Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 105055585960616265 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1388

Thread: Lord El Melloi II Case Files

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotelias View Post
    Spoiler:

I'll make an epub for Volume 3 in the coming days.
    Can you also make a PDF of Volume 3 as well?

Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Can you also make a PDF of Volume 3 as well?
    Sorry but I don't use PDF's and I don't know how to make them.

Finished and uploaded Vol 3 epub.

Last edited by Dotelias; January 29th, 2020 at 11:30 AM.

Mesopotamia's King Gilgamesh_maximaster's Avatar
    Mesopotamia's Throne(Viņa del mar, chile)
    YOu can download de Epub and use a Online to transform to a PDF file I did that.

Wow this time the translation was really fast, thanks

Holy shit this translation was fast. Is there a reason for such speed now?

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It all goes a lot faster when you just dump everything into Google Translate.

I've felt for a while now that if I sat down and seriously tried, I could translate a volume in a month. Since I had nothing better to do with my time, I challenged myself to do so, and I guess it looks like I succeeded.

Anyways, Chapter 3.

Chapter 3 Part 1

Chapter 3

Part 1

The world looked like bubbles.

Peoples, things, nothing ever changed. Masses of bubbles piled up and up, and somehow made themselves into a shape like that. That was the way his eyes saw the world. Burst as they disappeared, born as they burst, in the end the world as a whole never changed.

In some sense, maybe that was eternity.

If the world is just a collection of transient bubbles, that chain of transience is like to infinity. No matter how you split it apart, no matter how thin it grew, it never disappeared.
    The Planck Time
    An instant
    was a lifetime, and an equal number of universes burst and disappeared.

So.

He didn't know when it started.

But, since they were just bubbles anyway, you could pop them just by touching them. You could split them off just by tracing the boundaries between them. Large or small had no relevance. Living or not had even less. In those eyes, they had no meaning at all.

He only learned of the name Mystic Eyes much later.

Yes.

They must have been at the very end of what could be considered Mystic Eyes.

In short, Mystic Eyes with the rank of Rainbow-

Olgamarie's face had long since lost its colour.

With trembling fingers, she reached out to the corpse's coat. Ignoring the blood sticking to her hands, she shook the headless body as she spoke.

"...Trisha?"

Once more, she tried.

"Trisha? Trisha? This is a joke, right? Why...?"

As that last word came out, her voice choked.

A single choked sob. As if a broken lung was doing it's best to perform at least the bare minimum necessary.

"...you're always so full of yourself. Whenever I can't solve a problem, you're always to happy to encourage me. So why, why are you sleeping in a place like this?! Come on, yell at someone like you always do!"

"Miss Olgamarie..."

Without thinking, I started speaking.

But when she turned to me, her expression held a violent hatred.

"You people did this, didn't you?!" she screamed.

Taken aback by the sudden attack, we couldn't even string together two words in answer.

"What is wrong with you?! Give back Trisha!"

Her bitter cries echoed within the train car.

Even if she was the daughter of a Lord, she was only about eleven years old. Faced with a scene like this, it was hard to imagine anyone would be able to keep their cool. Even more so if it was someone who had been a teacher to you since you were young.

But.

The words that followed caused the tension in the room to explode.

"Y-you! It was you, wasn't it?! From the Church!" she screamed, facing the silent old man - Karabo Frampton.

A number of people turned to look at him,

"...sorry, but it wasn't," he shook his head slowly.

He then asked for something else.

"Would you allow me to perform an autopsy?"

"Autopsy?"

"Yes. It's not my specialty, but these hands are well used to death. I may be able to find something out. Is that acceptable, Mr. Conductor?" he asked the conductor, who had arrived to the scene shortly after us.

Even witnessing this scene, the bone-thin conductor's expression was unchanging. Did that mean events like this were common on the Rail Zeppelin? Was it so normal to kill your rivals even before the auction had started here?

Taking a look at the silver pocket watch he pulled from his chest pocket, he gave a small nod.

"...I do not mind. But the room will need cleaning. Taking into account our scheduled time of departure, I would ask you finish within the hour."

He said it as if it was obvious. With an earnestness that made no room for doubting his ability as a first class staff member, he spoke as if nothing more than food had been spilled.

Maybe that's why I found the girl's response so relieving.

"What is wrong with you?!

Olgamarie stretched out her hand, and an invisible something shot out.

A magical bullet. A pure bundle of magical energy - even to a complete novice like me, I could tell it had a much higher density than the one Reines had fired earlier. Even in its simplicity, I couldn't help but feel its power was appropriate for a future Lord.

In an instant, the blade in Karabo's hand deflected the bolt.

With a handle that was too short to call a sword, I was informed later by my master that it was something commonly referred to as a Black Key, a tool that had become popular with a number of Executors of the Holy Church.

(...but...)

I didn't even notice him pulling out that weapon. I felt like if he wanted to, he could stab someone straight through the heart, all while having a friendly conversation with them. Without even understanding why their chest hurt, they would be dead.

"Y-you-!"

"Apologies."

The old man's hand flicked to the side.

As the handle of the Black Key struck lightly against the side of her head, Olgamarie collapsed unconscious. Grabbing her as she fell, he gently laid her out on a sofa outside of the growing bloodstain.

"Could I ask you to look after her? I imagine it will be quite a shock to her if she wakes up in this room again. If possible, I'd like her taken to the lobby," he said, looking our way.

"Ah, right! I'll take care of it!"

As I stood still unmoving in shock, Caules volunteered. Even in this situation, he was still unexpectedly calm. Was the time when his sister gave up magecraft so difficult for him? He had said that his own family had been trying to kill him. That experienced must have tempered his mind well.

As Caules took the unconscious girl from the room, Karabo began inspecting around the body. Soon after, another person entered the car.

"Another incident like this?" she said from the entrance.

"You seem to attract these scuffles between magi a lot, don't you?"

"You're one to talk," my master said, turning to face her.

Without even turning to see, it seemed he could tell it was Hishiri Adashino.

"I wasn't in the mood, so I didn't leave the train when we stopped earlier, but now it seems I'm missing an alibi, aren't I?"

"An alibi means nothing for a magi in the first place. You of all people should be well aware of that."

"No problem then, I guess," she said with a forced laugh.

Hishiri, too, showed no sign of discomfort at the sight of the corpse. Maybe it was me that was strange. Whether it was at my old home, or in Adra or Iselma, I had witnessed all sorts of bizarre incidents. Maybe it was me who was strange for getting paralyzed by fear like this.

...at any rate, I didn't want to think about it now.

As I hung my head, trying to distract myself from the swirling nausea in my stomach, the conversation continued.

"...time of death must be within the past ten or twenty minutes. I believe we can accept cause of death is removal of the head. There are no signs of struggle, so the death must have been instant." Karabo explained.

In the outside world, they would have started with taking pictures of the scene, but it seemed that was unnecessary. After all, detailed records could be made directly using Magic Circuits, and the evidence used by modern science could easily be fabricated by a magus, so there was little trust in such strategies.

"...but why did the culprit take the head? Are they intending to use it as some sort of catalyst?"

"It appears she had Mystic Eyes of Foresight."

"Oh?" The wrinkles on the old man's face deepened.

Taking another look at the body, my master continued.

"I wonder if the culprit took the entire head for the sake of retrieving the eyes from them."

I felt a shiver run through me.

With just that, my master's terrifying thoughts punched through. It was just too magus-like. It was just too appropriate for something happening on the Rail Zeppelin.

Whydunnit.

"The whole head, just to get at the eyes," Karabo said, stroking his chin.

"Is such a thing possible? Removing the eyes from the head after removing it from the body."

"Perhaps we should ask the staff of the Rail Zeppelin," my master said, turning to face the other staff member present behind him - the blindfolded auctioneer, Leandra.

With a small nod in greeting, she confirmed my master's words.

"If using the same techniques that we do, if the head is well preserved, removing the Mystic Eyes would be simple," she explained, her voice cold.

"And to be clear, even outside the Rail Zeppelin, Mystic Eye transplants are not impossible. Though we would expect a striking difference in the success rate."

Was that last comment just the pride of a family specialized in Mystic Eyes?

In response to her statement, my master made his own declaration.

"In that case, I would like to continue the autopsy. And I would also like to discuss something with you, Mr. Karabo."

The remaining magi left without much complaint.

It seemed to them, it was nothing more than a simple servant being killed.

Perhaps they also felt it was to their advantage that one of their potential competitors at the auction had been removed. I felt a strange sensation, totally unlike that of the previous incidents. Mixed together with the scent of blood permeating the room, my unease continued to grow.

I pressed a hand tightly to my chest.

"First, may I ask you something?" my master said to the older man.

Kneeling on the carpet, he had his usual magnifying glass out as he inspected various parts of the scene. Pouring various substances on the bloodstains and taking memos of their reactions, he seemed more like a detective from a century prior than a magus. Seeing him like that, for some reason, helped me to calm down a little.

Sitting on a chair across from him, Karabo responded.

"What would that be?"

"Do you not hate magi?"

The Holy Church and the Magic Association were always in perpetual conflict. That wasn't just because of some power struggle, or historical disagreement, but because of a fundamental ideological difference. An uncrossable divide between those who attempted to conceal and protect Mystery, and those who sought to deny and destroy the Mystery of all those outside themselves.

The old man clicked his tongue.

"Yes. If I were honest, I would love nothing more than to offer up a prayer for your salvation, and send the lot of you on your way to Purgatory."

Perhaps the only priest-like thing about what he said was the mention of Purgatory.

Because that was the place where those who couldn't enter Heaven would have their souls purified. Though it was a place of suffering, it wasn't a place like Hell, where true sinners were sent.

"But that is a different matter. These Black Keys were not made to slay children mourning over their dead companions."

Though brief, I felt a deep conviction to his words.

Chewing over those words, my master slowly spoke again.

"Karabo Frampton. Do you possess a receptive type of Mystic Eyes?"

The old man was quiet for a time.

Slowly lifting his gaze, his voice sounded like the scraping of rusted iron.

"...why do you ask?"

"Thinking of your age, it seems more likely you would come here to sell Mystic Eyes, rather than buy them. Besides, the Holy Church isn't generally interested in any magecraft beyond the Baptismal Rites. I wondered if the reason you volunteered to do the autopsy was because you had Mystic Eyes that would help in some way."

That's right. Yvette had said something similar. Though my master had arrived to that conversation after Yvette's explanation was done, it seemed he had come to the same conclusion.

After another pause,

"...it appears I can't hide it, Lord," he whispered, his voice heavy.

Tracing a finger over the scar on his brow, he continued.

"My eyes are Mystic Eyes of Hindsight."

"Hindsight."

The opposite of Foresight.

I wondered if these were what Olgamarie had meant by Rainbow ranked Mystic Eyes.

"Yes. They aren't all that impressive. Perhaps they would reach the rank of a Noble Colour, as you magi put it, but it certainly would fall short of the Gold rank. But, let's see...this young girl did your hair this morning, didn't she?"

"...ah, yes..."

"You seem quite used to it. Even though the Lord here asked for five more minutes, you just propped him up on Caules and kept going. Hm, it seems you were investigating something, but it's not related to this incident."

For a moment, I held my breath.

No doubt he was referring to our investigation over the stolen relic.

Even though the exchange between my master and I was something I had already mostly forgotten, the fact he could see that much confirmed the authenticity of those Mystic Eyes.

"That's about what I can see. Unfortunately, they are not so useful as to be able to see something of any time or place that I wish."

"So basically, the Eyes are in more control than you are. Is that correct?"

"I can control their activation to a degree. And they are more often drawn to times where magecraft and Mystery are thick, so they have their uses. But at my age, they seem to be getting pulled around a lot more than usual. My intention, as I mentioned to the auctioneer, was to sell them. I believe you'll find them in the catalogue tomorrow."

In short, Yvette had been right. As expected of a regular of the Rail Zeppelin.

His hands stopped, as if he was thinking something over, my master finally continued.

"Then, did you see the culprit?"

"...no, I didn't," he confessed.

"You can't?"

"Perhaps they had some kind of protection against clairvoyance. I can see up until the point she sat down on this chair, but the time immediately before and after her head was removed is unclear."

After another pause, my master spoke again.

"In that case, they may have had some protection against Trisha Fellows as well."

"...what?"

The old man's eyes widened.

In the middle of the bloodstained room, my master's voice resounded gently.

"If she had seen it coming, she likely would have taken some measures against it. At the very least, she should have mentioned something to her master, Olgamarie. In short, her death and the culprit were guarded against Foresight and Hindsight - they couldn't be seen from the past, or the future."

Karabo went silent.

My master whispered at last, as if uttering his conclusion.

"It's like they are a person invisible to time."

Though it sounded rather poetic, it seemed to fit the situation. Invisible from both the past and the future, her death was something that existed only in the present moment of its occurrence.

"...but of course, you have no evidence to support that I am telling the truth. My whole spiel about Mystic Eyes of Hindsight could be entirely false. Even that story of what you did this morning could have been something I heard from someone else."

"True," my master nodded. "But for someone like you, who is trying to protect someone...I want to trust you."

For a moment, the old man was at a loss for words.

He then slowly shook his head.

"Never would have expected that from a Lord of the Clock Tower."

"I'm not all that experienced, but I have faith in my ability to gauge people. Above all, Mystic Eyes are not the result of some spell, but of the body's own nature. They are the oldest magecraft known to humans, deriving from neither ritual nor study, yet nonetheless continue to shake up the brain. If that's the case, that should also be reflected in the way someone lives."

"...have you met someone with Mystic Eyes before?"

"I spoke to Trisha while she was still alive. She told me, having Mystic Eyes means being bound by them."

For a moment, he glanced at the headless body.

"But that's not all. As a Lord, of course I've met any number of magi with Mystic Eyes...its something they always take very seriously."

At the last part, he gave a bitter smile.

It was the first time I had seen the otherwise entirely formal old man smile.

"My Mystic Eyes of Hindsight are much more violent things," he said.

"For example, using them is like extracting my brain, and throwing it in a vat with some black and white film. Even without eyeballs, they always aggressively take in whatever information they can. Maybe that's it. Like a feeling of the characters of a film being transferred. Like there are two versions of myself existing at once - the one receiving all the information from that point of view, and another looking at the film from the outside. Maybe it doesn't make any sense, but that's how it feels.

Humans are captivated by whatever they see. The brain is designed to not be able to focus on two things at once, after all. Even if I exist in both the past and present, I can only see one thing at a time. Another way of putting it is, if you are looking at the past, you can't live in the present. Ever since I became aware of these eyes, I've never once been able to do that."

Those words struck me hard.

Trisha had said something similar. That they see a different world from that of ordinary people. I wondered if people who possessed receptive Mystic Eyes were destined for a fate like that.

Just like, for example, since ten years ago, I was doomed to live in a body that wasn't my own.

Karabo turned to face the entrance.

A moment later, Caules opened the door.

"Professor. Olgamarie is awake."

"...anyways, I've done what I can," the old man turned to leave.

"Please give my regards to the Animusphere girl."

So saying, Karabo left the scene.

Chapter 3 Part 2

Chapter 3

Part 2

A quiet stillness lay over the lobby car.

It looked entirely untouched since the time we were last there, except that the fruit had been replenished. Apparently the staff of the Lobby were permanently stationed there, as even now they were at Olgamarie's side, serving her tea. At a nod from my master as he entered the room, they departed.

Once they had left, we were alone in the room with Olgamarie.

Though Caules looked particularly uncomfortable taking care of her, Olgamarie herself was the first to speak.

"...it's nothing," she said with a snort.

Sitting on the sofa, she lifted her arms as if stretching.

"Hmph. This is the Rail Zeppelin, I guess. I had expected this kind of thing to happen."

She was obviously faking it. That was easy enough to see from the faint tremble in her knees, and her bloodshot eyes. Even as a daughter of a Lord of the Clock Tower, there was no way she was used to being so suddenly alone.

(...Reines, too...)

I wondered if Reines had also had a similar experience. Apparently, until she had managed to consolidate control over the El-Melloi faction, she had to carry around her own emergency rations in constant fear of being poisoned. Even if that were the case though, it's not like it would help Olgamarie here at all.

My master continued to speak in his usual, composed voice.

"Even so, if you hope to return from this auction with the results you wanted, you should rest a little more. I asked the staff, and apparently they've prepared another room for you somewhere else."

"I don't need it. They'll clean it up, right?"

She firmly shook her head.

Did that mean she would sleep in a room tonight where her attendant since so long ago was killed? Would she be able to sleep at all?

"In the first place, this is all just a ruse to earn a favour from Animusphere, right? Well, as a fellow Aristocrat, I can't exactly say I'm ungrateful," she spoke quickly, glaring at my master.

My master, however, just shook his head.

"No, that's not my intention at all. Call it a whim if you like. Besides, I can't imagine the Clock Tower taking any incident aboard the Rail Zeppelin very seriously."

"Are you actually a Lord?"

Her question was sharp, heavy with anger. 

"You should be more than happy to take advantage of this situation. No matter how much the Animusphere family holes themselves away up in their mountain and stays out of politics, a Lord is still a Lord. As the dead last in rank among the Twelve Families, shouldn't you be scrabbling for every favour you can get?"

"I appreciate your advice," he replied with a polite bow. There was no air of sarcasm about it. As if seriously taking her words into consideration, he continued slowly. "But this is something of a personal principle of mine."

"Principle?"

"Back when I was still inexperienced, there was someone who told me that that inexperience itself was a sign of the ability to rule. That because I always yearned for that which was beyond me, I was able to keep struggling. That belief that 'Glory Lies Beyond the Horizon' was a foundational part of his lifestyle, so he was always saying stupid things like that."

Taking an apple from a nearby table, he lifted it up.

For some reason, that apple looked to me like a globe. Without knowing the Earth itself was round, the kings of old always pursued what lay in the distance. Without realizing they were just going around in circles, they truly believed that the value of a person's life was in how far they could go.

It made me think of an Olympic Long-jumper for some reason.

Running as hard as they could, exhausting everything they had in the process, to soar through the sky in those last few moments. And the value of their life would be found in where they landed.

"Someday, whether I liked it or not, I would find my own course. That's what he told me. For that reason, the time would surely come when I would have to fight for it. So, throwing away the life of a person who has yet to find their own course...to me, that's unforgivable. That belief is something much more important to me than the power games of the Clock Tower."

"...a sign of the ability to rule?"

Staring fixedly at him, Olgamarie echoed back his words.

"You were told something like that in the Holy Grail War? Was that by the Servant you summoned?"

"Yes."

"How idiotic," she spat back.

"A Servant is just a fake copy of a Heroic Spirit. Like a shadow erased in an instant. Sure, you can argue that they were important figures that carved their names into history, but a magus that can be so easily influenced by them is getting things backwards."

"What...!"

I couldn't help but protest. Those memories of my master were something I couldn't let be violated. No one had the right to call them idiotic.

But,

"Maybe so," my master said with a smile, putting the apple back on the table. As if to say what was important lay within his heart, and that alone was good enough. "For now, I'll tell the staff you plan to change rooms. Thankfully, I believe the room next to ours is empty. If there's anything you need, please feel free to ask us. Caules."

"Uh, right! Umm...what is it?"

Caules jumped slightly at suddenly being called on..

"Would you mind keeping her company until she feels like returning to her room?"

"Of course. I couldn't just leave her alone in a situation like this."

As Caules nodded in consent, Olgamarie bared her teeth as if to protest. But as if recognizing no protest she gave now would be listened to, she looked away, biting her thumbnail in frustration.

My master then turned to leave, and I followed him back to the passenger car.

Behind us,

"What a weirdo,"

I heard her voice.

Though she sounded angry, at the same time there was an air of sadness to her voice.

"...what a weirdo..."

After the incident, the train was strangely quiet.

Most of the invitees locked themselves in their room, making preparations for their own defence. Because of the way magi worked, they were typically more skilled at defense than offense, so in the off-chance that the killings were going to continue, they would be better served by retreating to their own rooms and fortifying their positions there.

So it wasn't like everyone was just hiding scared in their rooms.

One of them was Jeanmario Spinerra, checking himself in a mirror. Brushing the dust from his felt hat, tightening his necktie, straightening the wrinkles in his suit. All of this he did in good spirits, humming a tune.

The reason for his care was soon apparent.

Slowly, the door to his room swung open.

"Good afternoon."

"Ah, good! I was starting to get flustered, worrying over whether you were still coming!"

"Jeanmario Spinerra," Hishiri Adashino spoke his name.

"Earlier, you said you had a clue as to the incident earlier, correct?"

"Ah, yes! Yes!" he clapped his hands together.

"But no need to rush! First, would you like a glass of wine? As expected of the Rail Zeppelin, the vintage provided is top notch. I've always wanted to give this Margaux a try. It's a rare chance to meet in a place like this, so why don't we enjoy ourselves for a bit?"

"Well then, I'll be on my way."

"Wait! Don't be so hasty!"

In response to Jeanmario's exaggerated protests, Hishiri's smile was unmoving. No matter how refined his ability to push through situations was by the media, in the face of her absolute refusal to negotiate, there was little he could do but capitulate.

"Fine, fine, I get it! Let's talk then!" he lifted his hands.

Pouring the red wine into a glass for himself only, he whispered as the drink gently swirled.

"What if I told you, I had seen that way of killing before?"

For a moment, Hishiri's eyes narrowed.

"Could you give me a brief summary?"

"About seven years ago, it became a rather popular talking point. A serial killer that never took anything of value, only the victims' heads."

It seemed every bit a crime for the crime's sake.

With a small frown, Hishiri asked the most obvious question.

"If such an incident occurred, I couldn't imagine the media letting it go."

"Well, that would be because of the Clock Tower's Information Control," he said with a shrug.

"Though perhaps, as they'd say in the East, I'm lecturing the Buddha here? Of course, the influence the Faculty of Law has on the public face of society is enormous. The fact they were interested at all in Information Control in this incident leaves one to believe it is related to Mystery, does it not? That Mystery must be concealed, after all. That's the first, unwavering principle of the Clock Tower. If that was an incident tied up in Mystery back then, wouldn't it make sense that it's closely related to what we saw today?"

"-so you think that serial killer from seven years ago is here, on the Rail Zeppelin?" Hishiri said, her voice cold.

Something like that was barely more than an urban legend. The fact they just happened to show up on the same train sounded like the script to some awful B grade horror movie. But in the same way, wasn't the Rail Zeppelin, and even magi themselves, just a fairy tale as well?

"I figured if anyone, you might know something about it. The Faculty of Law is also called the First Principle Enforcement Division, right?"

A sharp light shone from Jeanmario's eyes.

But Hishiri shook her head without a moment's hesitation.

"Unfortunately, seven years ago was before I joined the Faculty of Law. I don't know what you think of us, but we aren't so lax as to let people unrelated to a case browse its files."

"Well, that's unfortunate," Jeanmario said, looking up at the ceiling.

Without moving his gaze, he took a sip from his wine glass before continuing.

"Let me be frank with you. The one who took the biggest beating from that drive to hide information was an announcer I knew well. I was hoping you'd be able to tell me all about what had happened back then."

"To what end? It can't just be curiosity," she struck straight to the heart. Maybe that was typical of the Faculty of Law. As one responsible for keeping magi in check by limiting information, any unrelated information was totally unnecessary.

"Hahaha, maybe about thirty percent curiosity."

That's why Jeanmario, despite his flippant manner, was straight with his words.

"Television, you know, is unexpectedly fun. It's good money, too. We're talking ten thousand dollars for a single zombie. My family is only second rate when it comes to magecraft, but thanks to the media, we've been able to obtain any number of Talismans and catalysts without ever having to worry about the cost. I owe them a great debt."

His eyes seemed to moisten, like he was watching a dream.

With a tilt from his hand, he allowed a single thread of red wine to spill out from his glass over his own wrist. From his sleeve, a shadow reached out to claim the dripping wine.

Spiders.

Swarming over his hands were countless little spiders.

But Hishiri showed no signs of being disturbed. It seemed she was more than comfortable with familiars like that. Those who used Black Magic to turn insects or small animals into familiars were all too common. Jeanmario must have just been another one of those.

"But, it's okay," he said. Crawling out from his sleeve, the spiders didn't let a single drop of wine stain the sleeve of his suit.

"I want to be a magus," he confessed.

"The reason I've gathered so many accomplishments on television and in society at large is because it's something other magi would be unlikely to do. If someone with the same talent does the same thing, the results will all be the same too, right? In that case, it's best to use what you've got to the best of your ability."

His way of thinking was similar to a line of thought common in the New Agers. Against magi who relied on the Magic Circuits and Magic Crests built up by their ancestors, a magus of middling talents couldn't hope to reach very far. In that case, if the old families were going to remain set in their ways, there was an advantage to be gained by doing something new - like appealing to modern science, or the media.

Of course, there was no certainty in that.

After all, even the head of Archelot, one of the twelve Lords, was famous among those who were into the modern trends. And like they discussed before, the Faculty of Law had plenty of influence through royalty and governmental bodies to manage the media.

With that preamble, Jeanmario swirled the wine in his glass once more before finishing it.

"Create a connection with the Faculty of Law, in preparation for the debut of Gold, or even Jewel rank Mystic Eyes. It's a rather perfect plan, don't you think?"

"Not a bad one,"

Finally in a quiet voice, Hishiri replied.

And then, as if a con artist before the easiest mark, a wide smile rose to his face.

"So how about it? Shall we work together for this auction?"

Chapter 3 Part 3

Chapter 3

Part 3

Within the misty forest, I could see the sky beyond the fog was a deep red.

The colour of twilight. Passing through the gaps in the branches and trees, the evening light cutting through the fog brought to mind the similar colour of blood I had seen a few hours earlier. Holding my hands to my chest, I felt the pounding of my own heart help to draw me a little bit closer to reality.

Caules was still with Olgamarie.

My master and I had come alone to the deck of the train's final car.

"This is where they wanted to meet us?" I said, looking around.

Behind the locomotive of the Rail Zeppelin were two more cars, followed by the Dining Car and the Lobby. After that were five guest cars, with the end of the train consisting of two more freight cars.

We decided to pass through the freight cars as well.

The cars themselves were mostly empty, only housing a few wooden boxes and bags. Compared to the other cars, it was surprisingly plain, but that was probably because guests weren't supposed to enter them in the first place. Or perhaps the Manager of the Rail Zeppelin just felt like adding a section that seemed more third-class.

This was the place the letter indicated.

Standing on the deck, the cool breeze washed over us as my master watched the tracks behind us disappear into the distance. At this point, there was no impression that anyone was coming to meet us. Though keeping my attention focused on the surroundings, I quietly spoke again.

"Will Olgamarie be okay?"

"Murder is a common occurrence within the Clock Tower. Even more so if you are associated with the Lords. But even then, I doubted she expected fate to come for her like this," he said, his voice bitter.

"Even if we can give her the time she needs, whether she processes it well comes down to her."

Most magi hearing my master talk like that would probably think him too soft.

Just like Olgamarie said, this was a prime opportunity to rack up debts. The risk wasn't particularly large, but the price one would pay for that sense of security couldn't be underestimated. My master must have understood that, so the reason why he didn't take advantage of it...though he said it was an issue of principles, I felt like it was connected to something much deeper than that.

My master was one who well understood the ethics and morals of both magi and ordinary people.

Holding both of those ethical standards and ideals, he always sniffed out the culprit, resolving the case.

But of course, my master had his own rules that he followed. Whydunnit. Why did the incident occur. Probably, the core of his personality had been formed in the Fourth Holy Grail War.

But.

I felt like there had to be something more to it.

I felt like the rules he operated under, his own whydunnit, had a depth that I had yet to understand. Though if I had to explain it out loud, I couldn't give any more than that vague summary.

"...with this, I guess we can't escape outside," my master suddenly muttered.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm talking about this place," he said, pointing at the mist-clad forest around us.

"It was the same when we stopped before. Within this fog is like a different world. Both getting out of it and infiltrating into it would be rather difficult. Trying to board the train or get off of it outside of the ordinary times permitted for proper guests would be a challenge even for a magus."

"You mean, we wouldn't be able to escape even if we jumped off flew away?"

"I wouldn't say it's impossible. But flying away as a single person is already difficult on its own."

At my master's words, my brow furrowed slightly.

Though I wasn't a magus, I still took lectures at the Clock Tower. One particular memory of those lectures stood out.

"...but, isn't something like floating through the air simple enough? They teach it in Basic Fundamentals, after all."

"Hmm. Your lecture was with Professor Craig, right? He must have left something out, thinking it was obvious enough it didn't need repeating. Certainly, the spell itself is simple enough. That presumes a constant flow of magical energy though."

"Magical energy?"

"If you wanted to suspend a small stone, for instance, that spell would work fine. But, as the size and mass of the object increases, the amount of magical energy required increases exponentially. Floating something like a human body would be a much different task. Of course there are exceptions out there, but in general it's pretty uncommon in magecraft."

"Exceptions?"

My master nodded.

"Of course, you must have heard of witches flying around on brooms, right? That stems from an old form of Magic Foundation, a kind of Black Magic. By rubbing a witch's ointment on someone, you could make it so a person's feet would never reach the ground."

A Foundation is usually engraved into the land itself by the faith and logic of the people.

Within that territory, certain kinds of magecraft would become more powerful, or possibly weaker. I remembered learning that in my lectures.

"So, umm, that means a female magus would be able to fly?"

"In a way. But even in that situation, keeping one's mind clear while doing so is a challenge. After all, a witch's ointment is a kind of narcotic. I'm not sure about under normal circumstances, but trying an extended flight in this kind of closed world would be effectively suicide."

"...I see. That's why it's impossible here..."

To escape from this fog, one would likely have to go a considerable distance.

I was starting to understand what my master was saying. It was like I also heard in my lectures at the Clock Tower. Even if magecraft is omnipotent, the people using it are still limited.

"There are Mystic Codes that allow floating like that for extremely limited amounts of time. And there are low level spirits that could be summoned to help one glide. But in the end, long distance flight is something that's basically impossible in the modern era. If you try to push it anyways, it would take the equivalent magical energy of a Brand-level magus using the entire supply of their own territory to sustain it. And even if you attempt to follow a leyline as you do it, they aren't built in a way that is easy for people to draw energy from. It isn't reasonable to try and draw that much magical energy out of them on the fly."

...well, that's why things like Touko Travel are considered cheating, he said with a mutter. His lack of forthcoming explanation must have been because there was no need to discuss it here. With such a broad range of things that magecraft was capable of, just flooding me with that information would do little more than make my head spin.

With a bitter smile at my master's kind restraint, I looked up at the sky.

"...it seems the clouds are moving in."

Though it was difficult to see through the mist, the sky above was filling with dark clouds.

The bright red sky from before was being dyed black. The change in colour didn't help the memories of blood. Though it was certainly a bright colour while within the human body, once it was spilled, the oxygen in the air quickly began to change the blood to black. As if the fragments of remaining life were melting away, the bright red sky gradually turned dark.

-no way, I felt like saying.

As I was just looking casually at the scenery going by, a light met my eyes.

"...what, is...?"

"Gray?"

"Master, something is coming...!"

Likely, if one wasn't on the rearmost car of the train, they wouldn't notice it.

It was still far away. I couldn't see it well from where we were. As I looked around for a better vantage point, a roaring sound filled the air.

"-lightning?!"

There was no way natural lightning could appear so suddenly.

I remembered Atram Galiasta's Weather Manipulation that I witnessed at Iselma. But even his magecraft took dozens of people working for a long time to prepare, and all it did was create slightly better conditions for a storm. No matter how skilled a magus, creating lightning like that in what my master said was a closed off world shouldn't have been possible.

"Here!"

Jumping up to catch the ladder, I climbed to the top of the train car.

My master followed soon after. No doubt his ability to stay stable on the swaying train car was due to some sort of Strengthening magecraft he was using on his legs.

Lightning struck again.

It was so close as to completely blind us. The impact stunned me completely. Standing between the strike and my master to cover him, I instinctively covered my ears.

My master had said before.

Even for a magus, a person flying through the air would be difficult. With his explanation, I had come to agree.

If that was the case though, then where did this person come from?

After a short pause, they lifted their head.

"-ah, you actually came."

A dignified voice reached my ears, just now regaining their sense of hearing.

It was a beautiful woman.

She looked to be around twenty years old.

And rather tall. Not just her height, but the way she stood so effortlessly on the roof of the moving train car made her look larger. Her black hair fluttered in soft waves in the wind of the moving train, and her eyes were each a different colour. Her slim figure wore plain looking leather underneath metal armour, and she had a simple, easy to use short sword on her hip.

"Should I look down on you for coming here, even knowing it might be a trap? Or should I praise you for having the fortitude to come even with so little strength? Which do you think?" she said, looking at us.

Though the way she spoke gave no impression of hostility, the way her strange eyes peered into the depths of me had me stuck firmly in place.

More than anything, more than any of the dozens of magi I had met, she seemed entirely out of place in this era.

(Almost like...)

Almost like, she had jumped out of a fairy tale...

"Hm? What's wrong? You should be able to understand me. Did I use some archaic phrase or something?"

Shaking my head, I drove the unnecessary thoughts out of my head.

Right now, I didn't need that kind of thinking at all. What I needed was a straight, clear shot at the problem.

"...are you the one who stole from my master?"

I said nothing of the relic. If she was the culprit, she would understand. And if she wasn't, she had no need to know. Whether she understood my thinking or not, her face broke out into a wide smile.

"Hahaha, yes, that's correct. I am a follower of said thief," she laughed cheerfully.

When a beautiful woman laughed, people often likened them to flowers, or jewels. Some might prefer a comparison to art, or fruit.

But for this woman, I saw only iron. Iron, rusted over with blood. A woman clad in the scent of iron was a rare thing. Whether it was by sword or armour or shield, it was the scent of someone who vied for supremacy on the battlefield.

"Then, give it back-!"

Stepping forward, my right shoulder tensed. Ready at any moment to draw my weapon.

"Gray."

But before I could, my master called out to stop me.

Normally, my master always looked deeply to discern the strengths and weaknesses of our opponent. No matter how berserk I had gone, he would always act as the stopper, pulling me back when it was necessary.

But this time, something was wrong.

His voice was a little higher than usual, his breathing rough.

Since he saw that woman. For a moment I wondered if it was a familiar face, but his next words put that idea to rest.

"Who, are you?" he asked.

The armoured woman sighed.

"...what an unpleasant face."

She raised a finger. Her tanned leather gauntlets seemed designed not to impede the movement of her individual fingers, allowing her to raise them one after another.

"Shabby. Fussy. Dark, obstinate. Bad at waking up. Someone who only reads moldy old books. Proud despite his own menial nature. And despite wearing the face of someone whose suffering from their circumstances, you're the one causing all of those circumstances. How about that? It's all true, isn't it?"

I was at a loss for words. It was like she was listing off each and every tiny detail about his life.

Though she was right about everything, she clicked her tongue as if she was the most troubled by it all.

"I don't like it. I don't like it at all. I was sick enough of seeing a face like that on Eumenes, but it's followed me all the way to this era, too?"

"Eumenes?" my master repeated the name.

No, at this point it would be more accurate to say he had gone stiff.

"They said he had served under you for a time, so I wondered what kind of magus you were. But this? No, comparing you to Eumenes doesn't do it justice. Not even a bit. Of course I didn't expect anything like Ammon's priest or Aristotle, but at this rate it would be better to scoop out what little brains you have and feed them to the wolves."

My master stood in shock.

His face looked like he would have preferred to have been struck by that lightning earlier. As if he had just come to realize some truth that would single-handedly take away his happiness.

I swallowed.

"You...!"

"You finally noticed? Even if you've lost your ability to see their abilities that you had as a Master, are you sure your intuition hasn't gone dull? The reason I called you forth was just a whim of mine. But I guess it wasn't worth the effort. Man, what a complete waste of time. I never thought you could have been so disappointing," She continued to rail against him.

But before I could give voice to my anger at that, she acted.

"So die."

With that, she kicked off the roof of the train car.

With a single step, she had reached my master standing behind me. I was shocked - her physical ability exceeded even mine after I had collected the surrounding magical energy. Closing the distance between them in an instant, she drew her sword.

"Master!"

Turning around, I also stepped toward him, throwing out my right hand.

"Ihihihihihi! This is just too much of a development, isn't it?!"

In an instant, the hook on my right shoulder released, and Add expanded. His Rubix Cube-like exterior span rapidly, settling into the shape of a scythe in my hands.

A hard sound filled the air.

The scythe caught her sword.

"Oh?" the woman said with another smile.

"Impressive. You blocked it head on, did you? It seems you're better than the soldiers of Persia."

"Who, are you....?!"

A grinding sound filled the air as her blade pressed down on my scythe.

Though her weapon was sharp, it didn't seem to have any special properties as a Noble Phantasm or Conceptual Weapon. But as she swung the blade around, it was clear it was no ordinary blade.

"Remember this. Having skill in combat does not make one a soldier. Such a becoming is a question of body, mind, and spirit."

I had forgotten that we were on top of a moving train.

This woman seemed so out of place, so separated from the present, it made me feel like I was standing on some ancient battlefield. As if being surrounded by magi on the Mystic Eye Collecting Train wasn't outlandish enough, this woman had an overwhelming sense of the supernatural that set her completely apart.

(What, is this-?!)

Inside my head, the warning signals were blaring.

Don't touch. Don't approach. Don't associate. Even showing interest will be the end of you. Even when confronting the Grand ranked magus, Touko Aozaki, that warning had only been a soft insistence. Now, it was a violent scream, pleading with me to run away.

But retreat wasn't an option.

Once again, the woman's sword came down on my scythe.

(So, strong...!)

Her speed and accuracy were terrifying. But more than that, the weight of her repeated strikes was simply unnatural. The shock of the impact travelled straight through the scythe to the bones in my arms. Each and every swing came with the intention of killing.

Soldier, she had said.

Not just an issue of skill, but of body, mind, and spirit.

Then, she must have been...

"...a Servant!"

The answer came from behind me.

That pained shout came, as if he had to wrench out his insides to do it.

"Gray! That woman is a Ghost Liner - the manifestation of a Heroic Spirit from Humanity's history!"

"Haha, a little late, isn't he?" the woman laughed.

As she laughed, she threw her sword into a horizontal slash.

This time, collecting as much magical energy from the area as I could, I kicked off the roof. Matching my timing to the swaying of the train, I slipped through the gap made by her ever so slightly slowed blade, flipping backwards.

As I landed, I stumbled backwards.

Even with that, her blade still grazed my legs.

"Well now. That's an interesting trick. You absorbed a bit of my magical energy just now, didn't you?"

Looking down at her blade, the armoured woman lifted her shoulders, amused.

"A perfect technique to use against me as I am now. Too bad, though, the scope is just too small. Even if you're a cat, you can't catch a mouse a hundred times your size. I imagine it would be good enough to wipe out a ghost outright, too."

As soon as she mentioned ghosts, a chill ran up my spine.

But for the first time, my fear of the person in front of me took precedence. Gritting my teeth, trying to ignore the cold sweat breaking out, I put power into my legs again. If I hadn't, I would certainly have collapsed. By dropping my focus just a bit, I could feel a sensation like my insides flipping upside down.

With that sword, she would have no problem cutting me cleanly in two.

"Ah, the master seems hopeless, but the disciple isn't so bad. You seem the type to stay in the kitchen even when you can't handle the heat, but you're holding up quite well. If we hadn't met like this, I might have enjoyed training you myself, but I guess that's that."

The woman's lips curled.

"As a reward, I'll show you something interesting."

She didn't move.

All she did was look at me.

Heterochromia. Her right eye was as dark as night, while her left was as blue as the daytime sky. As I noticed that, I felt my mind being sucked in by that brilliant blue light.

No unnecessary movement. Single Action.

My body clumsily turned to the side. I could only watch dumbfounded as I saw my arms lift my scythe in the air, pointed toward my own master.

"Mystic...Eyes...?!"

"I guess you people would call it a Noble Colour of Compulsion. A fitting end to a fight on this stage, don't you think?"

Her shimmering blue eye seemed to laugh.

"My god prizes madness. The comedies and tragedies caused by intoxication and drunkenness are to be enjoyed. I had thought watching the master and student slay each other would be entertaining, but...looks like one of you has some irritating equipment. It seems the magi of this era are well prepared."

"...you..."

Pressing his glasses to his face, my master stumbled.

It seemed the Mystic Code he had prepared for the Rail Zeppelin was enough to defend against this woman's Compulsion.

But that was no reason to feel relieved. My body was still being perfectly controlled. My previously clumsy movements were gradually becoming smoother, and the distance between my master and I was shrinking.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey Gray! Are you serious?! What are you doing?!"

The scythe came down.

On the roof of the train car, red filled the night air.

Slicing through only a single layer of leather on my master's shoulder, the scythe spun in an arc aiming for the woman's throat.

"-well, that scythe is quite versatile," she said, seeing right through me as her sword intercepted the blade coming for her.

With the magical energy expelled by the scythe forcibly running through my magic circuits, it flushed the effects of the Mystic Eyes from my system. Even then, it was a desperate maneuver, and had it been even a few moments late, I would have taken my master's head right off his shoulders.

"I guess there's nothing else to do, then. I had hoped to let you two settle things yourselves, but I guess not."

Taking a large step back, the woman gave a small sigh.

She then raised her sword to the dark clouds above. Though it seemed like she acted so arrogant as to think she could cut the sky with her own weapon, the unusual magical energy flooding the blade was impossible to ignore.

I jumped forward.

"I won't let you-!"

"Too late," she said, bringing down the sword with its enormous amount of magical energy.

From the empty space before her, something expanded.

It looked like she had cut open space itself. Though it seemed that way, it was probably more like materializing a spiritual entity, or some similar phenomenon. Whichever the case, the appearance of the object pushed aside the air in its place, creating a powerful shock wave that threw me backwards.

A stinging pain covered my skin.

It was the first time I had felt that. My body was starting to reject the enormous amount of magical energy I had absorbed.

"Ihihihihi! No, no, no, no, no! That's not allowed, Gray! Anything but that! Even if it's us, this isn't an opponent we can beat!" Add shouted.

Lightning struck once again.

Lightning from the dark clouds overhead repeatedly struck around the armoured woman, as if in blessing.

The lightning-clad form was that of a two-horse chariot. It wasn't a weapon of the modern age. It was an ancient symbol, a vehicle pulled by horses or something similar, running across the battlefield trampling all underfoot.

"-what?!"

I heard a stunned voice.

Of course, that was to be expected. The creatures pulling the chariot were made entirely of bone. And though they were only skeletons, the lizards had powerful looking wings. Were they small dragons? With no forelimbs, they looked like the long extinct Wyvern, a phantasmal species.

Watching that chariot drawn by dragons of bone, my master's expression continued to twist.

"...but, that..."

"Master?"

But I understood.

This was a Noble Phantasm. The same as the holy spear hidden within Add. A weapon that surpassed human intellect. But thanks to its terrible nature, I could predict what type of Noble Phantasm it would be.

Before coming to the Rail Zeppelin, Reines had told me.

'...he was said to have two Noble Phantasms.'

'-One, the chariot dedicated to the Gordion Shrine, the
    Heaven's Wheel
    Gordius Wheel
    .'

"My name is Hephaestion!" the woman roared. "The closest friend of the greatest King of Conquerors in history, Iskandar!"

The woman - Hephaestion leapt up onto the chariot, took the reins, and the chariot lifted into the air.

With a figure that seemed taken straight out of myth, she brought the chariot around in an arc, charging directly toward us. With each step of the skeletal dragons pulling it, lightning boomed. Each strike was as powerful as the lightning that had struck before. A human struck once would, without a shadow of a doubt, be killed instantly.

"Master!"

Grabbing a hold of him, I jumped.

As we fell to the roof of the train car, I felt a burst of energy pass over my back. The storm trampled down the world. After passing us by, that manifestation of destruction plowed through the forest, throwing trees this way and that as if they were no more than pencils.

(It's not stopping-!)

There was no way it could be stopped.

If there was a way, there was only one.

As the chariot came around in a wide arc, I slowly lifted Add up from where I was sitting on my knees. The numerous eyes adorning the scythe opened. The magical energy in the atmosphere was enough. Full throttle. The time to activate its true function was now.

"
    Dark
    Gray
    Unsteady
    Rave
    Wish
    Crave
    Fallen
    Deprave
    ..."

"No, Gray!" my master shouted.

"If you use it in such an unstable place, we won't make it out either! And she hasn't even released its True Name yet!"

"But...!"

The chariot gradually gained speed, heading toward us.

I could no longer - no, at this rate, I wouldn't have made it in time anyways.

Slowly, my master stood. He drew out the knife he always used to cut his cigars. I couldn't imagine he hoped to fight a Heroic Spirit using something like that, but either way I went stiff as I watched him.

"Hahaha, suicide is it?!"

"...no way..."

As my master stepped forward, the small blade glimmered.

His thin frame was drowned out in the chariot and its lightning. The bright lightning was enough to cast out the night. And as powerful as the roaring thunder, a battle cry.

"AAAALaLaLaLaLaie!!!!"

Fate was decided.

The lightning pouring out to the sides of the chariot was unstoppable. Trampled down by dragons of bone, torn apart by the chariot that followed, not a shred of his original form would remain. The force it brought to bear wasn't just an Anti-Personnel weapon, but was in the range of an Anti-Army Noble Phantasm. Even a fully equipped modern army would be annihilated by a single strike.

A deafening roar. Like the rampage of a god, the word 'destruction' seemed insufficient to describe it.

And in the next moment, that attack blew us away.

With my vision narrowed down to focus on one single point, everything seemed to move in slow motion.

The door to the freight car opened. At last, I realized we had been knocked down to the side of the freight car.

"Professor! Gray!"

"Caules...!"

From that open door, Caules reached out to us.

As we fell, my master and I reached desperately for that hand. As his Strengthened hand caught my weight for a single moment, I threw myself into my master. A moment later, I did a half spin, jumping into the freight car.

My eyes immediately snapped to the window, where I saw the woman and her chariot flying off into the distance.

"...she's not...chasing...?"

"...if she hit us here, that would be a declaration of war against the Rail Zeppelin itself, after all... I don't know why, but...I guess at the least, her Master isn't interested in doing that. That must have been why they picked such a place," my master muttered weakly as he leaned against the wall, sliding to the floor.

He then raised his head with a small smile.

"Good timing, Caules."

"I was worried. I felt some sort of magical lightning earlier, and when I came to check, you were facing down some sort of monster chariot."

"Ah," I suddenly realized at that moment.

Thanks to his research into Primeval Batteries, Caules must have become sensitive to the flow of electricity. Though I'm sure even my master never would have assumed such a thing would happen.

"...thanks, you really saved us," my master said with a ragged sigh.

A small ceramic jar was lying at his feet. Already laced with cracks, as it rolled across the floor, the cracks spread throughout until it fell apart.

"...I wonder...if it hadn't been a direct hit, would the Primeval Battery have survived?" he gave another deep sigh.

At that, Caules blinked in surprise.

"Did you cut your hair?"

Though it was just a single lock, it seemed some of my master's hair was missing.

Finally I realized the knife earlier hadn't been for fighting the enemy, but for cutting his own hair.

"...it's a trump card normally used by female magi. If you fill your hair with magical energy, it functions well as a catalyst. After all, I don't have many advantages with this body. There's no point in decking myself out with Mystic Codes, but I figured one or two secret weapons would help."

Hold on.

Was that the reason he had grown his hair out so long?

Amplifying the magecraft of the Primeval Battery, he misdirected the force of the lightning. But no matter how much lightning he was able to redirect, the difference between him and that chariot was just too much. We had been blown away just by the wind coming off it, before it even hit us.

The fact we survived that could be nothing less than a miracle. If those skeletal dragons had struck us with a single step, we both would have died.

"...it seems she took it easy on us. If she had really intended on killing us, something small like this wouldn't have made a difference. ...but how did she summon that thing...? Why...was there a friend of the king...I had never seen...?"

"Professor-?"

Trying to help my master to his feet, Caules' breath caught.

The back of his coat had been thoroughly scorched. That was probably a result of us being blown away. My master must have Strengthened his entire body as I had, but there was an insurmountable gap between our capabilities to do so. And if he had been using his magecraft to redirect the lightning, there was no way his arms or Magic Circuits could have been fully operational for that.

"Please keep it quiet...from the staff..."

With a faint moan, he began to sway.

"Master!"

"Professor!

Our shouts didn't reach him.

Just like that, his swaying body collapsed, falling forward.

I'll be working on editing up Chapter 4 and etc over the next day or two, so they should be out relatively soon.
    Last edited by TwilightsCall; February 1st, 2020 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Corrections
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

US Friend Code
    H-hayai!

At this rate the whole volume will be out by the time I'm through with my exams...

Taste the Rainbow
    "Please give me regards to the Animusphere girl." -> "Please give my regards to the Animusphere girl."
    Of course I didn't expected anything like Ammon's priest or Aristotle -> Of course I didn't expect anything like Ammon's priest or Aristotle

Thanks for the good work

Chapter 3 Part 2
    "No, that's not my intentional at all. [...]" -> "No, that's not my intention at all. [...]"

It's quite nice to see what changed/stayed the same between the LN and the anime. Your translation speed is to be commended, Twilight.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    So instead of redirecting lightning with his hair, he just boosted a spell with it. Interesting to see a difference between the novel and the anime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Many, many thanks for the very fast translation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Chapter 4 Part 1

Chapter 4

Part 1

As we rushed back to our guest room, luckily we didn't come across anyone else.

Thanks to the previous murder incident, the other magi must have been staying inside their rooms. As we opened the door to our room, a silver-haired girl turned to look at us.

"W-what is wrong with you, leaving me alone right after saying you couldn't leave me alone?!" Turning teary eyes on us as she complained, Olgamarie went stiff as she noticed us carrying my master. "W-what?! What's going on?!"

"I'm sorry. Please, get out of the way!"

Getting to the bed as fast as possible, we laid my master down.

As we stripped off his coat and shirt, the smell of burnt flesh filled the room. Resisting the urge to vomit, we used a knife to separate the areas where his clothes had stuck to his skin. While ordinarily we would have called on the staff to get some medical supplies, due to my master's request to keep them uninvolved, our hands were tied.

"...Caules..."

"I know. My skill in healing magecraft is pretty bad, though."

I immediately passed him off to Caules.

Caules immediately laid him on his side, so his back wouldn't touch the bed. Putting his hand on a ceramic pot lying near the bed, a faint electricity began to run through him.

"That is..."

"One application of Primeval Batteries. We had just started researching it in class, though," Caules said, biting his lip.

"By using electricity, we stimulate the professor's body's natural healing ability, and replenish his Od as much as possible. Though I don't know how much of a difference this will actually make. If he had a powerful Magic Crest then it would be completely different."

For those with powerful Magic Crests, no matter what kind of serious injuries they sustained, the Crest would forcibly keep its host alive as long as possible. Unfortunately, it was clear my master had no such thing.

His breathing was rough and shallow.

We could understand just how powerful an attack he had taken just from the way he breathed. Sitting there completely unable to do anything, I felt like my heart was being crushed under the pressure.

"...was he attacked by the culprit?" Olgamarie asked.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean, you don't know?"

"Of course we were attacked. But that seems to be related to our own circumstances. We can't know for sure if they were involved with the attack on Trisha too."

At my straight response, Olgamarie's brow furrowed slightly.

Caules alone continued focusing all his efforts on the healing. Within the dark room, the sporadic flashes of electricity felt like images of my master's life slipping away.

I dropped to my knees beside him.

My heart was beating so loud, I felt the others might be able to hear it. The cold sweat wouldn't stop.

Like my heart had been struck directly, I couldn't stop the tears from pouring out. I didn't even remember when they had started.

"Is he such an important person to you? I thought you weren't even a magus," Olgamarie spoke again.

Perhaps Caules had explained to her that I wasn't a magus.

"I'm his disciple," I said without lifting my head.

"Even if I'm not a magus, I'm his disciple."

"...hmph."

Whether she accepted that answer or not, she stepped away.

After a little while, she pulled something from the bag she had left on the floor.

"Then why not try this?"

She held out a small, beautiful looking bottle. Even without the elegant design, I could feel an old magical power coming from within it.

"What is...?"

"Druidic Medicine. It was given to Trisha just in case, but I have no use for it. After all, it's not like it'll make her head grow back. It seems able to cure almost anything, so why not give it a shot?"

As she spoke without any sense of urgency, Caules spun around.

"Druidic medicine?! You mean, the perfect Panacea, spoken of by Pliny the Elder?!"

"You get it, right? With this, Animusphere's debt to El-Melloi is paid in full. If he makes it through this, I expect you tell him that."

Pushing the bottle on us, she stepped away.

Then, with a yawn,

"Good night, then."

With a wave, she lay down on one of the beds.

Though she gave no signs of actually having fallen asleep, we were too absorbed in the bottle she had handed us to notice. Timidly, I emptied the medicine into my hand and spread it on my master's back. I then tore a section from some sheets nearby, and after boiling them to disinfect them, I wrapped them around his injury.

I didn't know how useful it would be.

But after waiting for a while, it seemed his breathing had become more stable.

"Caules..."

"...I don't know. But I feel like the magecraft is working easier, now."

Caules' face was gradually turning pale.

Having focused on the magecraft for so long, it wasn't just his mental focus, but his physical strength was also under strain. Though I didn't know what that felt like, I knew that the cost would be severe.

(...please, God...)

When had I begun praying like that?

The sorrowful face of my master when he had heard the Heroic Spirit herself as Hephaestion was stuck in my head. What had he felt, then? To be so ruthlessly attacked by the dear friend of the person he so badly wanted to meet?

So,

(...please don't let my master die...in such a sad way...)

I prayed with my whole heart.

Chapter 4 Part 2

Chapter 4

Part 2

Sunlight shone in through the window.

Piercing through the fog outside, the bright, refreshing morning light finally made me notice the blanket laid over my shoulders.

"-Master!"

"He's still asleep," Caules said with a weak smile.

Apparently having woken up before me, he rubbed his eyes sleepily.

"But, we seem to be past the difficult part. As expected, Druidic Medicine is really impressive stuff. For now, we're done with the treatment. His condition is still serious though, so best not to wake him up yet."

"...t-thank you...!" Instinctively, I bowed my head.

Caules' harrowed face seemed to me like that of an angel.

Soon after,

"Morning," Olgamarie greeted us, stretching as she sat up in bed.

After a brief glance at my master and a muttered 'guess he didn't die after all,' she put her hair roughly in order before turning to Caules.

"I figured it was pointless to give that medicine to you since he seemed well past helping, but it looks like you're pretty good. Is healing magecraft your field or something?"

"Not at all. The Professor had just taught me that Electric Magecraft a few weeks ago, actually."

"What?! A few weeks ago?!" she blurted out.

"What are you, some kind of genius disguised as an idiot?"

"Well, actually, even the magecraft I've studied for years didn't sit with me as well. I was learning Spiritual Evocation before, but I just couldn't get a handle on it."

"Pft. I'd heard rumours of the El-Melloi Classroom before, but..."

Narrowing her eyes, she made a difficult expression.

With a sigh, she reluctantly turned to us.

"Would you tell me more about what happened?"

"Well..."

Seeing I wasn't sure what to say, Caules spoke up.

"It's fine, isn't it, Gray?"

"...is it?"

"She's already involved with this after all...and as an Animusphere, she has information about the Holy Grail War, right? Considering the current situation on the Rail Zeppelin, we should really be working together. Once the Professor wakes up, I'm sure he'll say the same thing."

Caules gave me a serious look as he spoke.

Earlier, I had thought he was out of place at the Clock Tower, but perhaps I had been wrong about that. Rather, perhaps his ability to completely switch his personality as he was pressed on by the situation at hand was ideal for a magus. Though his sister, who he had replaced as the successor to his family, was supposed to be much more talented than he was, I couldn't imagine her surpassing him in this respect.

"Yeah, you owe me for that medicine, too."

"I thought you said that made us even?"

At my composed rebuttal, Olgamarie's breath caught.

But by that point, I had already made up my mind. Except for the existence of my master's relic, I explained the situation up until now.

"A Servant?" her voice jumped.

"Really? Summoning a Heroic Spirit that maintains its personality from its lifetime should be impossible outside of the Holy Grali War of Fuyuki. There's no way one would show up in England. Even if there was a method, without that Greater Grail, that spell wouldn't work."

Borrowing the powers, at least in part, of Heroic and Divine Spirits was certainly a possibility.
    Eulyphis
    The Faculty of Spiritual Evocation
    taught magecraft along those lines, I had been told in a lecture.

But a ritual to bring forth a Heroic Spirit in its entirety was normally impossible.

"...well, putting aside whether the spell exists or not, is summoning outside of Fuyuki possible? If it were, it would require authority on the level of the Three Families."

Closing an eye, Olgamarie muttered to herself.

As a habit my master also took part in from time to time, maybe talking to oneself out loud while thinking something through was common among magi. Perhaps because the first principle of the Clock Tower was to keep Mystery hidden? In detective novels, it was often used with the excuse of them not wanting to share their theories with others while still formulating them, but I felt it was a little different in this case.

Once again, Olgamarie asked us.

"Was it really a Servant? Are you sure?"

"Um, well, her Noble Phantasm was definitely the real thing. My master seemed to recognize it as the same one used by Iskandar...and anyways, it was something well beyond what a human should be able to muster."

That's right. For a human magus, replicating a Noble Phantasm was impossible.

Last month, my master had shown us Projection Magecraft, but that was only able to reproduce the outward appearance, and even then only for an extremely limited time. To completely reproduce an entire Noble Phantasm...at the very least, from my lectures in the Clock Tower, it seemed to be something entirely outside of the scope of possibility.

After watching us for some time,

"In that case, we can't say it's definitely unrelated to me," she declared.

"What do you mean?"

"If there's a Servant, that means somewhere there's a Master. With the Rail Zeppelin travelling through this Closed Space, that Servant must have used its Noble Phantasm to track us down. In that case, the chances of that Servant's Master being on the train itself is extremely high."

At that, I swallowed. Of course, considering we were here pursuing the one who had stolen the relic, it should have been an obvious possibility.

"Man, things have gotten rather annoying. ...so, what kind of Servant was it?"

"...she said her name was Hephaestion."

"Hm, Iskandar's subordinate?"

"Do you know her?"

"There's no way I wouldn't. Hephaestion is the most famous of all of Iskandar's followers," she answered with a snort.

"As a close friend, he's right at the top. They studied together at Mieza, were both taught by Aristotle, visited the grave of Achilles and Patroclus together, and in the end they both took a daughter of Darius III as wife."

"They took his daughters as wives?"

Feeling like I had heard something strange, I couldn't help but repeat it back.

"That's right. It's pretty indisputable stuff.

"But, umm...the Hephaestion we met was a woman..."

"A woman? Well, wouldn't it have been a problem if a woman was set up as a leader in the army? It would have been easier for Iskandar if he had just lied about her gender to the generals. Maybe it was something like that. Though it's hard to imagine her climbing the ladder so well just because she was old friends with him, it's possible her exploits just weren't in the records that survived until today," she explained, waving a hand around.

Of course I knew basic information about Iskandar's life, but knowledge about his subordinates or anecdotes of their lives was something well beyond my knowledge. Though, even if she was a magus, being outclassed by an eleven year old like this stung a little.

At the same time, the idea that he let her into the army, lying about her gender, and somehow pulled the whole thing off without getting caught - it made me wonder exactly what kind of person this Iskandar had been.

"At any rate, if that was really Hephaestion, then it goes without saying she'd be able to use the same Noble Phantasms as Iskandar."

"Really...?"

"-he was another Iskandar, after all," she said.

"This is another famous story. At one time, when Iskandar and Hephaestion visited them, the mother of Darius III didn't know which of the two was king. So, she mistakenly bowed before Hephaestion. At that time, such an affront to the king was more than worthy of punishment, but Iskandar just laughed it off, saying 'He's another Iskandar!'

If Hephaestion was really a woman, it's hard to believe that it was just a mistake, so there was probably something else at play, but that anecdote likely sublimated into a Noble Phantasm itself - for example, letting Hephaestion use the Noble Phantasms of Iskandar - so it's not that strange to think it possible."

I was speechless.

A Noble Phantasm was the 'power' that served as the symbol of a Heroic Spirit. Not just a simple weapon or tool, but a legend of what made that Hero who they were, manifested as a Concept. In a way, it was something engraved even deeper that a Heroic Spirit's own name. To be able to use another Heroic Spirit's Noble Phantasm without limit, didn't that mean they were truly one and the same person?

The fact that someone like that had said she "didn't like my master at all" cause a sting in my chest.

What did my master feel as he heard those words?

"So, I'd also like to ask, then," Olgamarie said.

"Did someone steal the relic for Iskandar from you guys?"

Once again, I couldn't help going stiff.

As if she saw it in my expression, Olgamarie crossed her arms with a sigh.

"Of course I'd figure it out," she said in a bored voice.

"In the Fourth Holy Grail War, he summoned Iskandar, right? I don't know what kind of relic he had to do so, but anything that had a strong connection to Iskandar would almost certainly have a strong connection to Hephaestion as well. Rather than someone just happening by chance to summon Hephaestion, it's much more natural to think someone used the same relic."

The girl's conjecture punched right through our negligence.

Perhaps that was only ordinary for someone from the family of a Lord. I could understand a little better now how Reines had gotten that way. It wasn't just that Reines was born with that kind of talent, but it was a talent that was refined and polished by that environment.

"So in short, the person who stole the relic summoned Hephaestion...and that Master is now aboard the Rail Zeppelin?"

"The possibility is high. Though I don't know why they summoned Hephaestion instead of Iskandar, or what brought them to the Rail Zeppelin in the first place."

After saying that,

"But, things seem a bit backwards with Hephaestion, don't they?" she muttered.

"What is backwards?"

"I told you we researched the Holy Grail War before, right? Normally, in order to hide a Servant's weak points, they do their best to keep their true names hidden. Instead, they call themselves by names based on the Class they were summoned into, like Saber or Lancer."

As she descended into though, she put a finger to her chin.

"But, this time we know the Servant's true name, but not their class. Though judging from the fact she uses Iskandar's Noble Phantasms, and from her abilities in general, Rider seems like the safest bet."

"You think they are the same?"

"No idea," she shook her head.

"It's not like I can trust everything you told me wholesale anyways. But if we assume what you've said is true, then that part alone is strange. ...which leaves a single problem."

Letting herself be swayed by the movements of the train, she raised a finger.

Caules took up on that problem right away.

"Whether the culprit of our murder case is Hephaestion's Master or not?"

"Oh, I'm surprised you get it."

"We just don't have enough information to tell. The only clue we have is that they took away her entire head."

At Caules' words, the two of them fell silent.

That seemed to be the limit of what we could conclude. Even just following along, my head was overflowing with new information, so I was desperate to get rid of as much of it as possible.

-the stolen relic of Iskandar.

-the Servant, Hephaestion.

-the murder incident on the Rail Zeppelin.

-the missing head of the murder victim.

-Rainbow Mystic Eyes.

I felt like I should have asked more about Iskandar. I should have asked more, without regretting going behind my master's back to do so. I couldn't imagine it being necessary information at this time, but there should have been something we were able to do.

I looked back at my master, lying on his side.

I wondered what he would have thought. What connection was there between that Servant and the murder? How would he analyze them, how would he dissect those situations?

(For example...)

I struggled to reach back into my memory.

'-Sight is the first magecraft in human history.'

'-Among the five senses, sight is the one that provides the most information.'

Before we had come here, I had had such a discussion with my master.

What place did Mystic Eyes have in the history of magecraft?

Normally I'm sure my master would start from there in his search for a resolution. There was no way I was smart enough to figure it out on my own, but with Caules and Olgamarie beside me, I felt like maybe I could at least find the start of the path.

Around and around, around and around.

Around and around, around and around.

I dove into my memories, forcing my head to work. Before I noticed that the conversation between the other two had started again, a certain scene began to play in my head.

Before I knew it, a question slipped out of my mouth.

"...I wonder...what does Prediction mean?"

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, umm...just, Miss Trisha said her Foresight was Predictive."

I answered Caules' question as I sifted through that memory.

'-It's like they are a person invisible to time.'

The words Karabo and my master had shared when they were inspecting Trisha's body stuck out like a thorn.

After my vague explanation, Caules closed his eyes for a while.

"...hmmm. Because they are limited by the functions of the human body, Foresight and Hindsight both come in two forms, those being Predictive and Determinative," he said, raising two fingers.

"Predictive is exactly like it sounds. Like if we saw a ball on a hill, we could predict that it would roll down it. It's an extension of that basic principle. It's a phenomenon possible when the person using the ability has a tremendous ability to remember and calculate. But because that process would be greatly hindered by the personality of the person using it, it mostly happens entirely unconsciously."

"...umm...in other words, it's like normal imagination?"

"The logic is the same. But in this case, the amount of memory and number of calculations taking place unconsciously are far beyond what an ordinary human can handle. Fundamentally, our bodies have been optimized by the process of Evolution. Even if magi are humans with a tendency toward the past, their bodies are still the same format as every other human. So even if the logic is the same, the amount of memory and calculative ability required creates a process that far exceeds what humans can handle.

For example, I have a decent grasp of the 'impression' of this place. I know the three people's names, and their faces. I know we're in a luxurious private room aboard a train. I can grasp things in a wider scope, like the positions of beds and tables, or the periodic movements of the train. But when ti comes to Predictive Foresight, fine details like the colour of light, the individual intonation of each sound in our voices, the second to second movements of our eyes, the gradual changes in our body odours or the shade and colour of the fog outside are all recorded, and the calculations are made together with the knowledge of the environment and the people within them to create an image of a single world...even unconsciously, that level of information is enough to fry your brain."

"...memory, and calculations..."

I thought through what Caules said.

Though the amount of information was more than someone like I could handle, it still gave me a bad feeling. After thinking about it for a while, I realized what was bothering me.

"But, then...isn't that more something for the brain to do, rather than the eyes?"

"It varies from case to case, but from the perspective of magecraft, eyes have their own kind of Magic Circuits. Those are capable of holding that kind of memory and performing those kinds of calculations on their own."

Now that he mentioned it, I remembered hearing that Magic Circuits could be used like a kind of computer for recording and storing information. Perhaps Mystic Eyes operating under Predictive Foresight used the same principle.

"In contrast, Determinative Foresight is much stranger. The same kind of memory and calculative power is required, but while Predictive Foresight is a passive, defensive process, Determinative Foresight is an assertive - in a way, an offensive one."

"Assertive?"

"Yes. Assertive, in that it makes the future work for it. Basically..."

Thinking for a bit, Caules looked around the room.

Taking a notebook from the table nearby, he drew a shape on the paper.

"What's this?"

"It's a diagram of time. It's easy enough to understand that the future is made up of a wide spread, right?"

As Caules drew on the page, I gave a small nod.

In short, they were choices. Whether to take the cup in front of you with your left hand or your right hand, the uncountable number of choices like that made up what we conceptually referred to as the future. In the same way, from the single point on Caules' diagram that represented the present, countless lines stretched forward to represent the future.

"Before, I told you that Predictive Foresight used as much data as possible from the past and present to predict what was possible in the future. In comparison, Determinative Foresight seeks to determine which of those possible futures will occur, or even is used to decide which one will come to pass. In order to do that, the user attempts to limit the choices of others."

Deciding yourself whether to take the cup with your left hand or right hand.

As a result, restricting the responses and actions of the world around you. So the meaning of Determinative Foresight was acting yourself to determine which future would come about - in short, calculating how one would do so. As he explained, it was completely different from Predictive Foresight. Even though they were both called Foresight, they were as different as fire and water.

"This difference in logic means that Determinative Foresight is many times more accurate than Predictive Foresight. Though it seems like you can only see the future of the place you happen to be in at that moment, once it's been decided, that future is completely fixed. You could say their ability to restrict the future in that regard is absolute."

Deciding the future.

I felt a definite sense of dread hiding within those words.

If someone had eyes like that, I wondered what kind of life they would lead. Passing each day, just blindly acting along a script they already knew. Completely bereft of free will. A slave to the future they've already seen.

Who was it that decided on that future - the eyes, or the one who bore them?

As those thoughts ran through my imagination, I nodded again.

"...I understand, I think. And Hindsight is the same?"

"Yes," he answered. "Though when it comes to Hindsight, the distinction between Predictive and Determinative is basically irrelevant. Most people who use them don't seem to make the distinction, either."

"I see."

"Let me draw that, too." ...compared to the infinitely expanding future, the past is like a mountain of sand."

Below the countless lines that depicted the future, Caules drew a mountain made of tiny grains of sand.

From a distance, it looked sort of like a funnel. Countless paths from the future stretched toward the present, where a single path was chosen. Pressed down into a single grain, it then fell onto the mountain of grains beneath it, called the past.

Is that what time is like?

"One at a time, the grains of the future slip through the present, before falling onto the mountain that is the past. With a diagram like this, in the same way entropy works in a three dimensional space, the idea of time following its own vector should be easy to understand."

The flow of time. Entropy.

Almost like an hourglass, moment by moment, the future became the present, and the present became the past. Unstoppable by anyone, uncontested by anyone, the single direction chosen by the universe.

"Whether predicting the past based on the results evident in the present, or calculating it based on one's own current perspective, the process is more or less the same. If I were to guess, I'd say calculating it based on your current perspective would narrow the scope, and thus improve the accuracy."

Though Determinative Foresight held the dreaded implication of determining a fixed future, since the past was already fixed, its equivalent in Hindsight wasn't nearly as menacing.

After saying all that, Caules added one more thing as if apologizing.

"That said, neither of them are able to actually see the past, so according to both Modern Magecraft and Quantum Theory, the past itself is also uncertain...some people make that argument. What we imagine as the past is nothing more than memory and records, they would say. ...sorry, my classes haven't gone any farther than that..."

"N-no, that's enough."

For a moment, it felt like I was getting another lecture from my master.

I glanced over to where my master was lying. Even if he were gone, the things he's cultivated wouldn't disappear. Thinking that, I felt a little better.

Seeing that our conversation was finally over, the abandoned and bored Olgamarie snorted.

"So, what of it?"

"Just, my master said something about that. That the culprit was invisible to both Foresight and Hindsight - like he was invisible to time."

Now that I thought about it, that conversation happened while she was unconscious.

"Invisible, to time..." she muttered, lifting her head.

"Is there someone who understands that a bit better?"

"Umm, if it's about Mystic Eyes, Yvette might know about it more in detail..." Caules offered.

As he spoke, an announcement echoed throughout the Rail Zeppelin.

An announcement like ice stabbing into my brain.

Chapter 4 Part 3

Chapter 4

Part 3

"-Rodin, sir," the auctioneer spoke.

A low sound reverberated, filling the entire car. Beyond numerous pressure gauges and valves, breaking levers and water levers, came the dull sound of iron and burning coal.

This was the one place that guests were not permitted - the control room of the Rail Zeppelin.

In reality, the majority of the train was run on magical energy, but this imagery of an old-fashioned steam locomotive was common throughout the vehicle. The previous owner had taken quite a liking to the aesthetic.

Alternatively, perhaps it was the Dead Apostle.

Though they had long since surpassed the limits of humanity in their abilities and magecraft, the Dead Apostle known by the auctioneer still had an affection for vestiges of humanity.

"Are the preparations complete, Leandra?" Without turning from the gauges he was watching, the conductor spoke.

"Yes. The
    Pandemorium's
    Mystic Eye Depository's
    contents have been confirmed. We will be able to continue without delay."

"Excellent. What is the main attraction, this time?"

"I don't know," sbe replied.

"As always, the Manager's Representative alone knows which is which."

Just as when the previous owner was in charge, the details of the Eye Catchers of the auction weren't told to the staff.

The only exception was when the bearer of those eyes refused to come forth - or, after receiving an invitation, refused to board the train. In those situations alone the owner's Representative would inform them of their identity. The fact they hadn't been told anything meant that the bearer was already aboard the Rail Zeppelin. Or, possibly, that they would be boarding later today.

While it was a bizarre custom, it was one Rodin and Leandra had grown used to.

The only concern that remained for them was to make sure the previous owner's Mystic Eye Auction continued unabated. For those who took pride in running that system, the prospect of doubting it never would have crossed their minds.

Even now, the owner's memory lingered in their hearts. That memory would surely remain as an unfading rose until the last of them died out, until the last gear of the Rail Zeppelin wore down to dust.

That was the kind of person they stood in support of.

The auctioneer spoke again.

"What do you make of the murder?"

"While it is unfortunate for the guests, it's hardly abnormal."

"I guess so. About once every five years, now," she admitted.

For those who weren't confident in their financial strength for the auction, the removal of troubling opponents by force was hardly an uncommon tactic. If one thought of the incident as another one of those, it wasn't out of the ordinary in the least. As far as the bizarre method of killing, by removing the entire head, when it came to the Rail Zeppelin that too wasn't especially surprising.

"Apparently the victim possessed Mystic Eyes of Foresight. Should someone come forward requesting they be transplanted, what do you plan to do?"

"Of course, if it's one of our guests, we will provide whatever care is necessary."

"The same as always, then."

"The same as always," Rodin nodded.

Life or death, he received all of them the same way. It was an auction started for the pleasure of the previous owner. If the owner didn't tell them to stop, they had no place to force the morals of human society into the mix.

As if it was nothing more than she expected, the auctioneer nodded before changing the subject.

"By the way, it seems things got rather heated last night."

"That uninvited guest?"

It went without saying that the conductor could tell the lightning they had witnessed the night before was not a natural phenomenon. Even while within the Closed Space of the Rail Zeppelin, or rather because they were in it, such coincidental occurrences should have been prevented.

"However, it appears they did not have hostile intentions toward us. As long as it does not hinder the operation of this train, I have no intention in getting involved with the personal affairs of the guests. ...of course, that all changes should we receive instructions from the Representative."

"...of course."

At Rodin's declaration, the auctioneer gave her affirmation as well.

As they had mentioned to Gray earlier, they had hardly ever met their current employer. And even those meetings had been like viewing a mirage on the horizon over the sea. Though they had run the system that was the Rail Zeppelin alone for all this time, that made their sense of loneliness all the more severe.

For a time, the sound of steam was the only thing heard in the control room.

Eventually, the auctioneer spoke again.

"What's wrong, sir?" 

"There is an anomaly on the tracks," Rodin spoke indifferently.

But having worked with him for so long, the auctioneer could tell. The bone-thin conductor's face was drawn with a distress she never would have imagined on him in the worst situation.

"It's difficult to believe, but, someone has done something to the tracks. ...it seems we will be grazing against a Child of Ainnash."

Staring hard at the pressure gauges before him, the conductor took the microphone in hand.

Electing to avoid the dining car, Hishiri Adashino had requested room service.

She had confirmed that the viewing of today's selection of Mystic Eyes would happen after the new guests had boarded. With the murder incident earlier, there was no need to spend any more time with the others than absolutely necessary.

While eating the bare minimum of hors d'oeuvres to stay healthy,

"...really, the previous owner was a terrible person," she said.

As an auction meant just to show off their collection of Mystic Eyes, trapping the magi in a secretive Closed Space was going too far. Beyond just avoiding boarding the train until the day before the auction, murdering the opponents you couldn't outbid was expected of magi.

In short, in addition to showing off their collection, it seemed the auction was also set up to enjoy the mortal conflict among the magi bidding on it. Hishiri could well feel how the ideals of the gathered magi had been condensed together in this crucible of greed.

"In that respect, maybe the killing of Animusphere's servant is reasonable?"

Even if they were in a Closed Space, and it would be difficult to pinpoint the culprit once that space had been opened, going so far as to kill the blood relative of a Lord - and the successor, no less - was a step too far. Killing the servant would be enough intimidation for an eleven year old girl. The culprit may have thought so.

Whydunnit.

From the beginning, Hishiri had no interest in pursuing the culprit, so any more speculation than that was unnecessary. It was simply a reflexive response to try and put the situation in order, drilled into her by her daily life. It was little more than instinctively calculating the answer when one saw a simple addition formula. That was just how members of the Faculty of Law operated.

Hishiri traced a finger down her own neck.

The entire head removed. A future that Trisha couldn't see, even with her Foresight. Though she didn't know which she possessed, if her Foresight was Predictive, then it wouldn't see through an abrupt occurrence. But...

For a time, Hishiri stared up at the ceilling.

"-We have an announcement to make for our guests," the broadcast came over the speakers.

"Special! Jeeeeeanmario! Spinerra's!! Zombie Cooking on a Train!!! Let's enjoy cooking some zombies to a crisp together today!"

His narration echoed through the dining car.

With his white hat fluttering in the air, he danced beneath it in his stylish white suit. Just as he did when he was doing a performance, he projected the image of a shotgun he couldn't possibly have hidden into the brains of his viewers, and began blasting haphazardly around the room.

"This time, all we have to do is eat, no cooking required! How relaxing! First of all is this phenomenal looking Carpaccio! Mmm, these anchovies in balsamic vinegar have quite the punch! Oho, that looks like quite the rose wine! We'll have to shotgun that! Go ahead and scream for me, audience!"

With a smooth turn, he scooped up some of the beef carpaccio, shivering at the flavour.

While the preparation was fairly simple, the ingredients were superb. The rose wine itself had a freshness, a mellowness that made one feel like they were ascending to heaven.

"Hey, AD! Hurry up and send out more zombies! If it's one star, I'll bash in their head! Three stars, and I'll blow out their heart with my shotgun! And if it tastes bad, I'll mash it into the chef and kill them both!"

"Okay, Mr. Jeanmario! Here you go!"

From the side, a zombie puppet suddenly appeared.

Using one hand to plant a chop directly into the zombie puppet's head, he used the other to catch his falling hat on a finger gun, all in one smooth motion.

"Crush the brain, sever the head, and as a bonus, serve the heart! Zombie Cooking Train Edition has concluded!"

With a short tap dance on top of his chair, he brought the show to a close.

The applause from his audience of one filled the train car.

"Wow, what an honour! To see Zombie Cooking live like that!"

"Hahaha, I'll send you an invitation to our live recording some time, so please come again! I'll be waiting for you, my eye-patched pink-haired zombie assistant!"

With a wink that looked like it needed a sound effect, Jeanmario offered his own praises to the eye-patched girl sitting across from him.

Yvette L Lehrman.

"I'll be waiting for that big fat cheque at the end!"

"As long as you use that Mystic Eye on our idiot producers!"

The girl chuckled.

Sitting at the table, she began piling breakfast foods onto her plate as she changed the subject.

"So, are you looking for any Mystic Eyes in particular, Jeanmario? The ones we saw yesterday seemed pretty impressive."

That's right.

In the end, they were headed toward an auction. The killing of a single servant would hardly throw that off course. With new guests arriving today, she wanted to get a grasp on the intentions of the serious bidders that had arrived on day one.

"What if I told you? Aren't we opponents in this auction? It's not like we can split our winnings."

"No no, I'm not interested in getting Mystic Eyes transplanted at all. After all, I've already got something like this. Tadah! Lehrman's Artificial Mystic Eye~!"

From behind the eye patch that she lifted, a glittering jewel peaked out.

Not an eye with the rank of Jewel, but the actual thing. Manufacturing jewels into high ranking Mystic Eyes was the secret art of the Lehrman family.

"Hmm."

"I'm only interested in Mystic Eyes for research. The Rail Zeppelin offers after care as well, so once you've bought what you want, even if you want to wait for a bit, coming to our place so we can study it after the transplant is more than enough for us. I think there's plenty of room for us to work together."

This was different than the conversation he had had with Hishiri.

As a deal between individual magi, for someone like her who was likely working at the behest of the Faculty of Law, there wasn't really any room to negotiate.

"That Animusphere girl is still technically wielding the authority of a Lord. She might try and just scoop up everything herself..."

"Haha, exactly!"

Though they couldn't expect much from the struggling El-Melloi family, both Animusphere and the Faculty of Law had ample funds to attempt for a clean sweep. If that was the case, they would need to be able to spin on a dime, maneuvering together to secure any sort of powerful Mystic Eyes that they were looking for. That was the tactic of Yvette, whose only interest was in a subject to study, not in any particular set of Mystic Eyes.

"Not a bad idea," Jeanmario scratched his chin.

"And what about you, old man? If you're selling, is there anyone you're hoping will buy?"

"...not particularly. I'm not that interested in the money, anyways."

Waving a hand at the old man sitting apart from them, Karabo answered with a taciturn shake of his head.

At that moment,

"Hm?"

"-what?"

The announcement played through the room's speakers.

Chapter 4 Part 4

Chapter 4

Part 4

"-We have an announcement to make for our guests," the broadcast came over the speakers.

"The Rail Zeppelin has been diverted from its intended course. At current estimates, we will be entering a Child of Ainnash in approximately thirty minutes."

The conductor's composed voice rang in the air.

The meaning of that announcement was then made clear.

"With our sincerest apologies, we must ask that each guest take measures to assure their own safety until the time of the auction."

"...wha-" I blurted out.

In short, 'we're going somewhere terribly dangerous, good luck.' 'You probably won't be safe even in the train, just so you know.'

Not just me, but both Caules and Olgamarie wore shocked expressions.

It was an entirely impossible to predict scenario. Even just to think that the Rail Zeppelin itself would suffer such a diversion.

"Is this the culprit's work? Or something to do with Hephaestion?"

"I don't know. For all we know, they are the same person," Caules' voice grated.

"But...it seems this isn't just a murder incident anymore..."

With a clunk, the train lurched to the side.

Clinging to the headboard of her bed, Olgamarie's expression changed as she pointed outside.

"Look-"

As we followed her finger, Caules and I both caught our breath.

"It's...snowing..."

Mixed with the fog from before, it had begun to snow.

In moments, the gently falling snow became a violent blizzard. Like the silvered breath of God, the intensity continued to mount. Was this a result of the Child of Ainnash the announcement had mentioned? With the entire situation suddenly turned on its head, it was clear this was no case of a simple false report.

A grinding sound filled the room.

The sound of teeth.

"...so according to that announcement, we just need to survive until the auction."

"Miss Olgamarie..."

"Just so you know, I'm not your ally or anything. Animusphere's debt to you has already been repaid," she bit off.

Standing up, she began to leave. With a wave of her silver hair,

"I'll do it myself. I'm fine on my own. No...it'll be easier if I'm alone. Trisha taught me how to fend for myself well enough. But more importantly..."

Turning around, she settled her gaze on the bed.

"Can you really keep him safe through this?"

I couldn't answer. All I could do was watch as she left the room.

It was just like she said. The murder incident, the auction, even the attack from that Servant all seemed suddenly distant. If the announcement was correct, we would be barrelling straight into hell - and my master, Lord El-Melloi II, was still so injured as to be unconscious.

All I could do was stand there in shock.

Interlude and Afterword coming within the hour.
    Last edited by TwilightsCall; February 4th, 2020 at 03:42 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Interlude

Interlude

-let us turn the clock back slightly.

The day before.

The second day Gray and her companions spent on the Rail Zeppelin.

In the lobby of Norwich's main building on Slur Street, a furious voice rang out.

"Whatever, just get out of my way! The only one I need to speak to is Reines El-Melloi Archisorte-"

(Whew, that's a lot of blood) Reines thought with a scowl as the guest began to vomit.

That was someone who would vomit blood from only a little exertion. Stand? Vomit. Walk? Vomit. Run? They'd look like a bloodstained zombie. While it looked fine enough from the outside, without hematopoietics, he'd be dead within a day.

To be honest, at this point she just wanted to pretend she wasn't around, but it seemed that wouldn't work.

After a while, the young man burst through her door, violin case in hand.

"Miss! What is going on here-" he tried to say, before being interrupted by more vomiting.

"First of all, sir, please clean that up."

Offering only a cold reception, Reines tidied up the documents she had been looking over.

About a third of the work of the Lord came to her like this. When her brother wasn't around, that number jumped to basically one hundred percent, so it typically left her in a desperate situation. And even though she technically had the time for this, this was someone she didn't want to give even a second to.

"I'm afraid my brother is absent. If you would like to leave a message, I would be happy to take it for you."

"No, not that! Why did my good friend Waver not tell me he was going to the Rail Zeppelin?!"

"Because it's none of your business, probably."

"No! As the person responsible for your Source Crest, and since you're using his body as collateral - no, just because I'm his friend, you have an obligation to tell me that much! That's why I told you that Waver was acting strange!"

Puffing himself up, he struck his chest with a fist...apparently too hard, as it sent him into a coughing fit.

So you're the one who gave him the money to make it to Japan for the Fourth Holy Grail War, she thought, though she didn't say anything. For someone as inexperienced and friendless as her brother had been at that time, it was impressive how much that decision had changed the course of the entire Clock Tower's history. To think that the history of magecraft was completely changed over the decision of whether to buy a ticket or not was enough to make one laugh, but the rest of history was like that too, wasn't it?

That's right.

At this point, this was the only person who called him Waver. The reason he hadn't been completely crushed when he took over the El-Melloi Classroom back then was this man alone.

His name was Melvin Weins. He was the same age as her brother at around thirty. His colourless white hair and eyelashes gave the impression of an albino. With his pale blue eyes and frustratingly well put together features, he likely would have stood out even as a movie star. And on top of all of that, he belonged to a branch family of one of the Three Great Aristocratic families. If it hadn't been for his naturally weak body, who knows how far above his current position of a Fes ranked Tuner he would have reached?

With a sigh, Reines shook her head.

"Unfortunately, even I was only informed he was attending the Rail Zeppelin a few days ago. At any rate, a single invitation to that train only permits two attendants. Apparently he selected two of his students this time, so as you can see I've been quite busy with paperwork."

"In that case, it can't be helped. I'll just have to go alone," the man said.

In response, Reines tilted her head.

"You? Alone? ...oh, you are-"

"Yes! While I couldn't go for the Holy Grail War or those other recent incidents due to my condition, I've been feeling better recently. I should have no problem going out for a few days!"

He flashed his brilliant white teeth.

At the same time, he showed off a white envelope proudly.

"Of course, my family went to all extremes to acquire an invitation to the Rail Zeppelin! Even by myself, I must go see Waver's sobbing face for myself!"

That's right.

This man was certainly Waver's "friend." But that didn't necessarily mean he was Waver's "ally." If that were the case, he never would have sent her brother off to participate in something as dangerous as the Holy Grail War. In a way, he was a greater intellectual criminal than even Reines, and a greater prankster than even Flat.

"So, let's hurry! The sooner the better! The starting bell has already rung!

With a bright voice, the young man - Melvin made his grand declaration.

Outside the window, a helicopter he must have called, whipping up a powerful wind, floated into view.

Afterword

Afterword

Makoto Sanda

-a single look was like a poisoned arrow.

That circulating poison was the essence of night.

The love of heroes, the death of a great god, all as those eyes wished.

Mystic Eyes.

That alluring gadget starred in the opening work of the world of Type Moon.

'As long as it lives, even if its God Himself, I can kill it.' Those Mystic Eyes of Death Perception, born by the main characters of Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai, fascinated many a reader.

That was the rebirth of a myth, wasn't it?

It would be no exaggeration to say the Evil Eye was the oldest magic humanity, and in that moment it gained new life. Even after ten years with my own work "Rental Magica," the lure of Mystic Eyes still pulls me strongly.

That's why the setting of the
    Rail Zeppelin
    Mystic Eye Collecting Train
    was always one I quietly hoped would make it into the "Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files." Fortunately, since I had no plans to write it in another work should it fail to make it into this one, I was able to make it happen. ...huh? In Volume 1, I had said no one else planned on writing anything about Lord El-Melloi II, but didn't he show up as the main character in some FGO event? Adults don't lie. They are just, ever so rarely, wrong. After that, all I can say is that there are no plans.

From here on out, there will be a few spoilers.

--------------------Spoilers---------------------------

From the beginning, I had hoped these Case Files would serve as a way to connect the old Type Moon with the new, but I feel like that came across stronger in this work.

The Rail Zeppelin itself was also the same, but the "woman" that showed up in the latter half was someone modelled after the Fourth Holy Grail War Kinoko Nasu had vaguely drawn up even before giving the task of writing it to Gen Urobuchi. Beyond her gender, the idea of her chariot being drawn by a species of dragon was also part of the original idea. Of course, there are some necessary changes that will have to happen...from now on, I will have to do that myself.

With Caules and Olgamarie, and even Waver's close friend that Reines alluded to a few times coming in at the end, with how much weight has been built up behind the scenes with the setting of the Clock Tower, I feel like I've barely been able to put a tenth of it on the page.

-------------------End of Spoilers---------------------

Keeping pace with a unique character like Lord El-Melloi II feels like carefully examining a terribly old, terrifyingly thick magic tome page by page. No man is an island, but especially in his case, he is wrapped up in so much thanks to the position of Lord being forced on him.

If we just lined up the things he should know, and the people he should recognize by virtue of him being a Lord, I wonder how far that spider web would stretch? My wish is that this novel will help unravel that mystery, while maintaining an enchanting tale.

The series has sort of reached a turning point here.

With this, the second half of "Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files" will begin. Please look forward to watching as Lord El-Melloi II, along with Gray, Flat, and the rest of the El-Melloi Classroom, come to terms with the new incidents they will be facing.

Finally, I would like to share my appreciation for Mineji Sakamoto, for coming up with so many new character designs for me, Kiyomune Miwa for courteously investigating and explaining the complicated matters of magecraft for me, Yuuichiro Higashide and Hikaru Sakurai for working with me on the minor adjustments to the characters of Caules and Olgamarie that appeared in their many works, Ryogo Narita, and finally Kinoko Nasu, OK SG, and the rest of the staff at Type Moon.

I hope to see you again this winter.

June, 2016

While playing "Witch on the Holy Night."

PS: Some particularly avid fans of Type Moon may have noticed a 'typo' in the Kanji for the name Mystic Eye Collecting Train. This change was an intentional, stylistic choice. Please think of it as just a weird Japanese translation.

And with that we are done Volume 4.

Volume 5 will start whenever I feel like it, which means I probably won't even look at it until next week at the earliest.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wow great job. How did you get this finished so quickly?
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Asunder's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Now that he mentioned it, I remembered hearing that Magic Circuits could be used like a kind of computer for recording and storing information. Perhaps Mystic Eyes operating under Predictive Foresight used the same principle.
    Have we seen an demonstration of this anywhere? It's separate from what Atlas does right?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Asunder View Post
    Have we seen an demonstration of this anywhere? It's separate from what Atlas does right?
    Shirou using his circuits to make and store blueprints.

"You said you will save the girl, right?"
    He laughs while the sword roars.
    I eliminate the three remaining blueprints in my circuit and concentrate on reading his sword.
    In Clocktower 2015, Lev saying high level magi can use their circuits to emulate smartphone functions.

The Greater Grail literally being made from Justeaze's circuits and functioning in some ways like a computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Wow, I really will be able to read volumes 4 and 5 after my exams at this rate. Which is great cause I'm really excited for 6

Taste the Rainbow
    it seems will be grazing against a Child of Ainnash. -> it seems we will be

amazing work, take a break

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by All fictions View Post
    Many, many thanks for the very fast translation!
    What more can I say?

This was really well done at an amazing speed, I hope you rest after this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

epub of vol 4

Mediafire
    Mega

Translation too fast I didn't get the change to read and check the epub
    Last edited by cereal_; February 13th, 2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Finished reading the volume and fixed the mistakes