Page 3721 of 3977 FirstFirst ... 272132213621367137113716371937203721372237233726373137713821 ... LastLast
Results 74,401 to 74,420 of 79530

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Sione View Post
    You might be into something there lmao. Holmes did namedrop Soviet Union as "a story that can wait for another time" in Anastasia LB. Also Capitalism as an Outer God is literally confirmed in the Imaginary Scramble event.
    My buddy actually got the first idea from "Anastasia freezing CHALDEAS is important detail" discussion we had a few days back, about how Chaldea was attacked by LB1 peeps. Then I just told him earlier about the redacted name, and he made that connection to say that Anastasia freezing the greatest creation the USSR created (CHALDEAS) serves as revenge for the massacre of the Romanov family. And it went from there lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    But it's attached to Mysterious Heroine XX, who explicitly only exists within the dream, so Outer God Capitalism is most likely a product of Fujimaru's class consciousness.
    As much as I know the theory is mostly for fun using some existing connections IRL, we're dealing with fantasy encroaching to reality plot rn so I don't think this holds much weight lol.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; June 11th, 2022 at 12:32 PM.

Feel like it would be a very poor taste plot point for a gacha game to rant about capitalism lmao

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    You can work within a medium or environment but still resent some of its components and what is tied to it. Nuance exists.

In the first place, TM only did a mobage because Aniplex told them to, and since it was their job to do it anyways, might as well try to find some good in it and try to make it decent. Does not mean they are perfectly happy with how the system works, in fact Nasu complains about gacha mechanics a few times. And I see no issue with making your grievances and disapprovals of things related to your medium show in your work.
    Last edited by Kirishima; June 11th, 2022 at 04:32 PM.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Delastogos's Avatar
    It feels more like a complaint about gacha as a system than anything else tho.

Blog Entries
    Let's just turn the Russians and Chinese to aliens or robots

Blog Entries
    Rereading Abigail's interlude and profile really strengthens my Foreigner-class and Alien God connection theory.
    I mean look at her Noble Phantasm:

Quote Originally Posted by Qliphoth Rhizome: The Hollow Tree Filled with the Husks of Light
    By opening the “Gate” that leads to a foreign space incompatible with humanity, severe distortions are generated within the target’s mind/body. A rhizome from the Qliphoth, the Tree of Evil, grows alongside that tree. The targets on which this could take effect are restricted to Abigail’s own recognition, as one who became the “Key”. It is an Anti-Personnel Noble Phantasm because of that. Under normal circumstances, it should also be called an Anti-World Noble Phantasm, possessing a limitless nature in regard to the targets this effect could take root on.
    This is literally the same concept as the Fantasy Tree, which is a planetary application of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Calling it now, the Alien God is Qliphoth

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Feel like it would be a very poor taste plot point for a gacha game to rant about capitalism lmao
    Nasu is actually using all the gacha money as catalyst to summon the Outer God of Capitalism in order to kill it.
    Then he'll end FGO by giving every player a free 6* loli Karl Marx.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle sentence's Avatar
    Rereading Abigail's interlude and profile really strengthens my Foreigner-class and Alien God connection theory.
    I mean look at her Noble Phantasm:

This is literally the same concept as the Fantasy Tree, which is a planetary application of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Calling it now, the Alien God is Qliphoth
    It is common theory that Beast System is Qliphoth.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    Let's just turn the Russians and Chinese to aliens or robots
    Most of our Chinese are already robots.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle sentence's Avatar
    Now after that Lev discussion I think about possible ending of Part 2, implying it would be good for Alien God and Nasu didn't change his mind.

Will she become an Archetype Earth of FGO world? (After Beast stuff being dealt with)
    Moonlight/Lostroom materials hints that, she is portrayed as ghost figure holding Earth, alike to Archetype Earth known picture:
    Spoiler:

Also her personal happiness (which is probably important too, as Nasu parallel her with Sola Ui, who had that as important part of her subplot in Zero) is likely being reunited with Lev, which is likely impossible as Lev is dead and looks like must be dead if the world is to live (so even changing the past wouldn't help).

Also I wonder if Alien God will be free SSR given upon Part 2 completion. Arcade got Draco, and Mobile got Habetrot (4*) after LB6, so makes sense to give out 5* after LB7 (could also be Man of Chaldea though).

-- Side notes

Who is that white outline in Chaldea looking upon Chaldeas, Olga? (Lostroom)
    Spoiler:

God of Another Star and President of Earth
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sentence View Post
    It is common theory that Beast System is Qliphoth.
    Didn't Beast VI/L/R/S/G debunk that.

Local Extra Class Aficionado DelRey's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    but arent these two pairs of Beast VI from different timelines?
    That would mean the qlipoth theory holds per timeline
    "Let's see the color of your coin, my friend."

Behold my vault of Heroes.
    Where the Heavens and the Abyss breath the Music of Humanity.

The King's duty is to provide. And provide, I shall.
    University of Formatting | Gallery of Potential | Memorandum of the Extra Class Kings

Our Kingdom will grow. And we shall know each citizen.
    Create-a-Servant 4 soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Didn't Beast VI/L/R/S/G debunk that.
    No, having 4 splits for VI actually means all of them fit. Assuming 5 isn't split too, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by DelRey View Post
    but arent these two pairs of Beast VI from different timelines?
    That would mean the qlipoth theory holds per timeline
    No, VI is the one Beast that has been explicitly jumping in between timelines like Arthur and Musashi do.
    Arthur just said on Arcade that there is an order for their manifestation, first R & L then G & S follow

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The talk we had earlier about 濾過異聞史現象 (on NA: Felling Theoretical Phenomenon) in relation to 剪定事象 (on NA: Pruning Theoretical Phenomenon) as well as their translations really got me thinking more about what the hell is going on here.

At first I was just thinking about the whole theoretical thing, but eventually I realized this misses the point. The real reason why especially the translation for 剪定事象 is bad is not because of that, it's because of "phenomenon".

剪定事象 is not a phenomenon. It is not an "actor". It is not "something that happens"

It is "something that has happened".

When Arai first translated this in 2016, he rendered it as "Pruned Events" (and 編纂事象 as "Compiled Events"). This is the correct way of thinking about this word.

At some point (for example: in Moonlight/Lostroom's materials translation) people started calling it a "phenomenon". This is the incorrect way of thinking about this word.

For whatever reason, it appears this is what has stuck, and it causes ridiculous problems whenever it appears. The NA localization, perhaps inspired by earlier translations (the above, for example) took the same stance. This creates some truly bizarre translations.

JP:
    マシュ
    わたしたちの歴史に残る宮本武蔵とは異なる、
    剪定事象の存在かもしれない、女性の宮本武蔵さん。

NA TL:
    Mash
    Unlike the historical Miyamoto Musashi, this one you encountered was a woman.
    Perhaps from a world of Pruning Theoretical Phenomenon.

MY TL:
    Mashu
    Unlike the Miyamoto Musashi from our history, she's perhaps something from a Pruned Event; a female Miyamoto Musashi.

Unlike the official TL, we don't need to add a bunch of words to make sense of this all of a sudden. Because there is no such thing as a "world of Pruning Theoretical Phenomenon". 剪定事象 are worlds in and off themselves. They're "possibilities that have been removed"

Another example:

JP:
    (Narration)
    後世に続く事なき剪定事象に属する『別人』として、
    彼は、我知らず多くの世界を渡ってきた。

NA TL:
    (Narration)
    With his name never going down in history, this separate version of Amakusa Shirou from a
    Pruning Theoretical Phenomenon traveled across many worlds unbeknownst to us.

MY TL:
    (Narration)
    As a changed man belonging to a Pruned Event that could not continue onto the future,
    he unwittingly passed through many different worlds.

Partially because of this term, and partially because what appears to be a lacking translation, this one has been completely mangled.

One last example from Shimousa...

JP:
    天草四郎
    穢土城の本格起動が成された時こそ
    この世界は終わる! 泡の如くして儚き剪定事象
    いずれと言わず刹那のうちに暗黒へ落としてくれる!
    そして! すぐさま穢土城ごと異郷の地(カルデア)へ
    そう、我が復讐は此処で終わりはせぬ!
    カルデア在る編纂事象、正しき人理をさえ砕こうぞ!
    この異なる結果、敗れしものたちの未来を、
    必ずやまことの世に浮上させよう!

NA TL:
    Amakusa Shirou
    Once Onriedo Castle's activation is complete,
    the end of this world will be close at hand!
    In an instant, this frail alternate history shall be consumed by darkness! And from there...this entire castle shall travel to the distant land of Chaldea!
    My revenge will not end here! I shall destroy the Chronicle Theoretical Phenomenon where Chaldea resides; indeed, it shall even destroy the true humanity itself!
    Thus shall I bring about a future
    for those history has left behind!

MY TL:
    Amakusa Shirou
    Once my [Onri]edo Castle's full activation has been achieved this world will come to an end!
    In an instant impossible to tell when, it will sink this ephemeral Pruned Event into darkness!
    And then! Immediately arrive together with [Onri]edo Castle in the foreign land of Chaldea! Indeed! My revenge will not end here!
    I will destroy proper Human Order; the Compiled Event in which Chaldea resides!
    I shall make sure this differing outcome; this future of the defeated, emerges onto the real world!

Now you avoid this odd "frail alternate history" and even provides some extra context to what the hell he's trying to do here.

Here's how its described the first time in Part 2:

JP:
    ダ・ヴィンチ
    基本軸である『幹』から離れすぎた世界は、
    たとえ理想郷であろうと『打ち切り』になる。
    これを魔術世界では剪定事象といい、
    この機能がある事で、我々の宇宙は今も問題なく
    広がっている、と魔術協会では考えられている。

NA TL:
    Da Vinci
    If a world, even a utopia, strays too far from its base axis, it gets the clippers, so to speak.
    In the magecraft world,
    it's called the Pruning Theoretical Phenomenon...
    ...and it's what allows our universe to keep expanding unimpeded. That's the Mage's Association stance, anyway.

MY TL:
    Da Vinci
    Worlds that stray too far from this primary axial stem—even those that are utopias—are cut down.
    In the world of magecraft, these are called Pruned Events.
    Within the Mages Association, it is thought that because of this function, our universe can safely expand, even now.

Because of the perception around this as a "phenomenon" they've bound together the second and third line in a way that's a bit awkward.

Another example from early on in Part 2:

JP:
    宮本武蔵
    ここは異聞帯。
    違う世界……剪定事象がなぜか続いているロシア、と。

NA TL:
    Musashi
    This place is a Lostbelt...
    A different world where the Pruning Theoretical Phenomenon is still taking place.

MY TL:
    Musashi
    This place is a Lostbelt; a different world...
    Russia, a Pruned Event that for some reason is still ongoing.

Now this one is a banger, and where you can see how this "incorrect" conception of 剪定事象 has REALLY confused the translator. There is no "Pruning Phenomenon" that is somehow "still taking place"; the Pruned Event IS the world, and for some reason is still going on, when normally it would be pruned!

There are of course way more example (剪定事象 appears in 21 different places in this script) but I think that's enough to get the point of how this translation has misled people.

But then how does all this parallel world stuff work, and why did it get so confusing to begin with. That's probably a harder question to answer properly, but let's try, shall we:

Fundamentally, you can view the parallel worlds as belonging to a central stem. This is the base unit. This "stem" is one world. Upon this stem, some events are Pruned, and some are Compiled. Compiled Events are many in numbers, so eventually these "branches" are "trimmed" and compiled into a Quantum Timelock (which is called a Human Order Cornerstone more generally).

The Pruned Events are not a part of this process. Pruned Events are discarded immediately as soon as it becomes apparent they hold only one future. To become a Pruned Event means that the future there is so certain, that it cannot birth more possibilities (more parallel worlds), but instead only heads towards one determined future.

It appears many people have the conception that these processes (Pruning/Compiling) are the so called 剪定・編纂事象 rather than what these terms actually mean: the result of Pruning/Compiling.

And like always; thanks for coming to Petrikow's TED Talk.
    Last edited by Petrikow; June 14th, 2022 at 02:12 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Post script:

剪定事象 (Pruned Events) is probably named in style of the mathematical conception of 事象 (event). This is a term used in statistics and probability to designate outcomes of chance. For example: if you toss a coin, you have 2 possible events: 1. it lands heads, 2. it lands tails.

People like to talk about Dependent and Independent Events in this field, and in Japanese those are called 従属事象 and 独立事象 respectively. This way of forming words around "events" is exactly the way 剪定事象 (Pruned Events) and 編纂事象 (Compiled Events) are formed!

Perhaps we could call it extra thematic given that these were introduced into the franchise surrounding the character of Archimedes, a famous mathematician.
    Last edited by Petrikow; June 12th, 2022 at 04:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Aw nah, calling it now Archimedes is going to be an Apostle of the Villain God once again.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Aw nah, calling it now Archimedes is going to be an Apostle of the Villain God once again.
    For what it's worth, he'd probably do it.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Delastogos's Avatar
    Ya boy is (maybe) coming