Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2227303132333437 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancient Literature Discussion (History, Myth, Philosophy &c.)

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Castellan's Avatar
    Mm'kay, interesting. Although I will clarify that Fionn's F/GO profile references him fighting Aillen and Nuada as two separate instances over the course of his life so it doesn't appear that they are confusing the two at the least.
    I have not found a source referencing Fionn ever battling Nuadu, but I'm also open to being wrong - I am not as strong in the Finn Cycle as I am in the Ulster and Mythological Cycle.

(One day I will finish this stupid document for a Lostbelt based on medieval Ireland.)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There is a certain irony that while Socrates was known for his Socratic method to question authority (and thus "poison" young minds to do so), his most famous student, Plato, wrote that in his ideal Republic, society will be held together by "noble lies". Lies, no matter how "noble", will generally break under scrutiny. The very scrutiny present in Socratic method.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    There is a certain irony that while Socrates was known for his Socratic method to question authority (and thus "poison" young minds to do so), his most famous student, Plato, wrote that in his ideal Republic, society will be held together by "noble lies". Lies, no matter how "noble", will generally break under scrutiny. The very scrutiny present in Socratic method.
    I do recall someone saying that Plato's ideal society is the same kind that would persecute questioning free-thinkers like Socrates.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's not really ironic at all, just an evolution of thought. Bear in mind that we know of Socratic dialogue as a philosophical method from Plato, who was not only his most famous student but also the one who left actual records - Socrates did not. Plato developed the idea of Socratic dialogues early on, while Republic came later. It becomes more clear when the "Socratic" dialogues we get the idea of the Socratic method from are instead called "Platonic" dialogues, since it's really a genre that he invented. It's a bit like trying to understand Kant if you have none of his own works but only those of Hegel.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Your signature reminded me of another question... You know that thing where Marc Antony starts off his famous speech calling Brutus and his lot "honorable men". Essentially, it's like the opposite of poisoning the well, as you start off praising, albeit possibly insincerely, your opponent, rather than denigrating him (or even the Chinese equivalent fastening a "good" hat onto him, rather than a "bad" one), but is there an actual term for that?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the closest best phrase would be "damning with faint praise."
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

マリーの味方
    Reading the Diary and correspondence of Count Axel Fersen, grand-marshal of Sweden, relating to the court of France for writing inspiration again and came across this quote from M. de Sainte-Beuve:

There is a way of considering Marie-Antoinette which seems to me the true way, and I would fain define it, because it is in this direction, as I believe, the definitive judgement of history will go. Some persons may, from a lofty feeling of compassion, fall in love with the ideal interest attaching to her, endeavour to defend her at all points, make themselves her advocates, her knights towards and against all comers and resent the mere idea of stains and foibles that others think they have discovered in her life. The rule of such defenders is to be respected when it is sincere: and we can well understand it in those who worship the traditions of the old royalty.
    See bros, I'm normal.

Blog Entries
    SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMP
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

マリーの味方
    Yes.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone confirm or deny this? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...s-1306263.html About Biblical manna, I mean.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In the original Greek, is Plato pronounced Play-toh or Plah-toh?

Blog Entries
    ΠλάτωνPlátōn
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I once thought that the "no other gods before me" trope was a uniquely Abrahamic thing. Then I realized that the Buddhist demon Girimekhala is probably a diabolized version of either the Hindu Ganesha or Airavata.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Actual Journey to the West Wukong reminds me of the Jedi enemies that you face when you play as a Sith in SWTOR. There's this one scene in the kingdom that persecutes Buddhists, and Wukong's looking through the concentration camp inmates to see if Sanzang is there. Because Sanzang is not there, Wukong's about to leave, and the other monks/inmates call out what they should do about being abandoned. Wukong straight up tells them to die to go see Buddha faster and only agrees to rescue when they tell him that some god, through a dream, has forbidden them to die.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    http://rudrasenafoundation.blogspot....-shocking.html Can someone please confirm the Yahweh/Humbaba dichotomy?

マリーの味方
    Le Morte d'Arthur time
    "Sir," said Merlin. "see that you guard carefully the scabbard of Excalibur, for you will lose no blood as long as you have the scabbard on your person, no matter how many wounds you may have."
    So after this, Arthur trustingly brought the scabbard to Morgan le Fay, his sister.
    arthur u dumbass

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There's a certain irony where the most texts talking about a particular religion aren't even actual scriptures of said religion. For example, Dante's Inferno and Paradise Lost from the Abrahamic religion trio, and Journey to the West for Buddhism and Taoism.

Blog Entries
    well, no, there isn't.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Dante's Inferno and Paradise Lost
    uhm what
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    *Cough*

A useful article.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)