View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 193 of 242 FirstFirst ... 93143183188191192193194195198203 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Hm, I see, I see.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I only killed a player for the first time with my recent campaign with my roommates. Of the three - a Paladin, Warlock and Ranger - the Warlock was knocked down a cliff and lost consciousness, followed by the Paladin being taken to 0. The ranger, being an Aarakocra, flew out of melee range of the enemies, including a wolf which obviously had no ranged attacks. So the wolf attacked the Paladin, delivering two failed death saves. The enemies persuaded the Ranger to surrender, but he refused, attempting to attack. So on the Paladin's turn they rolled a failed death save and died. Then the ranger surrendered and was taken captive with the Warlock.

The next session went much better, the Paladin rolled up a new character (also a Paladin, lol) and they were able to escape captivity, defeat their captors, and recover the dead Paladin's body.

In a previous campaign, I'd nearly killed a character in a similar way - it was my former PC from before I took over as DM, but he stayed as an NPC/DMPC in the group to shore up the party's weaknesses (Wizard, Sorceror and Rogue - my Barbarian was a valuable tank and damage dealer). In a skirmish, they were being overwhelmed, and 'my' Barbarian went down. They proceeded to hide themselves behind pillars, leaving the Barbarian unconscious out in the open. So, the two remaining enemies immediately attacked the downed Barb and the group was shocked. In this instance, however, they responded quickly enough to heal the Barb and attacked the enemies, bringing them down.

I am not sure why my players have assumed that unconscious PCs would be safe to the point of downright stupidity (no, an NPC won't just choose to do nothing with their turn if the only enemy nearby is unconscious) but it's always a good wake-up call.
    That's not really a given. Most enemies WILL ignore an unconscious enemy in favour of a conscious threat. Moreover, depending on the enemy and the circumstances prisoners can be much more valuable than corpses. In the cases you described though, yeah. A wild animal is likely to indulge itself when in frenzy if its handlers don't restrain it, and using the downed enemy a a hostage to lure the others out of hiding makes perfect sense.

In general though, going for the unconscious guy as a DM is kind of a "dick move". You do it if it wouldn't make sense not to,such as in the situations you described, but having an NPC go "oh so I can't immediately hit the enemy, guess I'll just take my time to stab this guy who is already down and no threat to me whatsoever" is dangerously close to metagaming. Remember, NPC's don't have the concept of "wasted turns". If they're not in range to attack, they will move in range to attack, if they still can't reach then they'll double move. They don't care about action economy, after all. Save that kind of combat savvy for named enemies and the like.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I don't agree. The players fine tuning their turns represents in-world combat experience and a lot of enemies would have that or the instinct to do so. That and in a world where magical healing is prevalent, it would be common knowledge that a downed enemy can still be a threat. The players certainly waste no time in finishing off downed enemies almost every time when the shoe is on the other foot, so it shouldn't seem out of place that enemies do it too.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    That's not really a given. Most enemies WILL ignore an unconscious enemy in favour of a conscious threat. Moreover, depending on the enemy and the circumstances prisoners can be much more valuable than corpses. In the cases you described though, yeah. A wild animal is likely to indulge itself when in frenzy if its handlers don't restrain it, and using the downed enemy a a hostage to lure the others out of hiding makes perfect sense.

In general though, going for the unconscious guy as a DM is kind of a "dick move". You do it if it wouldn't make sense not to,such as in the situations you described, but having an NPC go "oh so I can't immediately hit the enemy, guess I'll just take my time to stab this guy who is already down and no threat to me whatsoever" is dangerously close to metagaming. Remember, NPC's don't have the concept of "wasted turns". If they're not in range to attack, they will move in range to attack, if they still can't reach then they'll double move. They don't care about action economy, after all. Save that kind of combat savvy for named enemies and the like.
    None of that is news to me, but it really doesn't apply to this situation.

It's not metagaming to make effective use of a NPCs actions, and I'm also not adverse to having them waste actions/take obviously poor actions if it's appropriate. But I don't see it being appropriate in either situation:

*In the first scenario, all players were accounted for. Two were unconscious, and one was deliberately flying out of range of the melee enemies and refusing to surrender. It doesn't make much sense for a wolf to be fighting an enemy and just stop attacking it because it's unconcious.

*In the second scenario, the archers would have had to give up an advantageous position to pursue the party who was out of sight behind cover. These were Yuan-ti, smart enough to know that's a bad idea. Attacking an unconscious ally is a good way to attempt to flush them out of hiding.

Frankly, if anything here is metagaming, it's the players deliberately leaving characters downed or in vulnerable positions because they think they'll be fine and don't want to waste their actions stabilizing an ally, which is at times completely at odds with their character's RP. I don't go straight after downed players, but having the possibility still be there prevents players from making weird mechanical decisions that break character.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Id argue that how enemies treat downed allies depends on the context. Intelligent or cunnimg foes (10+) might remember or take notice of downed PCs. You might have them use dying allies as makeshift hostages, or they might decide to prioritize more immediate threats and attack those that are still standing. A ravenous animal might try to drag a fallen ally to its nest as food, or it may be simple enpugh to only pay attention to active and dangerous targets.

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    I don't agree. The players fine tuning their turns represents in-world combat experience and a lot of enemies would have that or the instinct to do so. That and in a world where magical healing is prevalent, it would be common knowledge that a downed enemy can still be a threat. The players certainly waste no time in finishing off downed enemies almost every time when the shoe is on the other foot, so it shouldn't seem out of place that enemies do it too.
    Re: the players doing it:
    The players always have a bit more leeway when it comes to optimizing their combat turns; after all, ideally, they're always in situations that are a genuine challenge to them. Even then, assuming you keep track of unconscious NPCs and don't just declare them dead when they hit 0 (as is, I believe, the default in 5e) stabbing someone while they're down would be an at least minor Evil act and bound to raise a few eyebrows.
    RE: NPC's doing it:

Magical healing exists, to be sure, but it's always supposed to be something relatively rare; doubly so for the recent "lower magic" editions, where even a major city isn't guaranteed to have a high level Cleric offering their services. Health potions are more common, but they also aren't as strong and obviously require administering to the victim if they're unconscious. For a team of assassins with foreknowledge of who they're going up against, finishing off their kills would make sense (as would poisoning their weapons, setting traps, etc). A group of random bandits on the road, not so much.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; September 3rd, 2019 at 01:02 AM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

assuming you keep track of unconscious NPCs and don't just declare them dead when they hit 0 (as is, I believe, the default in 5e)
    you'd be wrong in assuming so

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    None of that is news to me, but it really doesn't apply to this situation.

It's not metagaming to make effective use of a NPCs actions, and I'm also not adverse to having them waste actions/take obviously poor actions if it's appropriate. But I don't see it being appropriate in either situation:

*In the first scenario, all players were accounted for. Two were unconscious, and one was deliberately flying out of range of the melee enemies and refusing to surrender. It doesn't make much sense for a wolf to be fighting an enemy and just stop attacking it because it's unconcious.

*In the second scenario, the archers would have had to give up an advantageous position to pursue the party who was out of sight behind cover. These were Yuan-ti, smart enough to know that's a bad idea. Attacking an unconscious ally is a good way to attempt to flush them out of hiding.

Frankly, if anything here is metagaming, it's the players deliberately leaving characters downed or in vulnerable positions because they think they'll be fine and don't want to waste their actions stabilizing an ally, which is at times completely at odds with their character's RP. I don't go straight after downed players, but having the possibility still be there prevents players from making weird mechanical decisions that break character.
    I said that it was justified in the examples you posted, just not in general.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

screw your merge, muhahaha

shit BL says

ladies, he's single

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Re: the players doing it:
    The players always have a bit more leeway when it comes to optimizing their combat turns; after all, ideally, they're always on situations that are a genuine challenge to them. Even then, assuming you keep track of unconscious NPCs and don't just declare them dead when they hit 0 (as is, I believe, the default in 5e) stabbing someone while they're down would be an at least minor Evil act and bound to raise a few eyebrows.
    RE: NPC's doing jt
    Magical healing exists, to be sure, but it's always supposed to be something relatively rare; doubly so for the recent "lower magic" editions, where even a major city isn't guaranteed to have a high level Cleric offering their services. Health potions are more common, but they also aren't as strong and obviously require administering to the victim if they're unconscious. For a team of assassins with foreknowledge of who they're going up against, finishing off their kills would make sense (as would poisoning their weapons, setting traps, etc). A group of random bandits on the road, not so much.
    While it's true that 5e got sold as "low magic" and that stuff like getting magic items is a lot harder, in settings like Forgotten Realms magic is still fairly common, so people wouldn't be caught unawares by it. Phandalin, the backwater town in the 5e Starter Set, has members of powerful magical organizations crawling all over it.

But yes I agree that it depends on the situation. Also NPCs don't have to die automatically on 0; you have the option to use saves if it's a more important character.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    While it's true that 5e got sold as "low magic" and that stuff like getting magic items is a lot harder, in settings like Forgotten Realms magic is still fairly common, so people wouldn't be caught unawares by it. Phandalin, the backwater town in the 5e Starter Set, has members of powerful magical organizations crawling all over it.

But yes I agree that it depends on the situation. Also NPCs don't have to die automatically on 0; you have the option to use saves if it's a more important character.
    Eh, considering Phandalin is part of the "tutorial adventure module" for 5e, so to speak, I'd give it a pass as not really indicative of the overall state of the realm. Granted, Forgotten Realms has always been a high magic setting, but it's not supposed to be the default.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

How is it not supposed to be the default? Cormyr had a high-profile court magician in Vangerdahast, the greatest magician of the realms has very publicly "retired" to Shadowdale, the Seven Sisters are very public figures (and some of them are also rulers in their own right), Thay is a literal magocracy, Manshoon (and Zhentarim magicians in general) is probably a boogeyman in the northern realms, and any learned person would have at least heard of Netheril. I'm not even getting into countries where magic is specifically more common than in others, such as Cormanthor or Silverymoon.

The Realms have always been a high-magic setting, there's no way around it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, sorry, my brain is still scrambled. You're saying the Realms aren't supposed to be representative of D&D in general. My bad!
    (Though I'd disagree with that statement simply on the basis of it being the most popular setting.)

Ιf I recall correctly, Greyhawk was supposed to be the "official" D&D setting, at least originally. Though I think they stopped trying to push that around the time 3.5 dropped, if not earlier.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

マリーの味方
    FR is definitely the default setting for 5e considering the majority of official content takes place in it.

Ιf I recall correctly, Greyhawk was supposed to be the "official" D&D setting, at least originally. Though I think they stopped trying to push that around the time 3.5 dropped, if not earlier.
    It was only the official - as in, default - setting in 3.0 and 3.5. The core books didn't have default settings before then, and I'd argue Mystara was more the face of OD&D than Greyhawk, at least after a certain point.

I miss Mystara.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Eh, considering Phandalin is part of the "tutorial adventure module" for 5e, so to speak, I'd give it a pass as not really indicative of the overall state of the realm. Granted, Forgotten Realms has always been a high magic setting, but it's not supposed to be the default.
    Forgotten Realms is the default 5e setting.

Wait, really?
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Would I ever lie to you

Blog Entries
    Hmmm... first it was what, Blackmoor? Then it was the Hollow World of Mystara, which was literally future!Blackmoor. Then it was Greyhawk for 3x, Points of Light/Nentir Vale for 4e, and now Greenwood's Forgotten Realms.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see