View Poll Results: Should there be new mods; if so, how many?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

9 20.00%

16 35.56%

7 15.56%
  • 3+

13 28.89%
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mods: Yea or Nay

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Someone let me know if there has actually been a suggestion worth reading in the last 5 pages or so
    Major suggestions were the use of extremely long temp bans as opposed to permas in most situations and having assigned jurisdictions for mods as opposed to having all mods keep track of the whole site
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Subforum breakdown is dumb faster rotation isn't.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Wow that was a lot more memeing than expected.

Here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Well, I should expand that I do not think year long bans should be the norm even in this case. Only for the really really bad ones.

The problem with bans here is it brings so much drama. If a person gets banned for 4 days or a week or so instead of causing an enviorment where people with lots of strikes get baited into insulting others or something which causes 8 other users to start bitch everytime a person gets banned.

It causes a lot less stress for both the mods and the user if you just get banned right off the bat for a period and that's that. I mean one of my favorite things I've heard here is Mike getting super angry and ranting either in his blog or some thread that he can't do his job when he's spending most of the time wondering if he will be permabanned or not. "But Cruor the strike system fixed this" no it didn't I thought it was horrible when Christemo was saying he was scared to post much because he thought tobias was hounding him for the last few strikes needed.

This would have worked wonders during the sock puppet thing as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Off that list, aldea would be good from a mature mediator standpoint but I don't think he'd want to take up the job given his current forum presence, Cruor would be funny as hell but I can't see someone that loves argments and hates bans of all kind as an ideal mod, You is a precious forum resource that should be left uncorrupted to continue its divine work, and Siriel is a robot with only the ignore list keeping him in check from the innocent populace.

My token proposition would be Bridge, for a variety of reasons that are probably not as important as the stigma of memeboy that he holds. So lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Well ye, I already talked about this before but the fuss on BL about ye holy internet powers is ridiculous, just appoint a bunch of people, see how they do, remove them if they're bad/ineffective/inactive and just keep doing that until the spread is satisfactory.

Every goddamn mod keeps complaining about how hard it is but then go to great lengths to not actually share their holy powers with others to make it easier, instead creating these really long fussy procedures about the forum.

Fucking lighten up, just test a bunch of people. This entire thing is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    I do not hate bans. I hate permabans. I'd rather do away with warnings and just ban them for a x days. Permas are dumb. They can be banned everytime time they are unbanned after some small offense if they aren't learning. But banning someone for something 4 years ago is dumb.

And heck Mr. Plsbanme who gets banned everytime his term finishes would be treated as a running joke like food after awhile.

- - - Updated - - -

The only quirp I have with normal bans is I can't argue with them while people are banned :P
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    I'm honored to be nominated, but I think I'm going to be less active in the coming months so I won't have the time to do the position the justice it needs.
    13uster would be good, he's been around a long time. Actually for the first year I was here I kept thinking he was a mod.
    Raff, Kirby, or Me would be good as well.
    I like Curor's idea of mods have responsibility of certain boards. While they don't have to stay there and other mods can mod in that board, it should be like if there's a problem that needs addressing you can go to that person instead of shouting "mods!"
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    The only structural change I want is faster rotation.

Don't always just wait for massive drama to happen until you change people, when they get less active actually boot them and get new ones, this way shit like the total disconnect between moderation and userbase that happened a while ago can't happen.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Subforum breakdown is dumb faster rotation isn't.
    I don't get why people are against that. Makes no sense.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

basically because faster rotation is his idea and subforum breakdown isnt

Blog Entries
    Hmm honestly the temp ban vs perma ban issue might be better fitted to its own thread and poll, this seems like the wrong place to talk about it.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    I'm just gonna put my two cents in that I voted two, and I think those two ought to be Siriel and You. Megas (I refuse to get into this joke now) and Raff would be alright as well. I'd also even go for I3 to watch him mature into the beautiful butterfly he ought to rather than the rebellious pillar he tries to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    I'm just gonna put my two cents in that I voted two, and I think those two ought to be Siriel and You. Megas (I refuse to get into this joke now) and Raff would be alright as well. I'd also even go for I3 to watch him mature into the beautiful butterfly he ought to rather than the rebellious pillar he tries to be.
    If I were to wind up in the position, I would more than likely change my name back so as to prevent confusion
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

Blog Entries
    Long bans instead of permas: not a chance.

subforum mods: actually a not bad sounding idea, we actually considered it ourselves, but we ultimately decided against it because certain forums are so much more active then others, and also because if you do it that way, and there is only one mod online (which happens a lot) do you really want to have to be in a situation where you PM at he only guy around, and he has to tell you his hands are tied because it's not his forum?

was there anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Peanut-007's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    *Angry Saber Noises*
    US Friend Code
    It would be confusing as hell but think of the PUNS.

"We have entered an infinite recursion of Saber."

Blog Entries
    I nominate Paitouch because some small part of me thinks it would be a little amusing to see him spontaneously combust when his physiology comes into contact with responsibility.

Blog Entries
    If I were to wind up in the position, I would more than likely change my name back so as to prevent confusion

Nah, just change usernames of other mods to pronouns.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    subforum mods: actually a not bad sounding idea, we actually considered it ourselves, but we ultimately decided against it because certain forums are so much more active then others, and also because if you do it that way, and there is only one mod online (which happens a lot) do you really want to have to be in a situation where you PM at he only guy around, and he has to tell you his hands are tied because it's not his forum?
    [/QUOTE]
    Get multiple mods for the active ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    Long bans instead of permas: not a chance.
    I'd appreciate a response better explained than just a no.

Blog Entries
    I just don't think we're big enough to need subforum mods.

And the faster rotation thing doesn't really have anything to do with that suggestion in the first place since if you make subforum mods changing them faster or entrenching them is a seperate issue. This is to prevent huge amounts of friction and that us vs them mentality from flaring up. I know the inactive mods do mysterious back-end stuff or whatever but unless this is webdesign based you will probably be able to just let a new active mod take that over as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Get multiple mods for the active ones.[/QUOTE]

if you define active as people on more then once a day, that's like, 4-5 of us all together. Including all admins and mods. We have more active forums then that, and and again, since we aren't all on at the same time. That raises the specter of having shit going on that the only person on has to wash his hands of because it's not his bailiwick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

The problem that I have with having short mod stints is that I don't see the position having any real responsibility to it then.
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    if you define active as people on more then once a day, that's like, 4-5 of us all together. Including all admins and mods. We have more active forums then that, and and again, since we aren't all on at the same time. That raises the specter of having shit going on that the only person on has to wash his hands of because it's not his bailiwick.
    He means, get a handful of subforum-only mods for General, then another handful of subforum-only mods for RP, then another handful of subforum-only mods for Anime/Manga/Merch, ect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    The problem that I have with having short mod stints is that I don't see the position having any real responsibility to it then.
    I wouldn't put a hard time limit on it but in general a higher willingness to replace personnel would probably be good, as in doing it before some bullshit happens because nobody on the staff knows who is who anymore and half of it have either fucked off to the mod-only forum or left the site entirely without anybody seeing a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

i mean thats basically also flunking responsibility its just that nobody really seems to care

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    He means, get a handful of subforum-only mods for General, then another handful of subforum-only mods for RP, then another handful of subforum-only mods for Anime/Manga/Merch, ect.
    You can have some overall mods and a lot of subforum mods who only have mod privileges in their specific area
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff