View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 216 of 242 FirstFirst ... 116166206211214215216217218221226 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,320 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Well what I meant was, what do you dislike about it. You alluded it to being a mess before, but is that all?
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Old systems aside, one thing I've loved about 5e is how easy it is to mod. The simple and light chassis makes it perfect for integrating any kind of concepts from other games or systems into it. At this point every game I run is some sort of offshoot from the core game.

I just converted some Pathfinder 1 spells and monsters over too, easy peasy.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Looking at the Khajiit from the Elder Scrolls, has anyone ever homebrewed a similar kind of race for their settings? I ask this because there are like 17 different variations of the race depending on the phases of the moons, resulting in Khajiit that look like house cats to Khajiit that look like anime cat girls practically to Khajiit that look like a giant lion almost (a smilodon I believe):
    Spoiler:

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    5E has Tabaxi and Leonin

Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    5E has Tabaxi and Leonin
    Well, I meant more the possibility of a race where you can play as a housecat, an anime catgirl, or a lion or whatever and they're all part of the same race and are equally viable as player characters based on the lore.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    is it time to post my anime catgirl homebrew

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Funny you would say that.

This game is open, by the way, if you actually want to play AD&D.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Huh, what are those last 3 tabs over there? I've never seen them before. Macro Generator, etc.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Well what I meant was, what do you dislike about it. You alluded it to being a mess before, but is that all?
    Yeah, I find AD&D is less a coherent system and more of a whole mess of subsystems patched together with our hopes for a happy and peaceful 2021. That said, while that's the main reason why I dislike it, it's not the only one. Leaving aside the many design decisions which I find don't make for a fun game (for instance, I have rarely seen anyone genuinely roll the stats required to play a Paladin; most of the time, the GM gave them some leeway), my other complaint is that AD&D basically tried to codify a ton of things, and in doing so ended up being much more restrictive than OD&D, for instance.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Huh, what are those last 3 tabs over there? I've never seen them before. Macro Generator, etc.
    How on earth do you bear using roll20 without the VTT Enhancement Suite?

(Roll20's admins really hate it because it does the work that they theoretically could possibly one day maybe in the future when they hire a new code monkey from India have done themselves. It's the only reason I can still tolerate the site, tbh)

- - - Updated - - -

One of them might come from peasant subscription to roll20, but I'm really not sure about that one, it mostly gives dynamic lightning and the ability to use any media at all without hitting data limit in a milisecond.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Ah yes, VTT Enhancement Suite. I tried it for a while, but it crushes my browser too much to be worth it. I already get most of what I want from my own APIs.

Old systems aside, one thing I've loved about 5e is how easy it is to mod. The simple and light chassis makes it perfect for integrating any kind of concepts from other games or systems into it. At this point every game I run is some sort of offshoot from the core game.

I just converted some Pathfinder 1 spells and monsters over too, easy peasy.
    I think both reasons, for it & Pathfinder 1e, are why both are so popular for 3rd party campaign settings and products.

Similar to say the Traveller ruleset, especially once Cepheus Engine came out and tons of 3rd party publishers came out with products and campaign settings for it.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Nachos asked for a bloodthirsty knight that only cares about rampaging through the battlefield, so I made this Fighter subclass for fun.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Nachos asked for a bloodthirsty knight that only cares about rampaging through the battlefield, so I made this Fighter subclass for fun.
    I was expecting “Diet Barbarian” but this was actually quite fun!

Maybe I should try making my own homebrew at some point.

I'm half-surprised you didn't just tell him to play a Champion. :-P
    Let's see, some general notes...

Bathe in Blood is probably too strong. On the other hand, being unable to move Hunter's Mark from one target to the next seems too limiting. ETA: Also, while I'm mostly on the side of thinking it's fine, Hunter's Mark is basically a Ranger's iconic ability (which is why it should have been a class feature, 5E designers, not a spell!), so you might want to consider if you really want to give it to a Fighter subclass.

ETA 2: Blood in the Water seems way too limited. I imagine it won't be used most combats.

Through the Pain seems conceptually weird: you can grit your teeth and "fight through the pain" when you *dodge* (or at least, partially dodge) a fireball or lightning bolt, but not when you're hit directly, or when - off the top of my head - an ogre punches you in the face.

Speaking of the concept, I'm not really getting any "and they burn themselves up to have [a good fight]" vibe from the subclass. I'm getting more of a "predator" feel from it than a "battle-crazy thrill-seeker" one, to be honest.
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; September 22nd, 2020 at 07:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    My brain.
    So, according to this article, Hasbro is making 5e games for Power Rangers, G.I. Joe, Transformers, and My Little Ponies.

I'm not even sure what to think.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

Huh. You know, with some reflavouring, it's possible they may be used as 5E's version of d20 Modern and d20 Future.
    Except for My Little Pony - that one will probably be right at home in any standard D&D campaign setting. :-P

Blog Entries
    Ponyfinder is a thing, yo. Not my thing, per se, but still a thing XD
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic

There's also a screencap webcomic which imagines the Friendship is Magic series as if it were a game of 4th Edition, "Friendship is Dragons".

Blog Entries
    Hot Take: Hasbro should license My Hero Academia for superhero DnD instead of Western comics and incorporate rules for medieval heroes and integrating the mechanics into other settings. Like this thing:

Spoiler:
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning