Page 1 of 18 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: On reducing vitriol

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries

On reducing vitriol

All right, so here's the announcement. This isn't so much an ironclad rule, as it is a public call for awareness. There have been concerns about the direction of the forum as of late, ie., shitposting, and an increase in vitriol. It can breed an environment that drives users away and encourages pandering to the lowest common denominator.

This is where a general discouragement of words like "autism" and "faggot" insults, or "jewtube" and stuff like that comes into play. The important part is the context: insulting other users. So from now on, we'll slowly be nudging people away from that, especially if it gets to the point where it completely overruns the thread.

This is not that different than just curbing shitposting, it's just another part of encouraging a productive environment. Mods already warned for saying things like this in the past. I remember one such incident with Buster myself a while back. It's just being put on display now.

There is no list of words to reference. That is impossible to put together given the flexibility of language. Just use common sense, and you'll get feedback from mods about it if it ever comes up. It's not going to be like, "You used X word once and you automatically get hit by a warning" like there is a machine set up to activate the moment it happens without context.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    I propose autobanning for memes.

*In addition to word filters.

**Also, instead of trusting people, add word filters.
    Last edited by Mcjon01; April 8th, 2015 at 01:00 AM.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As long as you inform before you actually escalate (yes also for people that already have warnings) I guess it's okay. I'm not too happy about this though regardless.

This language predates any memeboys (look at MZeroX posts for what i mean) and is a smaller problem than shitposting in pretty much every regard.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

All this business is really triggering my JHS.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is some next level autism.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    encouraging a productive environment
    BL doesn't produce anything other than a few RPs, some fanart, and fanfics, none of which benefit from your misguided measures. It's not meant to be a productive environment in the first place. If I wanna call one of my friends a raging faggot or tell frantic that typing out a 10,000 word backstory for his latest character is autistic as fuck, I should damn well be able to.

Blog Entries
    I suspect that mAc and Seika are doing the mod equivalent of shanking a guy in the yard on their first day in the joint to establish their street cred. That's why there's suddenly all this focus on being good to each other, and also my Tsukihime thread got closed. It's the only plausible explanation I can think of.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    BL doesn't produce anything other than a few RPs, some fanart, and fanfics, none of which benefit from your misguided measures. It's not meant to be a productive environment in the first place. If I wanna call one of my friends a raging faggot or tell frantic that typing out a 10,000 word backstory for his latest character is autistic as fuck, I should damn well be able to.
    excuse me,Tyrfing Dragonfriend's backstory isn't 10,000 words. It's like 5,000.

e: Bloble's correct though. BL isn't SB or SV. It's more like DLP, then anything - niche as fuck. We don't draw enough viewership to need rules about being nice to one another; nobody's gonna get attracted to this forum unless they're already used to High Octane Vitriol.
    Last edited by Frantic Author; April 8th, 2015 at 01:07 AM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    I know they wanted to crack down on "chan language" for a while now, I guess getting people in the team to get work done made it a reality.

and now were here in 1984

mike warned us

blue blue glass something something Pillzman's Avatar
    WE WILL NEVER BE SLAVES

Blog Entries
    For a longass time BL mirrored /fate/ which just mirrored /a/, it isn't THE FOURCHAN CULTURE that must be curbed it's just being huge shitters that has to stop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantic Author View Post
    e: Bloble's correct though. BL isn't SB or SV. It's more like DLP, then anything - niche as fuck. We don't draw enough viewership to need rules about being nice to one another; nobody's gonna get attracted to this forum unless they're already used to High Octane Vitriol.
    I actually disagree, flaming just turns threads into burning trash heaps because people think they need to respond and rules against it should be enforced.

Random words not leveled at you should not hurt you though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    For a longass time BL mirrored /fate/
    That seems implausible given that people post here.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I know they wanted to crack down on "chan language" for a while now, I guess getting people in the team to get work done made it a reality.

and now were here in 1984

mike warned us
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magneto+Was+Right.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	12098

Someone needs to change the text and photoshop out Magneto for a Sakura pic.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    That seems implausible given that people post here.
    That's why I didn't say "BL just mirrors /fate/" because /fate/ is D E A D

God Mcjon you're so autistic.

- - - Updated - - -

Rather, this is why I used past tense. Now the middleman is out and BL just mirrors
    Spoiler:
    /v/

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    So does it mean that BL memes is a banned word now...?

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

Blog Entries
    No, the word meme should not be banned, but going into an on topic thread and locking onto a singular off topic post or just a generally dumb post and responding with MEMES should be punished.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    My post was just a long way of saying "don't be a dick." In your context, the person probably did not actually mind. But a mod would take the totality of the statement into account, including the words, when evaluating it.

It's like derails. There is no mathematical definition of when a derail happens but if a mod comes in and says "hey get back on topic" then that's legitimate. It's the same thing here. And you would get told ahead of time if something should be knocked off. In principle you are probably already okay with this; if there was somebody throwing around racial slurs left and right at everyone most people would be okay with a mod telling them to knock it off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I suspect that mAc and Seika are doing the mod equivalent of shanking a guy in the yard on their first day in the joint to establish their street cred. That's why there's suddenly all this focus on being good to each other, and also my Tsukihime thread got closed. It's the only plausible explanation I can think of.
    Well, I remember for one during the whole Leogate incident that a LOT of the posts were talking about how the site needs cleaning up and has been left to rot because of inactive moderation.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I actually disagree, flaming just turns threads into burning trash heaps because people think they need to respond and rules against it should be enforced.

Random words not leveled at you should not hurt you though.
    This is more or less my opinion too.

I'd also like to add that I don't think curbing the chanspeak is really gonna help that much with the attitude itself, which is sort of the main problem. I can't really say I'm against any rule added to fight shitposting and such, just that I find it hard to find a point for this. Seems like it'd make things worse, in a way.

Furthermore, if you're going to implement this, being something very context and interpretation based, space for discussion should be allowed. IE, I don't think that the system of "you got warned and that's that" would work anymore, and room should be made for mods to fix things if they make a mistake.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I remember for one during the whole Leogate incident that a LOT of the posts were talking about how the site needs cleaning up and has been left to rot because of inactive moderation.
    Well, the argument I've seen a lot regarding this is that people want more than anything else an active moderation in the threads themselves, actively re-railing them, stopping shitposting in its tracks, etc. A lot like what Leo used to do and I've seen you and Seika do in the bit of time you've been around, I guess.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    My post was just a long way of saying "don't be a dick." In your context, the person probably did not actually mind. But a mod would take the totality of the statement into account, including the words, when evaluating it.

It's like derails. There is no mathematical definition of when a derail happens but if a mod comes in and says "hey get back on topic" then that's legitimate. It's the same thing here. And you would get told ahead of time if something should be knocked off. In principle you are probably already okay with this; if there was somebody throwing around racial slurs left and right at everyone most people would be okay with a mod telling them to knock it off.
    I can live with "don't be a dick". I can't live with the use of words and phrases being punished, no matter how obnoxious or politically incorrect they might be. Don't ban the words, ban the one using them to be a dick.

- - - Updated - - -

basically what i'm saying is woo gun control sucks ass in a world where the police have absolute power