Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That Not-So Celebrated Team-Up Special [Fate/Zero x Fables]

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries

That Not-So Celebrated Team-Up Special [Fate/Zero x Fables]

Disclaimer:

Fate/Zero, Fables, and their related concepts and ideas are the intellectual properties of Gen Urobuchi, Kinoko Nasu, Nitro+, Type-MOON, Notes Ltd., Bill Willingham, Vertigo Comics and other respective rights holders. This story is written solely for the purpose of entertainment, and not for any sort of monetary profit. If anything, consider this free advertising.

Prologue: Storybook Opening
    Family
    Freaks
    Fables
    Epilogue: Postmodern Closing

That Not-So Celebrated Team-Up Special

Prologue:
    Storybook Opening

Once Upon A Time in a land far, far away for some and practically in the backyard of others, the sleepy town of Niagara was plagued with murder most foul.

“Give it to me straight, Dyl. How bad is it in there?” As he passed through the cordoned-off doors of the Louis Tussaude Wax Museum that evening, Detective Stanley Caughlan asked as he walked with a tension in his step. While he’d seen a number throughout his career, corpses were still corpses. Doubly so if this was as bad as his personal rumor mill suggested.

“Like something from an underground grindhouse horror flick. If the theme of the thing was decided upon by Art 101 dropouts,” said Officer Carmella Dylan, his rumor mill, as the detective made his approach, “It’s bad, brace yourself.”

“This is great. Really, this is just really, really great. I was just thinking that we sure could use some ritualistic wholesale slaughter to spice things up around here,” he said wearily as he rubbed the bridge of his nose.

“Tourist town. There has always been that draw to the strange,” Dylan said with a blasé shrug.

“You know I can’t entirely get used to weird things.” He said these words as if he had to justify himself time and time again to his co-worker. It was an automatic response, one built on a basis of ingrained obligation developed over years, rather than the perception of his pride feeling judged.

“The unusual does have a way of not meeting your expectations.” She shrugged again, keeping her end of the conversation all in perspective.

“Right, my expectations. We all have our coping mechanisms,” Caughlan said, in acknowledgment of her own methods. It was at that moment he became acutely aware of Charlie Chaplin and Elvira’s lifeless eyes boring down into him from all sides. “Are we gonna continue standing around at the mouth of the uncanny valley, or do you wanna lead me further in to the main attraction?”

“It’s right this way,” Dylan said plainly with a gesture to a direction further into the building, past a line of yellow tape.

The detective’s tension came back in full force. If the scene of the crime was closed off all the way to here even this far from the entrance, then that had to mean something. The murder happening on the site of a high-profile location was the least of the factors that came to mind. It was meant to keep out the riff-raff so that the crime scene would not be compromised accidentally by civilians – common sense dictated that the whole place should be locked down so as to preserve as much of the evidence as possible. That much was obvious. No, what “got” the detective was something else entirely, though he’d have one hard time trying to pinpoint exactly what it was.

Call it superstition; call it paranoia; experience or intuition – whatever it may have been it gave him the feeling that that tape had sealed off what happened here from the public eye for more than matters of police regulation and public display decency.

It made him feel that that word repeated on the tape, “Caution,” was a warning directed right to him. Repeated. Ad nauseam. ‘To the point of nausea.’

Nauseous.

He had no time to feel sick over this, now or in the future. So he encouraged himself to keep focused on talking, focused on the task at hand.

“Funny that you bring up valleys,” Dylan said, more than willing to do her part to help the both of them out in this, “Something about this all reminds me of a book.”

“…that has something to do with valleys? ‘Valley of death,’ ‘fear no evil?’ Biblical elements?” Caughlan asked.

The officer’s head shook. “Not the right literary reference.” A door was pushed open, and the bizarre brutality of what had transpired here in the museum came to full light.

“Think Carrollian,” she said.

A heavy smell hung in the air of the room. Not of rot, although a thoughtful whiff of the odor would not convince anyone who smelt it that the room’s former occupants were anything close to alive. No, it was something like an herbal dampness, more like what would be expected from a musty spice cabinet. In the very center of the room, just shy of a half dozen of bodies encircled a laden dining table. A roughly even mix of sexes, some remained seated upright in their chairs, while others had slouched over onto their plates of cookies and sandwiches set for this tea party before the rigor mortis set in. Blood had spilled forth erratically from multiple wounds and pooled into misshapen puddles on the floor beneath chair legs and on the tablecloth. Contorted expressions of inscrutable emotion wracked each one of the bodies’ faces.

Each and every corpse was dressed as a literary character, a figure from the novels of Lewis Carroll’s magna opera. Each sported a wickedly sized, crudely sutured incision somewhere on their body. The quantity of gore from each of these wounds would suggest that it was the primary cause for death by bleed-out, though that would have to be properly confirmed via autopsy. The only ones who would know for certain until then would be the stripped bare wax statues of this wing, the silent witnesses whose clothes had seemingly been plundered to be used as part of the killing’s procedure.

None but the statues and the killers themselves.

“I’m sorry, Dylan, but what the fuck are you on about to even associate valleys with ‘Alice?’ ” Caughlan asked, meanwhile momentarily distracted from the macabre display by his associate’s logical contortions.

To that, she merely shrugged, “Valley somewhere in Wonderland. Lord knows the place has to be big enough.”

The man opened his mouth to say something. He held his tongue for that and opted to ask something more productive.

“Cult angle?” he asked.

“Cult angle,” she nodded in agreement.

“ ‘Keep Niagara weird,’ huh?” As he took in the sight before him, Caughlan chuckled under his breath scornfully.

You can think that as much as you want,” Dylan replied, “But, the next one who says that to me gets thrown in the river within spitting distance of the falls.”

Because it was Carmella ‘Tinkerbell’ Dylan who said that, Caughlan made damn sure to spread the word around when they got back to the precinct.

- ] | [ -

“Multi-Man Massacre at the Wax Museum!”

“Gruesome Real-life Gore Show at Tussaude’s!”

“Keeping Niagara Weird?”

For such a sensationally-charged mass murder, it did not stay in the mind of the public for long. Those who had bought the papers would be convinced that the stories were Enquirer levels of trashy. They were convinced that the editors and writers were victims of mass hysteria, a vicious rumor that had blown into town on the wind and went over the edge of the falls, to meet an untimely fate like so many unfortunate daredevils who had come to Niagara over the years. If one had asked around about Niagara’s so-called “crime of the century,” they would be given confused looks, and maybe a reply that asked if they were talking about something that happened in a story. The truth had been buried for the sake of secrecy of many parties, and the lives lost reduced to fiction.

In order for there to be a cover-up, there first had to be a cleanup, and this was the job of the Enforcers, human and legend alike.

For Bigby Wolf, this was a rare opportunity to stretch out his legs and hunt.

For Natalia Kaminski and Kiritsugu Emiya’s relationship, this was a turning point.

So here it is. The start of a short tribute that combines my favorite fandom with one of my favorite comics of all time (or at least during the Adversary run, but let's not go off on that tangent here in these ANs) that hopefully meshes into a cohesive and thematically apropos whole. Sorry for it being so short and OC heavy, I promise that they'll either be very relevant or non-distracting from the story at large.

Because I was sitting on this intro in some shape or form for about a year with little progress, for reasons that include waiting to see how The Wolf Among Us panned out, how the comic proper will finish its run, and miscellaneous real life issues that kept this from being a thing sooner, after deciding there was nothing more I could do to it that wouldn't needlessly delay it further, I felt it best to get this off my chest so that I could get to the actual as-advertised Fables and Type-MOON crossing over.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; March 8th, 2015 at 04:25 AM.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ooooh - Bigby and Kiritsugu? This is going to be so much fun . . .!

And I rather like the current Fables storyline, though I admit that between the Adversary arc and now, it was somewhat . . . Unfocussed. Kind of like how "Fairest" started out great, and hasn't quite hit the same high since.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Ooooh - Bigby and Kiritsugu? This is going to be so much fun . . .!

And I rather like the current Fables storyline, though I admit that between the Adversary arc and now, it was somewhat . . . Unfocussed. Kind of like how "Fairest" started out great, and hasn't quite hit the same high since.
    I'd have to wait until Volume 22 - and the release of the 150th, final issue - to make final judgments, since Fables is such a sequential story where the events of one story lead in to another and things have been building to a head since at least Toyland.

I'll maintain, between now and forever, that the Cinderella spinoffs were the best. I agree, in part, with that bit on Fairest. Wide Awake and Hidden Kingdom were superb, the latter of which actually serving as encouragement to go through with the cross because Japan. While other storylines may not have had the same bite, and I feel this applies to the Fables franchise as a whole, even the weaker parts still have merit.

Yes, even 'Jack of Fables,' which I have strong feelings for, and most of them negative. The Jack Frost pulp sci-fi novel arc was creative, although it felt like a completely different comic. And hey, to its credit, it had the best possible ending that JoF could have had.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; March 8th, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.

Citizen of the World TheInfamousMan's Avatar
    I do like Fables to an extent, although I'm way behind. I loved the first volume with the Rose Red murder mystery and how it was solved. I especially love Buckingham's artwork, and pretty much see this series as something to read on as I eagerly await his return to Miracleman with Neil Gaiman.

Although... the Fables existing does make sense since humans believed in them enough for them to take a life of their own. Which was my theory for why the Endless could easily exist in the Nasuverse (Every being has a conception and could act out destruction, desire, dreams, delirium, despair, and each will eventually die and a sense has a destiny). Though I guess the Magi did not know the Fables were still alive or kicking since they mostly stay in Fabletown/NY?
    Current Works:

Just an Unorthodox Thief (Fate/Zero-Lupin III Crossover) [Updated 7/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

A Different Kind of Truth (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run/Persona 4 Crossover) [Updated 3/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    TIM, I'm glad you bring that up, because the relationship that the Fables have with the other factors of Nasuverse will be addressed ASAP in the next update. Just how widespread - and personal - these connections go is the core driving conflict to this story.

- - - Updated - - -

It should also reasonably explain why Type-MOON's Artoria and King Arthur the Fable aren't contradictory existences.

Blog Entries
    I really need to read Fables. I know a bit about it from the Telltale game and the pieces of that I've seen.
    This looks interesting. It'll be nice to see how IRUn-written Natalia turns out. :3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    TIM, I'm glad you bring that up, because the relationship that the Fables have with the other factors of Nasuverse will be addressed ASAP in the next update. Just how widespread - and personal - these connections go is the core driving conflict to this story.

- - - Updated - - -

It should also reasonably explain why Type-MOON's Artoria and King Arthur the Fable aren't contradictory existences.
    Ooooh . . .

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Will Babe the Blue Ox be making an appearance?
    Current Works:

Just an Unorthodox Thief (Fate/Zero-Lupin III Crossover) [Updated 7/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

A Different Kind of Truth (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run/Persona 4 Crossover) [Updated 3/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    As his latest delusional persona, the Fourth of the Church's Burial Agency, wooer of supernaturally inclined, very buxom females, whose favorite food is anything with a pH scale-tipping amount of lemon, and the protagonist of Tsukihime II!

Blog Entries
    As his latest delusional persona, the Fourth of the Church's Burial Agency, wooer of supernaturally inclined, very buxom females, whose favorite food is anything with a pH scale-tipping amount of lemon, and the protagonist of Tsukihime II!
    . . . Thank you - I needed to hear that before I remembered that particular quirk.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

...Oh god I do hope you bring him in every now and then for little omakes where he somehow hangs out with various Type-Moon characters with no explanation whatsoever as to how he got there.

Just like Fables!
    Current Works:

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Huh. So standard hero team up #3, both looking for the same person and mistaking each other for the villain. I just hope that the resolution isn't going to be the one I'm already guessing, I don't want to be THAT genre savvy.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Then you'll be pleased to know that it's a bit more complicated than that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Huh. So standard hero team up #3, both looking for the same person and mistaking each other for the villain. I just hope that the resolution isn't going to be the one I'm already guessing, I don't want to be THAT genre savvy.
    For what it's worth, Bigby and Kiritsugu are, in some ways, the other's kind of guy. And the fight would/will be something to see, should it occur, because Bigby is quasi-Arcueid-level when it comes to levels of "unkillable."

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    And Kiri has bullets which may be able to sever creatures from their stories.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Mm - fair point.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

夜属 Nightkin
    Isn't this Kiri pre-Mage Killer though? On account of being with Natalia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlology View Post
    IDEA:
    Alternate-UBW end, Kotomine wins, Shirou dies with Gilgamesh.
    Rin and Saber have hot lesbian sex as the world burns down around them.
    "I've never been with a woman, Rin."
    "Neither have I."
    "I've never been with a man either."
    "Well, just think. What would Emiya do?"
    "What do you-"
    "Exactly!"

------
    This is the way the world ends
    ------
    "So, what do you say? Don't want to die a virgin, right?"
    "But Rin, you are not-"
    "Just shut up and fuck me!"

------
    Not with a whimper but an "OHGODOOOOOHHRIGHTTHER-"
    ------

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    If you people keep commenting I'll feel guilty for not spending all my waking moments working on this.

Quote Originally Posted by pulsor93 View Post
    Isn't this Kiri pre-Mage Killer though? On account of being with Natalia?
    Well, someone had to make the Origin bullets for him.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pshaw. Kiritsugu is edgy enough to take out his own ribs, dust them, actualize his origin on them and shove them into bullets, kid.

Or hypnotize a muggle after he learned how from somewhere, I guess? Maybe somebody paid him in one of his jobs with a book called Your Origin and You: Or how your origin is carved into your bones by Elmer Dinkle.

Blog Entries
    If you people keep commenting I'll feel guilty for not spending all my waking moments working on this.
    Maybe we just want to make sure that this is appropriately visible, so it can be properly appreciated.

Well, someone had to make the Origin bullets for him.
    . . . I sense the spidery hand of Frau Totenkinder.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette