Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Was the Tsukihime Anime "That" Bad?

Inactive
    Blog Entries
    DEEN!FSN was the one who designed Archer's dope kanshou and Bakuya. So yeah, it was a classic. Plus, Tainaka Sachi is awesome.

The non-existent anime however… it does not exist period.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    I will forever keep reminding Inu that he restarted this.

DSN is fine. Bit ugly if you're used to the more recent Fate anime stuff but it does stuff well enough that you can enjoy it and not always ironically. It still did its job in spreading Fate and I daresay it comtributed to the absolute behemoth the Fate franchise became.
    The other one tho... I admit that there's dome enjoyment to be had with ironic jokes about it but even if I were to mellow out on it like I did on DSN I don't quite think I will ever fully forgive it for the damage and subsequent neglect unflicted on Tsukihime as a franchise.
    burn your dread you coward

US Friend Code
    Gotta love the revisionist history when the Deen anime is concerned.
    Sure. No one ever liked it. No one ever said it's good. It never had a score over 8 on MyAnimeList. Everyone always complained about the route mixing. 100%. No dishonesty whatsoever.

Now, I ain't saying it didn't get shit, but it gets way more shit than it used to.
    Which is kinda funny, since despite everything it is still on the better side of VN adaptations.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Honestly DEEN FSN is kind of weird with some character portrayals.

Like Shirou in it feels a lot more cheerful vs the more serious VN version.

As for the Tsukihime anime, all the character designs jn it make me feel everyone in it is just sad or melancholy or something.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six OnesFleetingGlory's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Back in the day, when I first watched Shingetsutan on TV, I was a bit confused with the way characters are behaving, but I get the outline is that it's about a boy with magical eyes helping female vampire hunt her own kind. Didn't give it much thought at the time and it was way before I played EXTRA and delved into Nasuverse, and was taken aback when the enemy Berserker seemed familiar. Kinda curious how it would turn up if the current J.C. Staff were given another chance to adapt Tsukihime.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkipRow View Post
    Sure. No one ever liked it. No one ever said it's good. It never had a score over 8 on MyAnimeList. Everyone always complained about the route mixing. 100%. No dishonesty whatsoever.

Now, I ain't saying it didn't get shit, but it gets way more shit than it used to.
    Which is kinda funny, since despite everything it is still on the better side of VN adaptations.
    I mean, what's it's best competition? Grisaia anime? The Higurashi adaptations, if you can even consider it a VN? Clannad?
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

マリーの味方
    Why would you not consider Higurashi a VN??

steins gate is generally well liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasu
    I don't care if it doesn't make sense. I don't have any intent of making it make sense.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant

I'd argue it has undergone a bit of a renaissance in the fandom, particularly after ufoBW released. Yea it isn't lumped in with the more recent stuff when talking about Fate: The Franchise™, but I'd argue it isn't so much hated by the fandom as it is simply dismissed or overlooked. I think nowadays ufoBW is the one that gets the most flack, people be acting like ufotable murdered their puppy with that one. Cheers for when HA gets animated so everyone will start hating on that, leaving space for the "actually it had some good stuff" phase to begin on ufoBW.

Might happen with "JC hime" too by the time the Akiha route gets animated by ufo, so in 200 years we could see a bit of that.
    burn your dread you coward

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPen94 View Post
    Might happen with "JC hime" too by the time the Akiha route gets animated by ufo, so in 200 years we could see a bit of that.
    If a single soul starts to say that it will be an easy way to tell they're full of shit. Alternatively, stupid.

Out of curiosity I did a watch of it not too long ago, and it was actually worse than I remembered. It's not even bad in a funny way, it's utterly snooze-inducing too. Just an overall bad experience.
    Last edited by Petrikow; April 3rd, 2022 at 05:12 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    If a single soul starts to say that it will be an easy way to tell they're full of shit. Alternatively, stupid.

Out of curiosity I did a watch of it not too long ago, and it was actually worse than I remembered. It's not even bad in a funny way, it's utterly snooze-inducing too. Just an overall bad experience.
    Terrible pacing?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    They've basically excised most of the plot in favor of a bunch of anime-original slice-of-life episodes where the cardboard-tier characters exchange stiff dialogue and do just about everything to avoid being interesting.

One can sort of understand this creative decision when one gets to actually watching the plot-relevant action scenes because they're animated as if they were made in powerpoint and are almost invariably impossible to take seriously. It's a shame they're so rare then, because it's about the only time the anime is enjoyable, if only because of how comically bad the choreography and animation is.
    Last edited by Petrikow; April 3rd, 2022 at 05:59 PM.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    DEEN/Stay Night was a failure as an anime, in that it didn't actually animate anything. It came at a point when the majority of DEEN's works were adaptations (sometimes adaptations of adaptations) churned out by the dozen just to build up money for doing the occasional anime they actually gave a shit about, and while they had some fairly beautiful moments, their idea of action "animation" was literally just still shots with speed or impact lines over them. Sometimes looking like they were literally just traced from the VN stills.

I don't remember much of Tsuki's anime at this point, other than remembering thinking the music was great, all of the characters looked as ugly as they could possibly be without actively trying to make ugly characters, and that, yeah, the majority of its animation looked like cutouts being moved about in front of a still background.

I still have no idea whatsoever why people are hating on ufoUBW. It was as well done as an adaptation could expect to be, especially a series with so much stuff going on internally.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternative Ice View Post
    steins gate is generally well liked
    That's definitely a good one, yes
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    I don't remember much of Tsuki's anime at this point, other than remembering thinking the music was great, all of the characters looked as ugly as they could possibly be without actively trying to make ugly characters, and that, yeah, the majority of its animation looked like cutouts being moved about in front of a still background.
    Agree with you on the Tsuki anime OST (excellent VA cast as well). But I never understood why the Tsuki anime character designs were so poorly received. Early 2000s TV anime had a lot of janky character designs, and the original VN has several infamously odd CGs (giraffe neck Akiha, anyone?). The anime designs were not a significant downgrade from early Takeuchi art.

What I have trouble forgiving is the filler amusement park episode that didn't fit the tone of the story at all, and how Shiki's personality was altered vs. the source material. These were unforced errors that cannot be explained away by a low budget.

Blog Entries
    Meh, looking at them I do think they're much worse than Takeuchi's art, and I am quite fond of the originals. Matter of taste, simply.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    I will say that as someone who looked at the anime designs before even reading the VN, they feel weirdly...off. The best way I could describe it is that all of the chicks kind of look like guys, and generally all of the characters look pretty similar if you look at their facial structure. Also their necks always seemed weirdly thick to me.

Blog Entries
    KnK loses 50 points for that ridiculous spinning camera it had during the last fight of the 5th movie.
    YES

UBW is a masterpiece in comparison.
    NO
    I think it goes: "I don't trust people like me." — no, that's not it…

Quote Originally Posted by Namelesss
    Quote me on this, 10 years from now TM will not release a global VN work.

Yes.

what is there to discuss about the one adaptation universally despised by both shroom and his fans (especially tsuki ones)?

Yes. The music is the only redeeming factor but other than that it sucked. Not only because it mixed too much of the routes it derived from the original VN's plot but the animation itself is so fucking stiff it feels like every character moves like Hisui literally.

Although i liked the designs i don't know why but it just feels fitting for a dark themed anime. I love how every character changes clothes every now and then and with how they mixed SHIKI and Roa's design together.
    Last edited by ShinjiDidNothingWrong; July 5th, 2022 at 10:52 PM.