air in the hopes of prodding him for information. Most of them were normal, such as his hobbies, former school, favorite bands and books, if he did any sports... it seemed that the Sayoshigure High School Baseball Team was especially interested in recruiting some new blood, as judged by the twin siblings who kept eyeing Kirisaki up with hungry eyes.

Then, of course, there were some weird questions, too.

"Okay, transfer-student! Who's the best-looking girl in this classroo-UGAH!"

The black-haired boy that had asked that question had his face promptly smashed against his desk by the red-haired girl behind him. Said girl grimaced at the sight and shook her head in disbelief, as if to say that she had expected better of the boy... but judging by the disinterested expressions around the classroom, there was nothing new about this spectacle that unfolded before Kirisaki's eyes.

"Well, I think that's enough of questions," Miss Fukui said and nodded to Kirisaki. "There's not much of the day left, but please, take your seat. You'll be able to get used to the class's atmosphere. You can take the seat... let's see... hm, yes. You can sit there, next to Kichiro-kun."

And by "Kichiro-kun" Miss Fukui apparently meant the boy who was still twitching silently against the surface of his desk.

Blog Entries
    Ryougi Kirame

Ryougi Kirame walked out of the airport and into the cold outside, shivering once as he felt the Tengetsu January cold for the first time. Setting down his traveling bag, a medium sized one that only carried more clothes, the only belongings of his that he had brought on the flight, Kirame buttoned up his shirt and the coat worn over it. Neither were heavy winter garments, and the protection they offered from the cool air wasn’t much, but it was better than leaving his body totally exposed to the cold.

A cloud of smoke-like air left his lips as Kirame let out a long breath, looking upwards toward the blue sky overhead, peeking through the grey of winter. Holding himself there, Kirame idly watched the sky overhead as he began to more seriously think about the Tengetsu winter. He hadn’t packed the heaviest of winter clothing, and while it wasn’t so cold that what he was already wearing wouldn’t manage for the current cold, he knew it could get much colder than this. It wouldn’t be unlikely that he would have to go shop for something heavier. With the infamy surrounding the island’s cold winters it wouldn’t be a problem finding something better suited to the weather, but rather the problem was that he himself wasn’t suited for that kind of errand.

“Maybe I’ll send the shrimp to pick something out.” More clouds of steamy white floated out over the cold air as he spoke to himself.

The image of Kirame wearing a thick winter jacket with questionable print written on the back passed through his mind as he wondered what she would pick out. A chill ran down his spine at the thought of going out wearing something suited to her taste.

“I’ll just do it myself.” It didn’t take long to change his mind about the matter.

The sound of other passengers walking out of the airport, which he had been standing in the entrance of for too long already, pulled Kirame back to earth. Picking up his bag he spotted the taxi stops where other passengers that weren’t taking the train to the city were converging at. Maneuvering past the tourists and their luggage Kirame took a single step out toward the taxis. Seeing one pull up, Kirame shot out of the crowd, moving toward the cab before anyone else could take it. He knew how competitive people could get over taxis, and that the early bird gets the worm.

Giving the driver a wave Kirame opened the back passenger side door, setting his bag in the seat behind on the driver’s side as he seated himself. Reaching into his jacket pocket Kirame pulled out and unfolded a piece of paper full of hastily written down notes and an address written at the bottom. Instructions to reach the place he would be living at during his stay at Tengetsu, given to him over phone from his traveling companion. Reaching up toward the front of the cab Kirame handed the paper to the driver.

“Take me to the place written down at the bottom.”

Taking the paper the driver answered with a “sure thing,” and began the drive toward the written destination. As the tourists and the airport behind them began to fade in the distance the driver made a few attempts at small talk, asking where Kirame was from, why he was visiting Tengetsu, how long he planned to be on the island for, and other such minor topics to open a conversation. All of which Kirame replied to with short, dismissive answers that left it obvious that he wasn’t interested in a conversation.

Seeing that his passenger wasn’t interested in talking the driver asked if it was okay to play music, to which Kirame answered “no problem.”

The rest of the drive passed uneventfully as Kirame watched the snow fields passing through his window.

Time: 14:46

“This the place?” Coming to a stop the driver looked into the back of the cab as he asked Kirame to confirm the destination. A tiny little place that even with written directions was still a hassle to find, and even the cab driver, despite being a local, wasn’t totally sure if it was the right place.

Looking out the window Kirame checked to see if it matched the description. A modest old style Japanese home with a tiny lawn, surrounded by an old wooden fence that looked ready to fall apart at any moment. Patches of grey, lifeless grass were spread out over the lawn, struggling under the winter weather, and from somewhere behind the house grey smoke was rising up into the air, likely from a fireplace.

Rolling down the window Kirame tilted his head to point his ear toward the house. Under the cold wind sailing over the dying grass Kirame picked up a faint ‘plink’ sound repeating over and over from somewhere inside the house. The walls were dampening the noise and quieting it, but even still it was unmistakable to his ears

“Looks like it.” Kirame said, rolling the window back up. Handing the driver the fare, obviously without a trip, Kirame grabbed his bag and left his seat, stepping back out into the cold air of Tengetsu. With one hand holding his bag and his other buried in his pocket Kirame walked toward the fence, the cab behind him shifting out of park and droving off as Kirame shoved the fence’s wooden gate open with his foot. The metal hinges creaked in agony as the force of the shove swung the gate open wide, and at least one screw came loose.

“Oh man.” Kirame groaned, looking back at the gate, now hanging even less steadily than before. “She seriously couldn’t find something better than this?”

Sighing, Kirame complained to himself as he crossed the lawn. At some point there must have been a stone pathway from the gate to the front door, but over time most of the stones must have simply disappeared, leaving only dead grass and lifeless, cold dirt to walk on.

As Kirame approached the door the repeating ‘plink’ from inside the house became louder. Pulling his hand out of the warmth of his jacket pocket Kirame opened the door, at which point the ‘plinks’ grew louder still, and walked in. Taking off his shoes in the entryway and kicking them aside Kirame made his way to the living room over the creaky wooden floorboards.

The living room, surprisingly, managed to beat his expectations. Kirame nearly gasped when he turned the flicked the lights on and they actually worked, revealing a decently sized living space with a blue kotatsu set up in the middle of the room. At the back end of the room was a counter and a small kitchen space with an old, worn out looking fridge.

“Guess it is livable after all.” Dropping his bag beside the wall Kirame moved into the tiny kitchen space, opening the fridge to check what he had to work with. “Water, water, water, juice, water, juice…” Voice trailing off as he listed the contents of the fridge, Kirame slammed the door shut as he finished his inspection. “Does she expect to live without eating?”

Looking over the sink and stovetop Kirame sighed again at the barrenness of the kitchen space. Leaving the issue of food for later Kirame went to the center of the room, seating himself at the kotatsu. Only then did he notice the half-eaten, half-peeled mandarin sitting atop the kotatsu, a tiny fruit knife with a bit of orange on the edge of its blade sitting beside it.

“Oooh.” Taking the mandarin and the knife Kirame began finishing the half-done job of peeling it. As he popped a slice of mandarin into his mouth Kirame leaned back, resting his back against the cold floor as he listened to the much louder than before ‘plinks’ coming from somewhere in the house.

With a frown Kirame looked in the direction the sound was coming from. There was a limit to obliviousness. He had made more than enough noise when he entered, so why was she still back there?

“Oi, shrimp! Get a clue, I’m here already!” Raising his voice Kirame yelled toward the sound, which immediately ceased as soon as he had said the word ‘shrimp.’

A moment later the door in the direction from which the noise was coming from slid open. Or rather, was thrown to the side as the one who had been making the noise burst into the living room, a smudged, slender finger pointing accusingly at Kirame.

“Don’ call me shrimp!” The voice of a young girl that sounded like it was imitating the accent of an old man you’d find living way out in the countryside, or an isolated mountain village, rang out as a short girl with long brown hair tied in a ponytail behind her head, likely not even out of middle school, passed through the door and rushed over toward Kirame. The same smudge that was on her fingers also covered most of her face, save for a clean area around her eyes shaped like goggles, as well as the clothes she was wearing, which appeared to only be the upper half of a jersey.

“What welcome is that?” Kirame asked, popping another slice of mandarin into his mouth, ignoring the girl’s order. “No ‘how was the flight?’, ‘did you have trouble finding the place?’, ‘how was the weather?’”

“Wha- I’s saving that fer later, stop eatin’ it.” Saying so the girl made an attempt to snatch the mandarin away from Kirame, who easily avoided her grabs.

“Come on, share.” He said as he avoided another attempt from her. “You already had half.”

“No! It’s mine. Give it here.” Making another lunge, the girl grabbed at empty space again as Kirame dodged her once again.

“No way.” Kirame said, throwing another slice into his mouth as he avoided her again. “Besides,” he began, chewing as he spoke, “your hands are all dirty.”

“My hands are dirty ‘cause I was doin’ work for yer sake, and tha’s my snack!” Another failed lunge accompanied her explanation. “Ya gotta lotta nerve takin’ my mandarin right after callin’ me a shrimp!”

“A shrimp is a shrimp.” Kirame answered, eating another slice of the mandarin. “You don’t need a whole mandarin anyway, being so small and all.”

“Yooouuuuuu…” Building her strength and all of her agility, the girl lunged one last time, managing to snag a single slice of the mandarin.

“Oh, you got one.” Impressed, Kirame tossed the last bite of the mandarin into his mouth. “Good job.”

Taking her slice the girl bit into it immediately, not even hesitating at how dirty her hands were.

“So, come all this way and didn’ even bring a girl with ya?” She asked, looking down at Kirame who was still resting against the floor, from where he had managed to dodge almost all of her grabs.

A dash of red appeared on the cheeks of Kirame as he sat up surprisingly quickly, coughing and half choking on the mandarin slice he was eating before being struck through the chest like that.

“Wh-what business of yours is that, shrimp?” He quickly shot back. “B-besides,” clearing his throat and getting over the initial stroke of his own inability to handle these kinds of topics, Kirame looked away a bit as he spoke, “I came straight here after the flight. There was no chance of picking up any gir… guests.”

“Hey hey young’n, this’ why yer always alone at night.” Shaking her head the young girl seated herself at the kotatsu, clearly not wanting to stay standing in the cold living room anymore now that she had gotten back what little she could of her mandarin. “’S cold on this island, y’know. Ya should find a pretty lady to cuddle up with when it gets dark.”

“C-cu…” More than one image came to Kirame’s mind, and dash of red turned into a full flush. “I’ll be warm enough on my own!”

The girl silently shook her head at Kirame’s response.

“Wait,” the disapproving head shaking stopped as the more reasonable gears in her head began to turn, “ya came straight here? Not even introducin’ yerself to the city’s bigshots?”

“H-huh?” Off guard at the sudden shift of topic, Kirame looked back toward the girl. “Why would I?”

“Ya numbskull, yer gon’ be makin’ a mess with all yer fightin’, aren’ja.” The girl said, frowning as she answered Kirame’s question. “Ya better go an’ introduce yerself to the people in charge.”

Kirame started to reply, but the girl cut him off before he could say a word.

“Yer gonna need to meet ‘em sooner or later. Better sooner.”

“Can’t it wai-“

“Do it today.” Cutting Kirame off again, the girl ended his protest before it could even begin in a ‘final’ tone.

“… Fine.” After a brief silence at the kotatsu Kirame relented, standing up and leaving the kotatsu’s warmth. “This is your idea, so you had better have an idea of who I should go to.”

With a ‘hmph’ the girl grinned at Kirame’s demand, crossing her arms and closing her eyes as she prepared herself to deliver a matter-of-fact explanation.

“Naturally. Ya should go talk to the mayor first of all, he’s the one runnin’ this city.” The girl explained, throwing in directions on how to get to the villa where he could meet the mayor as Kirame nodded his head at her instructions. “Then there’s this one I heard of when I’s searchin’ for the place, real important lady…”

“Lady?” Kirame interrupted.

“Real important lady, she an’ her group’re in charge of this part of the city.”

“Lady?” Kirame interrupted again.

“Lotsa tension between people livin’ here, or so I heard when I’s findin’ the place.” The explanation continued, ignoring Kirame’s attempt to interject. “What was her name again… Saishuki? Tha’s it. Gyoku Saishuki. See about findin’ her and introducin’ yerself to her while yer at it. Yer gon’ be makin’ all sortsa messes on her land’n all.”

“Uhh, on second thought this really can wait.” Kirame protested, starting to lower himself back down to get under the kotatsu.

“No ya don’t.” An open, grimy palm shot up to his face and cut him off. “Yer goin’ out, like it or not.”

“…” A tense staredown followed as Kirame looked through the girl’s smudgy fingers and met her eyes, which weren’t going to let him back down even an inch. A full moment passed before Kirame let out a sigh and stood back up again as he headed toward the entry. “Alright. Then fetch me my-“

“No.” Cut off again, Kirame turned back to the girl, who was now peeling another mandarin that had seemingly appeared from nowhere. “Yer goin’ to introduce yerself politely, no weapons.”

Kirame didn’t argue back. She was right about that one, so instead he made his way down the creaking hallway and began putting on his shoes. As he opened the door and felt the cold wind hit his face Kirame turned his head to the side and shouted back into the house.

“Oi, Nozomi, wash up before you mess around under the kotatsu!”

The girl, Nozomi, yelled something back in response, but Kirame shut the door and walked out into the cold before he could hear what it was. Passing through the ruinous gate Kirame set off with the directions the girl had given him to the Senketsurinri Villa in the hopes that he might get lost and spend too much time finding his way to be able to visit the other person Nozomi had told him to meet.

Phase: Day 3/3
    Time: 15:54

Shivering, and with his hands buried in his pockets, Kirame walked across the bridge connecting the old town to the Senketsurinri Villa. He had, much like he had hoped, gotten rather lost in his search, but wasn’t particularly happy about the fact. He hadn’t given the cold the respect it deserved. He had managed to keep his arms and fingers warm by burying them in his pockets but his ears and the tip of his nose had no such protection from the chilly breeze.

With another shiver Kirame looked up toward the villa and a thought passed through his head.

It was…

A cold wind swept across the bridge, blowing Kirame’s hair wildly with it. Lowering his face to avoid the full brunt of the wind, Kirame stared at the villa.

… Strangely familiar.

The thought that he had seen the villa before passed his mind, but as the wind subsided Kirame shook his head, pushing the thought away.

“Ridiculous.” Speaking to himself, Kirame completed the trek across the bridge.

Having reached the villa walls it became painfully apparent that Kirame had no clue what to do from there.

Looking around like a duckling separated from its mother, Kirame pondered how exactly he was meant to do this.

“How do you even introduce yourself to a mayor, anyway?” Kirame complained under his breath, looking at the various rooftops he could see past the wall. “…” A moment passed, and without coming to any answer Kirame just frowned and started walking toward the gate. “I’m not getting anything done at this rate.”

“To hell with it.” Proper introductions weren’t Kirame. Asking permission to enter private property wasn’t Kirame either. If the gate was unlocked he would just go in and search around.
    Last edited by Spinach; February 11th, 2015 at 09:03 PM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Xander Stone

The plane landing was surprisingly bumpy. Were they normally supposed to make your stomach skip like a stone across a lake? At least it stopped soon, and was nice and gentle at the end.

God, my legs are killing me. How do people like me sit still this long? And did the person in front of me really need to lean back so much? It’s all over now, at least. Folding into the flow of passengers gushing out of the plane, I shuffle out of the terminal and into the airport.

Oh, there’s the baggage claim! I stride toward the loop of bags, quickly pulling my dingy suitcases from the conveyor belt. I’d hate to lose all of my clothes, after all! Brushing past people with muttered apologies, I step out of the doors and freeze.

In front of me stands a mountain of gray stone. Oppressively huge and impressively imposing,

That dour building made of stone is where I should go? That imposing mountain of concrete and rock, grayer and colder than the Tengetsu sky?

No way. No way in Hell.

Sorry, Mr. Hendricks. I can’t follow your advice for this. I tear my eyes away to gaze around me at the flow of travelers. Well, it's more like a trickle now. Just how long have I been standing here? Even with my parka, I'm freezing; even worse than I was earlier!

Tucking gloved hands into the pockets of my parka, I shuffle toward the nearest taxi, my breath shooting out in staccato gasps of wispy fog. It takes a few tries - people keep beating me to them - but I finally get to one and put my bags in the backseat next to me, shuddering at the chill of the worn leather. I fumble for my map - why did I fold it up like this - and hold it in front of the driver.

“Can you uh, take me here please?”

~~~~~~~~~~

Xander Stone
    Time: 15:07

The taxi driver speeds away, leaving a storm of dust and snow in his wake.

“He certainly wasn’t that fast while taking me here.” A deep sigh, the kind that pulls the air out your lungs and shoves your shoulders and head down with it, escapes me. “I’ve been had, haven’t I?”

I roll my shoulders, working out the kinks from far too much time spent sitting. “Still, I suppose I can’t blame him for wanting to leave.”

Around me are buildings of dingy wood and stone, doing their utmost to blend in with the sleet and snow. I recline on a nearby wall, elbows sinking into its white coat, and relax, letting my breath flow in and out. The houses are relics of a bygone time; nothing like the towers of glass and steel I saw out of the car window. Aged angular roofs clad in snow feebly reach toward the sky, or perhaps the occasional bird that soars freely above them, mocking reminders of heights they cannot reach.

I take another breath, savoring the light and pleasant air as it slides down my throat. Despite its age and despite its failures, this place is trying its best as well.

“Hahh...time to get moving! I can’t afford to freeze here, after all!”

I walk to one of the houses - a simple, two-floor affair - and step onto the porch. With a series of clicks and a loud creak, I open the door and step inside my house here. There’s a small foyer, a kitchen, a bathroom and a living room on the first floor; and also a lot of cobwebs.

“I can’t say I expected having so many roommates.”

The top floor has two bedrooms, a bathroom, a study and a hatch in the ceiling that leads to the attic. I guess I’ll take the bedroom by the back wall then, away from the stairs. Just gotta open this door, set down my suitcases by the bed and air out the closet-

“GAAAAAH!”

A river of rats shot out of the closet and streamed down the hallway, leaving piercing squeaks and dried balls of fur and... other stuff... in their wake.

No wonder I got this place for so cheap.

“Okay. I’ll set up the fields, and then I’ll deal with the rat infesta-”

A loud growl roared through the room as a dull ache asserted itself in my stomach. The last thing I’d eaten had been the complimentary biscotti on the plane. I’ll just check the fridge, and - nope. Empty as the night sky in a city.

I checked my budget for the day. Food... was not happening.

With a sigh, I set myself to work.
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; February 12th, 2015 at 07:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Azama Tae
    Day: January 12
    th

"..."

As soon as my feet hit the ground, my body switches to automatic. It knows the clock is ticking and there are a lot of things to do. I need to keep up with my own schedule as well with that of the Holy Grail War. So, it simply moves on its own, taking me step by step to the place I should logically visit yet. Meanwhile, my mind wonders about those tasks... Everything that awaits me in the nearby future. It's like two processes are being run at once, separate, but ultimately heading towards the same destination.

The next thing I know I am standing inside the underground parking lot that the airport has.

The reason why I am here should already be obvious: I don't plan to walk my way through the city. I'll most likely be on constant movement during my stay at Tengetsu, so a vehicle will save me a lot of trouble. And while there are the cabs and the train, I'd rather use something I am more familiar with. Something that I own, and that wouldn't betray me. My BMW 1200RT fits the bill just fine, and I ordered to have it tuned to work in optimum conditions even during the merciless weather conditions that the Grand Blizzard has to offer. I had to bribe a few local officials to get it to be here, but money is something that I have in excess. So long as its something that can be bought with money, there is little that stands outside my reach. That said, lately I've been spending quite a lot of money on this particular quest of mine...

The staff offered to send the vehicle to my address but I turned down the offer. I rather pick it myself... Besides, one can never be too careful with this kind of thing. My mission involves dangerous people on top of the eight Masters who'll be after my head soon... Making mistakes here spells my doom later on. After thanking the one in charge for looking after my bike, I walk over my vehicle and insert the key, ready to get out of here. The system does a check up as I turn the key to the right, and after its done I start the engine with the push of a button. I might be a girl, but I've always had a passion for vehicles. Naturally, having learned from a very young age, I am proficient when it comes to driving them. For someone daring as I am, the conditions the island threatens its citizens with hardly intimidates me.

Once I've waited a few moments for the engine to warm up, I rev up the engine and finally accelerate, making my way out of the parking lot with both speed and ease.

I pity those who don't have one of these.

--------

Azama Tae
    Time: 14:56

To think that the first place I visit would be a brothel...

Normally I wouldn't even come close to this sort of place, but the person I am looking for is waiting inside, so I don't have much of a choice. I can at least take comfort that it's still early, so there shouldn't be much movement inside at the moment. At least, I hope so. Swallowing my doubts and part of my pride, I steel myself and make my way inside.

"Excuse me, I am looking for Otsue-Taiyu." Walking up to the receptionist, I quickly cut to the chase. "Tell her Tae is looking for her."
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Blog Entries
    Shimamura Mirai

Well, I’m off! Got my luggage and everything. Everything has been surprisingly routine so far, without any major mishaps. Well, not that there would be, I think. There isn’t really a reason to make a noticeable move so early, since everyone else is just as unequally prepared as you are.

As I’m about to leave, my phone rings.

“Hello? Papa? No, I’m fine, I just got off the plane. Yes, yes, I’m doing as Grandpa said. I mean, I’m going to. Yes, yes. I promise I won’t spend too much. Oh, Nii-san wants to talk to me? Let him on. Oh, Nii-san! Hi. Huh? Are you serious? They don’t leave corpses, you heard what Grandpa… I can’t get you a sample! It hasn’t even started yet! Besides, if you wanted me to perform spiritual stabilization, how about you give me the family crest? I can’t do it on my own. What do you mean, ‘whose fault is that’? It’s yours. Geez, let Papa back on the phone. Papa? Sorry about Nii-san. Eh, I mean, I can’t do what he says, I don’t have the right… I mean, it’s too late. Sorry. No, it’s fine. I promise everything will be just fine. Bye, Papa.”

I glance at the phone in my hands and snap it shut. My family… is something special, I’m sure. But first, I have do everything Grandpa told me I needed to do… I miss him. And that’s why I’m here, to be his second chance. I owe him a lot.

“Taxi!”

I hitch a ride on a taxi and head towards the harbor.

Time: 14:25

I make my way to the warehouse where Papa kindly decided to pay for and deliver to me the only hand-me-down I ever got from him. Because Grandpa requested it, actually, which I guess doesn’t really make it a gift but more something done out of forced obligation? Well, whatever the case it is, it’s mine now.

I glance at the RV with a surprising amount of pride in my chest and twirl the keys around my finger.

It’s not really that special, but it was really expensive back when Papa bought it. I remember growing up in this, watching Papa get all sorts of requests from Yakuza members and having to help him with his job in real time. You really learn the trade if you do it that way, haha.

I open it up and go inside. Before it was shipped off, Papa let me redecorate it, so it looks really comfortable and inviting. There are some really nice pillows on the bed, and I think the stereo in the corner is really nice. On the side there’s the microwave above the fridge, then the “kitchen,” then a small table for dining. It might be a bit cramped, but I find it really comfy.

And then there’s the operating table. I turn to the panel next to it, the way to open it embedded into my heart. Hit that spot twice with your elbow, tap there, and kick it he—

I fall over, the panel hitting me squarely in the face. Ugh, I forgot about that. I turn to check for the medical supplies—gauze, defibrillator, EKG, x-ray machine, all that. Nice to know all of it is still here. I might have to weasel a bit from the clinics and hospital, but I can always use my own blood for a donation…’

It takes me only a few minutes to check if everything’s here. All I have to do is set up the bounded field and I’m good to go.

It takes me a bit (not very long) and I go up to the driver’s seat and pin a map on the dashboard, figuring out a route. The place where I need to go is a bit far from here, but it’s fine.

Time to drive.

Time: 15:19

The van is parked right outside where I need to be. It’s probably… really out of place, but nothing I can do about that, I guess. Anyway, there’s a person I need to see here. A distant relative of mine, in fact! I should have guessed he’d be a person who lives really far away from the city, but still in a place where he can treat people.

I take a good deep look at the clinic, how it blends in with the other buildings with the archaic architecture, before I go inside and ask what’s really on my mind.

“Sensei, are you here?”

Blog Entries
    Kiyoko Miyamoto
    Time: 14:15

Ah it feels so nice to be out of the airplane! I would normally walk to the Shrine to stretch myself off, but I don't think lugging my luggage for three hours in the snow would be a good idea. Walking there would also be a hindrance to my plan of cleaning the shrine too. So let's get a taxi to drop me off in Old Town and I'll walk the remainder of the way. I wave a taxi down and get inside.

"Could drop me off at the Old Town?"

Phase Day 2/3
    Time: 15:00

Ah it feels so good to have walked a little bit after the taxi ride! Now then let's see, I need to shovel the snow, empty any potential offerings in the box, and probably restock the refrigerator with food. I can probably pick up food after cleaning everything. So let's get to cleaning! And surprisingly there isn't much to do besides that.

Maybe I will go surprise everyone at the main Shrine around dinnertime! It would probably be better than tomorrow since the weather is going to get progressively worse as the week gets closer and closer to the "Great Blizzard." So let's knock everything out and meet everyone today!

Phase Day 3/3
    Time: 18:15

Okay, everything is good! I got everyone's favorite sweets from the local store. Now, all I have to do is walk up to the Shrine! At the very worst, it'll take me about thirty minutes. So let's go!

Francis York Morgan
    Phase: ???
    Time: ???

"..."

"Z-...ach...Zach, can you hear me? It's me, York. If you can hear my voice, could you respond?"

"...!"

"Good, I thought you went to sleep."

These words echoed out through a seemingly endless void until there was a spark. First came the stove, then the lamp nearby, then the television set on the other side, and finally the large chandelier on the 'ceiling.' These lights illuminated a large room covered in red leaves. At the center of this room, Francis York Morgan reclined on a comfortable-looking couch as he held a blood-stained folder above his head. He furrowed his brow in deep thought as he stared at the bloody file.

"Zach, don't be surprised. Spookhouse is sending us back to that island."

"..."

"Yes, I know our mission is the Holy Grail War, but we can't just forget about her. Our friends at Spookhouse won't complain about a little side-job as long as I complete the objective."

"...!"

"Don't worry, Zach. Let's take it slow. You can handle the trip to Tengetsu PD, right? We gotta visit Meiji, and you need to start stretching your legs again."

"..."

The lights dimmed slowly, and the room swathed in crimson faded from sight.

Francis York(?) Morgan

The man stirred out of his light doze, blinking and sweeping his gaze around the plane slowly, his face scrunched up into a grimace, last time he was on a plane it got pretty gnarly, improvised weapons, lightning striking the plane, even an impromptu batting session.

"Yeah, it got pretty crazy, but we got the guy in the, didn't we..."

He shook his head slightly, shifting in his coat for a moment, pulling out a badge, 'FBI Special Agent', he supposed that was accurate, that was who he was supposed to be, after all, Francis York Morgan.

"Call me York." He muttered quietly.

He nodded, and noted the slight shuddering of the plane, Tengetsu Island, supposed to be a real dust-up waiting to happen, people set in their ways, don't like how the real world's forcing them to accept reality, but guess it hurts to have people shoving their flushable toilets in your face.

He shuffled around in his seat, feeling awkward and out of place, he grasped the newspaper sticking up out of his seat, 'Great Blizzard on its way', nasty winter storm shutting off the whole island for weeks, nobody in, nobody out.

Yeesh, with this whole scenario they've got going, should be pretty nasty.

He flicked through the newspaper as the plane descended, noting small details to freshen up on the island.
    =========
    The plane's landing worried him for a moment, but went smoothly after a bit of moaning from the landing gear, he departed from the plane quickly and precisely, heading straight for baggage, he hefted a few briefcases, one noticeably heavier than the other, and after a short period of time where he wrestled with his belongings, produced the necessary funds to pay his way to the business district of Tengetsu proper.

No time to dily-dally, places to go, people to see.

As he exited the train and observed the map of the city he'd brought with him, he found himself at a literal crossroads.

'York' looked around for a moment, arguing with himself, they'd agreed to go see the Police as soon as possible, but...

He eyed the heavier briefcase.

Maybe it'd be a bit better to drop his things at the room...

"Oi! Hey!" He waved down a cab.

As he entered, he smiled at the cabby, "Hi, mind taking me to the, ah," He checked his papers, "Gongujoudo? I'll be staying there for a few weeks while I'm working with the police."
    ===========
    Location - Gongujoudo
    Phase - Day 2/3
    Time - 14:45

As he stepped out of the cab, paying his fare through the window, 'York' observed the inn, whistling, "Looks pretty traditional, huh? Makes me feel like I'm in some old samurai flick," He caught his reflection, "Heh, don't look too much like Tom Cruise."

He walked towards the door, paused for a moment, then removed his shoes, could never be too careful, "Er, hello? I'm Francis York Morgan, I made a reservation?"

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mister Delacroix

After surviving the landing through what he presumed to be a miracle, it was time to take care of the first order of business.

The man had arrived without luggage.

Sure, there was the hand luggage he carried around, a small suitcase full of the most important things. Or rather the most important things he could fit in a suitcase. While he would be able to survive fine with the signed contract for the housing, a bit of cash money and a little flask full of rum, he was in possession of certain items that could not be fitted into such a small little compartment.

Which is why he had the rest of the belongings he needed delivered here, declared as cargo. The weight would have driven the price up too hard, and it wasn't like him to waste money, not in this economy anyway. There would of course be no reason to be stingy once this little adventure was over, but it was necessary to conserve money in business so that there would be more left in private.

After a bit of uncomfortable interaction with customs, and frequent reassurance that the imported goods were delivered totally legal (presenting the paperwork was, due to his limitations in Japanese business jargon quite an ordeal), he could finally lay his hands on what was rightfully his.

It was a brown leather suitcase. Maybe the word suitcase wasn't quite fitting. It was more like somebody wrapped a smaller-sized cupboard in leather and put wheels on it, then dared to sell this curiosity to the first sucker who thought some flight company would actually let this object in their cargo hatch. Small patches had already been torn away from it, and the sturdy but quite obviously too small wheels creaked at every little movement. To round off the visual image with a little "pop" it was also wrapped in yellow tape that informed careless cargo-throwers that its contents were fragile and would have to be handled with utmost care.

Not like anybody could throw this thing in the first place.

Slowly and steadily, and under nerve-tearing creaking, the man moved towards the airport exit, in one hand a leash which with he pulled the suitcase, in the other a map with a small red circle on it. And before the shock of the opened door had silenced him, one could even hear him whistle a cheerful tune.

------

Mister Delacroix
    Time: 18:32

It took a while to get here.

No airport taxi he found had the space for his luggage so he was forced into becoming a bit creative. Some of the cargo loaded off just had to be delivered somewhere near his destination, and there had to be a way to find an arrangement. But these people weren't quite as cooperative as he would have hoped. They were polite, sure, but nobody he encountered was quite ready to break regulations and schedule to take along some black man talking heavily accented Japanese with a giant suitcase of unidentifiable, potentially illegal contents around.

The cold didn't make it any better. Yes, it wasn't like he was able to enjoy the sun like he would in his youth. Beach days were certainly over. But even so, the old skin-drying, power-sapping, death-dealing bastard was preferable to the horror that was the cold. Real, true cold was something he experienced only way too late in his life to get used to it.

Luckily, he had a way of persuading hard cases.

After a bit of initial difficulty finding the exact place of the key deposit box, it was finally time to enter. From the front the house he chose was quite obviously intended as a store. The shopping window had been crudely made nontransparent by a simple application of packing tape and thin cardboard. The sign at the top still had not been switched out and proudly proclaimed the place as "KISARAGI'S FINE MEATS", as proud as a washed out sign could do so anyway. The remainder of the pretty narrow two-story building made the glass pane and its floor-fitted locks almost seem anachronistic. Its roof, like most of old town, was classically Japanese and its walls seemed almost dangerously thin.

It was a last minute deal. A pretty good one. It was not like he had particularly high standards when it came to housing anyway, just one of the things a life as mobile worker taught him.

It seemed that prior history of handling dead animals had made this place quite a hard sell to the people of Old Town, so even a black foreigner who left only the minimal amount of information necessary would be able to get the former shop for cheap rent.

He had to hurry up now. Getting comfortable could wait.

After dragging the suitcase into the entry hall, which still was mostly occupied by a counter and a small bench for older customers to sit down, he first removed all the yellow wrapping from it. Now it was in skillful hands after all, there was no need to remind him to be careful. Inside, it was further compartmentalized. He took out various smaller wooden boards, some bolts, feathers, paper, red silk with small black accents, a handsaw, crosses, a small bag of powder, two red apples, a flask of rum and last but not least, a single shotgun shell.

It was time to truly make this house his.

While the first floor was still just a shop and a medium-sized refrigeration room, the second floor had the actual housing. In the central room where all the imaginary paths from one room to the other would cross, the man began assembling something that looked like a table. It was quickly adorned by the seemingly random objects he had taken out of his suitcase before, and it was time for the finishing touches. On the red velvet he distributed the small bag of powder (a mixture of ground eggshells, talc, salt and just a pinch of sulfur) and began to draw a rather intricate cross-shaped pattern on it. Then, as the last act of home improvement he opened the flask of rum and put it on the altar, before slowly fiddling with the shotgun shell and a handsaw. Slowly, steadily he cracked and undid the contents of the small package of lead balls, propellant, metal and plastic until only the propellant powder remained in his hand. He carefully poured all of it in the rum flask, shook its contents and poured just a tiny amount over the altar.

Always glad to work with you again.

It was now time to leave the house.

As he went down on the first floor again, he checked his suit pocket for the letters. Taking the smaller suitcase out of his pseudo-cupboard he was almost out of the door before remembering to reassure himself that he had the right ones.

To: Michael de los Santos

Yes.

To: Michael de los Santos

Of course.

To: Olga Nowak

Most importantly.

Content with what he saw, he was almost tempted to whistle another tune, before remembering the weather.

------

Mister Delacroix
    Time: 19:04

He was not a fan of the theater. It was a place that was supposed to reflect and show life in all its facets, but all it managed in the end was a pale imitation. Or worse, something completely alien and, what was the word, experimental. Disgusting. If he wanted to reflect on human nature there was nothing better than a party. It might sound unsophisticated, especially by a gentleman who had lived as long as him, but it was the truth. The full spectrum of human emotion and its condition is best perceived live as it happens.

Regardless, there was somebody who he had to meet before considering any further steps in this town. A simple courtesy visit, nothing more. The problem was that he was not quite sure of the contact's address. All he really had to go on was a name, and the theater. Maybe somebody would be able to direct him.

For now he just waited outside with his smaller, but still imposing suitcase.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries

Time: 15:56

"Now... what would possibly explain this sight before me? Are you a tourist, wandering about unknowing? Or perhaps a vermin, here to sniff secrets of ours? Depending on your answer, I may have to draw my sword, stranger."

A sudden sing-song voice called out for Kirame's attention from the corner of the gate. There, dressed in clothing that made him look antiquated even by the standards of this city, was a young man with short black hair. His tender eyes held a quiet promise of sharp steel as he watched Kirame's movements from his vantage point. It seems he had been resting under the alcove of the gate, thus being in the blind spot of the approaching young man. Now that Kirame had announced his intentions of getting inside, however, this fair-featured samurai saw it best to step in.

"Or, mayhaps, you are of different breed altogether?" the young man asked, his gaze slowly travelling up and down of Kirame's body. "I admit, you do not seem a tourist, yet to do not carry the air of a rogue here to plunder our mansion... but, yes. I can feel the danger in you. I am afraid that unless you give me a reason, I cannot allow such a dangerous man to meet with the mayor."

The samurai took a step forward, putting his hand slowly to the handle of the sword he was carrying on his waist. It was somewhat absurd to see something like that on this day and age, but out here, in the vicinity of the villa, it seemed as if time had slowly started moving backwards. Everything seemed as if it was from centuries ago, both the island and the air they breathed.

The young man narrowed his eyes momentarily. It seemed that the visage of Kirisame somehow troubled him, but for a different reason than what he had spoken aloud. It looked almost like someone trying to piece together a puzzle of memories in his head.

"So... what say you? A tourist? Or a rogue?" the man asked, his peaceful voice taking a stronger edge. "Or something far different?"

Time: 15:01
    Day: January 12
    th

After some time had passed, the pitter-patter of hurried footsteps approached Tae in the lobby of the building. The sound came from one of the many corridors that seemed to zigzag in the sensually crimson building. Looking at the direction of the approaching sound revealed a rather strange sight: a woman in her late twenties with beautiful black hair and expensive looking clothes, wearing some pretty heavy make-up. Not only that, but she was grinning from ear to ear and waved to the younger girl as she approached, her bare feet thumping against the wooden floors of the brothel.

"Aah, sorry, sorry! I got a lil' caught up with a customer!" the girl said, bopping her head back and forth in some form of apologetic bow. "Did y'all wait fer long? Well, ne'ermind that, come on! Otsue is waitin' fer ya!"

Catching Tae by the arm, the older woman began dragging her deeper into the building, towards the stairs that took people to the top floor. Despite what one might have thought when they heard the word, "brothel", Sushin Koushi was actually rather large building. It sat alone in the old town, taking up most of the space on the hill it was on. Not only that, but it rose up a whole five floors, making it seem almost like a temple of some sort, thanks to its unique design. As for what the people inside it prayed for, well...

"Ah, don't let it bother yer pretty lil' head," the older woman said and patted Tae's shoulder as they walked past some rooms were... passionate... voices could be heard coming from. "Girls' are just doin' their work, nothing else. Nyaha, 'doin'. Ahah~"

Giggling at her own joke, the older woman continued leading Tae to the top floor. As they made their way towards the room where the head of this establishment was waiting, Tae's companion eventually couldn't contain her curiosity. It was at the top of the stairs in the fourth floor where she finally cornered the younger girl, and with eyes like those of a particularly excited cat, she purred a question for her.

"Soooo? Who are ye? Y'all don't look like ya were from around 'ere," the woman asked, before a light-bulb seemed to light up above her head. "Wait! Are ya Otsue's new recruit? Oooh, ya are, ain'cha? Oh, just look at 'em cheeks on ya, lil' darlin'! I'll train ya to become a star here, I will! Ya can just call me Mika-nee, everybody does! D'ya have a stage name chosen, already? What should I call ye, darlin'?"

It seemed that her own thought process had taken the older woman, "Mika-nee" as she called herself, to a happier place. She kept squishing Tae's cheeks with an cheerful expression on her face, like she had found a new sister after turning around the corner.

Time: 15:22

“Sensei, are you here?”
    As if to answer the question spoken aloud, a loud crash could be heard from inside the clinic, like glass breaking. The sound was almost magnified by the fact that other than that, it was almost eerily quiet here at the outskirts of Tengetsu City. The few houses near the clinic, namely a closed-down small store and a shed that looked like it had seen better days, were devoid of any life, and the only light one could see came from inside the western house where the resident doctor resided. The untold amounts of snow covering the landscape didn't help it, as it seemed to swallow everything in sight.

Finally, after a set of tumbling noises, a loud curse, and another glass breaking, the door to the clinic finally opened, slowly. As the wooden door swung ajar, music drifted outside. Judging from the words and the melancholic melody it was some song by Tom Waits, as the raspy, whiskey-colored voice was hard to mistake. Not only that, but the same wind from house brought out a distinct smell of tobacco and antiseptic, creating a rather stinging smell to anyone who was not used to such things.

"Huh? What is it?" a hoarse voice asked.

There, in the doorway, stood now a tall and lithe man with features that clearly told he was not originally from around here. His looks weren't helped by the white hair or the scars on his skin left by some violent disease. Two tired eyes stared at Mirai with a hint of annoyance in them. It seemed that this interruption to whatever was going on inside was not welcome.

After quickly glancing at the girl standing there, the man let out a frustrated sigh and shooed her away with his hand.

"In 90% of cases, whatever you think is ailing you isn't. It's all in your head," he bluntly said, giving her no time to get a word in edgewise. "Unless you're not having your period. Then, yes, you're pregnant. And no, I'm not doing abortions. Not get lost, kid, and take responsibility for whatever midnight tryst you were in."

And without waiting for an answer he slammed the door shut right in front of Mirai's face.

Phase Day 3/3
    Time: 18:25

The climb up to the mountain where Yamaichi Shrine waited was not an easy one. Though the stone steps did help, the path up had been made to slither from one side to another, easing the climb but making the journey far longer than it should have. Still, there weren't many options other than using the path, as everywhere else the snow had piled up to drifts that could have easily swallowed up a child. Still, here, far away from the hustle and bustle of Tengetsu City, spending some time surrounded by nature was not the worst of ideas. Despite the chilling winter some birds were still singing loudly in the trees, and one could even see a hare or two bouncing about in the white wilderness. And most of all, it was peaceful. Unbelievably peaceful, with no loud noises or unnecessary cacophony.

It was almost as if there was no impending war for supremacy in the horizon at all.

As Kiyoko walked the familiar steps ever upwards, she eventually came to the half-way point of the journey. There, just like on the root of the mountain where she had started the climb, was a bright red torii. Or, well, there had used to be a bright red torii here. Now the paint had faded, making it seem almost like old, dried up blood. Still, among the snow and the whiteness, it was a welcome change of color for anyone heading to the Yamaichi Shrine above.

"..."

Perhaps it was the fact that the small girl up ahead was so quiet, or perhaps it was because she wore all-white clothes, but until Kiyoko got to the torii, it was almost as if the girl waiting there had not existed at all. However, now that she was near, she could clearly see the small shape of the girl wearing a blindfold, patiently waiting for her to get where she was. From afar, one could have mistaken her for a snowman, but from this distance, it was clear she was alive. There was a faint cloud of fog rising from her mouth, a clear sign that she was breathing.

As Kiyoko got to where the girl in white was, this blindfolded enigma gave her a deep bow, as if welcoming her. And then, with a quiet voice that almost got lost in the snow, she spoke.

"Welcome, first Master. To the Yamaichi Shrine."

Time: 14:47

"Er, hello? I'm Francis York Morgan, I made a reservation?"
    "Hmm? A customer?"

A drowsy voice could be heard coming form behind the counter, where thin tail of smoke rose towards the ceiling. The distinct smell of a pipe-tobacco was clear here in the reception. As York got closer to the source of the sound, something seemed to slowly inch its way to an upright position once more. First, the distinct head of a kiseru popped in sight from behind the counter. This was followed by a green felt hat, and finally, a curly bush of hair and pair of round glasses with brown eyes peering from behind them. Like a large raccoon of some sort, lazy and with witty smile on its lips, a middle-aged woman finally emerged and plopped herself on the counter, eyeing the foreign man before her up and down.

"Reservation, you say? Are you sure? I hope you are, because I lost my reservations book yesterday, and I can't make heads or tails who's supposed to be lodging here and who's not," she said before chuckling, sounding a bit like husky-toned bear grunting. "What did you say your name was again, boy? Morgan? How do you spell that? Mo-ru-gan? ? Huhu, you foreigners always have such funny names... gan... ahaha... Now I'm in the mood for some nikuman... *sigh*... so hungry..."

It seemed that the woman had completely forgotten that York was even there anymore, and was now simply muttering about food with dreamy eyes.

Time: 19:06

"Umm... Excuse me? Are you, perhaps, looking for someone?"

A beautiful voice, like a bell. From Delacroix's peripheral vision, a distinct splash of bright blue and golden could be seen against the whiteness of the snowy drifts that surrounded the theater. It was like a splotch of paint on an otherwise empty canvas. That truly eye-catching sight was a young blonde woman, dressed in rather elegant clothing, quietly sweeping the yard with a bamboo broom. In all honesty, it seemed almost a hopeless task, as there was no way a broom could really match up to the snow on the ground. Still, judging from how the main pathway and most of the yard of the theater were in far neater condition than the way here, she must have been stubbornly at work for quite some time.

After getting Delacroix's attention, the young woman smiled and nodded her head in a greeting. She made last few sweeps on the snow before setting the broom against the stone wall of the theater. Then she dusted off her clothes and calmly walked to where the man was waiting. There was slight curiosity in her eyes as she approached, but mostly it was simply the warmth of a friendly person wanting to be a good host for someone new.

"Or, are you perhaps here to for the play? Unfortunately the opening night is still few days away... or was there a mishap with the newspaper coverage? Did they accidentally print out the wrong dates? Oh, I'm terribly sorry if that's the case, umm..." It seemed that the young woman herself realized that she was rambling on. With a slightly embarrassed laughter that could have melted ice, she blushed faintly. "Forgive me, rambling on like that. That was most unbecoming of me."

Then, with an elegant curtsy, the woman introduced herself.

"Annabelle McKlennington, at your service," she said, turning her bright blue eyes at Delacroix. "How may I help you Mister..."

She left the question hanging in the air, unsure how to address the man before her.

Blog Entries
    Shimamura Mirai
    Time: 15:22

I blink. What did he just say? Did he just say what I think he said? Was Grandpa the only nice man in our family? Am I going to have to deal with guys cut from the same cloth as these three for the rest of my life?

I sit there for a minute, pondering, boiling at being rejected so thoroughly. But Grandpa told me to come here, and of all people, I’m not letting him down. There has to be...

No, without a doubt, to counter brute force requires more brute force. It’s so quiet that any sort of ruckus might annoy the people around. And I know that Sensei definitely doesn’t want that. In fact, he hates it. He’ll let me in or else.

“Hey! What kind of uncle leaves his niece outside in the cold! Let me in, Sensei! It’s Shimamura Mirai, you know, your cousin’s daughter? Granddaughter of Shimamura Tetsuya? I swear I’ll yell your name out loud for everyone to here if you don’t let me in.”

I bang on the door as I do so, but really, the last line cinches it. I know what Sensei wants and I’m doing what Grandpa wants. And I need to talk to Sensei. Grandpa left him some stuff, first of all, and second, he’s the only family I got here. Family is family, regardless of whether or not you are a huge jerk.

If he really doesn’t let me in, I guess I could always get in the RV and honk the horn really loudly?

Blog Entries
    Time: 15:23

There was a long moment of silence after Mirai's outburst. Even inside the clinic, it seemed that all other sounds par the record had stopped. While it lasted only a mere minute, it felt much longer than that. Finally, footsteps could be heard coming from inside the house, and once more, the door was pushed ajar. The scarred face of the unfriendly doctor peeked out, but this time, there was no annoyance in his eyes; it had been replaced with quiet disbelief as he stared at the fuming young girl at his lawn.

"... Tetsu-jii's granddaughter? You're... you're that shrimp from way back then?" Sensei asked, looking like he had hard time believing it. For a brief moment, his eyes seemed to analyze Mirai from head to toe, before he finally succumbed with a sigh. "... Looks like it. I'd remember that bopped head from anywhere."

After another moment of uncomfortable silence (much shorter, thankfully), Sensei finally pushed the door open completely, making a vague gesture for Mirai to follow him.

"Fine. Get it. Can't have you freezing to death out there, I suppose."

Having said that, he pushed his way through the small entrance hall, which seemed to be full of garbage bags and shoes, as if none of them had made their way quite outside. The hallway leading to the examination room, where Sensei was heading, wasn't any better. The air inside the clinic was stuffy to say the least, and everywhere one could smell the various chemicals used for treatments, as well as the stains of tobacco that permeated the atmosphere.

The only place that could be called even vaguely clean was the examination room itself. There the only thing that marred the professional atmosphere was the cigarette stump hedgehog on the table that had grown to quite the size. Sensei sat down to the chair next to the table, and while waiting for Mirai to put away her jacket, lit up another cigarette for himself. Smoke slowly drifted ever upwards as the pale-looking doctor waited for the girl to follow him.

"So?" Sensei asked, now that Mirai was in the room with him. "Why are you here? I don't remember owing anything to that old fart anymore. The last debt was paid the summer before the last. And I really hope it's not about those aching legs of his, as I've tried just about every ointment available to man, and the answer's still the same: nothing will work. It's his age catching up to him, nothing more."

It seemed that while he had been waiting, Sensei had been wracking his brains, trying to come up with a reasonable reason for the daughter of his cousin to have appeared on his doorstep. Suddenly he took a long draft from his cigarette, and his eyes narrowed. With slightly worried look, he swiftly stole a glance at Mirai's stomach.

"... Don't tell me you're really..."

He awkwardly left the sentence unfinished, not wanting to put the possibility into words, lest it came true.