Thread: Warnings related to Lantz's Threads

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Is Not Into Bondage View Post
    Make it football please
    It is football.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormungandr View Post
    I think that it refers to the behavior in which one attacks the other person in a discussion rather than discussing or following the argument itself.

EDIT: And sniped by Seika.
    I figured that was it, it just threw me for a loop because that expression doesn't exist here.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Make it football please
    It's no good to be caught with pass interference. Be Richard Sherman or Darrelle Revis instead and intercept the ball.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Speaking of, I'm going to underline to everyone the point in mAc's post about the severity of future punishments. These lot all came very very close to getting strikes (which I note would put Christemo on his last chance). In future, similar incidents will immediately elevate to strikes, absent any mitigating circumstances. Playing the person instead of the ball has become too prevalent, and posters need to unlearn that habit. Quickly.
    Could you clarify the reach of this statement?

If it's universal, then please rewrite the rules. If you mean Lantz's threads, please specify it.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Could you clarify the reach of this statement?

If it's universal, then please rewrite the rules. If you mean Lantz's threads, please specify it.
    Okay, basically with the escalation of the event we were considering giving both the instigators and Lantz a ban, therefore a Strike to the Three Strikes and You're Perma Banned. However we came up with a compromise and just decided to give out a Public Warning, which if they act out again before the cool down period is over they would get a ban and therefore a strike.

All of this boils down to something very simple: Don't Be a Dick, which means don't bully, don't flame, and for the love of everything, don't troll.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Okay, basically with the escalation of the event we were considering giving both the instigators and Lantz a ban, therefore a Strike to the Three Strikes and You're Perma Banned. However we came up with a compromise and just decided to give out a Public Warning, which if they act out again before the cool down period is over they would get a ban and therefore a strike.

All of this boils down to something very simple: Don't Be a Dick.
    That didn't actually answer the question. The question was: Will all "personal attacks", whether the truth or perceived as such, go straight to strikes from now on, or is it exclusive to lantz?
    Last edited by Christemo; April 4th, 2015 at 05:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the clarification.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    That didn't actually answer the question. The question was: Will all "personal attacks", whether the truth or perceived as such, go straight to strikes from now.
    This:

However we came up with a compromise and just decided to give out a Public Warning, which if they act out again before the cool down period is over they would get a ban and therefore a strike.
    Makes it pretty clear it was regarding people warned in the OP.
    O piteous Wanderer.

All of this just makes me sorta curious what Lantz writes about nanodesupoi.

Blog Entries
    It's basically a warning that the staff are particularly ready to exercise the right to kick up punishment levels when it comes to flaming.

So not every instance, but where we perceive it to be comparatively as serious or as sustained as we saw in this case, don't complain if you get struck.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Make it soccer please
    ftfy
    Quote Originally Posted by Korburss View Post
    Frank you Franco and the Franking pun of bull you rode in on.

One true OTP...

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    All of this just makes me sorta curious what Lantz writes about nanodesupoi.
    Don't give in. Retain your purity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    It's basically a warning that the staff are particularly ready to exercise the right to kick up punishment levels when it comes to flaming.

So not every instance, but where we perceive it to be comparatively as serious or as sustained as we saw in this case, don't complain if you get struck.
    If it's such a big deal why not just say that personal attacks result in a strike instead of leaving it to arbitrary judgment that will vary from mod to mod?

- - - Updated - - -

I mean let's say poster X posts a personal attack. Mod Y sees it, judges it to be not too bad, gives a warning.

Poster Z by complete coincidence posts the same thing toward a different poster in another thread, Mod A judges it to be bad and gives a strike.

Poster Z would be totally right if, noticing the treament of Poster X after coming back from his strike, he said it was unfair.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    I think it is generally a good thing this happened, even if there are specifics you could argue about.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    It can be somewhat difficult to read some as personal attacks or not because some of us get along well enough to be friendly-insulting to each other. I mean, say I tell Bloble "fuck you, goddamn canadian!" I'm pretty sure he knows I'm joking with him, but if someone were to randomly throw out profanities and insults towards one's motherland it might actually be a flame. I sorta imagine they can't ban all comments like that or else I'd have to be nice to the people I like and it's n-not like I want to or anything.

Blog Entries
    Mac and Seika are pretty in tune with how the forum and its personal relationships run so I'm comfortable with trusting them on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    If it's such a big deal why not just say that personal attacks result in a strike instead of leaving it to arbitrary judgment that will vary from mod to mod?

- - - Updated - - -

I mean let's say poster X posts a personal attack. Mod Y sees it, judges it to be not too bad, gives a warning.

Poster Z by complete coincidence posts the same thing toward a different poster in another thread, Mod A judges it to be bad and gives a strike.

Poster Z would be totally right if, noticing the treament of Poster X after coming back from his strike, he said it was unfair.
    It's good to seek clarification; I want to just point out though that for judging what makes a "personal attack," you still require someone to interpret what exactly makes it an attack and the context.

For instance, imagine if someone wrote a review of a fic and it was profanity laden and very passionate. Or maybe another one that calls somebody's work "fucking garbage." It is not insulting the person themselves, but their work. But the person would probably get offended.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    It's good to seek clarification; I want to just point out though that for judging what makes a "personal attack," you still require someone to interpret what exactly makes it an attack and the context.

For instance, imagine if someone wrote a review of a fic and it was profanity laden and very passionate. Or maybe another one that calls somebody's work "fucking garbage." It is not insulting the person themselves, but their work. But the person would probably get offended.
    Sure, but the punishment at least has to be consistent otherwise it just causes confusion.

It's much easier to separate things between "Insults worth punishment" and "Not that" than between "Insults worth a strike", "Insults worth a warning", "Neither".

The clearer the line the more people can stop themselves from crossing it.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If it's flame towards a specific person, the solution is pretty simple. If the specific person is offended, he reports it, and moderation is therefor applied. If he's not, then he doesn't care or isn't offended, and then it is unnecessary to punish the flamer unless he's a serious repeat offender that holds that attitude towards everyone.
    Last edited by Christemo; April 4th, 2015 at 06:17 PM.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    finally
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    We do also hope that we won't have to follow through too often on striking for flames. Lantz has often been an exception in this forum, and between that and our notification that the staff are getting really fed up of personal attacks, we would like to imagine that situations of similar nastiness won't appear often and force us to go that far.

We are trying to be fair by putting everyone on notice that we're going to be examining flames particularly closely, and by reminding the forum that we don't just have a list of misdeeds and the punishments that fit them, to be robotically adhered to: the staff has always reserved the right to use their considered judgement to adjust to a given situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    If the specific person is offended, he reports it, and moderation is therefor applied.
    This still requires an exercise of our own judgement. If we punished everyone who got reported every time they got reported, most of the forum would be banned.

(That said, we still prefer reports over nothing: the users have to help us keep an eye on a forum as busy and varied as this).
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15