Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 273235363738 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Literature Discussion (History, Myth, Philosophy &c.)

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    The notion that pre-Modern cultures did not have such ideological debates is its own form of anachronism.
    The notion that a pre-Modern audience was incapable of interpreting what's literally in the text is its own form of anachronism.
    :^)
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    "The anachronism of language and perspective refers to the usage of current concepts and perspectives to explain and elucidate the historical events and facts."
    Some scholars also use the term "presentism", if it helps.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    The notion that a pre-Modern audience was incapable of interpreting what's literally in the text is its own form of anachronism.
    The notion that a pre-Modern audience would intepret a text the same way as one two and a half thousand years later is its own form of anachronism.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure "piety to the gods over the commands of human kings" is not high on the list of takeaways from Antigone nowadays, for example.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    The notion that a pre-Modern audience would intepret a text the same way as one two and a half thousand years later is its own form of anachronism.
    The notion that a pre-Modern audience couldn't intepret a text the same way as one two and a half thousand years later is its own form of anachronism.

Past humans were not aliens. Indeed, we have a great deal of cultural context on the Greeks in particular and a record of interpretations of these very works almost as old as the works themselves. What you're saying is tantamount to believing that it is impossible to extract any culturally-relevant meaning from a text separated from the present reader by an arbitrary gulf of time. Anthropologists and sociologists must immediately resign their posts in disgrace, to say nothing of classicists who have pulled the wool over our eyes for so long.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    all this talk about sophocles is irrelevant to the genuine question at stake here, which is, as I understand it from the thread, what would a pre-modern audience make of beast's lair user LegalLoliLover [answer in 2000 words or less]
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Blog Entries
    They, too, probably would have gone off on a tangent about the merits of the Boy Scouts.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Okay, every time I see Antigone I misread it as Antigonish, and wonder what a 150 yr old ghost story has to do with things.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Probably demonic possession
    Check out the officialTM Create-a-Servant discord server

Blindfold your eyes, so that the approaching night may strike no fear in you.
    Let it not burden your soul, nor numb your strides.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    all this talk about sophocles is irrelevant to the genuine question at stake here, which is, as I understand it from the thread, what would a pre-modern audience make of beast's lair user LegalLoliLover [answer in 2000 words or less]
    I was about to say something but nowadays "modern audience" has a very specific connotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    The notion that a pre-Modern audience couldn't intepret a text the same way as one two and a half thousand years later is its own form of anachronism.

Past humans were not aliens. Indeed, we have a great deal of cultural context on the Greeks in particular and a record of interpretations of these very works almost as old as the works themselves. What you're saying is tantamount to believing that it is impossible to extract any culturally-relevant meaning from a text separated from the present reader by an arbitrary gulf of time. Anthropologists and sociologists must immediately resign their posts in disgrace, to say nothing of classicists who have pulled the wool over our eyes for so long.
    Uh... no, that's not what I'm saying at all. We, having the benefit of hindsight, can see things as people 2.5k years ago saw them and acknowledge that as a society we have in part or as a whole evolved past, or at least expanded, that way of thought. They, in turn, interpret their past (through works that reflect it, like Antigone) through the lens of their present manner of thinking. But just like we can only scarcely imagine what humanity in A.D. 5000 will be like (assuming we still exist), so too the ancients would be fundamentally unable to envision the world as we see it today. Not because human nature has changed all that much, but simply because the framework, the context through which we interpret anything and everything is different.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    So you agree that

what lessons we take from them today may be far from what the authors intended them to be
    is incorrect, because as I said, we can glean the cultural and authorial context to understand the meaning of a text written outside of living memory, and thereby differentiate past thinking from present thinking such as to understand the complex ways that people in the past interpreted their own societies - which included ideological debate over how said societies should function.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    The notion that pre-Modern cultures did not have such ideological debates is its own form of anachronism.
    Fair enough, although it is then most unfortunate that most of said debates were subsequently lost to us. Assuming that they were ever preserved to start with.

Still, my point remains that nobody can escape being products of their time- even people like me who always try and push limits can't just step out of our historical context.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I think their most likely response would be "what's a loli"?
    Last edited by InsertNameHere; March 7th, 2023 at 09:38 PM.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Maybe, but then we'd have to go into the life experiences that developed this sense, as well as what one would learn from history and fiction with more realistic moral (or lack thereof) systems. It's like how knights nominally follow a code of chivalry, but as Charlemagne, as portrayed in Fate/extella, found out, there is nothing chivalric about being a knight. Similarly, Boy Scouts also follow a similar code of conduct, but like knights, it is shown to be equally bullshit... Obviously, less corpses involved because, unlike with knights, Boy Scouts are not a military organization. I say this remembering when I was in the Boy Scouts, and I and another found a walking stick. Not an artificial one, obviously, but a natural stick found on a trail that could be used for the purposes of hiking and the like.

Because we both found it first, and because I insisted on having it, saying that his seniority didn't matter, the older Scout said that I could have it in exchange for solving what he believed to be a math problem outside of my intellectual scope. I solved it. In response, he deliberately broke the stick in half, so that I couldn't get it either. In other words, he tried to use that math question, not as a test but as a means of lording over me. I would not be lorded over by getting the question or dropping the issue altogether. When I complained about it to who I assumed would be a fair mediator, I was forced into dinner dish cleaning duty, because the older Scout was obviously a higher rank than me, or else I wouldn't have breakfast the next morning. Breakfast sucked (that probably wasn't deliberate because everyone had the same meal, but some idiots didn't realize that damp air makes soggy pancakes).

I quit the next week. Obviously, Charlie stuck with being an un-chivalric knight and eventually earned, through blood and conquest, the title of Emperor. I thought that, based on my math skills, but I deserved that stick, but it turned that, as Thrawn would say: Who deserves what is irrelevant. What matters is who has power.
    I forgot to say this earlier: the Boy Scouts actually do have a quasi-militaristic background. It is not a coincidence that the Scouting Movement's founder was not only a Lieutenant-General of the British Empire, but also derived much of their activities from the military reconnaissance training that he had personally overseen in the Second Boer War. So apparently you missed one of the most important parts in their code: the hierarchy is always right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert...n_Baden-Powell
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouting_for_Boys
    It literally says in their seminal work "bees form a model community, for they respect their Queen and kill their unemployed". Even by the standards of early 20th century Britain, that's incredibly classist.

(Oh, and Charlemagne was in EXTELLA Link, not EXTELLA. You should also clarify whether you mean the Saber or the Ruler, because I can't tell from your rambling.)

And finally, the origins of that sense are unimportant to me. All that matters is that it is mine, and I have no intention of giving it up.
    Last edited by InsertNameHere; March 8th, 2023 at 12:38 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't specify by class. I say either Charlie or Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    So you agree that

is incorrect, because as I said, we can glean the cultural and authorial context to understand the meaning of a text written outside of living memory, and thereby differentiate past thinking from present thinking such as to understand the complex ways that people in the past interpreted their own societies - which included ideological debate over how said societies should function.
    You misinterpret what I meant by that. It's not that we can't understand what lessons the author meant to impart, it's that we don't, or won't, implicitly receive these lessons from a surface reading (or watching, since we're talking about a play), because we simply don't think the same way.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; March 8th, 2023 at 12:26 PM.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A funny joke about Journey to the West, if you understand English and Chinese. As you know, Journey to the West is very loosely based on the historical Xuanzang's travels, so most of the countries that he visits are fictional. One of those fictional countries is the country of 滅法国 (simplified Chinese would be 灭法国) Miefaguo or the Miefa Kingdom. However, the actual modern Chinese naming of France is 法国 Faguo. As you might know from something, like Demon Slayer, in both Chinese and Japanese 滅 mie in Chinese and metsu in Japanese means to destroy. Therefore, read out of context, it totally sounds like some Chinese Buddhist monks were out to destroy France in that story arc. Alternatively, it now feels less unrealistic in F/GO for Sanzang to overshoot and go to Egypt where things could have been worse, and she went to France.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    In the beginning I thought the legend of King Arthur was English.
    Later I learnt it was Welsh.
    Now I realize it is in fact French just loosely based on Welsh tales.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate. Much like Daybit, I am simply correct, and that is the end of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosserbam View Post
    I am not a shitposter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Impressive argument.

Mine, however, is superior: you are dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And you want to be taken seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The planet is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    GOT DICK? ANY PENIS? COCK DONATIONS?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The funny thing is that I learned that from a Fate doujin.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi(kari) View Post
    Later I learnt it was Welsh.
    Strictly speaking that isn't a 100% accurate picture since we know Arthurian tales existed orally in other parts of Britain for example the "Llyfr Taliesin​" is a Welsh translation of a Cumbric poet whose poetry is lost in its native language and was only preserved for future generations by the efforts of Welsh monks.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Cumbric, Welsh. Who cares? They are all brit*ns. Besides, I bet Cumbric is a modern term.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate. Much like Daybit, I am simply correct, and that is the end of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosserbam View Post
    I am not a shitposter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Impressive argument.

Mine, however, is superior: you are dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And you want to be taken seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The planet is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    GOT DICK? ANY PENIS? COCK DONATIONS?