View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 165 of 242 FirstFirst ... 65115155160163164165166167170175215 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I was thinking it would be cool to play some kind of mage character but then I read through the setting info again and all this talk about the leylines in the west being totally fucked makes it seem like that would be blindly walking into hard mode

Now I don't know if I should follow my heart or hedge my bets and play it safe
    Choosing a mage character shouldn't be hard mode
    if anything the two mage-y characters in my run helped immensely, without them we wouldn't have escaped the certain death Fire Elemental or had a underwater sleepover

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking it would be cool to play some kind of mage character but then I read through the setting info again and all this talk about the leylines in the west being totally fucked makes it seem like that would be blindly walking into hard mode

If you want safe, can't get much safer than 8 Ancients Paladin.

I mean, you can, but that's the easiest character to make for safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

MORE PALADINS

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Reminds me that I need to look at the Eberron stuff that finally came out for 5e. All I remember from that is that WARFORGED are on the table.
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries

Go with your heart! Ley lines augment magical power, but they aren't required to cast spells. Mages fight over them because of how much extra power it grants the users -- like countries fighting over oil. Of course, in the Wasted West they are completely messed up, so while one can tap into them, there will be unpredictable effects for magic used in their presence.

But there are ways to mitigate those effects -- by being a geomancer, for instance.

Another way of looking at it is that it's hard mode either way, so you might as well do what you want.

Keep those sign ups coming!
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Always follow your heart. I know a Dragonborn STR bard isn't necessarily the best thing, but I followed my heart and he's to this day one of my favourite characters I've played (again I have a massive bias for dragonborn from the second I knew they were a thing).

Suggestions for mage-y type of characters for newcomers to the system:

-Sorcerer: This is possibly the best class for wizard-wannabes that want to use spells they can actually commit to working memory. Low skill ceiling, as you only need to memorize a bunch of spells and modify them to do your thing.

-Warlock: Deceptively strong caster, focused on cantrips and Eldritch Invocations for versatility. Ignore EIs that make you expend spell slots, and you can use your spell slots for specific things that you can't do without expending resources. Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast does more damage than most spells, and it's free to boot. Essentially, the most resource-lite characters in the book.

-Bard: Bards in past editions have been and acted like dumb, puffy sleeve wearing idiots. Now they are full casters and deceptively powerful controllers. You can cast n' slash with them, or focus on casting and take ANY spell from ANY class at level 6 as a Lore Bard. They are more resilient, have access to armor, inspiration, and a bunch of other goodies along with spell limit that make them very pleasant to work with.
    Last edited by Optimus; September 17th, 2018 at 04:32 PM.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

Sign me up. Might be making a different character this time though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    there will be unpredictable effects for magic used in their presence.
    Now that’s an opening for some DM bullshit if I’ve ever seen one!
    All right, magic user it is.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    I wish to make mAc's life harder by signing up for the list.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

マリーの味方
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    On an unrelated note: I've decided I want to try running the LMoP starter set on roll20 after my exams are finished next month, since I think it's a really good, short adventure.

If anyone hasn't done the module before and is interested, please let me know. I'd like to do monthly sessions, and my timezone is 1 hr off Japan but I can be flexible on weekends.

I'll have more details after the 10th, but I just want to check who is interested?
    I'd be down for this but I've also DM'd LMoP before so maybe not what you're looking for.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yay

For anyone interested in LMoP who has played before, I'll still consider you. If you think you'd still have fun despite your prior knowledge then that's the main thing.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Yay

For anyone interested in LMoP who has played before, I'll still consider you. If you think you'd still have fun despite your prior knowledge then that's the main thing.
    If you need another person to fill in spots then I'd be interested.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Oh oh, sign me up, sign me up!
    I actually had an old DM spring up out of nowhere and invite me to his Stars Without Number campaign, but you can never have too many campaigns. Plus, to my understanding, this will be a oneshot adventure, right?
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Someone wants me to run Starfinder for them and I agreed under the unspoken condition that it would be set in the setting of All Tomorrows (changed to allow fantasy elements and interstellar travel).

Then I took a look at the corebook, and shook.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I could delete Solarians from it, at the very least.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't think it was possible to gut paladins any harder than 5e did, and leave an even thinner hollow shell, but here we are.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Never checked out Starfinder, but it's essentially Pathfinder in space, and Pathfinder was D&D 3.75, so how bad can it be?

Also, damn it, Mac. I wanted to run my old Dragonborn Cleric but reading the doc about Charun I'm too tempted to remake my Catfolk Paladin in 5e instead. It's not gonna woooooork
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Blog Entries
    after reading this, i'm not sure if i'd still want to do druid, maybe one from the northlands is an option

but either way, it looks fun as hell
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    What changed your mind?

Keep in mind, the Wasted West is only one region of the world -- the subclasses, backgrounds, and spells offered are meant to give you a sense of what the place is like, and the atmosphere you're going to be playing in. But it doesn't mean that's where your character has to be from.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Plus, to my understanding, this will be a oneshot adventure, right?
    Yes.

There is a slight possibility I make it a "two-shot" since a universal comment from people playing last time was that they wished they had more time to RP. But it will probably still be a one shot as a self imposed limiter.