Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 343942434445464954 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord El Melloi II Case Files

Doing FGO seems like a waste of time really, somebody would do it anyways. Meanwhile it would be great to get vol.3 before anime airs since it's not covering first 3 volumes.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Mostly agree, though if Twilight wants to provide a good translation for the CF event, power to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu69 View Post
    Doing FGO seems like a waste of time really, somebody would do it anyways. Meanwhile it would be great to get vol.3 before anime airs since it's not covering first 3 volumes.
    *laughs in Shimosa and LB2*

Suure.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    that is a very diligent formatting in translation

o7
    I haz a patreon please support onegai
    Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    Chapter 4 Part 4

Chapter 4

Part 4

After that, a few hours passed.

The sun had set considerably, and the Tower of the Sun's shadow had stretched out to match it.

Unfortunately, it was hard to say that we had come to a satisfactory conclusion. All we had managed to accomplish was filling my brother's notebook with theories and hypotheses, and then crossing them all out as unacceptable.

"Thinking of the Sun as a stand-in for Helios in the formula is no good. On the other hand, using Selena or Nanna in place of the Moon and utilizing the attributes of the Sacred Beast strays too far from the starting point. The Towers are too large of a factor, leaving them as just a superficial cover doesn't make any sense."

"...Master?"

"No...the Sun and Moon aren't part of it after all...is that treasure really not part of this?"

My brother's honest monologue continued. To think that this pathetic expression came from the same man who had so gallantly intervened, facing down the head of one of the Three Great Familiesm, was a strain on the imagination.

"Hey hey, are you getting stuck on that again? Are you going to finish within Lord Byron's time limit if you keep going around in circles like this?"

From the start, clearing up the mystery and solving the incident was only a single card in the game. In order to clear the doubt around me, and release the captured Trimmau, a much more powerful move would be necessary. That was why Lord Byron had only allowed us to move within a certain time limit.

Getting tripped up at this stage was not helping.

"Yes. Well. Perhaps as far as this is concerned, we'd be better off waiting."

"Just waiting?"

"Well..." he mumbled back. His voice seemed to hold a terrible melancholy. It was the kind of voice he used when grappling with a very personal problem.

However, as his gaze wandered across the damp ground, his expression slightly wrinkled.

"Oh."

Suddenly, I felt a faint pain in my eyes.

The reason for that was immediately apparent.

From the trees a short distance away, the shadows began to grow. While it was certainly nearing evening, the direction the shadows were cast was entirely different than that of the Tower of the Sun, even discounting their unnatural length. On top of that, though the shadows stretched across the gently swaying grasses, they were motionless on top of them.

Silently, my brother removed the cigar from his mouth.

Whispering a small spell, the flame at the tip of the cigar grew. Laying that flame near the grass, he placed it in the unnatural shadow-

"Ow! Owowowowowowow!"

The shadow screamed.

Leaping up from the darkness was a golden haired, blue eyed boy. Desperately trying to extinguish the flame on the seat of his pants, he continued his crying as he turned to us.

"Ah, I was discovered!"

"...what are you doing here, Flat?"

"I did it, professor! In Japanese it's like, how do you do? Japan's greetings are pretty deep, kind of gives off a Buddhist feel don't you think?"

With a simple-minded innocence, the blonde boy spoke vigorously.

Most likely, what we had just seen was Illusion magecraft. Using shadows to hide one's own body was a popular style in Germany, if I recalled correctly. I didn't know where he had picked it up, but his ability to see and reproduce magecraft from a number of different disciplines spoke to his considerable skill.

And then.

"-Flat!" An angry voice called out from the road. The new arrival, another young man with pleasant features, ran up already in the process of chastising the first.

"I told you to hurry on ahead and tell them I was going to be late!"

"Ah, it's Le Chien!"

"Don't call me that! Sorry for keeping you waiting, Professor!"

Similarly blonde haired and blue eyed, the new arrivals more masculine, rugged features made a good contrast. You could say he was like a hunting dog. A delicate wildness peaked out from his sharp eyes, and his bow of greeting was done with professional elegance.

Svin Glascheit. The oldest student in
    Norwich
    the Faculty of Modern Magecraft.
    Paired with Flat Escardos, they were peerless as students.

...but of course, that only lasted a few moments before the situation collapsed again.

"Gray!"

Earning a jump from the trembling Gray, Svin immediately leapt to her side, sniffing at her like a dog.

"Oh, Gray, Gray, Gray! So sweet, and grey, and sharp, like a smell that will tear me up inside!"

"...p-please, stop!"

As if he couldn't hear Gray's resistance, another voice called out to distract him as he attempted to get his fill of her scent.

"Svin."

"...r-right!" At my brother's cold voice, Svin suddenly snapped to attention. "M-my apologies! It was the first time in a while I have been within 20 meters of Gray, so I kind of lost control!"

"You guys..." Giving the deepest sigh since he had arrived at this place, my brother covered his face with one hand.

Realizing something, I also turned to him.

"By the way, didn't you say you weren't going to be using your students like this?"

"That's what happens when you leave them to their own devices. I came across them getting their personal rooms in order...however, I believe I told you to message me your results, and that I specifically told you not to come to the actual scene. Am I right?"

"But Professor! Reines is in big trouble, right?! There's no way we could miss such an exciting event!"

...an exciting event, huh? Well then, he was going to have to die. After he helped us, I guess.

"There's no way I could let Flat come out here unsupervised."

In contrast, Svin's response came across like a true honour student.

Well, let's forget what happened between him and Gray just a moment ago. Pay no mind to the girl hiding behind me.

There wasn't even a shred of tension left. Rather, you could say things just got right back to normal. We were in the territory of a magus we couldn't call friendly, burdened with the suspicion of murder, having lost Trimmau, and were operating under a tight time constraint. Even so, somehow a breath of normalcy had entered the situation.

This was likely the 'power' that my brother had worked for years to cultivate in the Clock Tower. I don't know where he had picked it up, but for my brother who was so much like a true magus - he sure had a way of being very un-magus-like. Though he'd probably just come back with an excuse like "a magus always treasures his pupils," or something.

After things calmed down a bit, my brother turned to Svin.

"How did the investigation go?"

"Here you are." While his gaze flickered over to Gray repeatedly, he pulled out a piece of paper and handed it over.

"...I see," my brother said, nodding as he read the paper.

"What's this? The key to reversing our fortunes?"

"That's right. Though we are still missing a few pieces. We'll have to make our move now regardless, though."

Pressing a hand to his temple, he slowly stood.

His jet black coat waveed in the breeze.

His red muffler fluttering behind him, he set out with bold steps, his pupils in tow.

"Now, shall we start preparing for the coming battle?"

Chapter 4 Part 5

Chapter 4

Part 5

For a moment, let's change the stage.

A fair distance from the Twin Towers, in the State Room of a hotel near Windermere Station.

In the stunningly resplendent room, the newest model of cell phone was being held up.

Not by the person using it. A maidservant, skin bedecked in all manner of gems, held it aloft, as the young man that owned it spoke in a listless voice.

"Then, everything is in order, Lord Valueleta?"

The man had a darkly tanned complexion. His blonde hair reached down to his chest, and beautiful golden rings hung about his neck.

"That's right. As far as this incident is concerned, your intervention is strictly unnecessary."

A brief moment after the response, the tanned young man signalled the girl to cut the call.

"...good," he gently squeezed his hand into a fist.

As far as he was concerned, the only enemy he feared was that Lord Valueleta. He had no concern for the rest of the riffraff, but in the end he could not afford to ignore a head of one of the Three Great Families. While the fact that she was old was enough of an obstacle, the years also had something to say about her magecraft.

But now, that obstacle was gone. There was no longer any object worthy of fear within the Twin Towers. Neither was there a need to get involved in that stupid murder investigation. All that was left was to go in with brute force and take what he wanted.

"Shall we move on to the harvest, then? If we're going to win, we'll need a method, after all. It's time to make Iselma regret refusing to work with us."

Looking around at the serving women arrayed around him, the man laughed. At the same time, one of them whispered into his ear.

"Then, you will go in person?"

"Yes. Doing it myself will ensure everything is done thoroughly, no? I have no intention of just joining in on the game, like that Lord El-Melloi." His lips curling into a sneer, as he declared it with pride. "That's not how Atram Galiasta works, is it?"

Afterword

Afterword, by Makoto Sanda

It was the ultimate beauty.

Beyond where any could encroach, untouchable by any threat.

Perched atop a mountain no human could ever climb, and yet a concept none but a human could conceive.

One of the strengths of writing novels is the ability to express 'a beauty beyond pictures.' The essence of something that could never exist in real life can easily be written down on a page. That is almost magecraft in itself. This is why I thought it was an appropriate theme for the 'Lord El-Melloi II Case Files.' Please join us again in the latter half of this magical mystery play of the twin princesses.

Now, it seems my goal of 'one book per year' that I wrote about in the afterword of the first volume of this series has already been broken. Let me replay a conversation I had at the beginning of this year to hopefully explain why that is.

"By the way, Mr. Sanda, could you release the next volume by this summer?"

"Um, Mr. Nasu, we already wrote that it was going to be one a year, remember?"

"Don't worry, I believe in you."

"Um, I kind of have the Chaos Dragon anime coming up this summer..."

"Don't worry, I believe in you."

"Well...If I try to make it one book it'll be quite thick...maybe if I split it in two and just release the first half?"

And with that, it was announced very quickly, but I wonder if any of you were surprised at some of the newly arrived characters?

Every time I wrote the names of these new characters, or the secret parts of the Clock Tower, I felt an extraordinary nervousness in spelling them out. I hope that with Lord El-Melloi II, I've managed to produce an attractive view of the rich world set out by Type Moon.

Finally I'd like to express my thanks to Mineji Sakamoto for cooperating with my unrealistic requests for illustrations and accompanying me on this battlefield, to Kiyomune Miwa for always helping me in the difficult research of magecraft, to Ryougo Narita for helping with writing the lines for Flat Escardos, and to everyone at Type Moon.

The latter half of this story is planned for release this winter.

July 2017
    Currently reading Hideyuki Kikuchi's "Twin Oni."

And that's it for Volume 2.

Volume 3 will begin once I'm done the Case Files GO Event. I'm hoping to get at least Act 1 done and posted by tomorrow, but that will depend if I can stop myself from playing long enough to actually do the work.

Thanks for sticking it out for my painfully long delays. I apologize to the few people who were relying on this translation to do translations of their own, I don't intend to have such big gaps in progress in the future, but obviously I can't guarantee anything.

Also hopefully obviously, I won't be able to continue putting out 100 pages a week like I just did since I'll actually be working after Golden Week. I'm hoping to get about 20~25 pages a week, which should be enough for more or less weekly releases, but considering my track record I'd say don't hold your breath lol.

EDIT: Apparently someone else is already translating the event over on Reddit, so I may not bother.
    EDIT2: It's....not very good. Hm.
    I suddenly understand more clearly why Svin is on a restraining order lol. I feel sorry for him, his impulses make the girl he likes avoid him.

As for the translations themselves, it was great to finish volume 2. The mage craft babble still goes over my head, but Waver's entrance was rather cool of him.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    I know it was just the first half of the case but volume 2 was pretty boring. Inorai and Touko appearance saved it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastXxx View Post
    I know it was just the first half of the case but volume 2 was pretty boring. Inorai and Touko appearance saved it for me.
    I don't know, lore is always fun.

US Friend Code
    I agree about the lore. KnK showed me that Touko can use rune magic, but I never would have thought that she was responsible for bringing it back from extinction. Another example would be seeing Atram in Case Files when I've only seen him in UBW, I'm curious what he will do in the novels. From the replies here people also mention about Olga and the Animusphere family as well, I'm anticipating for more story about her.

Most of the stuff about Touko's feats comes from Mahoyo. There are tons of lore there.

US Friend Code
    I've heard about it! I'll start it right away when I'm done with other things

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonfire View Post
    I agree about the lore. KnK showed me that Touko can use rune magic, but I never would have thought that she was responsible for bringing it back from extinction. Another example would be seeing Atram in Case Files when I've only seen him in UBW, I'm curious what he will do in the novels. From the replies here people also mention about Olga and the Animusphere family as well, I'm anticipating for more story about her.
    I want to see what the Animuspheres can do magicwise. Olga just comes off as diet Rin in GO, and Fluegar can do some pretty cool stuff with astrology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    I want to see what the Animuspheres can do magicwise. Olga just comes off as diet Rin in GO, and Fluegar can do some pretty cool stuff with astrology.
    creating Chaldeas and Sheba lens?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I want to see what the Animuspheres can do magicwise. Olga just comes off as diet Rin in GO
    Spoiler:
    prepare to be disappointed
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Spoiler:
    OH BOY
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Is there any pdf version of Volume 2?

OH BOY
    Spoiler:
    I don't think we will see something definite about the Animuspheres until FGO gets into that.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Spoiler:
    Ominous

Anybody know why it's so damn hard to find paperback copies of these LNs (for less than like $30-40 a pop)? I was able to get the first 2 volumes off of JP Amazon for normal prices, and I want to complete my collection. Other than that, I see the CD-Rom versions, which I assume are just audio books. Any info on this matter would be appreciated.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    I just realized something but was Atrum using a smartphone, as we think of one, in that last part of the final chapter? I thought they really weren't around till Apple started making them in like 2007?

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Really, he was? Guess Sanda can't avoid drawing today's tech. At most, Atrum should have had a Razor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself