Page 3504 of 3977 FirstFirst ... 250430043404345434943499350235033504350535063509351435543604 ... LastLast
Results 70,061 to 70,080 of 79532

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Quote Originally Posted by VTKajin View Post
    If Chaldea doesn't take care of LB6 then Earth is fucked, yeah? Seems like enough of a checkmate for Odin to intervene here.

Aside from that, do we have any clue as to Cath Palug's origins in-universe?
    Cath Palug is a creature that is essentially born to the world itself, I'm guessing it's function is to control rampant humanity population, akin to a white blood cell, which makes sense given that Primate Murder's other title, is The White Beast of Gaia. Would also explain why it would be able to be kept under control by Altrouge Brunestud, considering how close she is to Arcuied Brunestud(Being her sister and all) whose other self is Archetype Earth. Now a quick bit to point out, Primate Murder is not Beast 4, but Beast 4 is Primate Murder, meaning that Primate Murder at this stage is a step before becoming 4, just CCC Kiara isn't Beast 3R, but FGO Kiara became Beast 3R

Basically Cath Palug/Primate Murder is akin to a white blood cell and humans are the contagion to get back under control, however, White Blood Cells can encounter glitches that make them not function as they should, say mutating from it's designed role for example by perhaps taking in TOO much of said contagion quicker than it can break it down, basically is what Cath Palug/Primate Murder becoming Beast IV is when it reaches critical levels of Regret and Envy consumption.
    "Gaia protects all creatures on Earth by using Nature Spirits and creatures of the Earth, but as mankind becomes independent, Gaia increasingly perceives humans as a source of threat due to their reckless destruction of the environment.

Gaia's response to the human threat is producing beings that can cull or rule mankind. Primate Murder was created to quickly eliminate humans."
    So what if in this case, Fairies AND Humans were seen as contagions by Cath Palug/Primate Murder? Or became too blurred together as threats to the earth? Now the other bit is that LB Cath Palug additionally has no connection to Will Gaia, but still has the role of POPULATION CONTROL, what is currently in high amounts of Population right now and are mimicking humanity civilizations and culture without fully understanding things? That would entail that the line of distinction between humans and fae could be more blurred from a simple thinking entity whose singular role is population control and white blood cell of the planet. Simply on the notion that the Fae do not comprehend that their acts of whimsy might be leading them to be marked as contagions because they are copying humanity in both the positives AND negatives by mimicking the way they live and such without understanding the that by doing so, they are essentially blurring the line between humans and fae from a simpler more primal creature perspective, they would have a more similar "scent" to one another possibly.
    Last edited by A Lore Theorist; July 18th, 2021 at 06:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    She rang all 6. Norwich, Salisbury, Oxford, Gloucester, Orkney (where the First Knight was encased) and the last one was in Londinium, and she's only able to ring it after Gareth dies in the assault and they've expositioned about what the bells are.
    Spoiler:
    It is heavily hinted that Aurora planned the destruction of Londinium to force the bell out right?

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Castellan's Avatar
    Isn't there also that whole thing about how Medb might have originally been some sovereignty/mother goddess before the Christians distorted everything? With the fairy stuff that we see here, how might that come into play?
    Not quite. The distinction here comes from the fact that there are two people named Medb in the Irish sagas. In the Ulster Cycle, you have Medb, Female King (as opposed to a Queen) of Connacht, Cú Chulainn's nemesis and the basis for the game's Medb.

In addition, in the Cycle of Kings and the Fionn Cycle, you have Medb Lethderg (Medb Red-Side), who is identified as a sovereignty goddess of Tara and who was married to nine successive High Kings including Fionn mac Cumhail's buddy Cormac mac Airt. These are two different characters who have the same name, but not everyone named Steve is the same person. They're two different characters from two different narrative traditions.

Which isn't getting into the 'Christianity distorted everything' thing - we can't really meaningfully reconstruct anything about Ireland's pre-Christian past from the sagas. We have a hard enough time doing that with the oldest Norse sagas we have and those were written only a century or so after large-scale Christianization of the Scandianvian peninsula began. The oldest saga texts we have are from 500+ years after Christianity's arrival in Ireland, and while we have a pretty good grasp on the social institutions of Ireland (because we have more law texts from Ireland than the entire rest of Europe combined) we've only been able to identify, at most, three beings in the whole saga corpus that we can confirm For Sure to have been gods of some Irish túatha, and they would almost certainly not have been universally worshipped across the whole island, because you couldn't get two different Irish túatha to agree on pizza toppings, why would they agree on which gods to worship?

More likely what they're doing is conflating Medb and Mab, because that started to become really popular in Victorian England. Certainly there was still material being published in Ireland (Oideach Con Culainn, the early modern version of Cú Chulainn's Death is contemporary-ish with Billy Shakes), but we have no evidence of the fact that Shakespeare used Irish material at all in his writings, it's mostly been used as a post-hoc justification for why it's okay to call the Aos Síde/Túatha Dé Danann 'fairies' prior to the introduction of the word into the Irish lexicon by English colonizers.
    Last edited by Castellan; July 18th, 2021 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castellan View Post
    Not quite. The distinction here comes from the fact that there are two people named Medb in the Irish sagas. In the Ulster Cycle, you have Medb, Female King (as opposed to a Queen) of Connacht, Cú Chulainn's nemesis and the basis for the game's Medb.

In addition, in the Cycle of Kings and the Fionn Cycle, you have Medb Lethderg (Medb Red-Side), who is identified as a sovereignty goddess of Tara and who was married to nine successive High Kings including Fionn mac Cumhail's buddy Cormac mac Airt. These are two different characters who have the same name, but not everyone named Steve is the same person. They're two different characters from two different narrative traditions.
    True, but many academics, like Professor James MacKillop, argue that the Connacht Medb is a double of Medb Lethderg. Because so much of Irish myth appears to duplicate itself, this thinking seems reasonable.

You're right on the point with the Mab/Medb stuff, though. Despite the popular belief, there doesn’t appear to be any conclusive evidence that Shakespeare referenced Medb.

Quote Originally Posted by Huralok View Post
    True, but many academics, like Professor James MacKillop, argue that the Connacht Medb is a double of Medb Lethderg. Because so much of Irish myth appears to duplicate itself, this thinking seems reasonable.

You're right on the point with the Mab/Medb stuff, though. Despite the popular belief, there doesn’t appear to be any conclusive evidence that Shakespeare referenced Medb.
    I would make the argument that it's somewhat academic - we don't have much evidence for and against other than "they have the same name and Connacht-Medb was born in Tara." The fact that she's described as being intoxicatingly attractive while the common sovereignty goddess motif involve the goddess presenting herself to the prospective King as an ugly old crone also doesn't really fit with Medb.

What could happen is similar to what happened with Fionn mac Cumhail, where we're fairly certain there were originally two Fionns who got merged into a single character (which is why he's an outlaw-seer-pseudo-king) or where the early Fionn stories simply call him the grandson of a druid named Nuadu but later retellings make it Nuadu Airgetlam, possibly because the scribes got confused and forgot that Nuadu Airgetlam was super duper dead.

But I don't think it's a case of duplication so much as it's a case of similar characters with similar names having a similar narrative function because their name is derived from a word that would make their narrative role 'make sense' to an audience familiar with the meaning of the name. That happens today, too.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    On a related note, Percival calls Bedivere a “violet flower” in his My Room lines. Given that Fionn’s NP subtitle is “Undefeated Violet Flower,” and they’re both connected to Nuada, is there some symbolism I’m missing?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    It's curious that Odin was most concerned/worried about the Sixth Lostbelt above the others.
    The plan is to deal with the problems only after the British Lostbelt safely replaced reality, so it probably has to do with Morgan's actions. With the Tree withered and history having never stagnated, the place sorta fell off the definition of Lostbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAkito View Post
    no its missing, hasnt been mentioned once
    Not a meaningful correction in any way, but it was mentioned once. Mash says "Beryl probably collected it" with no real basis to her claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Sssgth View Post
    On a related note, Percival calls Bedivere a “violet flower” in his My Room lines. Given that Fionn’s NP subtitle is “Undefeated Violet Flower,” and they’re both connected to Nuada, is there some symbolism I’m missing?
    At least not on the Ireland side of things - Nuadu isn't really associated with a flower that way. It might be a reference to Bedivere possessing a copy of Nuadu's arm, but if it is it's wholly internal to the Nasuverse.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssgth View Post
    Considering that Fionn's NP refers to a Prunella flower which is purple whereas Percival's description of Bedivere probably is meant to indicate actual Violets...I'm leaning on the possibility that it's probably just a coincidence.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Re Habetrot's past name of Titrot, I'm pretty sure it's meant to be Tom Tit Tot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Considering that Fionn's NP refers to a Prunella flower which is purple whereas Percival's description of Bedivere probably is meant to indicate actual Violets...I'm leaning on the possibility that it's probably just a coincidence.
    I should’ve looked up the Japanese text instead of relying on translations. That’s on me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JP Friend Code
    Ask me
    US Friend Code
    Not a meaningful correction in any way, but it was mentioned once. Mash says "Beryl probably collected it" with no real basis to her claim.
    Wait really? I totally missed that my bad

I even kept asking myself "I wonder why Black Barrel is still gone". I guess I'm just stupid

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    I'm curious, how is it spelled in raw JPN as there are quite a few regional variants of the name which might be in the same vein of Fae!Lancelot's "Perry Dancer" Skill is named from the English derivation of a Celtic Fairy.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAkito View Post
    Wait really? I totally missed that my bad

I even kept asking myself "I wonder why Black Barrel is still gone". I guess I'm just stupid
    It's not said in a way as if to imply Beryl definitely has it. It's just the only time it's brought up, Mashu is like "I'm sorry I lost the black barrel btw, last I saw it was in sheffield so beryl prob has it" but we already "know" he doesn't have it so, you know...

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I'm curious, how is it spelled in raw JPN as there are quite a few regional variants of the name which might be in the same vein of Fae!Lancelot's "Perry Dancer" Skill is named from the English derivation of a Celtic Fairy.
    Its absolutely neither Titrot or Tom Tit Tot, lol.

The JP is トトロット, whereas Habetrot is ハベトロット. I don't know if it's supposed to refer to something historical/factual but the most logical two ways to render it is either "Totorot" (you know, how トトロ is the way you spell Totoro like the hit ghibli film), or mirror Habetrot and write it as "Totrot" but that both looks dumb and sounds off so.

EDIT: So I have been informed that Japanese is a retarded language and that people have connected Totorot to Trit-a-Trot/Tom Tit Tot just because "they sound similar at the end" and all that shit, so that's DUMB but I guess the proper way then to render トトロット is just a "Totrot".
    Last edited by fumei; July 18th, 2021 at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by A Lore Theorist View Post
    Now a quick bit to point out, Primate Murder is not Beast 4, but Beast 4 is Primate Murder, meaning that Primate Murder at this stage is a step before becoming 4, just CCC Kiara isn't Beast 3R, but FGO Kiara became Beast 3R
    A bit important to point out that I'd say is that Angra Mainyu CCC isn't really something that was going to, or failed to become a beast or something. It's its own thing, and really Beast 3R is the chinese bootleg copy burned on a dvd if anything.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    So, are all Avalon le Faes more human-like in their logic and emotions than other fairies, or is that just Morgan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Quote Originally Posted by Menwearpink View Post
    A bit important to point out that I'd say is that Angra Mainyu CCC isn't really something that was going to, or failed to become a beast or something. It's its own thing, and really Beast 3R is the chinese bootleg copy burned on a dvd if anything.
    Well no, it's more so what I meant by that, is that CCC Kiara still carried the POTENTIAL to become a beast, just as Angra Mainyu had the potential to become a beast which was averted thankfully. It's interesting that you used Angra Mainyu as a comparison to CCC Kiara, because you are correct there, but not quite in the way you likely intended. Because it make the statement I made any less accurate. The way beasthood appear to work is that it's not that they WILL become it, it's that they CAN become it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    So, are all Avalon le Faes more human-like in their logic and emotions than other fairies, or is that just Morgan?
    I think it's more so likely blind mimicry, you know when those fights where you have someone copy the protagonist/character without fully understanding all the quirks or lack the wisdom that was gained through experience(In both mentally, and physical), and that usually the copy fails to beat the original because they lacked the full understanding of what they were copying. The mimicry is done that falls in line with their very nature, on flights of whimsy and in this case, might be a very bad thing, because that could blur the line between them and humanity as "CONTAGIONS" to a more simpler, more instinctual entity that is essentially the planet's white blood cell designed to "COMBAT AND ELIMINATE CONTAGIONS/THREATS TO THE PLANET"

I've also considered the possibility that "Cernunnos" could in fact be this LB's Cath Palug on the verge of fully becoming Beast IV not being able to discern the difference between humans and fae in this Lostbelt due to the Faes mimicry of various aspects of humanity, it may be a flat mimicry with no meaning behind it, but for a creature that no longer has sapience when they fully mature and only can likely do little more that register perceived threats to the planet, that mimicry could blur the ability to tell the difference between humans and fae. Additionally it could be that it was cursed by Morgan like an install that slowed it's progression towards beasthood and/or interfered slightly with it's core function(Note I said interfere, not seal/override, cause I don't think even Morgan would be able to override completely the role that it was born with and was given to it by the very will of the planet), perhaps also making it harder to recognize it's true identity, like an outer layer coat.
    Last edited by A Lore Theorist; July 18th, 2021 at 11:29 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Quick, possibly silly, question: is there any indication (direct or indirect) as to what type of summoning system the Crypters use?

'cause some of them got Lostbelt-related/exclusive Servants, and Beryl summoned Morgan as a Ruler, right? That's not common unless they refer to a specific Servant summoning system iirc. Are we left to assume that the Alien God can grant them at least one summon of whatever they want with whatever (even outside the original seven) class they want?

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I believe they use a variant of Chaldea's summoning system?

Also as Beryl's flashback shows, they don't summon until they're in the Lostbelt, which is why Kadoc, Ophelia, and Kirsch got the Lostbelt versions of Anastasia, Surtr, and Dioscuri.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.