View Poll Results: What's your Favorite System?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1e

2 2.78%
  • 2e

2 2.78%
  • 3.5e

10 13.89%
  • d20 (custom rules, etc)

10 13.89%
  • PF

15 20.83%
  • 4e

6 8.33%
  • 5e

27 37.50%
Page 214 of 242 FirstFirst ... 114164204209212213214215216219224 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,280 of 4829

Thread: Tabletop Games Thread

"rule 0"
    What is this, are we back in time of 20 years?
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    Look, mate, I hate ignorant people meddling in shit they don't understand as much as the next sane person, but rule 0 of every tabletop game is that all the rules are just guidelines you can change to your liking. And like hell am I gonna give a single crap about D&D lore unless it's literally in a game I'm playing. Most people who play the game don't care about it at all, and they shouldn't have to.
    Again, it's like playing the Elder Scroll series and getting triggered that a genocidal avenger is generally remembered as being famous, rather than infamous: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pelinal_Whitestrake

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post

And that's why the only response to noobs who complain about being "excluded" is.

I would rather exclude others than let others exclude me.
    Nice strawman bro
    don't quote me on this

Banned
    Blog Entries
    How do you figure? If you're talking about the use of the Cao Cao quote, then that's only because, depending on the context, the definition or implications of the word 負 really can be that broad.

As for my familiarity with D&D, I thought that we had this conversation when discussing whether this portrayal of Kojiro would qualify as a paladin who kills the living, rather than the undead:
    Last edited by LegalLoliLover; August 9th, 2020 at 04:12 PM.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post

And that's why the only response to noobs who complain about being "excluded" is.

I would rather exclude others than let others exclude me.
    I've played with a literal neo-nazi and with people so left-tinted they considered Sabaton "fascists" and I've never encountered an argument this retarded. There's exaggerating for effect, and then there's setting up a scarecrow ten yards downrange and going to town on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Week-old topic, dunno why I bothered...
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Not really any point to continue the drama beyond more drama, no

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    "rule 0"
    What is this, are we back in time of 20 years?
    rule zero reigns supreme
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    also it's far older than 20 years
    don't quote me on this

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    How useful have you guys found the Ultimate Spheres of Power in building characters that don't rely on Vancian spellcasting and such for Pathfinder 1e?

What's wrong with Vancian casting? There are so many ways to get the exact flavour of spellcasting you want (prepared/spontaneous, any casting stat you want, any spell list you want) nowadays, why bother rigging up something new?
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    What's wrong with Vancian casting? There are so many ways to get the exact flavour of spellcasting you want (prepared/spontaneous, any casting stat you want, any spell list you want) nowadays, why bother rigging up something new?
    I think the issue is how D&D 3.5e & Pathfinder both are games that ramp up the wizard massively while the fighter gets left behind even at high levels.

Also, D&D/Pathfinder wizards may not necessarily match the kind of magic we see in popular culture nowadays.
    Last edited by warellis; April 8th, 2021 at 11:19 PM.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    If the goal is just to help martials catch up to casters, I don't think you need to use a different casting system which might not even do that. It would be better, I think, to use the Book of Nine Swords for 3.5, or whatever the PF1 equivalent is called; even better, I think, would be to do that AND restrict the caster classes to classes like Dread Necromancer and Beguiler and others, who are full casters but still have restricted spell lists.

Blog Entries
    The PF equivalent is Path of War... which, frankly, could do with updating the original three Tome of Battle Classes and content.

I haven't played the Spheres system yet, but I've looked over it some and it seems good. It's probably about as close to Nasuverse-style Magecraft and Martial Arts as you're going to get in a D20 system outside of some superhero game like Mutants and Masterminds. It's a little complicated, but not as much as Words of Power, from what I saw, and the Spheres of Might supplement gives Martials the same treatment. Plus, there's supposedly a 5e version in the works.

All in all, I'd say it's a good choice for more "anime" style gamesor freeform or thematic casting systems.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

At that point, why even bother with d20? Just pick up another system that does magic better.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    Because most of those other systems don't have the same kind of support, popularity, homebrew, etc... that you find in the more "mainstream" games. Are there things that do it better? Probably. Are you going to find a group of players interested in it? Maybe, though the likelihood declines the more you want out from the group. But you'll definitely find a group for DnD or PF.

It's why people stick with borked games; they're where the players are.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Broadly, that having specific predetermined effects for everything causes 65% of the Rulebook's contents to be the spell lists and spell descriptions, and so magic very literally dominates the game's mechanical entrails, as far as players are concerned anyway. The complete lists of available spells can slow sessions to halt as you scroll to figure out what people's stuff does. 5e ironically has less of a problem with this because it has less mechanics, so spells aren't allowed to do creative things either.

Also, that it works differently on different levels of play. On low it's alright if maybe a bit too restrictive. The system of that sort is better if it includes metamagic from the get go, like Ritual option in 5e. Past level 7 or so though, it becomes a crazy amount of bookkeeping. If you're a GM there's no way you've actually prepared the enemy spells guys in the encounter have beyond a general idea of what they'll be casting, and chances are you won't bother asking players for the spell list every session either. If you're playing a high level game (you aren't) then you probably don't even do spell lists. Of course that's all talking Wizards, which is the worst example, but the other classes have it simplified enough you might as well use a different system, like the Ki Pool.

Basically, by being a system of flexible slots and effectively power cards without physical power cards, it's inherently not practical for pen and paper. As it turned out, it sucks with keyboard and virtual sheet too, compared to just ticking slots in Baldur's Gate/IWD/PST, which is how it works best. You may call it a videogamey system if you will.

Also, it's probably notable that casting with charisma instead of Int is not 'flavor'. A number is still just a number, it's the player that makes it mean something, and you may opt to have flavor present without an accompanying number. Psychic Phenomena and Perils of the Warp, that's flavor, because it's a result of player decision. Having to reenact a mythological scene in Glorantha in order to get a magical effect matching a myth in present day reality, that's flavor.
    Last edited by Ratman; August 31st, 2020 at 11:59 PM.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    At that point, why even bother with d20? Just pick up another system that does magic better.
    I mean there are d20 systems that don't use vancian casting to begin with.

I've never understood why people act like D&D, PF, or D20 games are completely inseparable from Vancian casting. Vancian casting is like this ultra specific idea that doesn't fit all of the fiction that D&D tries to emulate.

Blog Entries
    It's mostly because it's the default model with the most official support.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Twelveseal View Post
    The PF equivalent is Path of War... which, frankly, could do with updating the original three Tome of Battle Classes and content.

I haven't played the Spheres system yet, but I've looked over it some and it seems good. It's probably about as close to Nasuverse-style Magecraft and Martial Arts as you're going to get in a D20 system outside of some superhero game like Mutants and Masterminds. It's a little complicated, but not as much as Words of Power, from what I saw, and the Spheres of Might supplement gives Martials the same treatment. Plus, there's supposedly a 5e version in the works.

All in all, I'd say it's a good choice for more "anime" style gamesor freeform or thematic casting systems.
    Yeah. Like for example the creator of the Lingchi Warrior archetype, admitted to basing it off of Kiba from Highschool DxD for example.
    Lingchi warriors can create a battlefield filled with weapons they can pull out to use.
    It's an archetype of the Armorist class which would cover those like Shirou/Archer or Erza Scarlet, for example.
    Summon Equipment

An armorist may spend a spell point as a swift action or move action to conjure a weapon, shield, or suit of armor into her hands or directly onto her body, which stays for 1 minute per class level before disappearing.

The armorist must be proficient with the weapon or type of shield or armor to summon it, and in the case of exotic weapons, she must have studied a pre-existing version of the weapon for at least 1 week. This weapon, shield, or suit of armor is masterwork quality, and while antimagic barriers may prevent the armorist from summoning these items, the items themselves are not considered magical creations and so may not be dispelled. Ranged weapons come with 50 pieces of basic ammunition.

When summoning armor, the armorist may also summon the suit directly onto a willing touched target’s body as a standard action. When summoning armor onto her own or another target’s body directly, their current armor disappears in favor of the new armor until the duration is over and the old armor returns. Dismissing a piece of summoned equipment is a free action.

Summoned equipment is always considered masterwork quality and gains a +1 enhancement bonus for every 3 armorist levels the creator possesses, to a maximum of +6 at 18th level. These bonuses may be traded for special abilities according to Table: Bound Equipment. A piece of summoned equipment cannot have higher than a +5 enhancement bonus; enhancement bonuses beyond this amount must be traded for special abilities.
    Bound Equipment

An armorist gains a bond with a specific weapon, shield, or suit of armor that is far greater than with her other summoned equipment. Bound equipment is summoned and treated just like summoned equipment, except it does not cost a spell point to summon, cannot be used by anyone other than the armorist herself (the item’s magic does not function in another’s hands), comes with limitless ammunition, and disappears 1 round after leaving the armorist’s hands. She gains another piece of bound equipment at 5th level, 10th level, 15th level, and 20th level, and may bond implements beginning at 5th level.

Bound equipment is masterwork quality, and gains a +1 enhancement bonus for every odd armorist level possessed. A piece of bound equipment’s enhancement bonus cannot exceed +1, +1 per 3 armorist levels (maximum +5); all enhancement bonus beyond this must be traded for special abilities.

An armorist may give her bound weapon special abilities from Table: Bound Equipment, trading enhancement bonus for other benefits. Bound equipment cannot be enchanted through any other means than gaining armorist levels and must retain at least a +1 enhancement bonus. Bound implements use the rules presented in the Magic Items chapter, granting the armorist enhancement bonuses to her caster level with one sphere, chosen when the implement is created. A piece of bound equipment may be an implement or a weapon/shield/suit of armor, but not both at the same time.

Once a piece of bound equipment has been selected, or once its special abilities have been chosen, they may only be changed if the armorist spends 8 hours (1 day) meditating to dismiss the old piece of bound equipment and create a new piece of bound equipment to take its place.

The armorist’s bound equipment can be damaged and sundered, but always returns to full health the following day.

A bound double-weapon must divide its enhancement bonuses and special abilities between the two ends (for example, a +5 bound quarterstaff could have a +3 bonus on one end and a +2 bonus on the other). Alternatively, the armorist may bind each end of the double weapon as a separate piece of bound equipment, thus granting full bonuses to each half. If one end of the double weapon has no bonuses, it is still considered masterwork.
    Last edited by warellis; September 5th, 2020 at 05:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yuuuup. Among other things.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning