Thread: The heroic spirit the grail deserves.

The heroic spirit the grail deserves.

Good day fellow lunatics.

Long time lurker, new poster here. I'd probably have kept lurking forever if it weren't because my brain got invaded by a particularly bothersome plot bunny, that wouldn't stop nibbling at my cortex until I wrote it down with prejudice.

And so I did.

But then another thought creeped in. What's the point of writing something if you don't post it somewhere. Sure it might be a piece of crap but at least someone, somewhere might point and laugh and have some fun at my attempts at creative writing. And that's all that matters.

A warning beforehad, there are one or two VERY heavy spoilers, so to anyone who is still halfway through Fate and doesn't know the big secrets yet, don't read it.

That said I believe most people here already know more about Fate than even Nasu does. Also, keep in mind I'm taking some creative liberties when writing this. Neither am I exactly a scholar in Fate S/N lore, just a dabbler, I dabble. As such some might disagree or even feel outraged at my particular interpretations of the characters.

Still here? Good, then wihout further ado I give you this.

[Standard Disclaimer: I don't own any of the copyrighted characters and blah blah blah]

The pub was noisy, lively and had quite a cheery atmosphere, which was the main reason why Kiritsugu Emiya hated it. It was also practically under the nose of the Mage's association Clock Tower, which was probably the reason Zelretch had chosen it.

Kiritsugu found Zelretch easily enough, a large man with a wide shit eating grin and the largest personality in the whole place. He was playing darts and practically quaffing his pint, spilling more than he drank. After ten minutes of patient waiting Kiritsugu got fed up and gently tapped him on the shoulder. It was doubly irritating, because he was quite sure Zelretch had been aware of him the moment he'd stepped into the pub, hell, probably the second he set foot on London. He really wanted to give him a piece of his mind, but when Kischur Zelretch Schweinorg asks to meet with you, you don't tell him to go stuff it where the sun don't shine.

Zelretch left the dartboard to the consternation of the other players, since they were playing under the rules that whoever lost paid for the next round, and Zelretch had been both losing spectacularly and spending lavishly, but there were things he had to do. So he walked with Kiritsugu towards a remote table where they could have some measure of privacy after ordering a couple more pints.

“How are you doing Emiya?” he asked by way of small talk.

“Slowly dying from curse poisoning, aside from that, just dandy.”

“Hurm, I can see how being submerged in a flood of that pestilent goo wouldn't exactly do wonders for your health. Had any word from the Einzberns?”

“Not unless you count the usual death threats and vows to utterly and completely destroy me the moment they see me.”

“Yes well, that's to be expected, Jubstacheit is nothing if not proud. Also a senile old bastard. I'm a bit worried about the little girl though, I mean, growing up all alone under her grandfather's thumb, and taught to hate the name of Emiya. I expect she'll turn out to be one downright scary ruthless psycho. I'm sure her grandpa will be proud.”

“Did you call me just so that you could rub more salt in the wounds? Because if you're going to do so I can do that well alone on my own.”

“Ah yes, about that, there's the boy, how is that coming along?”

“I don't know what you're talking about.”

“Don't give me that crap, your new pet project, the kid you rescued from the fire. He's called Shirou isn't he?” Zelretch paused for a moment to take a long gulp from his pint and sighed as he put it down, then gave Kiritsugu a knowing look before pressing on. “You gave him the scabbard, you saved his life and at the same time cursed him to this whole magic crap. Now it's quite obvious you're grooming the boy to be your successor. A dick move if I may say so and utterly brilliant as well.”

“That's not it at all and you know it, he was the only survivor but he was dying, using Avalon was the only way I could save his life.”

“At first yes, desperate situations require desperate measures. I understand that all too well. But you didn't need to take in the kid, nor did you have to let him keep the scabbard. He's healed enough by now, you could take it out, sure the procedure is complex and extremely painful but it only entails a small risk of dying, and that sort of consideration never stopped a magus before from laying hands on such a precious object, it certainly wouldn't stop Zouken.”

“Zouken's a monster, barely human any more. And I'm not putting the kid through that sort of hell just so that I can have again some mouldy ancient treasure I can't even really use anyway. He's suffered enough already.”

Zelretch smiled at that. “Good, but you didn't deny the part about grooming the boy.”

“No I didn't. But it's not like I have much of a choice, as long as he has the scabbard in him, he's pretty much in the thick of it all, might as well get him ready for it.”

“You're not exactly going out of your way to train the boy, but I'm not here to discuss your teaching or parenting methods.” There was a sudden change in the timbre of Zelretch's voice, suddenly losing his devil-may-care attitude and his visage became sombre, reflecting the seriousness of the situation. “I'm here to talk about the whole fourth grail war fiasco.”

“I was there, I know what happened, fiasco is an understatement.” Kiritsugu dropped his head his eyes suddenly focusing on the table's grain, unable to hold Zelretch's stare. “I did everything I could, but it still wasn't enough. I didn't understand her, didn't want to, if only I had... ”

“I know, you're guilty of many things, but denial is not one of them, you know you were at fault, but you're wrong if you believe things would have turned out differently if you'd trusted her more.”

That got Kiritsugu's attention and he looked up, with a questioning look in his eyes. “What do you mean?”

“I mean that you got it wrong about her, sure she was noble, honest, brave, compassionate and beautiful. But she wasn't the right one for the job.” Now it was Zelretch's eyes that looked away from Kiritsugu his gaze seemingly lost into the distance watching something only he could see, and from what Kiritsugu knew of the man, that wasn't a figure of speech.

“The grail war has become something poisonous and vile, a thing of darkness and hopelessness. When she was summoned, it was with hopes that she could change that. A ray of light and hope in the darkness.” He paused and looked into his pint then continued. “She was a hero, not the hero we deserved, but the one we thought we needed. Nothing less than a silver knight, shining.”

“No, the grail war didn't deserve her, but it needed her, if only to show us that not even the purest light, can triumph against the tide of darkness the grail has become. What we deserve, what we need is something else, something that dwells in the darkness, that understands it, that has made it, its own, and yet defies it, not giving in to it. Something that manages to shine a single beacon of hope in the darkest depths.”

“What are you talking about?” said Kiritsugu wondering if the old man hadn't gone crazy and whether that'd make any difference at all.

Then he noticed the doodle Zelretch had been making on the table using the moisture from the cold beers.

It was shaped like a bat.

And that's it. Nothing more than a plot bunny and a prologue for an idea that I'm actually scared of developing further, lest it turns into utter crap.

But then again, that has never really stopped fanfic writers.

What do you think?
    Last edited by JoeKerr; June 21st, 2015 at 03:20 PM.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Three words:

The fire rises.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Whoa, Batman in the 5th war? That could be crazy.
    Go check out some awesome fan fiction!
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/forumdisplay.php/5-Fanfics
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../FateStayNight
    Because the remaining ten percent is worth dieing for.

Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier, Magi locked in a deadly battle royal. Sounds familiar right? Familiar and AWESOME.
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...eo-Walkthrough

US Friend Code
    Pretty interesting. I'd like to see where this one goes...
    "It's not that I don't have common sense; I just choose to ignore it sometimes."

-

Where to find me:
    Fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1852114/Blue-Hurricane
    Deviantart: http://ausreford.deviantart.com/

And then batman was genderflipped into a teenaged girl. Kekeke.

But no, I'd definitely read this if you updated. Especially interested in what the bats class and noble phantasm would be.

Well, since no one has taken out the pitchfork and torches, and in fact some have expressed some positive interest. I decided to write some more.

But before doing so I'd like to say a couple of things.

With three words, Random opened a whole world of possibilities, I'd only intended to introduce the Bat to the 5th grail war. But what if someone else was summoned too?

And then DataGambl pointed at the elephant in the room. How do you fit Bats within the grail war and its particular set of rules?

As far as class goes, it's quite obvious which class is best suited for him. The problem is that as far as the story goes, I see no proper way to introduce him in it as assassin. Caster's assassin is far too limited in every possible way. And true assassin... The mere idea of Zouken being Bat's master is... well you get the picture. The other problem is that when pairing him with Shirou as was my original intention he most definitely is NOT a saber class.

So faced with this problem, and having the precedent of Hollow/Ataraxia, I decided to go with the route of, I'm the author so I can I do whatever the hell I want. So I just threw the current classes out the window and decided to create one for him.

Whenever something like this happens, just remember, Zelretch did it.

So here's a little bit more.

************************************************** ***********************************************
    Emiya Shirou was having one of the worst nights of his life, and it might have something to do with the maniac clad in blue that was trying to kill him again.

So far he’d done a rather pathetic job of avoiding to be skewered by the huge red lance his attacker carried and had managed to do so, mostly by blind luck as well as his would-be killer’s amusement at his feeble attempts to defend himself. But probably the thing that had helped him the most to stay alive, was his attacker’s puzzlement at finding out that Shirou was still alive when he should be dead. As far as the man in blue was concerned, people should die when they were killed. Specially if it was him doing the killing. The fact that Shirou hadn’t… well he found it personally offensive.

In his desperate attempt to remain alive, Shirou had run towards the utility shed hoping to find shelter there. The shed was where he trained and practiced his magic, where he kept his tools, the shed represented safety. Once there, he’d be able to catch his breath, think about what was going on and figure out a way to stay alive. It was only when he found himself inside the shed that he’d realized he’d actually trapped himself with no chance of escaping.

He looked around the shed, searching for a weapon, anything he could use to defend himself. His eyes fell upon the bat related paraphernalia that his father had collected. In his last years, Emiya Kiritsugu had become strangely obsessed with the creatures. Bats, he’d often said, were small and fragile creatures, exposed to many dangers and threats. Yet they survived, because they were capable of doing something no other mammal could. They had thrown themselves at a hostile and dark environment and not only endured but thrived. He also found fascinating how despite their small size and being actually rather beneficial animals, bats were capable of inspiring so much fear in some people.

It was all useless junk that couldn’t help him now, not with the maniac after his blood. He grabbed the large bat shaped insignia on the wall. It was metal, and looked heavy, and if nothing else, he thought he could at least throw it at his attacker, not that it’d do him much good, but he was desperate and running out of options.

He pulled his hand back sharply, the damn thing had razor sharp edges, and he’d managed to cut himself slightly on the palm when he tried to grab it. A drop of blood fell down it’s side. He ignored it and the stinging on his hand and kept on looking for a weapon, any weapon at all.

“There you are, you’ve led me on quite a merry chase. I still have no idea how you managed to survive our last encounter, but you can be sure I won’t make the same mistake again.”

Shirou spun on his heels to face the voice as the blue lancer sauntered into the shed with an amused smirk on his face.

“A part of me wants to find out how you did it. I know I didn’t miss, and I must confess I’m curious as to how you survived. Another part however just wants to finish the job and make sure that this time it sticks. Professional pride, you understand.”

He paused for a moment looking at Shirou as if expecting some kind of reply, an explanation to how he’d survived, but in that matter, Shirou was as ignorant as the man with the lance and kept silent. When it was clear that no answer was forthcoming, he sighed, disappointed, and spoke again.

“Unfortunately for you, I’m a lot more proud than curious”

He moved again, and his spear followed, almost too fast for the eyes to see, aiming directly at Shirou’s chest.

As Emiya Shirou stood transfixed watching the blood red lance racing towards his heart for the second time tonight, he felt a pang of regret that he would never get the chance to atone for the sin of staying alive when everybody else had died.

But it was not to be.

A boot suddenly kicked against the lance sending it away from Shirou, there was movement and his vision was suddenly obscured by black fabric. He heard sounds of scuffle and of bone hitting meat, hard. Then vision returned when his saviour moved forward allowing Shirou to take a good look at him.

It was a man, a large one, dressed in a cloak that seemed to be made of shadows, and whose face was covered by a cowl with two white slits for eyes and a pair of pointy horns or ears on each side of the head. He kept a wary eye on the blue lancer who had jumped back a considerable distance and now stood there, rubbing his left cheek and looking very annoyed. Without losing sight of the armed man, the cloaked man’s eyes seemed to dart in all directions, taking in his surroundings and examining every last detail. Then he spoke, and a chill ran down Shirou’s spine as he heard it, that voice, like wind between gravestones. He spoke in strangely neutral Tokyo dialect japanese and said.

“Boy, are you alright?”

Shirou, still confused was only able to nod his head.

“Then get up, there’s a war going on, and like it or not you’ve been drafted. And it’s my responsibility to see that you make it through alive.”

He extended a gloved hand towards the redheaded boy on the floor.

And Emiya Shirou took it.
    ************************************************** ***************************

Just a snippet. But then that's how I plan to write it. In small bite sized chunks that I can post and subject to public scrutiny. I really have no clear plan of what I'm doing, just a general idea, and I'm trying to wing it as I go along. So suggestions and critiques to help make this into something that might be worth reading are more than welcome.
    Last edited by JoeKerr; August 3rd, 2015 at 07:47 PM.

So I decided to write a little more, this time detailing Archer's first interaction with Bats.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Archer was caught completely off guard.

When they approached the Emiya household and saw the blue lancer jumping over the wall, disappearing into the darkness he was stunned for an instant under the weight of sudden recollection. Memories of a life he’d once had and of the stupid naive idiot he’d once been flooded his mind. Then he thought about her, of the petite blonde girl he’d met a lifetime ago, as beautiful as she was deadly, and she was so very beautiful.

That’s who he was expecting to see.

He most certainly wasn’t expecting the large man in a dracula cloak, whom he only noticed standing right behind him because he allowed his presence to be known.

Archer was startled and reacted purely on instinct, with reflexes honed through countless fights to the death, he spun while giving a perfectly executed chopping right, materializing Kanshou in the middle of the swing.

Unfortunately the other man was faster.

Crouching under the blade’s trajectory, the vampire wannabe threw expertly aimed blows at the pressure points under Archer's waist. Before he knew it, Archer felt a sudden numbing punch on his knee. Then his legs were swiped right from under him. He fell and before he could recover, he felt a hand grabbing the back of his head, that pushed his face right into the pavement, hard.

Archer wasn’t sure what the cracking sound was, the pavement or his teeth.

Still he was only momentarily dazed, whoever this guy was, he had used purely physical attacks, he’d felt no prana with the blows. And he was an eirei know, a heroic spirit, he could take much more punishment than this and barely bat an eyelid. This kind of attack couldn’t harm him, hurt him sure, but that’d only make him mad, and as soon as he was up again, he was going to kick this guy’s ass right into next wee…

He felt himself being pulled up by his coat and then the world exploded with pain.

Archer was completely right, the attacks he’d just received could not harm a heroic spirit, only annoy him.

Unfortunately, Rin’s magical attack was another matter entirely, his attacker, whoever he was, had correctly guessed Rin’s intentions, and thinking that it would be extremely unhealthy for him to receive her attack head on, had decided to use Archer’s body as a shield.

Through a haze of pain, he saw more than felt the pavement rising up to meet him once more. With considerable effort he moved his head, trying to look at Rin, to tell her to run away. But the dark man was upon her before she could prepare another jewel, grabbing his left arm by the wrist and using an aikido move, twisting it behind her back, effectively disarming her.

It was only then that Emiya Shirou appeared.

“Tohsaka?! Why are you… What is going on here?”

“That,” said the man in the cloak. “is what I’d like to know.”
    Last edited by JoeKerr; June 22nd, 2015 at 08:15 PM.

Been away for a while, but haven't abandoned this story. Still haven't managed to get a beta reader though. Any takers?

Anyways if anyone wanted to know what Bats and Lancer's first encounter was like, here's how.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lancer wasn’t too sure how to feel about right now.

Just when he’d finally caught up with the redheaded idiot, and was about to skewer him for the second time in the same night, a boot came out of nowhere and messed up his aim. Then came a fist aimed right at his nose, followed by an elbow and another boot right on his chest.

He’d avoided the last by jumping backwards and managed to get a good look at the cloak aficionado standing before him. Lancer noticed two things; one was that the guy with the pointy eared cowl seemed to be colder than ice. The second one was that he smelled of battles, both won and lost, of fighting, and most important of all, determination.

Maybe the night might not be completely wasted after all.

“I don’t know who you are, and frankly I don’t care. But I have business with the boy behind you, so if you wouldn’t mind stepping aside.”

There was a short silent pause which was broken by a cold hard voice.

“Over my dead body.”

Lancer nodded, there was steel in those words, they weren’t just a figure of speech. He meant them. Lancer smiled and stepped in, he thrust his lance forward, almost lazily. Testing the waters as it were to see what his opponent was capable of.

It proved to be a mistake, his opponent, able to feel the lack of killing intent in the blow took advantage of the relative sluggishness of the thrust, closing in the distance and stepping in right up next to Lancer, too close for the lance to be effective. From such close quarters, blows started to rain on Lancer. He tried to ignore them and used his lance as a staff, to bat away his opponent, to clear a space. It didn’t work, his enemy either slipped under his weapon or grabbed onto it whenever he tried to open a gap. The cloaked freak knew that the moment Lancer managed to put enough distance between them he’d be at a disadvantage, and he wasn’t going to let that happen.

Eventually as his temper began to flare, he decided to just damn it all to hell and screw the consequences. He made an obvious huge move, one that not only was telegraphed, but was an invitation for a counterattack. He wasn’t disappointed as he felt a boot hitting his face like a wrecking ball, actually throwing him a few feet away in the air.

He recovered almost instantly, apparently unharmed except for a tiny trickle of blood dripping from his nose. He brought up his lance in a defensive stance while he looked at the hunched figure standing a few feet away from him. With a smirk lancer reached towards his upper lip and rubbed the blood off with his thumb.

“First blood goes to you, congratulations! Problem is, now that you’ve shown me you can really fight, I’m going to take you seriously.”

His smile grew even more predatory as he concentrated his prana and began to chant the name of his cursed weapon.

“Gae…”

The world exploded in white brilliance cutting him off mid-phrase, he’d noticed his enemy throwing something at him, something metal, and of course he’d followed it with his eyes. He was sure that whatever it was he could block it with his lance before it touched him. But it never did, it exploded just before he could swat it away and now he was both blind and deaf. A condition that his opponent then made clear he didn’t share as Lancer felt the strongest blows yet. Strong enough to break the bones of anyone but an eirei. Aimed with almost surgical precision to pressure points and nerve clusters. He tried to scream and curse but found that even his throat had tensed too much to do so.

Somehow he managed to roll away through the haze of pain and disorientation and forced himself up on a crouching position, leaning on his lance for support. His vision was already coming back, the black spots focusing themselves into shapes, and the ringing on his ears lessening. The Dracula cosplayer didn’t follow his attack. Anger flared once more in Lancer, that was a mistake, as soon as he stood up he would…

He stopped himself, he’d already been taken by surprise twice. If he didn’t keep his cool there’d be a third, he must not underestimate his opponent.

He forced himself up, his limbs still felt numb from the strikes to the nerve clusters, but he could move, and his vision was almost clear now. Lancer smiled with the thrill of battle. To think he’d meet someone who made that red coated idiot look like an amateur so soon in the war.

Then his master’s voice cut across his mind, ordering him to retreat, to withdraw from battle. He couldn’t believe it, he’d been forced back, humbled by an opponent who only used his bare hands and now he was being told to retreat without being allowed to pay him back for it, to demonstrate what he was really capable of?

He gnashed his teeth together, he thought of disobeying, of standing where he stood and battling against this worthy adversary. But he knew better, his master wouldn’t hesitate to use a command spell to force him to comply, and do so in a very creative fashion, one he frankly, didn’t care to find out about firsthand.

So with all the strength he could muster, he jumped, away from the man in the cloak and the boy he’d already killed once tonight, but not without telling them that they’d meet again.

And Lancer swore that he would keep that promise.
    Last edited by JoeKerr; September 16th, 2015 at 06:21 PM.