View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 205 of 242 FirstFirst ... 105155195200203204205206207210215 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,100 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

mac dont do this

To be alive...to walk this earth...that's the real curse.
    <Airen> I play hetero every once in awhile
    Spoiler:
    <~Katie> dude who gives a fuck about girls being gay, sometimes girls aren't gay and that decision should be respected

Spoiler:
    [12:21.40] that might be a top tier post[12:21.45] frantic[12:21.47] post of the month, even[12:21.48] this right here[12:21.49] is MC [12:21.56] johnny has nothing on this dude[12:22.00] he's the MC of the nisio half[12:22.12] so wait[12:22.15] [ ] is, after all, my rival character[12:22.16] am i the gag heroine[12:22.20] yes

Blog Entries
    mac should not talk about games he has not played

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    look im a crystal lizard expert ok

i meant just like losing humanity is bad and makes you fall apart, getting corruption is the same
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

don't defend yourself you muppet

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    dont be mad because im right

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    As a result, there is a mechanic called Corruption, which is sort of like Humanity from Dark Souls. When you die, you get a rank of Corruption and then can continue on, but with some madness, trauma, or evil tainting your heart. The more corruption you get, the more twisted you become, until finally your character no longer able to be the hero that they once were.
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    i meant just like losing humanity is bad and makes you fall apart, getting corruption is the same
    you can really tell you haven't played any dark souls game properly

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    its not that deep bro

マリーの味方
    I mean, having no stake in this, I can see the comparison. The corruption mechanic isn't too different to turning Hollow. The main difference is corruption is more active and seemingly from an external source whereas the Hollow decline is internal.

I forgot you went as far as dark souls 3's crystal lizard then ragequit out

- - - Updated - - -

see sesto he'd be right if he at any point mentioned going hollow
    but instead he chose the exact wrong word

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    I mean, having no stake in this, I can see the comparison. The corruption mechanic isn't too different to turning Hollow. The main difference is corruption is more active and seemingly from an external source whereas the Hollow decline is internal.
    Yeah, exactly.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone with more DnD history knowledge enlighten me why a) Psionics need to exist and b) why they are such a clusterfuck in 5e with 5 different approaches now and every one of them just feels bad
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    A) Couple of reasons, probably the chief of which is it appears WotC is working on a Dark Sun supplement where Psionics are a core part of the setting. As for why fans want them, 'cause psychic powers are pretty popular in fiction and they've existed in older editions with unique mechanics. Those mechanics don't currently exist in 5e and so fans of those mechanics would like to see them in 5e.

B) because it's 5e. To be less glib, adding a new system to a game is always hard, and 5e makes that job harder when the only system they have with anything resembling depth is spellcasting. But the biggest problem, I believe, is that they initially tried to add an entire new system (psionics) by representing it as a single class, so every idea they had for psionics went into it. It'd be like if they wanted to introduce spellcasting by bringing in the Wizard, who also had the ideas for Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster bundled in it, with the entire spellcasting rules and spell lists as part of the class description. Obviously it'd be a clusterfuck.

Their solution? Cut the base class, put it only into subclasses. Which is like introducing spellcasting by JUST having the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster, and also they don't share any mechanics. And then they tried to go the Artificer route with "lol just reflavour spellcasting" because that's low effort and people already accept vancian spellcasting. It seems they've finally come up with a unifying mechanic to based psionics around, and I could see this psionic die/burnout actually being enough to make a non-clusterfuck class around.

Unfortunately it looks like a Psion class is now off the cards, which kind of sucks. Also while the idea of a psionic die burning out with successive use is cool, as it stands it's very unlikely to actually happen once you get to higher levels, which kind of defeats the point of it.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Newer iteration is better than the last which seemed to mostly just be spells, again, which really made me think what's the point. Mystic was broken in 12 different ways but it at least felt unique, and now they try some middle of the road approach that doesn't really satisfy either side of the debate.

Just doesn't really endear me to the idea of them being necessary parts of the setting especially when they don't really do anything different than their superclasses (arguably with the fighter but we had Eldritch Knight already and now we're getting the Echo Whatever as another Magical Fighter option so idk)
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I don't think there is any point doing it if you're just going to make it spells. That's the shittest option by far, so I'm glad this UA has taken a step back from that.

But Dark Sun existed before 5e, and Psionics are definitely an important part of their setting. Mike Mearls has said they won't do a 5e Dark Sun until they get psionics right, which is a good attitude to have.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    To add to what Saiga said, I believe psionics was actually invented even before the Dark Sun setting; AD&D 1st edition had rules for psionics either in the PHB or the DMG, can't remember, and I think there was an OD&D psionics supplement, too - inspired by pseudo-Hindi and Buddhist mysticism, I think? Anyway, if I had to guess why the writers felt the need to add psionics is that early D&D was very much inspired by sixties' and seventies' fantasy, which often mixed and matched traditional fantasy with sci-fi (or "sci"-fi, as it were).

Blog Entries
    If nothing else, the two main D&D setting currently in use both have had Psionics in the past with varying degrees of importance. Forgotten Realms had various Aberrations, a family of Psionic Drow that figured into the Drizzt novels, and Psionic Yuan-Ti, while Eberron had it baked into the starting Races (Kalashtar and Psiforged) and some of the main antagonist factions (Cults of the Dragon Below, the Daelkyr and their forces, the Dreaming Dark and Inspired) in the world.

Nearly every Edition has had Psi. It's usually optional, but some settings require it. One of which they've already released. Dark Sun, on the other hand, literally made every creature Psionic and magic kills the environment like radioactive waste, so I can see why they want it to work right before they implement it.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Uh, what? The only Psionic Drow I remember in the Drizzt novels was Kimmuriel Oblodra, he was a part of Jarlaxle's band and not in a family, and I don't think it was ever said the rest of his family had that same gift.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; April 19th, 2020 at 07:15 PM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Blog Entries
    They did. It's actually a major plot point for them. Oblodra were unaffected by the Time of Troubles, so when Arcane and Divine Magic were jacked up, they nearly conquered Menzoberranzan and overthrew the Baenres were it not for magic returning.

The reason Kimmuriel is with Jarlaxle is the destruction of his house following that debacle.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Ah, the Drizzt novels. I remember those... *Not* fondly.
    Salvatore should have cared more about writing a *novel* than the transcript of RPG sessions.