Page 3687 of 3977 FirstFirst ... 268731873587363736773682368536863687368836893692369737373787 ... LastLast
Results 73,721 to 73,740 of 79532

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Well, yeah maybe because Rome has the biggest influence on them, i want to say the same thing about Hinduism but maybe you right, looking how hard Nasu wanking Buddhism.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Siddhartha Gautama is very much real, though?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ismail2002 View Post
    If Rome is the foundation of The whole Western civilization the what about the eastern civilization what is the foundation for that.
    Han China and Maurya Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by OnesFleetingGlory View Post
    Siddhartha Gautama is very much real, though?
    Yeah, but Siddharta is just a wise man who criticize hinduism, especially their caste system, all that bullshit about Boddhisattvas came later on.

Asian philosophies at this point are very syncretic and enough of it is universal to argue it's the foundation of Eastern civilization.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunhelier View Post
    Well, yeah maybe because Rome has the biggest influence on them, i want to say the same thing about Hinduism but maybe you right, looking how hard Nasu wanking Buddhism.
    he did in Fate/Extra

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    From my point of view, honestly, the empire never really fell. The whole western civilization, in a sense, is Rome.
    So far as the West exists outside of the fever dreams of long-dead racists, I'd say Rome is only one source of many, and that the empire I'd well and truly dead, even if some of the structures have been repurposed and reused to the current day.

- - - Updated - - -

Hinduism predates Buddhism, in fact Hinduism is like the foundation of Buddhism, in a sense Hinduism is the original story and Buddhism is a fanfiction of it.
    As a Hindu, I'll just say that Hinduism isn't a real thing, or at least wasn't prior to the late 19tg century, and Buddhism was just another tradition to emerge out of the larger wellspring of "Indian" religion and thought. Still, orthodox Hindu and Buddhist beliefs aren't compatible with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Saying hinduism is like saying 'native america religion'. It's like trying to put a entire continent of varying religions and folk religions under one label. OR saying there is no difference between any christian sect for another comparison.

One of the greatest shames is the lack of decent sources for a lot of non western religions, or hell stuff thats semi obscure within christianity becomes as well pain as well to look into, (Of course there are probably lots of books, but I often find finding said books or a source that can grab ones interest is the big issue, often just dead links or no citations whatsoever)

Blog Entries
    You don't "look for decent sources" concerning religions. You convert to it and practice it yourself among their communities lol

- - - Updated - - -

Or at least, talk to someone who belong to it.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    That's how one ends up drinking the kool-aid.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    Okay, how does Kool-Aid factor in to all of this

Blog Entries
    Only reddit atheists would equate following non-western religions to intellectual suicide.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, to get back to the topic, I think the tendency of forcing "all myths and religions are true" into the TM cosmology would inevitably lead to some religion and pantheons to be shafted and screwed over in one way or another.

- - - Updated - - -

This already happened with the Hindu Devas for example. From what we've seen, for a living religion they seem to be severely underwhelming compared to, say, Buddhism, Abrahamic or Greek Pantheon.

I disagree to some extent, mainly cause i think there are easy ways to mitigate the damage, but not many writers actually try or think about it, it's only really a thing people talk about more nowadays

Of course it depends on what means by 'screwing over', like saying 'YHVH' or the trimurti/insert highest level god here isnt ruler of everything count as screwing over? Because I imagine usually people mean something else when it comes to screwing over. I see that as screwing over when its one religion above all others like a lot of western urban fantasy with christianity.

And I agree that fate has done it, but lets not act like thats a good thing either, and tbh the greeks got semi screwed cause we have only seen the lostbelt versions who are stronger than normal vs buddhism stuf being giga top tier without lostbelt stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sione View Post
    This already happened with the Hindu Devas for example. From what we've seen, for a living religion they seem to be severely underwhelming compared to, say, Buddhism, Abrahamic or Greek Pantheon.
    I think it was because their position in Buddhism was below a Buddha or Boddhisattva, heck even Shiva was downgraded to a mere God of Fortune in Japan and the fact that most of the times they're mentioned as their Buddhism or Japanese counterpart did not help either.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the fact that Nasu favors Buddhism makes it worse i think.

Blog Entries
    Only reddit atheists would equate following non-western religions to intellectual suicide.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, to get back to the topic, I think the tendency of forcing "all myths and religions are true" into the TM cosmology would inevitably lead to some religion and pantheons to be shafted and screwed over in one way or another.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean Indra equated to Raikou is a huge insult to Indra and a huge wank for the Japanese. Not to forget wanking Tamamo and Amateratsu to 大日如来

We also have gems like Arjuna jobbing to Scatha and the disappearance of Attila the Hun. While Sefar is cool and all, it doesn't justifying erasing Attila the Hun from history and for some reason belittle Karl since for some reason they became related to Aliens.
    Last edited by rxrx; May 22nd, 2022 at 02:38 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    As a Hindu, I'll just say that Hinduism isn't a real thing, or at least wasn't prior to the late 19tg century, and Buddhism was just another tradition to emerge out of the larger wellspring of "Indian" religion and thought. Still, orthodox Hindu and Buddhist beliefs aren't compatible with each other.
    FWIW in my country Vietnam, we generally refer to Hinduism as " đạo Bà La Môn" (literally means "religion of the Brahmin") or "Vệ Đà giáo" (Vedas religion). Not many ppl here would understand what you're talking about if you use the term "đạo Hindu" (Hinduism).

- - - Updated - - -

I think it was because their position in Buddhism was below a Buddha or Boddhisattva, heck even Shiva was downgraded to a mere God of Fortune in Japan and the fact that most of the times they're mentioned as their Buddhism or Japanese counterpart did not help either.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the fact that Nasu favors Buddhism makes it worse i think.
    Incorrect. What nerfed the Devas was Nasu favoritism towards Taoism. Devas are still very powerful in Buddhist tradition and are usually guardians of Buddha (Indra even appeared when Buddha is born). They are also all capable of becoming Buddhas and vast majority of devas live in higher heavens together with bodhisattvas.

Devas in Taoism however, are below the ranks of both Buddhas and Xians, and aren't really impressive minus a very few top tiers who are also syncretized with certain Xians or heavenly generals.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; May 22nd, 2022 at 02:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    That line of thinking is probably what made Divine Spirits in general so unimpressive compared to Faeries or True Ancestor shenanigans.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

For the first part, that clearly isn't what they were going for, and I think you know it.

Also, the Devas have been continuously nerfed within our tradition for the past 1500 years at least. They've become wimpier and less revered to the point that I don't remember ever praying to them or learning shlokas for them.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    FWIW in my country Vietnam, we generally refer to Hinduism as " đạo Bà La Môn" (literally means "religion of the Brahmin") or "Vệ Đà giáo" (Vedas religion). Not many ppl here would understand what you're talking about if you use the term "đạo Hindu" (Hinduism).

- - - Updated - - -

Incorrect. What nerfed the Devas was Nasu favoritism towards Taoism. Devas are still very powerful in Buddhist tradition and are usually guardians of Buddha (Indra even appeared when Buddha is born). They are also all capable of becoming Buddhas and vast majority of devas live in higher heavens together with bodhisattvas.

Devas in Taoism however, are below the ranks of both Buddhas and Xians, and aren't really impressive minus a very few top tiers who are also syncretized with certain Xians or heavenly generals.
    I see, too bad that Nasu did them dirty. Just like how the Greek pantheon are the biggest in west, Hindu is the biggest pantheon in east and has the biggest influence all over Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Can't say that description of mainline/"orthodox" Hinduism is inaccurate. Especially since people like Vivekananda attempted to define it as "Vedanta", which I honestly think is insultingly Brahmin-centric.

Also, I did not know that about Taoism, and now I know why to be sort of miffed at Nasu.