Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 125257606162636467 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1388

Thread: Lord El Melloi II Case Files

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    What were some of the toughest parts for you to translate TwilightsCall, out of all 4 currently fully translated volumes?

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Probably Waver's lectures.

They aren't all bad, but long stretches of monologue that often involve lots of proper names and slightly more difficult language than usual. They're not usually a stopping point, but they do tend to slow everything down when they pop up. It's especially bad when it's about something inane and completely unrelated to the story, like Waver's lecture on make-up (???) in Book 2.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Waver is the type of teacher I can see myself just excusing myself and never coming back when he starts his fucking tangents. Shut the fuck, less than half of what you say actually helps!

I find his lectures fascinating, but I'm a nerd.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Same tbh. And I learn (some) stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, so I figured I'd give you guys a kind of news update as such.

First and foremost, while I haven't yet started on Volume 5, I have not entirely been idle. Some astute viewers have already noticed that I've been working together with gum to get the Case Files Materials Glossary translated. I'll post a link in the OP, but for those of you who are too lazy to go all the way back there, you can find the whole glossary in the TMDict database (at tmdict.com). A direct link to just the Case Files Glossary is right here. Fair warning, the glossary obviously includes TONS OF SPOILERS for the plot of Case Files, up to and including all of Volume 10. If you want to avoid being spoiled on anything past the current English translation, I suggest you exercise extreme caution in browsing it.

If you notice any mistakes or issues in the entries, feel free to PM me, or use the Contact page on TMDict (which will not go to me, but is a more direct way to report typos and the like). I would ask that you not post corrections in this thread, as I don't want to risk spoilers for people who have avoided them so far.

If you want to discuss the glossary in a free-range spoilers allowed environment, I suggest you use the other Case Files thread, so you don't have to worry about juggling spoiler tags. I'll be keeping an eye on that thread to answer any questions you may have, so feel free to post them there!

As far as Volume 5 translation goes, I'm hoping to start relatively soon - perhaps the next day or two, but at the very least I want to start by next week. I can't promise it'll go super fast like Volume 4 did, but if I don't get any work in the next month or so, I suppose it's technically possible. Either way, I think you can expect a prologue in the next couple days, with the first parts of Chapter 1 coming probably next weekend at the earliest.

I apologize for the long silent couple months for those of you who have been waiting for Volume 5. Your patience should be rewarded soon!

US Friend Code
    Oh wow, I totally didn't expect the mats to ever see translation beyond some bullet point summaries. You're awesome!

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yokushi View Post
    I find his lectures fascinating, but I'm a nerd.
    I absolutely love those as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Thank you very much for the glossary and the news about future updates.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Oh so you were involved in its translation? Many thanks, I had been gathering every scraps of info, so that's a lot more convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    First and foremost, while I haven't yet started on Volume 5, I have not entirely been idle. Some astute viewers have already noticed that I've been working together with gum to get the Case Files Materials Glossary translated. I'll post a link in the OP, but for those of you who are too lazy to go all the way back there, you can find the whole glossary in the TMDict database (at tmdict.com). A direct link to just the Case Files Glossary is right here. Fair warning, the glossary obviously includes TONS OF SPOILERS for the plot of Case Files, up to and including all of Volume 10. If you want to avoid being spoiled on anything past the current English translation, I suggest you exercise extreme caution in browsing it.
    Thanks for the glossary, I was very curious since I've begun reading the novel!

Just a thing I wonder about. On "Iskandar" you've written "Ionian Hetairoi" for his Noble Phantasm. From what I knew "アイオニオン" should be the greek word "Aionion" (Αιονιον) wich means "eternal" and later on became the word "eon", so that the NP's name translated from greek should be "eternal companions". Sometimes I've read "Ionioi" in some translation (and I've wondered about them too tbh. As to why it's transliterated so even in official works and where it came from) but this time it's "Ionian".
    There was a particular meaning behind it?

So, who is the Red Demon? Is it Rin?
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

yes and looks like they changed it to Red Devil nice but since when is Rin a assassin?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EgoFra View Post
    Thanks for the glossary, I was very curious since I've begun reading the novel!

Just a thing I wonder about. On "Iskandar" you've written "Ionian Hetairoi" for his Noble Phantasm. From what I knew "アイオニオン" should be the greek word "Aionion" (Αιονιον) wich means "eternal" and later on became the word "eon", so that the NP's name translated from greek should be "eternal companions". Sometimes I've read "Ionioi" in some translation (and I've wondered about them too tbh. As to why it's transliterated so even in official works and where it came from) but this time it's "Ionian".
    There was a particular meaning behind it?
    The main reasons were 1) I don't know Greek and 2) to maintain consistency with other translations. Since TMDict is supposed to be a searchable database, we've done a lot of things to make finding things easier for people based on how terms appear in other works, especially official ones. I've been very lax on this for the novel translations because I'm stubborn, but for the database we put in a bit more effort to make it more accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxas View Post
    yes and looks like they changed it to Red Devil nice but since when is Rin a assassin?
    There are a number of assassins seeking to kill Waver through prolonged stomach pain.

Literally over the moon right now knowing that the CF Mats are getting translated. Thanks once again for all your hard work!

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    The main reasons were 1) I don't know Greek and 2) to maintain consistency with other translations. Since TMDict is supposed to be a searchable database, we've done a lot of things to make finding things easier for people based on how terms appear in other works, especially official ones. I've been very lax on this for the novel translations because I'm stubborn, but for the database we put in a bit more effort to make it more accessible.
    I understand.
    Thank you again for your work and the answers!

Speaking of the glossary, in Luvia's entry, it says "Her marriage has already been arranged" right after stating Luvia has a younger twin. Is the subject pronoun "her" referring to Luvia or her sister?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Imouto
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Cool. I was wondering for a sec if Luvia was just coming onto Shirou for luls. Not that she isn't, but...

Also, it is interesting that Luvia is not one to care for CT politics. I definitely have to rewrite portions of a fic I've got going...
    Last edited by SirGauoftheSquareTable; April 12th, 2020 at 03:09 AM.

In all seriousness, the little sister being all comfortably set up explains Luvia's general cavalier attitude towards marriage and relationships in general. She has no real obligations towards continuing the line.