Page 1 of 38 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancient Literature Discussion (History, Myth, Philosophy &c.)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Ancient Literature Discussion (History, Myth, Philosophy &c.)

I mean, in a forum where the most popular work is legendary figures dukin it out it's weird how we didn't have one of these by now

Discuss myth, legend, history, and general old things in this thread pls
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Nerds.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This is my new favorite thread, but we should probably have an opening topic, mr. OP.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmmmmm... how about which mythology is the most full of majestic unicorns?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Okay.

previous episode, on bl history discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I recommend the Illiad for your summer break.
    Quote Originally Posted by @Leo View Post
    Please read books that aren't boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    I've been reading this lately. Maybe it's just this particular writer-translator, but reading it feels like what eating polystyrene packaging must be like- it's thicker than it has any right to be, it's hollow, and it's got to be no good for everybody involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    i read the illiad when i was like 10 and loved it stop being a girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I will write 10,000 words at you on the brilliance of the Iliad, Leo.

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel893 View Post
    Hindu. e) but Seiba might take it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Unicorns weren't actually really a thing like we know them until the middle ages, but some greeks were convinced they were real and that they lived in a distant land called India.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haseo Nanaya View Post
    Hindu.
    Incorrect b0ss.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    [SEIKA MEGAPOSTING INTENSIFIES]

Blog Entries
    Right. The Iliad. The greatest work of literature ever (as shown authoritatively by Googling "Iliad greatest ever"). How are you going to read it?

You aren't. You're going to hear it sung to you in several sessions over the course of a few day by a bard who's memorised it in its entirety, accompanied by feasting, music, and friends. In the original Greek. This is as it's supposed to be experienced; this is the medium for which it was written, and in which it is best displayed.

No? You can't manage that? Well, we can't have everything. You say, in fact, that you want to read it by yourself, silently, in English? Yuck. But let's see what we can do.

In general, there are three translations which Classicists will recommend to a layperson:
    Robert Fagles
    Robert FitzGerald
    Martin Hammond

Of these, I find Hammond's the best. It is, admittedly, prose, and this undercuts a lot of the poetic sense of the Iliad. This is very unfortunate. It is however, to my mind, the one that best captures Homer's emotion. I don't mean that in the literalness of the translation, but in the way it grasps the glory and the tragedy of the Iliad, in its grand quest for honour, its quiet reflections, and its cruel bloodshed.

I will leave you with some of my own translation, from one of my absolute favourite bits of my absolute favourite poem. This begins at about the two hundredth line of the Iliad, and is just after Akhilleus has been implored by Athene to merely despise Agamemnon and not actually kill him.

Peleus’ son immediately spoke vicious words
    to Atreus’ son, and he did not turn back his anger:

“Wine made you fat; you have the eyes of a dog and the heart of a deer.
    You have never gone into battle with the war-host,
    never taken up your spear alongside the best warriors of the Akhaians;
    you’ve never bothered: you think it would be your doom.
    Instead, it’s much better for you to steal the gifts
    from whoever speaks out against you in the Akhaians’ wide camp.
    You are a king who devours his people, ruling over worthless subjects,
    or else you would have already done your last cruel deed.
    But I tell you this, and I swear a mighty oath on it -
    by this sceptre which cannot produce leaves or branches
    any more, since it left its stump in the mountains;
    and will not bloom again, for the bronze stripped away
    its leaves and its bark; and now the sons of the Akhaians
    carry it in their hands to show that they are judges, who protect
    the customs of Zeus - and this will be a mighty oath against you:
    the pain of Akhilleus shall be inflicted on the sons of the Akhaians,
    each and every one. And when this happens, nothing will be able protect you,
    however much it hurts, when many at the hands of Hektor the killer
    lie dead. And you will tear at your heart within you
    that you angered the best of the Akhaians and did not appease him.”

So spoke the son of Peleus, and he threw the sceptre studded with gold nails
    to the earth, and he sat himself down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    [SEIKA MEGAPOSTING INTENSIFIES]
    I'm not actually going to write 10,000 words on why I love the Iliad. (Yet). But you were correct in anticipating a​ post at least.
    Last edited by Seika; May 30th, 2015 at 10:55 PM.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I'm not actually going to write 10,000 words on why I love the Iliad. (Yet). But you were correct in anticipating a​ post at least.
    I've come to know what to expect when you hover in the "browsing this thread" bar for 20 minutes without saying anything.

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    That was pretty dry. Not tech manual dry, but still pretty dry.

Or at least not fun to read.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I liked it, though its not the kind of thing I can comprehensively read at 5 in the morning (which it happens to be right now).

- - - Updated - - -

Its an easier read than Islamic law books at least.

Speaking of, those are a pain. I've been reading through The Righteous Society by Jørgen Bæk Simonsen for the last 2 months at a snail's pace because it's not just theology but also jury and law at the same time and fuuuuuuuuuck its hard to keep my attention with that. It's interesting, but it's also fucking hard reading not in the sense that his writing is complex (since its mostly a thesis-esque analysis), but that the topic is just so weighted.
    Last edited by Christemo; May 30th, 2015 at 11:22 PM.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel893 View Post
    De Bello Gallico.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Anyone read here Secret History by Procopius? Certainly not most reliable account of Justinian's reign, but I read it for the salt and spicy moments.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Anyone read here Secret History by Procopius? Certainly not most reliable account of Justinian's reign, but I read it for the salt and spicy moments.
    It's better than TMZ.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So an obvious place for this thread to start would be: what are (some) of your favorite mythological/historical etc stories/books and why should I or others read them?

I guess I'll start with The Divine Comedy, which is to date probably my favorite religious book. It's heavy, confusing poetry and you basically need a reference list just to keep up with all the names that are dropped in it, but it's a journey through hell quite unlike anything else I've read, and Dante does a bang-up job telling people his intricate and complex vision of hell in enough detail that you will probably be able to recite some of the Cantos from memory when you're done...

...Bashing of various people he didnt like (even though they were probably bad people) and how it had Muhammad in the circle of Fraud aside, it's pretty much one of my favorite books of all.
    Last edited by Christemo; May 31st, 2015 at 12:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Divine Comedy is not mythological or historical. Just trying to keep us on topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by @Leo View Post
    Divine Comedy is not mythological or historical.
    Notice "old fiction" is in the title of the thread, and I address it specifically as a religious book.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Is it old fiction? .-.

e: welp