Page 3694 of 3977 FirstFirst ... 269431943594364436843689369236933694369536963699370437443794 ... LastLast
Results 73,861 to 73,880 of 79530

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Story and Lore (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssgth View Post
    Again, Christ was actually born in 3 BC, and it’d be hilarious for them to make that massive a research error by just assuming. If it was caused by someone else, or by a 3-year-old toddler Jesus for whatever reason, it could be a little more interesting.
    Constantine defending Istanbul happened and look at the mess of Beowulf's namesake.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sione View Post
    At some point, when that inevitable FGO x Tsukihime crossover comes and Tsuki timeline is tethered into Fate Multiverse, CM and Arcueid will eventually be inserted into some IRL mythos.
    Hedge your bets now, folks.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    Money on them not even bringing it up remotely.

Blog Entries
    I wish I could be so optimistic

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Crimson Moon (blessed be his name) and his (im)mortal incarnation Arcueid Brunestud are the only divine entities we in Tsukihime-land worry about.
    Now I actually want more gods involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Hedge your bets now, folks.
    The most obvious one is Kaguya-hime.

Yeah, and other moon or moon rabbit deities would come next in mind.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Now I actually want more gods involved.
    The all jobbed to Crimson Moon and AB.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    They're classified as Planetary Spirit, a rank higher than Divine Spirit, so that's a natural conclusion.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Well, the Abrahamic God might be Alaya, and the Church is a pretty big part of Tsuki

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Sione View Post
    The most obvious one is Kaguya-hime.
    Will be Arcueid who came to Japan at some point hundreds of years ago

- - - Updated - - -

The bamboo cutter will be a Shiki Pseudoservant

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Bamboo cutter and his wife are foster parents of Kaguya hime. So we gonna have Arcueid NTRed the old guy and kill her foster mom?

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The prince will be the Shiki pseudoservant, not the bamboo cutter.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    They'll just be like Ryougi. Don't think too hard about it or expect them to tie some myth into it imo since they'll just be the Tsukihime characters as they are probably.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunhelier View Post
    I mean its not Amaterasu have big influence in the world that she got syncretized but it was the other way around, but somehow Amaterasu is the one who takes all the credit, the other example is Daji.

Daji is much older with big enough influence to spread to other region but somehow it was all Japanese who take the credits of her influence. Like it was all Amaterasu doing that caused the ruin of a nation in China and India i mean cmon Nasu, i know you want to makes Japanese Myth to be impressive but not like this. This why i called superioriy complex and shameless.
    I won't blame you for being massively uninformed in this subject, but you are very wrong about this. Amaterasu deserves all of the "wank" here even if you don't consider the Buddhism aspect, specifically coming from Chinese origin perspective.

Modern researchers on the influence of Chinese myth in Japan agreed that Amaterasu is based on the sun goddess Xihe and she is pulled directly from the Sanhaijing, a book about yokai and Chinese mythology imported from China, then adapted into the Kojiki and Nihon Shoki.

Xihe is the mother of the ten sun birds in the story about the hero Hou Yi shooting 9 out of 10 of them down. These sun birds have 3 legs, and are later known as the Yatagarasu - Amaterasu's messenger - in Shinto. Xihe not only shares mythical functions with Amaterasu (being the sun goddess, and the ONLY one in the East Asia culture sphere beside Amaterasu), she also lives in a "country in the Eastern sea named after her, where the divine tree Fusang is located" (It's basically description of Japan, its name being Wa (倭/和) at the time is the same He (和) in Xihe, Fusang is also one of its name, and Xu Fu while on the way to search for immortality for Qin Shi Huang later stranded to Japan). So you have this sun goddess who is the chief god of this land of the rising sun in the Eastern sea, jeez I wonder if Amaterasu is just Xihe but adapted to Shinto in a different name and different origin.

But it is not the end, no. In Sanhaijing, Xihe is depicted together with her sister - the Moon goddess Changxi, and these 2 have naga-like bodies (human upper half and snake lower half) while also carrying the sun and the moon in their hands respectively. Close inspection of the ancient illustration could not identify whether both these figures are female, or one male and one female. And coincidentally, there indeed ANOTHER couple of deities with naga-like bodies, carrying the sun and the moon respectively in their hands, in earlier Chinese mythology: Fuxi and Nuwa. That's right, the modern interpretation is that Xihe is an incarnation of Fuxi (the Xi in Fuxi is the same Xi in Xihe too) and Changxi is that of Nuwa, similar to how Yuanshi Tianzun is said to be an incarnation of the primordial god Pangu.

TLDR: Fuxi, one of the chief primordial gods of Chinese mythology -> incarnated as Xihe the sun goddess of a country that is pretty much Japan -> adapted and reimagined as Amaterasu in the Kojiki and Nihon Shoki. Therefore immensely more superior than Daji ever hope to be.

In hindsight, it makes perfect sense that Nuwa was the one who recruited the golden nine-tailed fox and later was the one to subdue her completely in Investiture of the Gods. And now that I think about it, Taigong did not chant Fuxi in his world egg creation spell in Tunguska. He mentioned Nuwa, but not Fuxi who is supposed to be her duo partner. It might be nothing, or Nasu had awakened to galaxy brain after reading the Sanhaijing.
    Last edited by Lily Emilio; May 23rd, 2022 at 02:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    Strange. Chinese mythology usually focus on Houyi shooting down the 9 suns instead of the suns themselves. Some version of the legend even has it that he incurred the wrath of Gods for doing so despite doing a great favor for the people, so they lure Chang E away from him using the immortal pill and have her fly to the moon. This version of the tale has the gods passed down Houyi was a tyrant and his wife left because of his actions and search for immortality instead, ruining his name and also discourage people from working against the wills of heaven.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    Strange. Chinese mythology usually focus on Houyi shooting down the 9 suns instead of the suns themselves. Some version of the legend even has it that he incurred the wrath of Gods for doing so despite doing a great favor for the people, so they lure Chang E away from him using the immortal pill and have her fly to the moon. This version of the tale has the gods passed down Houyi was a tyrant and his wife left because of his actions and search for immortality instead, ruining his name and also discourage people from working against the wills of heaven.
    It is probably due to it being both an inhuman feat and also a sin. In the grand scheme of things, it did not matter because he only killed the sun birds and not Xihe, she doesn't seem to bother with that either, dude just kill 9 out of 10 of her children and it was nothing. I guess her sun chariot (so she is like Apollo too) also can be pulled by six dragons, or the Azure Dragon of the East Qinglong in some documents, not just the birds, so it didn't affect her job much or sth.

Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    Back onto all myths are real approach, I still don't get why Nasu decides to go historical facts and fantasy divide in Extella. It just feels like the good old fabrication vs real in which fabrication might not be as bad, but I just find it bullshit. Why pull this if he wants to go for all myths are real?
    It feels one of the more obvious bias'd elements considering japan conveniently gets all its magic shit cause muh islands excuse. As I said in the unpopular opinions thread

'They should have never defined when the AOG ended or when magic disappeared ' as now we just get these shitty excuses as why X doesnt but Y does get its gods and magic

But on syncrenetism : The fundamental issue of syncrenetism I have in fate is that it only feels to serve certain characters, I'm not even saying powerlevels here. But it's to draw a focus or create a higher importance. It's only ever done sparingly to "prop up" characters it feels. Skadi and scathath.. (Remember when scathath apparently had a super god form or whatever that cu and all the students together couldn't beat or whatever. Feels like that was forgotten)

One issue is that its a waste of multiple figures being diluted into one, for example most European and hindu myths have a common origin, but the divergences are just as important as there commonalities. As they integrated with local folklore, the general vibe or narrative of the mythologies and religions and so on makes them all have different flavors and ideas and its a waste to take two myths with commonalities and merge them together 99% of the time.

Blog Entries
    If you don't like Comparative Mythology in your historical fiction feel free to read a real history book instead.

Are you not reading what I'm saying, I'm saying that it feels self serving or to prop up characters than anything else and that it wastes myths.

This isnt SMT where I can summon a god, then the fusion god version separately. I mean the whole ammy-vairocana stuff may just be yet another stupid fucking smt reference considering the fusion material for vairocana in smt 1 has fucking amaterasu as one.