Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51013141516 LastLast

Thread: TV General Thread

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Any of y'all been following The Good Place? I stumbled across the first season on Netflix about a week ago and fell in love almost instantly (still on season 1 though, so no spoilers!). Quirky yet surprisingly deep characters, great comedic situations and a simple but fascinating premise with lots of mystery to keep me wanting to know what happens next.

A little surprised how blasé most of the characters seem about the idea of literal eternal torture, but I suppose that's necessary for it to remain a comedy.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I love that show! I'm on season 3, though.
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; July 21st, 2019 at 12:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Just finished season 1 of The Good Place tonight. Holy crap that twist. I was kind of expecting something along those lines, but it still totally threw me for a loop when it happened.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I liked it but now I like it less.
    The show has an official behind the scenes podcast series too if interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    I just started American Vandal season 2, and it's already off to a fantastic start.

It's just the kind of insane I have come to love from Netflix shows like Danger 5.
    Season 2 was okay, but they kind of turned it more into an Agatha Christie mystery.
    The first season definitely felt stronger in terms of its meta-narrative which I really enjoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    I liked it and then I liked it less and then I saw the cast teaching Ted Danson to floss and now I like it more again.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Look up the German term for driver's license to get the joke.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, The Good Place is a smart show.

And speaking of shows with Kristen Bell, I just watched the fourth season of Veronica Mars.

It was fantastic, and my soul is now in tatters...
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Both movie and TV, but note that back in the day, despite using fists, both Superman and Batman killed (Zod; Joker, Penguin, and 2-Face), respectively. Nowadays, despite constantly using swords, the Once Upon a Time protagonists always spout some nonsense about heroes not killing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There is a certain irony that many western works have "ancient mystic arts" be stronger than guns, such as Jackie Chan Adventures (magic must defeat magic) and Charmed (firearms and fireballs don't mix), while many Japanese works have a bunch of old "mystic" hardheads get their asses beaten by modern weaponry, such as guns, including Gate and... really anything that takes place during the Sengoku era. This is probably because the Japanese were taught the hard way how ultimately useless "ancient mysticism" is against real firepower during historical battles, as the Battle of Nagashino and the Battle of Shiroyama, while historically, it was the westerners "teaching" the "lessons" to people, like the native Americans. Of course, there is stuff, like Star Wars, where analysts do show that lightsabers would have a harder time deflecting normal bullets than blaster fire:

And how the Battle of Geonosis actually did have heavy casualties.

However, because none of those casualties were important characters, shallow viewers end up not getting the proper message.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That kind of thing only happens in Sengoku anime. In every other case, the guy with the sword cuts the bullet in half. Even Black Lagoon the most "Fuck yeah, GUNS!" anime out there had six episodes of a yak with a sword wrecking groups with pistols and shotguns. The only reason it happens in GATE is because the author is a huge JDSF fanboy, as none of the gun stuff works when it the Chinese, Americans or Russians using them, only glorious Nippon.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For this purpose, I'm only referring to normal human vs. normal humans. Not normal humans vs. legal loli death gods. Or normal humans vs. whatever the fuck Anakin/Vader counts as. Again, as I mentioned, the important Jedi who survived during the Battle of Geonosis were super-mega-ultra-Force-sensitive ones. All the "normal" Jedi died. And I already mentioned the dangers of having your entire army rely on a single John Henry type man. Given that if he dies, your army does, too.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not sure where to put this but the first images of Netflix's Live Action adaptation of "Cowboy Bebop" have been revealed.

It doesn't look terrible I guess...But I'll still probably pass.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    A little disappointed the bowl of food on the table looks like noddles rather than a bunch of peppers.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Looks deliciously kitsch

Tbf noodles are cheaper than peppers so plain noodles seems peak poverty bounty hunter food
    don't quote me on this

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Movie preview stills always look bad, but the aesthetics seem pretty faithful to the show - and Yoko Kanno's in, too. I'm hopeful!
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone actually watched the new Netflix Resident Evil show? Because I keep seeing clips with the craziest lines/subs and I need to know if these are real or an elaborate joke. The last one had one character talking about how hard-to-get Deca-Dance was and the other saying it was "easy, just check Nyaa". I'd check it myself but it's going to be a few weeks before I can get enough people as drunk as I am to give it a shot.

If real though, it's one of the primest examples of carbon dating a show. Outside of putting in memes, like Emoji or Wreck-It Ralph 2 did. Like, Deca-Dance?!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias
    Has anyone actually watched the new Netflix Resident Evil show? Because I keep seeing clips with the craziest lines/subs and I need to know if these are real or an elaborate joke. The last one had one character talking about how hard-to-get Deca-Dance was and the other saying it was "easy, just check Nyaa". I'd check it myself but it's going to be a few weeks before I can get enough people as drunk as I am to give it a shot.

If real though, it's one of the primest examples of carbon dating a show. Outside of putting in memes, like Emoji or Wreck-It Ralph 2 did. Like, Deca-Dance?!
    Amazingly this is apparently actually legit. ANN has a source.

マリーの味方
    watched breaking bad. i originally tried watching it many years ago but stopped early in S3 for whatever reason, so half of it was basically a rewatch. but man i hate walt. i remember liking him somewhat last time but he is just a complete prick all the way through. like i felt bad for him at points and understand his perspective, but personality-wise he is just a prick. i think the only time i ever liked him was when he

Spoiler:
    ran over those guys who killed the kid to save jesse, basically the only moment in the entire show where he risked himself for someone else

also rip hank, he didn't deserve that end

Blog Entries
    Breaking bad is about walter's descent into the trench of immorality. He did not, however, tip-toe, or ease in. He just cannonballed into it like a motherfucker
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad