Page 3275 of 3298 FirstFirst ... 2275277531753225326532703273327432753276327732803285 ... LastLast
Results 65,481 to 65,500 of 65948

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Can't comment on the Japanese to English translation (though I trust Comun) but

She literally says Freischütz in German during her animations and in her My Room conversation with Moriarty. This feels like saying Dantčs should be called the King of the Cavern instead of Count of Monte Cristo.
    Gan-Kutsu-Oh sounds cooler and it's voiced by George too.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Just to clear some stuff up, fallacies wasn't really intending to cause drama but simply comment/translate some stuff based off the wicurio profile text rather than the current in-game one. This isn't supposed to be a correction despite some bad faith actors here acting like it is.

The Erlkonig stuff she's commenting on is referring to this rather than Goethe's tale specifically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlking#Origin

According to Jacob Grimm, the term originates with a Scandinavian (Danish) word, ellekonge "king of the elves",[3] or for a female spirit elverkongens datter "the elven king's daughter", who is responsible for ensnaring human beings to satisfy her desire, jealousy or lust for revenge.[4][5] The New Oxford American Dictionary follows this explanation, describing the Erlking as "a bearded giant or goblin who lures little children to the land of death", mistranslated by Herder as Erlkönig in the late 18th century from ellerkonge.[6] The correct German word would have been Elbkönig or Elbenkönig, afterwards used under the modified form of Elfenkönig by Christoph Martin Wieland in his 1780 poem Oberon.[7]

As for this:
    気配 (kehai) is usually translated as "presence" in a supernatural sense, but literally means "air / gas (ki) distribution."

I have no idea why this one is here. It's not a thing she disagrees with my version nor it's relevant to any context, it's a just a misleading and arguably false piece of trivia.
    https://jisho.org/word/%E6%B0%97

This doesn't seem to be misleading or false trivia?

And as for reenactment vs reproducing, she states Nasu usually prefers the former over the latter.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Comun's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Jukugo are composed of two kanji but their meaning can’t be reproduced in English by giving the English meaning of its components. 気配 never means “gas distribution”, much like 矛盾 never means “halberd shield” or 馬鹿 never means “horse deer”.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Jukugo are composed of two kanji but their meaning can’t be reproduced in English by giving the English meaning of its components. 気配 never means “gas distribution”, much like 矛盾 never means “halberd shield” or 馬鹿 never means “horse deer”.
    It's trivia for people who don't translate anything and only comment on other TLs, and it's not the actual TL like both you and fallacies have used anyway. Context of that post is important, even if the irony of nitpicking without context is lost on some people here.

Blog Entries
    probably the sort of person who translates 'ano hito' into 'that person' instead of 'them' or 'they'
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly

JP Friend Code
    In any case Comun, this isn't a proofreading or a scathing review of your translation. Hope you get that ultimately.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Comun's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Finally updated Erice's lines with the shop stuff. She talks about talks about not-yet-released Karin content when you complete all the missions.

The Plesioth Hip Check of life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    probably the sort of person who translates 'ano hito' into 'that person' instead of 'them' or 'they'
    But sometimes, "that person" makes more sense than trying to torture English grammar to follow Japanese idiom.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Shitty gacha games I have wasted hours of my life on

Currently playing:

-Fate/Grand Order
    -Granblue Fantasy
    -Girls Frontline
    -Azur Lane

Dropped/on hiatus (never ever):
    -Fire Emblem Heroes
    -Symphogear XDU
    -Langrisser
    -Kidou Sentai Iron Saga
    -PMMM: Magia Record
    -Dragalia Lost
    -Epic Seven
    -SinoAlice

PM for friend codes/fellow commiserating. Please no interventions, it's too late to save me.

Once and always and nevermore.

Temporarily Indisposed LegalLoliLover's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AmADo VII View Post
    Gan-Kutsu-Oh sounds cooler and it's voiced by George too.
    Thing is, the Count of Monte Cristo anime was odd. The King of the Cavern is apparently an alien parasite that took over the Count of Monte Cristo, and unlike the original, the Count dies to cement that annoyingly disgusting "revenge is bad" cliche. Anything that opposes that nonsense should be good.
    May the Light of Zvezda Shine Throughout This World!
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    How?
    Oh, the last part.
    However... That won't happen. And I am really sorry for him.No matter what, the great god's "hope" will fail, as there is a fundamental flaw in his plan.
    My work comes after that, and I get to keep my life. It works out perfectly.
    It's like, he's going to help them, but they're going to fail anyway. And if you know that, why wouldn't do something about it?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    Oh, the last part.

It's like, he's going to help them, but they're going to fail anyway. And if you know that, why wouldn't do something about it?
    It's Zeus who's going to fail. So it works out perfectly. They aid eachother until their plans conflict, Zeus' fails and his succeeds

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors fire_mountain_30's Avatar
    Has Fate ever stated the connection between Lucifer and Babylonian kings?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    It does mean that, but not literally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Literally none of this addresses my complaint. What we see in the story IS all there is of him. A footnote in a side material book saying "oh btw that's totally not his real self" is irrelevant to the way he's presented in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    With Grail Mud, I got rid of all my extraneous divinity, two feet of height, and a burning desire to get revenge on the Gods! Try Grail Mud today!

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I'm pretty sure the closest they ever got of mentioning Satan wad Amakusa or Douman calling his boss Satan

There is also a bit on summer Melt's profile
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FGOGuide/co...rylis_profile/
    All Leviathans are treated as female, and later on, depicted as a huge snake in their image.As humans prior to the medieval ages saw the sea as living at close quarters with death and through how people saw the violent and bestial nature of this creature as something of a demon, eventually it was depicted as a great demon that represented "Envy" of the "Seven great sins".
    Leviathan in the Demonology is believed to hold a significant position after Satan and Beelzebub. Furthermore, it holds the authority of a great admiral of hell. According to the Book of Job, that creature was described to be so big that it causes the sea to flow in whirls just by swimming and allow raging waves to surge.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    Don't think so as far as I can remember
    The closer we got to anything babylonian and demonology is the synchretic mess that is space Ishtar

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    Oh, the last part.

Think of it as a "I will support your plan the way you want it to play it" and less "I will make sure your plan succeeds"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.
    Heaven's Feel Manga Archive

Wyrd oft neređ unfǽgne eorl, ţonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    I'm assuming you're referring to Lucifer and Etana being both Venusian figures in their respective mythologies. Thankfully as others have pointed out, TM has been fairly restrained in using Lucifer/Satan so far.

So no.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

死徒 Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I'm assuming you're referring to Lucifer and Etana being both Venusian figures in their respective mythologies. Thankfully as others have pointed out, TM has been fairly restrained in using Lucifer/Satan so far.

So no.
    Given their comments elsewhere, I'm pretty sure they mean the whole thing where Isaiah's talking about a Babylonian king (perhaps Nebuchadnezzar II, nobody's sure) and the whole thing only got twisted into "Lucifer the fallen angel, probably Satan himself" later.
    In any case, though, Lucifer's only come up... once, I think. In Douman's speech, referring to the Alien God.

It's worth pointing out that there's only two Babylonian kings who have been even remotely relevant in Nasu (Gilgamesh and Dumuzid), and both of them are from 2000+ years before the Neo-Babylonian Empire Isaiah's talking about. Forget Lucifer, we don't know shit about Nebuchadnezzar II.
    (Note that while Darius III is vaguely connected to all this, he ruled from Persepolis and his Nasu background is mostly just Alexander the Great memes.)

Isnt Nebuchadnezzar II mentioned in the profile of hanging gardens? like he would be the proper owner
    Last edited by Byegod; June 7th, 2020 at 09:09 PM.

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    It'd be kinda cool if Mephistopheles had some actual tie to the devil after all, rather than just being a homunculus.

Maybe he could be a vessel for an actual devil or something.