Page 3686 of 3977 FirstFirst ... 268631863586363636763681368436853686368736883691369637363786 ... LastLast
Results 73,701 to 73,720 of 79530

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Small brain: Vlad animation update
    Galaxy brain: oH FUCK O GOD THEY'RE ADDING THIN CAESAR TOO
    Summer Quirinus hype.

Roma with bigger roma's cause they copied nero/other female roman figure saint graph

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle sentence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Summer Quirinus hype.
    Now I have to wonder, is Summer Morgan coming this year?
    Unless they remember about Lancer Alter or go full meme like summer Kenshin, she is single Saberface who has no summer alt, and this year's summer is likely around Road to LB6.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    As likely as Morganfest.

Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    Caesar gently denying how Byzantine empire is a successor of the Roman Empire seems a huge point of controversy. Or did I understand t wrongly?
    Calling it a straight up denial like that makes it sounds disingenuous, imo. He says that Byzantine and the ERE had some relation to Rome, sure, but that they grew to be their own separate things, so calling them "Rome" isn't at all right. And despite that, Constantine claimed to be a "roman emperor", and the laugh and "what a fine lad" at the end really just sounds exactly like that to me, like a "what a guy". It's not like he's wrong in saying Byzantine isn't the same thing as "old Rome", so that's hardly controversial. If anything it almost sounds like he thinks Constantine just "held himself back" by clinging to the idea of being a roman emperor when his empire had grown into something of its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    Calling it a straight up denial like that makes it sounds disingenuous, imo. He says that Byzantine and the ERE had some relation to Rome, sure, but that they grew to be their own separate things, so calling them "Rome" isn't at all right. And despite that, Constantine claimed to be a "roman emperor", and the laugh and "what a fine lad" at the end really just sounds exactly like that to me, like a "what a guy". It's not like he's wrong in saying Byzantine isn't the same thing as "old Rome", so that's hardly controversial. If anything it almost sounds like he thinks Constantine just "held himself back" by clinging to the idea of being a roman emperor when his empire had grown into something of its own.
    Yeah, which is why I wonder if it is a sign of respect from Caesar or just gently chiding the lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Im confused at this point, is this wrong or right

< ignorant on a lot of the empire stuff
    There is no "right" or "wrong" here. The Byzantine Empire was the direct continuation of the E. Roman Empire. They called themselves "Ῥωμαῖοι", Romans.
    BUT.
    It was a Greek cultured, Greek speaking, Orthodox Christian state centered around Constantinople. It was greatly different from what the original Roman Empire was.

So they were Romans, and they were not.
    Last edited by Herod; May 21st, 2022 at 07:41 AM.
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    It was a direct continuation and there was no actual break off.
    The distinction is a purely schoolary one for convenience sake.
    Last edited by Nanashi(kari); May 21st, 2022 at 10:01 AM.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate. Much like Daybit, I am simply correct, and that is the end of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosserbam View Post
    I am not a shitposter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Impressive argument.

Mine, however, is superior: you are dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And you want to be taken seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The planet is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    GOT DICK? ANY PENIS? COCK DONATIONS?

Well yeah, it's like when you look at the evolution of a species as well, at some point it's just different enough that you have to start calling it something else. Doesn't necessarily mean that they considered it as such at the time.

Either way, I see Caesar's line more as some sort of mix between compliment (being flattered that constantine would call himself roman) and like "condescending pity" (the way you "pity" a child that thinks it's doing something well but really doesn't know any better) for not seeing that they had something of their own and yet they stuck to old traditions and titles. Or perhaps even that is reading into it too much and it's just supposed to be very literal with him saying "those things may have come from rome, but they weren't rome, but you still called yourself roman? that's cute"

Either way it's not exactly controversial. Nobody's making a fuss over this (except we on this page right now)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    Well yeah, it's like when you look at the evolution of a species as well, at some point it's just different enough that you have to start calling it something else. Doesn't necessarily mean that they considered it as such at the time.

Either way, I see Caesar's line more as some sort of mix between compliment (being flattered that constantine would call himself roman) and like "condescending pity" (the way you "pity" a child that thinks it's doing something well but really doesn't know any better) for not seeing that they had something of their own and yet they stuck to old traditions and titles. Or perhaps even that is reading into it too much and it's just supposed to be very literal with him saying "those things may have come from rome, but they weren't rome, but you still called yourself roman? that's cute"

Either way it's not exactly controversial. Nobody's making a fuss over this (except we on this page right now)
    My curiosity mainly comes from not knowing much about how Western historians view the Byzantine empire. Is it a successor of the Roman Empire, or something else.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    The term was first coin by the Italians States during the Renaissance since their were hugely inspired by the ancient romans and pride themselves on rediscovering their lost legacy. But since their lived along side the Byzantine Empire they coin the term to diminish their legacy, In an almost racist like act.

What. The name "Byzantine Empire" was first used 100 years AFTER the fall of Constantinople and by GREEK historians that claimed the "neo hellenic" eritage of the country.
    The Italians used derogative names, yes, but the called them "i greci" or "l'impero dei greci" (the "empire of the greeks")
    Last edited by Herod; May 21st, 2022 at 02:31 PM.

Rome became a national identity long before the empire split, and the city wasn't even the capital of the empire when the split happened. Ethnically and culturally, Roman they were not (nor were most of the empire's citizens), but politically they indeed were. When Rome fell, it was as if half the country was lost, but what remained continued on. I'm sure ROMA would agree.

From my point of view, honestly, the empire never really fell. The whole western civilization, in a sense, is Rome.

US Friend Code
    Romulus would approve

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    From my point of view, honestly, the empire never really fell. The whole western civilization, in a sense, is Rome.
    If Rome is the foundation of The whole Western civilization the what about the eastern civilization what is the foundation for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ismail2002 View Post
    If Rome is the foundation of The whole Western civilization the what about the eastern civilization what is the foundation for that.
    Dunno.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Buddhism?

Hinduism predates Buddhism, in fact Hinduism is like the foundation of Buddhism, in a sense Hinduism is the original story and Buddhism is a fanfiction of it.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That logic also invalidates Rome.