Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1621242526

Thread: Ancient Literature Discussion (History, Myth, Philosophy &c.)

Deadpan Dead People LegalLoliLover's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I notice that while banshees and Dullahans were considered fairies in original Irish legend, modern stories portray them as crying undead, basically La Llorona, and headless undead, respectively. Ghost or zombie depends on the individual story. Meanwhile, oftentimes, modern Japanese portrayal of vampires and werewolves appear more like bat and wolf youkai.
    May the Light of Zvezda Shine Throughout This World!
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN24416R I already mentioned this before, but as you know, when I see something, like this, I tend to shamelessly double down on those who want others to "do better". If the Little Mermaid is a "race traitor" for falling in love with a human, what does that make Sun Wukong, who not only took a human master (yes, I know that there is a difference between a religious master and a slave master) but proceeds to beat and kill his former youkai "bruthas" (at the very least, Wukong made an oath of brotherhood with the Bull Demon King and possibly a couple others) in the name of said master?
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Oh, another reason why many Chinese consider the Mongols to be their ancestors is because unlike the sporadic war crime rapes by the Japanese, Soviets, etc. the Mongols essentially had their own version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droit_du_seigneur The example most familiar to Fate fans is what Gilgamesh mandated on Uruk, but instead of just the king (or in the case of the Mongols, the Khan) having that "privilege", every Mongol general had that privilege with every Han woman.
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    What's the historical reference for Ysmir of Elder Scrolls and Izmir of Granblue Fantasy? They sound similar and both refer to a champion of the frosty north. That can't be a coincidence.
    Spoiler:

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ymir, maybe?

Gundam-a-thon Status: 0079 Zeta ZZ Char's Counterattck War In the Pocket F91 Stardust Memories Victory G Gundam Wing Endless Waltz 8th MS After War X Turn A SEED 00 Unicorn AGE Reconguista The Orgin Thunderbolt IBO

DONE!!!!!! 4 years, 1 week.

Bonus Rounds: Gundam-san Escalflowne Build/Try/Divers

Blog Entries
    Not direct history, but stuff based on history. As you know, among the games where you can play as Nobunaga, you can actually kill Mitsuhide:

With Mitsuhide saying something hilarious while dying, like "Maybe I wanted to lose all along".
    With that in mind, I wonder if something similar will happen should there be a game where you can play as Julius Caesar, with dying Brutus saying something similar (in the Shakespeare play, Brutus was initially hesitant, until Cassius put him up to it). Of course, the traitors' carcasses would still be fed to alligators, anyway:
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Not tied to any particular story, so I'll just use examples both from modern fiction and historical legends. Anyway, have you noticed that as soon as any side gets labeled a "hero" all their actions are portrayed in a super-positive light, while when any side is labeled a "villain" and does the same action, it's portrayed negatively, such as by music, etc.? For example, Paige Tico sacrificing herself in Star Wars is portrayed as a heroic act of martyrdom, but when any given Imperial officer does a similar suicide bomb, the series makes it look so much worse, like the final act of a madman. In 3 Kingdoms, when Cao Cao's army starved to cannibalism, said act of cannibalism was portrayed as evil ransacking, but when Liu Bei ate a woman, the story essentially said that Liu Bei was such a virtuous man that the peasant in question sacrificed his own wife as an offering to a hero.
    Spoiler: