Page 3732 of 3977 FirstFirst ... 273232323632368237223727373037313732373337343737374237823832 ... LastLast
Results 74,621 to 74,640 of 79532

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Arete's Avatar
    Scheherazade already showed up in Ooku as an ally, but there's no rules that say she can't be an ally for two. That gets me thinking, all the four main authors, besides Nasu, have done a .5 chapter already. So would he tackle the final one, or will someone get a second one do you think? That will be more of a factor on if Schez returns me thinks.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VTKajin View Post
    I might be incredibly stupid but I just realized the one thing all EoR sequels have in common is the return of the antagonist in the story. Kiara returns in Ooku, Abby returns in Nautilus, Douman returns in Heian-kyō, and Moriarty returns in Traum. Tunguska definitely has parallels to Agartha but this makes me wonder if Scheherazade will return. She’s… kind of the only one of the bunch that isn’t really important? But we’ll see.
    Scheherazade already had her return in Oo'oku, so I don't know about that.

EDIT: Also, any theories on Holmes’ High Servant components, assuming he’s like the other Apostles? Clearly something Buddhist or Buddhist-adjacent. Reminds me that Sanat Kumara is syncretized with the Buddhist deva Bonten in Japanese theosophy.
    Maitreya and Balor are the hypest picks for me, but there's really no guessing with Apostle components. They all fit in hindsight, but there are never any hint of the type that fits speculation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I'm not catching what the surprise is supposed to be.
    It's a picture of Xu Fu doing a similar thing that Rama did in Lostbelt 4 after the animation update for him.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That was my best guess but I wasn't sure because Xu Fu's bread eating animation was something the average player saw hundreds of times in her box opening animations in March, and people who only follow the story already saw in the full translation, which has consistently been ahead of Smoof's summaries. The most recent fully translated section is half a chapter ahead of this post even.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    May not be familiar for people who missed Space Odysseus vs Nikola Tesla. I'm among them as well.

- - - Updated - - -

That, and also Johanna's "tee-hee" are really adorable.

they knew they wouldn't be able to include Schez in Tunguska so they included her in Ooku instead

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Gehennahem's Avatar
    I might be incredibly stupid but I just realized the one thing all EoR sequels have in common is the return of the antagonist in the story. Kiara returns in Ooku, Abby returns in Nautilus, Douman returns in Heian-kyō, and Moriarty returns in Traum. Tunguska definitely has parallels to Agartha but this makes me wonder if Scheherazade will return. She’s… kind of the only one of the bunch that isn’t really important? But we’ll see.

EDIT: Also, any theories on Holmes’ High Servant components, assuming he’s like the other Apostles? Clearly something Buddhist or Buddhist-adjacent. Reminds me that Sanat Kumara is syncretized with the Buddhist deva Bonten in Japanese theosophy.
    I'm thinking one of them might be Baldr considering how hard Skadi leaned into it in LB2 or someone damn close to him.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Arete's Avatar
    Hopefully one isn't Erlang Shen. I'd prefer him to be his own character. But he did have the ability to reveal the truth of something with his eyes.

US Friend Code
    Baldr was part of Muramasa already. Although I guess technically is there any rule they can't double up?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    My dumb reasoning here:

There are 4 Apostles and 8 Lostbelts if we count Heian.
    Douman has Chernobog from LB1's cultural sphere and Itzapapatotl from LB7's cultural sphere (in Nasu's head only).
    Muramasa has Hodr from LB2's cultural sphere and Susanoo from Heian's cultural sphere.

That leaves LB3-6 for Holmes and Rasputin.
    China has to go to Kotomine because it's the country of Mapo Tofu.
    India has to go to Holmes because of the Blavatsky association and all the Buddhist symbols in his design.
    Greek and British (Irish) can go either way.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Zeus smote Holmes just to stop the guy from looking at him so you can probably give Greece to Holmes.

- - - Updated - - -

It'd be too rational to give Holmes a Brit. Also Fairy Britain rejected Holmes, so he obviously wasn't connected enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Any beings with themes big eye theming that would make sense? or revealing?

US Friend Code
    Balor is Irish and already has a preestablished association with eyes in TM.

He has a connection with eyes in myth lmao

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Pruning and translations
    It's time for a sequel:

Partially the reason I started looking into this was the term we discussed first: 濾過異聞史現象 (NA; Felling Theoretical Phenomenon).
    After some deliberation (mostly out of respect of the translators), I've decided to talk a little about why I feel this term has received possibly the most confusing translation they could have possibly gone for.

I'll break this down into 4 points:

1. It is unclear:
    I can only imagine as an English reader of F/GO that this term confused the hell out of people when it first appeared. What is 'felling' referring to? What does Theoretical do in there? At least phenomenon is quite straight forward.
    On the other hand, reading it in Japanese, it's entirely clear what its referring to, almost immediately (aside from maybe 濾過 (Percolated)). 異聞史 has just recently been introduced in ways of 異聞帯 (Lostbelt) which in and of itself does not tell a lot. Still its clear what the premise is: things that are 異聞 ('Lost') are from branches of history that have been pruned (see: Pruned Events) so 異聞史 is basically just that: "Losthistory"; clear and to the point and reflects the same thing as "Lostbelt".
    Altogether, this becomes: a phenomenon where 'losthistory' has percolated/filtered onto the planet. And once you think about it like that, it's not all that odd of a term, really; despite how long it is. It just a term used to describe the process of how Lostbelts appear.

2. It is inelegant:
    This really is more of a point where your mileage may vary, but I do not like the sound of "Felling Theoretical Phenomenon" in the slightest. You have to use it with 'the', in English, of course: The Felling Theoretical Phenomenon. But even then it sounds stilted and odd and it just feels like it tries to force this comparison to their other (mistranslated) terms in Pruning/Chronicle Theoretical Phenomenon that isn't there. Had it been "Theoretical Felling Phenomenon" it actually would've sounded a little better and flowed more naturally in English, but once again, they had to force the comparison, and so it sounds bad.

3. It is inaccurate:
    No matter how you splice it, the words just don't fit.
    Felling is... what exactly? 異聞史? 濾過? What the hell does it mean? Does it have something to do with the 伐採 that happens during Compiling of Quantum Timelocks? Who knows!
    Theoretical, from where? And why? To force the comparison to Pruning/Chronicle? Why?
    Phenomenon is at least entirely accurate but runs into a self-made problem they have where it overlaps with the Pruning Theoretical Phenomenon, but I feel like I've covered that enough.

4. It is misleading:
    We return to what started this whole conversation: No, the theoretical in this term has nothing to do with 編纂・剪定事象 (Compiled/Pruned Events).
    In fact, it seems the entire reason why this translation is the way it is, is because of this extremely misled attempt at tying these terms together.
    Yes: Pruned Events are tied to the Lostbelt concept, but there was never any reason to force these terms into sounding the same.

I don't know their thought process behind coming up with them, sadly.
    But in this case, I really don't think it matters; the results have already shown themselves:
    The translations of these terms have only ever caused confusion.

"Ok, but do you have a suggestion for an alternative then?"

Sure: Percolated Losthistory Phenomenon.
    Last edited by Petrikow; June 19th, 2022 at 11:23 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Meanwhile chuuni Nasu when he came up with it: ROKA IBUNSHI GENSHOU sounds dope for a terrifying event that happens in part 2.

Mmm, yeah, given that every Apostle has a "schtick" (Muramasa having god slayer components, Douman having darkness components), I can see Balor for Holmes since his whole thing is elucidation. Buddha's enlightenment revealed the Four Noble Truths, and while Balor isn't known for that, his eye does burn shit. As for Rasputin, I'm assuming something to do with (un)death. I actually think Baldr would work for him.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Addendum:

Altogether, this becomes: a phenomenon where 'losthistory' has percolated/filtered onto the planet.
    There are actually several interpretation to specifically 濾過 (Percolation/Filtration).
    As I wrote, perhaps it is trying to signify the filtration through of several of these 'Losthistories' onto the planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia
    ダ・ヴィンチ ああ。多くの知られざる異聞史の中から、
    より強いもの……
    Right, perhaps we ought to see it as the strongest among one of many unknowable Losthistories being used as a military weapon;
    ダ・ヴィンチ 汎人類史を押し潰せるほどの可能性を持ったものが、侵略兵器として使われたとみるべきだ。 Something bearing a possibility of such strength that it could crush pan-human history.
    ダ・ヴィンチ 人理焼却はゲーティアという個の生命意志による人類史への攻撃だった。 The Incineration of Human Order was an attack on human history carried out through Goetia's individual life-will.
    ダ・ヴィンチ だが今回は違う。異聞帯という人類史による、地球そのものへの攻撃だ But this is different. This is an attack on the planet itself, performed by these human histories we know as Lostbelts.
    ダ・ヴィンチ 濾過異聞史現象。あえて名前をつけるならこんなところじゃないかな。 The Percolated Losthistory Phenomenon;
    If I had to give it a name, it'd be something like that.
    So the Percolation/Filtration in this case would be the attack itself, as in, that's the function through which Da Vinci figures they've attacked the planet.

The other interpretation is that this word instead refers to how the Fantasy Trees have filtered out certain possibilities from history and that's why the word is used like that. This does feel pretty convincing because it perhaps fits a bit closer to our conception of what "filtration" entails. On the other hands its a little bit harder to get a grasp on how that would tie in with the above. We know they are possibilities and that at least Da Vinci thinks there's some selection process going on (first 2 lines), or at least, implies so.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Petrikow; June 19th, 2022 at 12:58 PM.

JP Friend Code
    One thing that Da Vinci's theory did not cover is the fact that alien god originally needed only 1 LB (LB5) until Kirschtaria demanded more, and was also using it to nurture a body. It saw no problem with any LB being destroyed except for 5. Once it accomplished the job, UOM proceeded to use the blackhole to eat up the LB and even about to wipe out the remaining Apostles if it wasn't for Kirschtaria's final attack.

So to me it feels like "LB being used to attack the planet, crushing panhuman history stuffs" is not the goal, but a necessary step for something (so far its to give it a body but maybe there are more to it), similar to Goetia incineration being an energy gathering to fuel his time travel plan, not that his plan was to only burn down human history.