Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6111415161718212666 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord El Melloi II Case Files

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caster View Post
    I don't really see that as a Rin thing given it wasn't a solo effort. Not saying she can't do that eventually but I'm talking about things I've seen both do on their own. But different things appeal to people for different reasons.
    The sword might have been giving her access to the different dimensions, but she's still the one that has to pull in all that magical energy, convert and give it form, and discharge it like an Excaliblast. Unless you're Aoko Aozaki, I don't think there are many modern magi that can claim that kind of scale.

What Luvia does is complex and neat, but yeah, it's not on the sort of scale that would be unknown or impossible to Rin. Rin just would probably have to use more blunt force to do something similar assuming she had the resources. And would probably blow a hole in the ceiling for good measure.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Caster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    I would have used a WoW comparison but I don't play WoW.
    No, I got the comparison fine, just the way it's worded sounds more extreme than my stance was, going further than I would in comparison to them.

And given that the item she used isn't exactly something just anyone can use I find it hard to gauge magical competence through it. Combat sure, but that wasn't the important part to me.

I also haven't said I don't think it's anything that wouldn't be possible for Rin. I just said it's more impressive to me than anything Rin has done so far.

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Rin also did manage to replicate Zelretch's sword on her own after HF. Even if she was only able to do so because she saw a working copy, I have to feel like that's a bit more impressive than failing to steal someone else's workshop.

Not to mention the impromptu heart transplant that she pulled off flawlessly on her first try with zero preparation in the prologue.
    Last edited by TwilightsCall; April 21st, 2016 at 06:52 PM.

Eh, I'm not going to go into it more, agree to disagree. Though I find the heart thing more impressive of the examples given, albeit I didn't get the impression of skill in that area so much, but hard to explain. It's possible my remembrance of the situation isn't entirely accurate as well.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    Rin also did manage to replicate Zelretch's sword on her own after HF. Even if she was only able to do so because she saw a working copy, I have to feel like that's a bit more impressive than failing to steal someone else's workshop.

Not to mention the impromptu heart transplant that she pulled off flawlessly on her first try with zero preparation in the prologue.
    Wasn't that heart creation?

It's not like Rin had another one on hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Wasn't that heart creation?

It's not like Rin had another one on hand.
    it was

"…Reforge the damaged organ and use it as a substitute, and restore the heart in the process, huh? If I succeed, I'll be accepted to the Clock Tower instantly…"
    A pain-filled voice.
    With that, my mind stops fading.
    whatever this is.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Well yeah, but if she created a heart she still would have had to connect it to the body, which I considered a transplant. I didn't add that part because I was in the process of leaving for work, so I was trying to be brief lol

...actually, reading the part You quoted, I suddenly feel like I have no idea what is going on there any more...reforge the heart, ok. Use it as a substitute...for what? THEN restore the heart? Weren't you doing that by reforging it?
    Last edited by TwilightsCall; April 21st, 2016 at 09:34 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    i don't know either.
    time to check the runes.

- - - Updated - - -

破損した臓器を偽造して代用、その間に心臓一つまるまる修復か
    make a fake heart and use it as a sub, while repairing the heart.
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That makes a lot more sense. I guess the substitute was to take Gae Bolg's curse?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That makes a lot more sense. I guess the substitute was to take Gae Bolg's curse?
    lancer didn't use the cursed stab against Shirou that time.

"What do you mean by that, Lancer?"
    "Well. I'm the one that stabbed him, but this is actually the second time I did it. He stayed alive the last time I did for some reason, so I 'pierced' him for sure this time."

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    ^
    idk why but that scene looks hilarious.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm still disappointed the UBW anime removed the part where she did neurosurgery to get Shinji out of the grail

Quote Originally Posted by Caster View Post
    Eh, I'm not going to go into it more, agree to disagree. Though I find the heart thing more impressive of the examples given, albeit I didn't get the impression of skill in that area so much, but hard to explain. It's possible my remembrance of the situation isn't entirely accurate as well.
    I think at this particular stage of their respective training, Luvia has more finesse but Rin has an equal amount of raw ability. So Rin is able to do pretty complicated and incredible things on sheer willpower whereas Luvia's got more training to be delicate in large-scale projects.

But the fact that Rin still made a long-term functioning heart without the benefit of years of "professional" training the way Luvia's had is pretty darn jaw-dropping imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, thank you for the translation, twilight!

Awesome work as always.
    Just one thing.

"I have decided to put an end to this farce. I've also called Mr. Orlocke here. Do you mind if close the door on this incident now?" Her smile was backed by a peerless self-confidence.
    I think either an 'I' or a 'we' should go between the words if and close.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    And this is what happens when you edit something for release on the same day you finish writing it.

Thanks, I'll fix that now

Beautiful chapter. Thanks for your translation!

This cliffhanger is going to kill me now though, I wonder what had Waver done at the end?

Rereading some older stuff again to refresh myself on things, does anyone know what the Orders mentioned in Chapter 2, Part 1 are? Kind of curious given the mention of them possibly being related to the Qabbalah, but I'm not sure what they are.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    I have been slacking at working on this in my free time because I've been working on it while at work instead...

Unfortunately, work is likely to pick up soon so I won't have that freedom for much longer. Guess I'll have to go back to my regularly scheduled work ethic

Chapter 4 Part 3

Chapter 4

Part 3

My master and I immediately hurried to Luvia's room. At first glance, her room seemed to have been scrubbed clean of the presence of angels. It had been so well done that it felt like we had actually left the Castle of Separation.

Immediately upon entering, I blinked in surprise.

"Rosalind, Seigen."

Because the two who had just barely left our company were already here.

"Ah, one of the butlers called us," Rosalind spoke, glancing towards Luvia standing in the center of the room.

Luvia's hair in ringlets looked as if it was spun gold. The deepness of her jewel-like eyes watching us reinforced the mystique of her character. Standing beside her was her Mohican butler, Clown.

"Lord El-Melloi II. I thought you would show up sooner or later."

"And what exactly are you planning here?"

"I have decided to put an end to this farce. I've also called Mr. Orlocke here. Do you mind if I close the door on this incident now?" Her smile was backed by a peerless self-confidence.

According to my master, the Edelfelts didn't gain the title of Hyenas just for collecting dead bodies. They also tended to hover around conflicts to which they had no claim, swooping in and taking the choice bits for themselves when the opportunity arose.

In short, they were naturally adept at sniffing down the best fruit. Not through logic, but through some deeper sense.

"Put an end to it? There's no way you can-"

"Oh, but I can!" Luvia interrupted, cleanly denying my master's words. "I decided to sit back and just watch before, but that has ended in nothing but useless death."

My master stiffened at the thinly veiled jab. Both he and I were painfully aware that those most hurt and angered by Hishiri and Heine's deaths were in the room with us right now.

"Both of them were people our world could not afford to do without. The path of magecraft they pursued may have differed from ours, but a single drop of a magi's blood is as a single tiny jewel. On top of that, a magus of their level is a treasure that cannot be equalled by any earthly hoard. Even if stagnation and stability are the karmic destinies of our world, they were those who would have served as the foundation for overcoming that destiny and reaching beyond it. Am I mistaken?"

Her harsh words and tone coming from such a delicate-seeming body hit us like a slap in the face.

This girl was, beyond a doubt, nobility. Even while solemnly watching the countlessly occurring comedies and tragedies that filled the world, she was never satisfied, still rebelling like a warrior valiantly waving the flag of resistance.

I had heard from my master that, in the past, magi had been kings.

The land itself was important for magecraft, so it was common sense for magi, kings, and other kinds of nobility to attempt to acquire land for themselves. Now, with those sacred grounds held in the iron grip of the Magic Association and other similar organizations, nobility among magi had declined to simply old names carrying on old traditions. Even so, this girl alone demonstrated those virtues of old.

It was faint, but seeing it caused a small pain to well up in my chest.

She was completely ensnared by the past too, so why was she able to march forward so boldly?

Dry laughter rang out from the back of the room. It seemed like Orlocke had finally arrived.

It looked like her anger - and indeed the ritual she had prepared - were endlessly interesting for him.

"Why don't we let her give it a shot? Whether she succeeds or fails, it will still end up as a clue for us, no?"

My master's silence was short. Adjusting his cigar with a finger, he raised his head and spoke.

"And how are you going to do it?"

"Flue and I found a hidden room."

"A hidden room?" My master's brow furrowed at the claim.

"Yes. Thanks to that, we were able to find the foundational formula the entire Castle of Separation was built on. Though confirming the contents and building our own answer to it took a considerable amount of time."

"'Build' an answer?"

With a gentle smile, she opened her hand, revealing a single jewel.

"All the rooms, all the hallways...all the Magic Circuits running through the Castle are now buried in this jewel. It took me almost half a day to finish."

My master's eyes went wide at the realization of what that meant.

"Wait, you don't mean..."

"Precisely." Luvia's face bloomed into a sweet smile. "I've decided to take the Workshop that is the Castle of Separation for myself."

Just hearing her say it aloud left me speechless.

She was like a parasite.

Or maybe closer to the computer viruses I had heard about since coming to London.

Even I, who knew next to nothing about magecraft, could instinctively feel the dreadfulness of those words. A Workshop was something a magus created after years, decades, generations of labour. If a Magic Crest was an artificial organ, then a Workshop was like an artificial world.

It was a method of pure brute force. While my master attempted to break everything down and solve every mystery of the Castle, even if it was as a magus, Luvia had taken on the entire Castle at once in half a day.

It was like Don Quixote, taking up arms against a windmill.

No, in this case the old knight's delusion would have been real. He would be fighting a giant with naught but a sword.

"Once I do this, revealing the culprit, or the curse, or whatever, will be as nothing with my jewels. Is there any simpler method than this?"

"You should know how high of a level this Workshop is. Even if you are an Edelfelt,"

"No."

For the briefest instant, a look of faint fear passed over her features. The instant passed, and all that was left was the burning gaze of a challenger facing down her greatest opponent.

"Behold the skill of the Edelfelt family."

"Luviagelita-"

Before he could stop her, she raised her right hand to her side.

"
    Awaken
    Call
    ."

Her beautiful lips whispered.

The sapphire at the tips of her fingers, held like a knight's salute, began to glow, causing the other jewels to glow along with it. While it gave the impression of lighting the fuse of a bomb, it reminded me of the inside of one of the Royal British Museum's Cabinets of Curiosity as the brilliant, multi-coloured light filled the space around her.

It was a magic circle made of jewels.

As if the activated spell was serving double duty as a barrier of some sort, my master's extended hand was blown back with a noise like a thunderclap.

Smiling in satisfaction, Luvia whispered again.

"
    Awaken
    Call
    ."

The first step was the area around Luvia herself.

The magic circle slowly began to rotate.

The magical energy took the form of a spiral as it span.

From a combination of my master's explanation after the fact and my own intuitions, it seemed like what Luvia was trying to do was like a puzzle. For example, when given the equation '3+4=5' laid out in matches, and you have to make the equation correct by moving only a single match.

It was taking the original foundational formula underlying the Castle of Separation and, using jewels and her own magical energy, making the smallest possible change that would change the entire formula.

Of course, the scope and complexity of the task weren't even comparable to that of the match puzzle.

The scope was the entire Castle of Separation, and the magic circles had to be precise enough that not even an ant could slip through unnoticed.

No matter how many jewels she used as boosters, it was like trying to use a fire hose to make a sculpture a few dozen feet in front of you.

But,

"Call. Connect Green 7 to Red 8. Excite Red 10, and circulate to Blue 4. Blue 6, connect with Blue 7, 9, 11, and Red 5, 6, 25 connect with Green and Red 11. Thou shalt be my guide."

The incantation continued.

The second step was the entire room.

The spiraling magical energy raised its head as if it were a snake.

The jewels already embedded throughout the castle began to respond, and the magical energy suffusing the area began to whirl as if in a dance. Following the movements of the magical energy in the air, the entire Castle began to vibrate, growing to an easily recognizable trembling.

My master looked up at the ceiling.

"...the whole Castle?"

"Whoa whoa, don't tell me you're actually going to pull it off?" Even Flue, who had supposedly helped her, gave a whistle in disbelief.

Even to these men, who had already seen countless Mysteries, this was a scene that was hard to accept. Luviagelita Edelfelt's magecraft was reaching for that impossible place that could only be described in the terms of 'genius.'

Would she make it?

Orlocke, meanwhile, narrowed his eyes without a word.

"
    Awaken, grace!
    Call grace!
    "

The third step immediately expanded to cover the entire castle.

Each glowing light expanded to connect to another, and the lights formed themselves into magic circles. Each of these circles continued to expand further, connecting with other circles, growing into ever larger, more complex forms. Without damaging the magic circles that were already present, she was trying to rewrite them with new meanings.

Every time one was completed, the jewels around Luvia gained a rainbow-coloured light. Already, over eighty percent of them had changed colour, and when they had all finished changing, it would likely signify complete control of the Castle falling into Luvia's hands.

As if the Castle of Separation was accepting its new master, an enormous magic circle span down into the room, approaching Luvia. Even I, who wasn't a magus, could feel the flood of magical energy inundate the room on my skin.

"It is done!" Luvia's eyes sparkled with the thrill of victory.

My master, however, groaned with a very different emotion.

"No...this isn't the kind of reaction you should be getting..."

A single large tremor shook the castle.

At the same time, Luvia's body began to sway and collapse. It wasn't just her, either. Flue, Clown, and even Seigen crouched to the floor, as if trying to restrain their own bodies.

"Orlocke!"

Even the old magus was no exception. With a grunt of surprise, he was torn from his wheelchair and thrown to the ground.

No...

...even I was the same.

Overcome by an illusionary pain in my right hand as if it had been set on fire, it was like every nerve in my body had turned against me. Those nerves which had kept me alive my whole live were cut off from my body, and before I could even think of resisting, my vision rapidly began to dim.

"Gray!"

Even those words seemed to be coming from painfully far away.

Immediately to Luvia's side, a deep darkness welled up in the air. As if to devour the girl who had fainted, the darkness opened its jaws.

"Dammit...!"

The last thing I saw was my master's hand reaching for the breast pocket in his jacket.

And after that, my consciousness snapped off, as my master, Luvia, and I were all were all pulled in to that darkness.
    Thanks for the translation, and wonderful job as always, but I noticed one issue (occurred twice). The proper past tense of "spin" is "spun". You used "span", which is an archaic usage.

Thank you for the translation! People like you keep me motivated to scan things.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's certainly been a while, hasn't it?

I feel a little bad posting a section this small after such a long downtime, but not much I can do about that I suppose. In fact, it would probably be a more satisfying read if you just waited to read this until the next part was out, but I have no delusions of people wanting to wait that long, so here we go anyways.

Chapter 4 Part 4

Chapter 4

Part 4

---Of course, it was in the Castle of Separation.

The scenery before my eyes was that familiar dining table, where all of the magi invited to the castle shared breakfast that first morning. A number of figures were sitting at that table now, knives and forks in hand, laughing happily like they were a part of a shadow-puppet show.

"Ha. If you try and connect the magic circle like this, it won't even last a year before it falls apart. You're magecraft is as sloppy as ever, isn't it?"

The one who spoke, shrugging his shoulders, was Orlocke Caesermund. He wasn't in a wheelchair. Despite the fact he was clearly an elderly man, there was no doubting that it was a younger Orlocke than the one I knew. Looks aside, his manner of speaking was certainly much more playful than what I was used to. Looking at him now, one wouldn't be able to believe the profound wickedness I was used to seeing wrapped around him.

"Is that a problem?"

"Yes, it is. Just like your face."

"Shut up, you deathless old bag."

"---Is that really any way to talk to Mr. Orlocke, dear? He did come all the way out here just to help you." A woman sitting with them spoke.

She was a beautiful woman with curly hair. The simple linen dress she wore suited her perfectly.

"Why thank you, miss."

"Thank you for your help, Mr. Orlocke."

---Something was wrong.
    ---This wasn't my memory at all.
    ---The thing eating away at me was from someone else.

"Ah, so you finally figured it out."

A voice called out. A voice mixed with white noise, enough to hurt the ears.

"That's right. This is the only way. You knew that from the beginning. Why didn't you realize?"

Who is this?

Who is this?

Who is this person?

"Your Magic Crest is now..."

A hand reached out.

And then, with a snap as if a reel of film had been cut, my memory shut off once more.

There was a warm sensation on my face.

Thinking about it, it felt like that warmth was the last thing keeping me secure. Returning the gaze from the dull, weary eyes that were watching me, I replied in a vacant whisper.

"...master?"

"Finally, you're awake," he replied with sigh, pulling back his hand. Fixing my hood back into place, he then smacked me on the forehead.

"Ow-!"

"Keep your hood up. I already told you I don't want to see that face."

"...o-okay." With an apology, I held my hood tightly in place as I sat up.

"I feel like I saw...a dream. A dream about the Castle of Separation."

"Oh? If you of all people saw it, then by all means I'd love to hear about it later. Unfortunately, we're not quite in a position where we can relax like that," he said, taking a look around us. "It seems we're trapped. Probably thanks to some sort of defense mechanism of the Castle."

Finally, I realized.

Everything within my field of vision was stained a thick black. The few meters around us retained the stone floor I was familiar with, but even that was slowly vanishing into the encroaching darkness.

"I created a boundary field at the last second, but in the end we were sucked in by an even bigger one." My master sighed. "It's not quite Spatial Partitioning, but the effect is similar I suppose. The area we were in was shifted ever so slightly towards the Astral Plane. If we had been completely taken in, we probably would have had a difficult time surviving, what with physical bodies and all. It would be similar to trying to survive after being dumped in the ocean."

"Then, we..."

"Since it's not a Spatial Partition, it should be fairly simple to shift us back into the correct plane. All it would take is to punch through with a large amount of magical energy. However..."

"That's unfortunate, isn't it?" A third voice called out.

It was Luvia.

"Is it? As a second-rate magus myself, I was hoping to put my hopes on the Edelfelt Magecraft."

"See for yourself." Luvia raised her right hand.

On her outstretched palm were arrayed a number of jewels. Each of them held a somber darkness that even I could tell with a single glance meant they were completely empty of magical energy. As if frustrated, Luvia tossed the darkned gems to the floor.

"The result of that impact from before. My Magic Crest isn't functioning yet."

"Your Magic Crest?" As my master repeated back her words, Luvia averted her eyes as if embarrassed.

"I tried to fight back with my jewels and magecraft, but not even my Gandr had any effect on that darkness. I lost a number of jewels trying, too." Her face twisted in frustration.

She wasn't shaking because she was afraid for her life. It was simply her soul itself rejecting the shame she had earned from her failure. It seemed this girl was nobility right down to the bone.

"...why did you save me?" she muttered, lips quivering at the humiliation she couldn't bear.

"Who knows?"

"The one who failed was me and me alone. How far must you insult me..."

Watching Luvia get worked up with rage, my master sighed and raised his index finger.

Then,

"I feel the same way you do," my master spoke sullenly. "You lamented Heine Istari's death earlier, didn't you? I felt the same way. The loss...the waste of a talent like his is too much. Do you have any complaints about an answer like that?"

"You think that kind of an excuse will pass?"

"If we're talking about pure talent, then I could count on one hand the number of magi I've met who might be able to surpass you. If you believe there are people who's talent this world cannot do without, then surely you belong on that list yourself?"

Luvia's mouth opened as if she wanted to say something, but in the end she just dropped her shoulders. "...I guess I can't argue with that."

Her face was like one who had finally been released from some sort of ghostly possession. Taking out a new jewel, she scrutinized it carefully on her palm.

"With the jewels I have left, I shall create a simple magic circle. We should be able to escape using that."

"I guess that will take a little time, won't it? In that case, I'll take a short nap. Not like I can do anything to help anyways."

"...excuse me?"

"I'll leave the rest to you, then."

With that, my master dropped down to sit cross-legged and closed his eyes. In a matter of seconds, his breathing fell into the steady rhythm of sleep.

Sure, meditation and sleep management were fundamental skills for magi, but why did he have to be so good at only these incredibly basic abilities? Now alone with a girl who seemed likely to explode at any instant, I could do nothing more than tremble in fear.

Meanwhile, in the guest room, another incident was occurring.

"...Lady Luvia..."

Luvia's faithful servant Clown lay on the carpet, gripping it tightly in an attempt to prevent his consciousness from slipping away.

He also had noticed that his Magic Crest had ceased to function. Clown himself was from a family that had supported the Edelfelts for generations, and as such had succeeded the family's Magic Crest as normal. However, with the loss of function in his Magic Crest, the nerves that served it were also shutting down, and threatened to take his consciousness with them.

Though his appearance of having feinted was somewhat of an act, he still couldn't move his body. Despite the current crisis, the stopped nerves in his body refused to carry any signals from his brain. His expertly tempered body and magecraft were of no use to him in this situation where his body refused to move. Even as his heart shivered with chagrin, his faintly remaining consciousness continued to struggle to mobilize his body, even if only one finger at a time.

In the midst of the lingering effects of the previous shockwave, a single shadow moved.

"What...was..."

Rosalind Istari hesitantly turned, looking around the room. If that was the case, then the reason they couldn't move...

(...the Magic Crests?)

If that impact had been targeting those with Magic Crests, then it was no wonder that Rosalind hadn't been affected, seeing as she didn't possess one.

But that didn't mean she was safe.

The glass window of the guest room shattered. From his position on the floor, Clown could see the shadow that entered into the room.

As if cloaked in some sort of magecraft, even in broad daylight its form was hidden in darkness. With frightening speed, the beast approached on all fours.

"...Ashbourne's...beast...!"

Paralyzed as he was, Clown wasn't able to say anything further.