Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 135358616263646568 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1388

Thread: Lord El Melloi II Case Files

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Happy Easter everyone!

Maybe not as significant as if the project had been dead, but starting anew on Easter Sunday seems somewhat fitting, don't you think?

Prologue

Prologue

I knew this wasn't real. There was no way this scene would happen in real life.

It appeared to be some sort of shore. But rather than the calm, gentle feeling that word would imply, the tremendous amounts of spray from the sea drowned out my vision. The avalanche of seawater, stretching out even to the horizon, made even the word "tremendous" seem somehow insufficient. The echoing sound of falling water hurt my ears to the point I thought they might break.

There were no clouds in the sky, nor was there wind on the land. The falling seawater was all there was.

A place at the very edge of the world, so far removed from the lives of ordinary people.

In short,

"...the sea at the end of the world," I murmured.

Was the fact that spear also bore the name of "at the end of the world" really just a coincidence?

Did this place, as well as that spear, not act as some sort of regulation for the concept of the Far Side, where humans couldn't reach?  As ridiculous as it may have been, those kind of thoughts dominated my mind. Reaching for it precisely because it's unreachable - "
    To Philotimo
    Glory lies beyond the horizon
    " - this place seemed like it was shaped by the remnants of an era that held to those words.

The remnants of a dream.

A place one should reach.

"-no," a voice denied the thought. A voice so cold it made my breath catch. "No one ever reached this place."

The freezing over of those words was not just a metaphor. Before those words, the world instantly lost its character.
    As I watched, the waves turned white, and time came to a halt. The cascading sea water froze in place, and waves of ice all began to shatter. The spray that filled my vision became a cloud of icy dust, and in that singular moment, the world took on a different form.

Turning to look, I saw a single figure standing on what was once a beach. Though I couldn't make out her face as she hung her head, hatred seemed to drip from her long black hair, as if it was seeking to overtake the surging waves.

Oh sea, become ice.

Oh world, become still.

Before my will, bring everything into disgrace.

"My king," the figure spoke.

"My king," even though there was no one there to hear.

Yet still the roar echoed, as if the one who those words were meant for absolutely should have been there.

"Why did you seek after such a thing? Why could you not let this go? You must have known it was just a dream. Why couldn't you let it stay a dream?!"

Overflowing with ferocity, the accusations nevertheless were mixed with both love and anger. Hearing those screams boil up, even I felt myself grow dizzy.

Unable to stand, at the same time a new thought crossed my mind.

-whose dream was this?

-who am I, watching this dream?

With that woman standing tall before me, my mind was filled with those questions.

That's right, that woman's name was...

(...Hephaestion...?)

As my splintered consciousness spat out that name, another roar rocked the world.

"Answer me, Iskandar!"
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

Thank you, Mr. Case Files... narmbo's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    ABSOLUTE LEDGE!!!! THE MADMAN DOES IT AGAIN!!! reading it right now, thanks for your hard work as usual! and you said it was going to take long.

Blog Entries
    More CF is always appreciated. And you even gave the glossary some attention, nice.

Happy Easter folks.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    There were a lot of formatting errors when I proofread this. I fixed all the ones I saw, but apologies in advance if anything slipped through.

Chapter 1 Part 1

Chapter 1 Part 1

My eyes snapped open.

Staring around at the luxurious room inside the gently shaking train car, it took a short time before I realized I was back in reality.

I had lost conciousness, maybe for a few seconds, or perhaps a few minutes.

I felt like I had just seen some sort of dream, but I couldn't remember it at all. I just felt terrible. It was a fairly often occurrence back in my hometown. I must have been drawn in by something nearby. On somewhere as infamous as the Rail Zeppelin, it wouldn't be strange at all for there to be any sort of mystical presence.

Pulling the covers up to hide my feelings, I muttered.

"...it's getting colder, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it looks like the heating isn't doing much good anymore," Caules responded, looking over at the fireplace in our room.

It had been a while since the Rail Zeppelin had entered the blizzard. The raging storm had painted over the world outside the window in monochrome. The sky was grey, and everything else was white. The unnatural fury of the storm was plainly obvious from the fact that even the train running through a closed-off world had to come to a stop.

Slowly, ever so slowly, the cold outside had begun encroaching on the interior.

Had the announcement earlier telling us to fend for ourselves been referring to this?

"The professor is...."

"...for now, he seems fine, but..."

Following Caules' gaze, I looked at the bed.

As he lay on the bed, my master's breathing was becoming faintly harder. We had since been changing his bandages and keeping the water hot, doing everything in our power to help, but it was hard to imagine this situation was good for his wounded body. The cold air seeping into the train wasn't just a temperature difference. It was like the breath of a demon, stealing the energy of the people within it. So my intuition told me.

Every second that passed shaved off another sliver of life.

Like the flame of a candle wavering in the breeze, my master's life was quivering.

I couldn't stand it. It felt like there was a stone caught in the back of my throat. I couldn't breathe properly, and it felt like some otherworldly hand was gripping my stomach. If it was going to feel like this, I'd rather it just took my heart and got it over with.

Olgamarie had yet to return.

I'll handle this myself. I'm fine on my own. Rather, it'll be easier by myself. Trisha taught me so I could handle myself, after all.

Having said that, maybe she had no intention of returning.

After deciding to try and help her, having her leave of her own accord was undeniably disheartening. Seemingly unconcerned with her departure, however, Caules just continued to split his attention between the blizzard outside and my sleeping master, his expression serious.

(...perhaps that's just how magi are...)

In a way, he had the nature of a magus in a way that exceeded even my own master's. Unlike Flat or Svin, his ability in magecraft wasn't that of a genius. Maybe that's why one could see the true nature of a magus so plainly in him, I thought.

(But which is correct?)

Maybe because of the cold, my thoughts just spun in circles.

Talent. Bloodline. Family. Skill. Attribute. Disposition. Magic Circuits and Magic Crests.

There were plenty of components that made up a magus. All the first rate magi I came across in my time with my master had all of those elements. First on the list was of course the Grand Touko Aozaki, but Lord Valueleta and the Butterfly Magecraft user Orlocke Caesermund could both definitely be described as first rate. Even so, my master definitely hadn't fallen behind them. Simply because he was inferior as a Lord, even Reines had evaluated him as a mediocre magus.

If that was true, what was the most important factor for a magus?

What was the most correct way of living for a magus?

With those useless thoughts spinning around in my head, I suddenly lifted my head.

Another person was now standing in our room.

"Gray?" It seemed Caules couldn't see her.

But I could definitely see - a pale woman, wrapped in crimson roses. Rather than having just appeared, she stood as if she had been there the entire time, and I had only just noticed her.

I was vaguely aware that the wind coming from the gap in the window was causing her rose-clad hair to sway.

"Who are...?" The conductor had mentioned her.

The owner's representative. Once the owner had departed, she had begun protecting the Rail Zeppelin. A person even the staff of the train rarely saw.

By the time I thought to look at the entrance of the room, she had already disappeared. Just as the first time I saw her, she vanished just as quickly as she had appeared.

In her place,

"Excuse me~!" Someone knocked on the door.

The voice was filled with an unmistakable vigor. Completely out of place in this unnatural blizzard and on board this train - or perhaps so astoundingly over the top to be perfectly appropriate - there was only one person who it could be.

In my place, Caules nodded and made his way to the door.

As he nervously cracked the door open, just as I had expected, a set of pink twintails now blocked the doorway.

"Heheheheh! It's Yvette~! Are you guys doing okay?"

"Sorry, we're kind of in the middle of something."

"Hey, don't be so cold! And don't just shut the door on me!" Though he tried to shut the door immediately, she slipped her foot in the way at just the right time. Looking up at the bespectacled young man, Yvette tilted her head to the side.

"Hmmm?! Are you trying to hide something in here?!"

"Of course not..."

"Heheheh! I've got the perfect, the surprising, the Mystic Eye of Sympathy! You can't hide anything from me!" With a proud laugh, Yvette slid her eyepatch up.

Underneath shone a polished jewel - a refined green malachite. Even as unstuded as I was, the glow shining from that jewel was obviously magical enough to make me swallow nervously. With a confident sniff she continued.

"Even without Mystic Eyes, others like Svin are always saying you smell square, or irritated or something like that, right? Mixing synesthesia with Bestial Magecraft is kind of annoying in its own way, don't you think?"

"If you understand we've got something going on here, then could you at least leave it up to your imagination for now?" Along with his cold response, Caules attempted to kick Yvette's foot out of the doorway, prompting her to continue in a rush.

"Waitwaitwaitwaitwait! Wait a second, come on! I have something I need to talk about! See, I even brought him along-"

"...that's correct," I felt someone else nod from outside the door.

Karabo Frampton. The old man from the Holy Church, with the Mystic Eyes of Hindsight. It appeared Yvette had brought him along.

"From the Church," Caules said with a wince, expectedly hesitant.

For Caules, who was used to the conflicts between magi, he seemed more than aware of the difficulty that would be had in dealing with members of that institution, which sought to eliminate Mystery itself from the world.

"Or would you rather we just yelled at you from out here?!"

Though that just made me want to comment on how she already was yelling at us, it was hard to deny that the longer this took, the worse off we'd be. Reluctantly, Caules finally let the door swing open.

"...fine. Come on in."

As if giving up, he invited the two of them inside.

Waltzing into the room triumphantly, Yvette's eyes immediately went wide.

"Professor! What happened!" Waving her hands energetically, she rushed over to his bed.

Because my master was lying on his side. The fact he wasn't just sleeping was plainly obvious from his strained breathing. Though we wiped clear his sweat from time to time, there was no way he could look like he was in good condition.

"It was an accident, of sorts," Caules explained curtly.

"Was that...by the same person who killed Trisha?"
    "We don't know," he answered truthfully. Perhaps because of her Mystic Eye of Sympathy, he had decided there was no point in trying to deceive her. That being said, hesitating to give her any unnecessary information like that they had been attacked by a Servant, he had decided it was better to just speak as little as possible.

"So, what do you want?"

"Hm, well, the train is stopped now, right?" As Caules tried to get to the point, Yvette pointed at the floor with a bitter smile.

Returning our attention to the unmoving train, she continued.

"At this rate, the Mystic Eye Auction will be significantly delayed - or depending on circumstances, this year's auction might be cancelled altogether. So we're collecting people."

"The auction?" Now that she mentioned it, I remembered there was one time when the auction was cancelled.

Apparently it had something to do with Touko Aozaki and her familiar. It was probably the same incident that caused the original owner to disappear. -if it happened once, it could happen again. At least, thinking like that was perfectly normal.

"...for me, this auction is a matter of life and death," Karabo spoke up in a dry voice.

"As I mentioned earlier, my intention is to sell my Mystic Eyes. I can't wait until next year. Of course, even without the auction, there is still a possibility of having them removed, but there are too many uncertainties in that. I can't afford to sit around and do nothing."

"But wouldn't the staff here be willing to just buy them from you for now?" I asked, to which he gently shook his head.

"...the staff here are, for the most part, entirely uninterested in Mystic Eyes."

"What?" I instinctively blurted out.

"But, this is the Rail Zeppelin, right? The Mystic Eye Collecting Train? Even if the original owner is no longer here, they plan on continuing the auction, right?" On top of that, from what I had heard, they even went so far as to forcibly take the Mystic Eyes they were interested in from those who were unwilling to part with them. How could a staff that was willing to go that far not be interested in Mystic Eyes?

"To put it simply, the staff here are only interested in continuing the work," Yvette added.

"Though it was originally an auction set up so their master could show off her collection of Mystic Eyes, with that master gone, they are just continuing the auction without any underlying purpose. As such, it wouldn't be that surprising if they called it off if things went even a little wrong, right? Rather, it would be more natural that they wouldn't want to continue the auction at all unless conditions were perfect, in memory of their old master."

I listened, dumbfounded. Their objective and their methods were completely opposite. The fact their master had begun the auctions just to show off her collection was surprising enough, but the idea that the staff were continuing it without any meaning was even more astounding. Iti was like a computer running a program. Like the gears of an ancient clock, marking time in perpetuity. Falsely similar to the life of a magus, it was an entirely hollow existence.

No.

To avoid any misunderstandings, it was something they had to do. I wasn't at a loss for words because it was so hard to believe. It was the opposite. I understood it all too well.

(...just like my home...)

Even though the meaning was lost, the act was continued to the present day - in a way, I was the result of that behavior.

"We talked to Jeanmario earlier," Yvette said, crossing her arms with a frown.

He didn't seem to care, taking an "if it's late, then it's late" attitude.

Depending on the situation aboard the Rail Zeppelin, the expectations and relationships between the participants of the auction would change over time. For someone like me who was somewhat antisocial, those kinds of relationships already seemed like some sort of mysterious magecraft, but for someone like Yvette who was comfortable calling herself a spy within the complicated network of power and authority within the Clock Tower, it must have been like second nature to her.

"Alright, I understand. The train being stopped is also an issue for us," Caules spoke, almost bored.

"But what do you plan to do about it?" In response to the boy's question, old man in a priest's robes nodded slowly.

"I know a little bit about this forest. ...within the Holy Church, it's a topic that comes up now and again."

"In the Holy Church?"

"Yes. The main body of this forest - Ainnash is said to be controlled by a certain Dead Apostle."

"...a Dead Apostle," Caules repeated.

"Ainnash. An independently thinking, predatory creature, it is speculated to be a Reality Marble controlled by a high level Dead Apostle of the same name. Appearing once every fifty years or so, it attacks groups of people, using a huge amount of magical energy in order to nourish the fruit at its center."

Dead Apostle. A name repeated a number of times on this train, one of the bloodsucking species.

It was only natural the Holy Church would have some knowledge of them. They were an organization that opposed the Dead Apostles even more severely than they opposed the Magic Association. They saw Dead Apostles as an existence opposed to Humanity itself.

(...ah.)

And there was one more fact I finally recognized.

Even more than the magi on board, the staff of this auction run by a Dead Apostle must have been even more nervous about the intentions of a person from the Holy Church joining the auction.

"You said it nourished a fruit with magical energy?"

"How magus-like of you. You understand what that means?" With a bitter smile, Karabo explained.

"That fruit is the reason this demonic forest gathers people. There's also the fake legend that whoever eats it beomes immortal."

At Karabo's words, Caules and I both caught our breath.

Even more absurd than the idea of magecraft - to that phenomenon like one might see in a child's fairy tale, we had no response.

(...it's almost like...)

It was an illusion almost like that Heroic Spirit we happened to meet yesterday.

At the same time, when put in the same breath as the words Dead Apostle, it was impossible to deny the possibility no matter how absurd it was. On top of that, if it was also spoken of within the Holy Church, there must have been some truth to it.

Karabo continued.

"I said it was fake, but no one has ever eaten that fruit. However, apparently when the fruit becomes fully mature, it begins to drip blood. Even though no one has ever eaten it, that alone was enough to start a rumor about immortality. Some of those drops become seeds, and after a period of time, they evolve into a different form than that of their parent. -the Children of Ainnash are the end result of that. It seems this Child has chosen ice and snow," he finished, looking out the window.

Finally, the story came together. In short, as a result of this fight between Dead Apostles, this frozen forest had attacked us.

"...normally, Dead Apostles rarely interfere with each other's territory, but it appears the owner of the Rail Zeppelin has been missing for some time. And it's not like the Child of Ainnash is being managed by someone either. It's not particularly strange that they would eventually butt heads."

"I see..."

If that was the case, then was that pale woman's appearance - the appearance of the Manager's Representative so that we might hear this information?

(...I wonder...)

As my thoughts started to stray into wild delusions, I decided to put a stop to them for now.

As I had learned in the previous incidents, when I overthought things, I just made the situation worse. Rather than getting lost in the labyrinth of my own thoughts, I was better off just accomplishing the small things I was capable of doing one at a time.

After a long period of silence, Caules spoke up again.

"So in the end, how do you plan on getting out of this forest?"

"According to the conductor, if we can find a leyline, we'll be able to start moving right away."

The last time the train had stopped, I had been told that the Rail Zeppelin ran over leylines. It appeared as if the train coming to a stop here was because of that same rule.

A black blade suddenly extended from Karabo's fist.

It was the same Black Key that he had used to knock out Olgamarie when she had grown hysterical after Trisha's death.

"The train's inability to follow the leylines is a result of the forest's magical meddling. So, if we go ahead on foot to find that main leyline and lay out markings to guide the train forward, escaping the forest shouldn't be that difficult."

It sounded logical to me.

But that meant we would have to go out into that blizzard, into the forest itself. If what Karabo said was correct, then the entire land here was a thinking creature, a demonic forest intent on devouring people.

"So? Will you help us?" Yvette said, her lone eye shining.

I couldn't respond right away.

My body was trembling right down to its core. Images of Trisha's body continued to flicker in the back of my mind. Her head completely removed. A truly merciless way to die.

These two were no doubt still suspects.

Even so, would we help them to explore this frozen forest? This was a situation that had long since lost any semblence of sanitiy. Rather than talking about shouldering the risk, it felt more like acting suicidal. If my master was awake, he would no doubt tell us we should stay here, safe in our room.

But,

"...okay," I nodded.

"Gray?"

"If we don't do something about this cold, our master won't make it," I answered Caules without turning to look at him. To be honest, I had no idea what kind of expression I was wearing. All I knew was that my teeth were rattling.

A deep sigh. Was he that surprised? For some who was, unlike me, a true student of my master, my agreeing to cooperate with them may have looked incredibly foolish to Caules. For a magus, maybe it was better to be as heartless as possible.

But instead, Caules just replied with an indifferent air.

"Got it. In that case, I'll focus on treating the Professor. Just give me five minutes to check if I have anything that might help you out."

Opening his bag, he began to pull out all sorts of Talismans and catalysts.

Only able to stare dumbly, I blinked repeatedly.

"Caules?"

"I don't know what that expression is for, but being generous to your allies is also the mark of a magus. At least, up until the last minute."

As Caules spoke with an awkward laugh, I finally noticed a slight tremble in his hand.

I finally realized I wasn't the only one here struggling to keep on top of their fear. Relaxing my stiffened body, I let out a long breath.

"Ihihihihi! Looks like you found something you can do after all, huh?!"

Though Add spoke softly enough that only I could hear it, I pressed down on my right shoulder to shut him up by force just in case. While I was a little happy to have a friend by my side to watch over me, it was too annoying to let him speak.

"...actually," Caules suddenly spoke up.

"When Animusphere's servant - when Trisha Fellows' body was found, was there anyone that seemed somewhat flustered?"

"Hm? Well, I was never actually there, I suppose," Yvette replied, tilting her head to the side. Combined with her appearance, that behavior made it seem like she was messing with us, but for now we had no choice but to trust her. Because regardless, with my master unconscious, there were only so many options left available to us.

"Let's go. To the Child of Ainnash."

Chapter 1 Part 2

Chapter 1 Part 2

Ultimately, our first foray into the forest lasted about five minutes.

Before we could set up the first marker, we found a person collapsed in the forest, in a dense thicket near the train.

Under a thick layer of ferns, the figure had a healthy pile of snow on top. At Karabo's suspicious touch, the layer of snow slid off, revealing the person underneath.

"...and this is?" Karabo said in a calm baritone.

It wasn't someone I recognized. His hair and eyebrows were white enough to blend into the snow. His tall frame and slender limbs gave the impression of someone in their late twenties. He had a face that would probably make nine out of every ten passersby turn and look.

But there was a different reason we were staring at him.

Clasped in his slim fingers was a violin case...and a crumpled envelope.

"Is this an invitation? So, he was invited to the Rail Zeppelin?"

"Uh, umm..." Yvette frowned. As her gaze wandered over to me,

"Bleaerhg!" The snow covered young man vomited blood.

The pure white snow was suddenly dyed red, a colour that was rapidly spreading. I reflexively cried out at the sudden vivid red spreading right before my eyes. Since I had met my master, I had come across all sorts of incidents, but it was the first time I had seen blood spew out like this.

"Is, is he dying?"

"...no no, I'm fine. I'm quite used to his. I've got my medicine, don't worry."

The pale faced young man raised his face with a bright smile.

"Huh? What? What?!"

"...sorry, hahaha. Just as I was thinking that it was getting kind of cold, suddenly I couldn't move my body anymore. If you are all guests on the Rail Zeppelin, could you do me a favour and carry me over there?" Despite the young man appearing to be on death's door, he spoke incredibly casually.

It was like being spoken to by a corpse. Despite his terribly pale face and purpling lips as he lay collapsed in the snow, his expression alone was like that of a man relaxing in a summer resort. The encounter being completely unexpected, both Yvette and Karabo were frozen in place.

As if in a daze, the beautiful young man continued to murmur dreamily.

"...yeah, yeah. That was dangerous, I was about to freeze to death. I need to tell Mom, then find some women to warm me up. ...yeah, this time a Hispanic girl sounds nice. Well, it would be hard to say no to a Russian girl for times like this, either. Actually, if I want to get warmed up, maybe a passionate Latina would be best? Women are all angels, but they all bring different kinds of happiness, don't they?"

"Oh, he's just a scumbag, then."

"Yes, just a scumbag."

With barely the space for a comma in between, Yvette and I shared our opinion. Just as I was thinking over whether we could get away with just leaving him here in the snow, his bright blue eyes looked up at me.

"Hmmm, you wouldn't happen to be that disciple Waver is always taking with him, would you?" My shoulders jumped.

"...you know me?"

"Hahaha, of course I do. I'm Waver's closest friend, after all!"

"Waver?" Wasn't that my master's real name? The actual identity behind Lord El-Melloi II, before that title had been branded on him by Reines.

"Umm, who are you?"

"Ah, right. My name is Melvibvrueaofrugbaiyog!" Once again, a huge amount of blood spewed from his mouth.

In the end, we ended up taking him back to the train.

Returning to the lobby car, after putting a cup of hot coffee in his hands, finally some semblence of human consciousness seemed to return to him.

"Ahahaha. Man, thank you. I appreciate you making the coffee for me, even after dragging me all the way here."

"...if you're an acquaintance of my master, I couldn't just leave you be."

Despite my emphasis, whether he heard me or not, he just kept sipping his coffee.

Looking at him like he was some sort of third rate conman, Yvette finally spoke.

"You're Melvin Weins?"

"Ah, you know me!" he snapped his fingers with a bright smile.

He then put a finger to his cheek as he closed one eye, in a way that was terribly annoying.

Yvette continued her questioning, not bothering to hide the suspicion in her voice in the slightest.

"For being a Tuner rumored to never step outside your Workshop, what brought you all the way here?"

"Ahahahaha, well. Recently I've been feeling pretty good. I heard Waver got invited to the Rail Zeppelin, so I wanted to come see it for myself. By the way, I invited Reines to come with me, but she just called me an idiot for trying to get her to leave while her brother was gone. So anyways, I tried to make it to the meetup point for the Rail Zeppelin, when suddenly a forest popped up out of the ground."

There was a small part of that I couldn't let go.

"You invited Reines? No, before that, a forest sprung up out of the ground?"

"Yeah! The wasteland just suddenly changed into a forest, like I was in a video game or something. Actually, it was quite the sight to behold."

Raising a finger gingerly, the young man - Melvin continued.

"In the end, some tentacle-like branches or something shot out from the forest and grabbed my helicopter. Ahaha, with the way they ripped apart the rotor blades and tore through the hull like it was paper, I fully expected I was going to die. But I managed to get out just before it crashed, and managed to scuttle my way out. Partway through that I happened to pass out, but luckily you all found me."

Watching him laugh brightly while clutching his blanket around himself, I felt my throat tighten. In short, this bizarre forest even had the ability to knock a helicopter out of the sky.

For magi, flight was incredibly difficult, so there shouldn't be anyone able to catch up to this train...so my master had said. But the fact a magus would pursue the train with a helicopter, and that it would be knocked out of the sky by a forest was no doubt something he had never even imagined.

As if an icicle had been dropped down my back, a chill ran up my spine.

Though I had heard similar things from Karabo, coming face to face with someone who had personally experienced it gave birth to a whole new kind of fear.

Turning away from the nonchalantly laughing young man, I whispered to Yvette.

"...who is this person?"

"He's from a family attached to the Three Great Aristocratic Families. But, since his body is weak, he switched over to being a Fes-ranked Tuner. I heard he was an old friend of the Professor, but..." Yvette replied, clearly annoyed.

For such a response from the girl who had happily declared herself as Meluastea's spy, he must have been a person that couldn't be taken lightly.

(A Tuner is...)

Someone who tunes Magic Crests, if I remembered correctly. Though they couldn't do such magnificent restorations as what we were told were possible at the Castle of Separation, they could apparently intervene in the natural process of transplanting Magic Crests to reduce the side effects on the recipient. Though I of course didn't know the details about any magecraft, I understood to some degree that it was a somewhat rare specialty within the Clock Tower.

"He's certified as the best Tuner in all of Great Britain. As far as conventional methods are concerned, there's barely anyone that can hold a candle to him when it comes to the recovery of Magic Crests."

"Unfortunately, that's a 'barely,' not a 'no one,'" Melvin interjected, scratching his cheek with a bitter smile.

After that, with a restless look around the gorgeous train car, he tilted his head ot the side.

"So, where's Waver?"

"...I'll take you to him." Standing up, I guided him from the lobby to our private room.

Though shocked at our much earlier than expected return, after giving a rough explanation of the circumstances, he nodded and pointed to my master, still on his side.

"...what an idiot," Melvin spoke calmly as he looked over my master, sweat beading on his sleeping forehead.

"Just like always, not a single thing has changed with this idiot. There are so many easier ways you could live your life, you know."

Why?

Even though he was such a suspicious person, those words sunk right through me. You could say because I completely agreed. It made me feel like this young Crest Tuner felt the same way I did.

Maybe that was naive of me, but I wanted to think so.

A cough sounded out from behind us.

"May I?" Karabo called out to us from behind.

"It seems he is not in any danger, so I feel as though we should return to our original goal. Considering he had crawled this close from his downed helicopter, the possibility that the exit to this forest is rather close."

"That's right."

Of course, there was also the possibility he was struck down because he came so close to the center of the forest, but there was no way of knowing either way from within the train.

"Hm. Since the Rail Zeppelin has stopped, you are trying to set up markers to guide it out," Melvin said, turning to us. His expression was, as always, a gentle smile that hid everything beneath it. "In that case, would you mind if I joined you?"
    Last edited by TwilightsCall; April 19th, 2020 at 02:05 AM. Reason: corrections

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Ah, Melvin, I can't believe the anime cut out his best lines about which type of woman would best warm him up! It's just so over-the-top and silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Thank you, Mr. Case Files... narmbo's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    part 1 errors
    It was only natural the Holy Church would have some knowledge of them. They were an organization that opposed the Dead Apostles even more severely than they opposed the Magic Association. They saw Dead Apostles as an existence opposed to Humanity itself.
    I believe it's "Mage's Association" that is typically used?

part 2 errors
    "Ahahahaha, well. Recently I've been feeling pretty good. I heard Waver got invited to the Rail Zeppelin, so I wanted to come see it for myself. By the way, I invited Reines to come with me, but she just called me an idiot for trying to get her to leave whle her brother was gone. So anyways, I tried to make it to the meetup point for the Rail Zeppelin, when suddenly a forest popped up out of the ground."
    while

don't know if this is the way to do it, but there's two errors i found.

spoilers
    "...what an idiot," Melvin spoke calmly as he looked over my master, sweat beading on his sleeping forehead.

"Just like always, not a single thing has changed with this idiot. There are so many easier ways you could live your life, you know."

Why?

Even though he was such a suspicious person, those words sunk right through me. You could say because I completely agreed. It made me feel like this young Crest Tuner felt the same way I did.

Maybe that was naive of me, but I wanted to think so.

these lines particularly struck me... i was excited for melvin but i didn't expect such a gut punch.
    also, hi, rest of the thread! if you saw the adra musical posted on this thread, i'm the person who bought it not once, but 3 times! it was my copy that was uploaded. i'm also getting the DVD soon. i've been thinking about doing a close captioning of the musical, but uh...song lyrics are hard...
    there's also an OST that comes with my copy, i believe-- i don't know if i can post it without the worry of a takedown, and i especially want to remain respectful to the musical production itself, but...y'know!

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the corrections!

While you are absolutely correct that Mage's Association is the term used more often, due to the fact that 1) 魔術協会 doesn't have the word 'mage' or 'magus' in it, and 2) the term 'mage' is never really used anywhere in Nasuverse stuff, I have been stubbornly refusing to adhere to that standard

A lot of the official terminology are bad translations. Sometimes it won't even be related to the Kanji or is needlessly complicated, like Maryoku being Magical Energy when something like Prana is a much better representation of Od+Mana and is less wordy. And since that translation exists, Aoko's bullets have to be named "magic bullets" which is just confusing as someone might interpret it as Magic instead of Magecraft.

And then Bounded Field and Reality Marble... ugh. Don't even get me started on those.

If BL decided one day to finally rid of this shit and make their own terminology standard instead of being tied down to the mess that is the official localizations of TM, I would support it 100%.

US Friend Code
    Reality Marble is the furigana used for 固有結界, it's as official as official gets.
    Magical energy may be wordy but prana doesn't work for maryoku because prana is already used for something else in Extra.

What is prana used for? I know prana only became a stand-in for magical energy because fandom, but what is it used for in Extra?
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

US Friend Code
    iirc Rani uses the word prana to describe life force somewhere in CCC, as in actual life force, not maryoku.

- - - Updated - - -

I might be wrong mind you

Well prana literally does mean "life force", while maryoku literally means "magic power" so one is closer than the other tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Reality Marble is the furigana used for 固有結界, it's as official as official gets.
    Yeah, that's what I mean. You can't just take the furigana and make it the word, removing the kanji. If you can see in the word, the "Bounded Field" kanji 結界 is contained within the word with the addition of 固有 which is commonly translated as innate. A Japanese person would be able to tell that you would READ it as Reality Marble as it is the furigana, but it MEANS Innate Bounded Field. An English man cannot. They would be staring at the word "Reality Marble" and not knowing what it means, or that its connected to Bounded Field in any way. Nasu is lucky because he explains the concept about 3x over so we would know anyway. If only he had an editor in those days.

I get that like localization or whatever has to make it strickly English so no ruby text/furigana, but at least make a note or something. If it was up to me I would keep the ruby text where necessary.
    Last edited by 4digitmen; April 19th, 2020 at 06:53 PM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    What is prana used for? I know prana only became a stand-in for magical energy because fandom, but what is it used for in Extra?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    iirc Rani uses the word prana to describe life force somewhere in CCC, as in actual life force, not maryoku.

- - - Updated - - -

I might be wrong mind you
    Here
    Quote Originally Posted by CCC
    Rani :: No. Though constructing a dining hall may be too much, I am in favor of a breakfast system. The exploration of the Labyrinth places large physical stress on Hakuno, after all. There is no problem with healing damage as it automatically recovers with rest, but the the replenishment of spiritual calories by consuming them as food gives increased spiritual power to the soul.

Leo :: Increased spiritual power to the soul…? You mean willpower?

Rani :: Yes. Vitality, or survival instinct. Dan t’ian, in Chinese thinking. In India, kundalini.

Rin :: Right, spiritual power, dan ti’an, and kundalini. Survival instinct is more desire to leave behind descendent and…Rani, what are you trying to say!?

Rani :: Did I say something strange? Prana is the foundation of the actions of living beings, and stimulating the chakras is…
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Question was the day of battles or whatever there called translated for every character? i hear olga has something wierd

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    Thanks for the corrections!

While you are absolutely correct that Mage's Association is the term used more often, due to the fact that 1) 魔術協会 doesn't have the word 'mage' or 'magus' in it, and 2) the term 'mage' is never really used anywhere in Nasuverse stuff, I have been stubbornly refusing to adhere to that standard
    I am with you 100% on this.
    That's why the anime's betrayal is so much more painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Question was the day of battles or whatever there called translated for every character? i hear olga has something wierd
    By You in this Twitter thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

I honestly wonder if Luvia's "Decisive Battle with the Jewel Magecraft King" refers to her eternal rivalry with Rin, though I doubt it. It would be kinda funny, if disappointing.

That is what it most likely refers to - the battle to decide who's the "king" of jewel magecraft.

What does decisive battle mean? Is that a typemoon thing or an anime culture thing in general? I've never really seen it used before outside the context of actual warfare.

Also.. Mel.. Melvin. I'm so glad he rendezvous with the gang so early into this novel.
    (spoilers for untranslated stuff but stuff that was in the anime)
    Spoiler:
    Extremely disappointed the tuning scene was changed for the anime to be.. fanservicey? Was that fanservice. I guess it's something minor but it always felt weird in tone, even for Yvette. Although her character's changed kinda significantly too, huh?
    Last edited by fearboss; April 21st, 2020 at 12:53 AM.