View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 125 of 242 FirstFirst ... 2575115120123124125126127130135175225 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah because I think normal games generally do not have the BL problem of HEY LOOK AT MY FIGHTER DOING 20d20 DAMAGE WITH 30 FOOT REACH AND 20 AOOS THAT TRIGGER WHENEVER AN ENEMY SNEEZES so you can totally be the asshole of your group with any class.

- - - Updated - - -

i might be wrong
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That problem extends far beyond BL, I'm afraid.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    I guess that's why PF requires familiarity and communication. You usually know if your other players also powergame and can adapt.

On my first campaign I was a bit blindsided and then had to on-the-fly cook up a way to catch up with Chris while not losing too much of my flavor options but again thanks to the incredible amount of shit you can get in PF even that isn't too hard.

it just made me cry because i couldnt pick more flavor shit

- - - Updated - - -

also i had one of the most broken classes in the game so that helps

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    That problem extends far beyond BL, I'm afraid.
    Yeah it's more of an internet thing.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Well PF also really encourages it because it can create a huge disparity and if you don't just google for a guide finding your own neat little tricks is fun. It just becomes problematic when that ends up being the only reason for your RPing or if you have a mixed group of people going full flavor and people going full system obsession.

But I can adapt and generally don't get too mad if I suck.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    It's just ... it costs $150 for the ultimate version, and even that only gets you the SRD stuff in terms of play material. You then have to buy whatever else you might want as a DM (or regular player who would prefer the ultimate licence's add-ons), including things like the Elemental Evil Player's Companion that is free to download off Wizards' site but FG charges you for​.
    I'm not defending the price for the ultimate version or for them charging extra on what should be a free source book. I'm just saying that, out of the few online options I've tried, it has the best interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

Blog Entries
    Thinking to myself: whenever I open up a new pdf character sheet, one of the options I immediately turn off is the inclusion of coin weight. So ... why? It's in the rules. I tend to have fifty or more coins, so it makes a difference, if not a huge one. What's my problem with it?

Realisation: I am conditioned by paper play to think of it as hugely fiddly and generally stupid to keep track of. So, even when it's all automated, my subconscious says "No, this is bad," and urges me to get rid of it.

It's kinda funny.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Coin... weight?

Blog Entries
    Each coin = 1/3oz (don't think about the fact that this means copper, sliver, gold, an alloy of gold and silver, and platinum are all meant to weigh the same). 50 coins = 1lb. PHB p143.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Okay wow I didn't know there was a rule for that.

We ignore weight limits entirely (something I'm not completely happy with) and pretty much every time the question of "wait, how would you count out 8,000 gold coins?" comes up the response is "shut the fuck up"

Blog Entries
    Ahhh, metric is so much easier: it's 10g per coin. But I've done D&D in imperial for so loooooong...
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So me and my group have finally managed to sync our timetables up so we can play next week.

Dragon encounter is about to finally go down.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I have had very little exposure to imperial before D&D, I can't envision distance or weight for shit

Grid paper all the waaaaaay

also I might not be able to envision distance for shit using metric either

Metric coinholders are being shortchanged.

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty bad at imperial weight; I've handled weights for kitchen scales and stuff, but I still don't know how many ounces to the pound or pounds to the stone.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Stone is very special, though. It's unique enough that I at least remembered that 14 pounds = 1 stone even if that was never useful to me outside the GP's office.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Okay wow I didn't know there was a rule for that.

We ignore weight limits entirely (something I'm not completely happy with) and pretty much every time the question of "wait, how would you count out 8,000 gold coins?" comes up the response is "shut the fuck up"
    Gygax specifically brought that kind of thing up because you could often generate adventures out of mundane issues like that. "Great, we have 7010 platinum, 12,931 gold 25,055 silver, and 33,714 copper coins, plus a dozen art pieces and assorted gems, and no bag of holding. How do we move this from point A to point B?" becomes an adventure itself. Hire people to help. Buy the necessary support equipment. Feint off others that want to claim the loot. Completely change the economics within the region. Become Thorin Oakenshield.

I actually like figuring out mundane stuff like that rather than "Who can I find to enchant my sword to +3 flaming burst?"

Blog Entries
    I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Gygax specifically brought that kind of thing up because you could often generate adventures out of mundane issues like that. "Great, we have 7010 platinum, 12,931 gold 25,055 silver, and 33,714 copper coins, plus a dozen art pieces and assorted gems, and no bag of holding. How do we move this from point A to point B?" becomes an adventure itself. Hire people to help. Buy the necessary support equipment. Feint off others that want to claim the loot. Completely change the economics within the region. Become Thorin Oakenshield.

I actually like figuring out mundane stuff like that rather than "Who can I find to enchant my sword to +3 flaming burst?"
    It's funny, the first thing that made me sound interested in checking out D&D was browsing in a comic store and I overheard some other players. They were in a forest of some kind, and were doing things like checking the direction of sun, following a river, checking their fresh water supplies to properly plan how to navigate out of this. The level of detail was what made it sound super intriguing to me. I do think things like that could be fun to play around as a player, but I'd need it to be under a DM who is already used to things like that.

That's one part of the 'rules for everything' approach 3.5E had that appeals to me - there are too many topics in D&D that I don't know enough about to make reasonable call as DM. Anyway, with my players they have made it extremely clear they do not want to deal with those mechanics or concerns, it doesn't interest them at all. The above scenario would probably be seen as a waste of time to half of them, currently the mood seems to be that we shouldn't be spending time on irrelevant quests and instead do meaningful things.

I kind of thought originally that I'd be someone who prefers DMing, but I'm starting to think now that playing might be more of my thing. There just seem to be a lot of cool things I want to experience as a player, rather than run it as a DM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    When you spend a month hyping up the groups first dragon encounter only for half the players to cancel at last minute. :/ You continue anyways and the PC's wander through the swamp to see the Young Black Dragon in the distance. You expect them to scout around and analyse but they just waltz up and talk to it. In the resulting fight you built to be hard for the full party it ends up fighting a level 5 rogue and wizard which going by Kobold fight club should be deadly... ends up jobbing to them.