Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [ ] Quest

Ginger Magus

[ blank ] Quest

Blank Quest is a story of [ INSERT ANSWER HERE ].

It is set in the small country of Estonia, sprinkled with a little magic and moved forward by the choices you make. After each installment, you get to decide how Arvi is going to act. There are no pre-written options to choose from; you have to think of what to do yourself. Sometimes it might appear as if you only have a couple of actions, sometimes more. By thinking outside the box and by being thorough, you can try to think of a way to refuse even an offer which you can't refuse.

There are no Bad Ends, Good Ends or Harem Ends. However you end up, is the true ending to this story. Should your actions get Arvi killed? Then that will be that.

index

blank 1
    blank 2
    blank 3
    blank 4
    blank 5

blank 1

I didn't know what was happening at the time, as the unbelievable sight in front of me turned me into a dumfounded fool.

The scene which played in front of me could only be described as full-blown war. While my eyes could only barely keep up with the incredibly fast movements of the two participants of the fight, I instinctively felt that either of those two fighters is more dangerous than any army.

'I need to turn back immediately,' I thought with the rational part of my mind, yet I was unable to fulfill my own command. I was captivated by this dangerous situation; how they made all of their unnatural actions seem so natural and easy. The oddest thing of all, however, was the fact that one of the combatants - on old man with a bald head, a meter long grey beard wearing a black suit without a tie - had been on the defensive side the entire time. Not once did he attack. All the man did was dodge his opponents attacks. And what an opponents she was: a young woman with raven hair, wearing a white tank-top and a long black skirt, coupled with a belt which carried the weight of five sheathed swords and two empty sheaths.

"What's wrong, Erik? Has age finally caught up even to you?" taunted the woman in a mocking tone, even though it was clear to me that she was just stalling for time in order to catch her breath.

The old man - apparently Erik - gave a big and a carefree yawn, after which he responded in a very deep voice, "I might be old enough to spank your behind, girl," the woman cringed upon hearing that comment, but Erik continued as if nothing was wrong' "but at least my concentration is not limited to one person, namely me."

The woman sheathed one of her swords and replaced it with a completely pitch-black one. She narrowed her eyes and asked, "What do you mean, Erik the Baptist?" The last part was uttered with a particularly scornful voice.

Erik smiled. "My dear Anna-Liisa, don't tell me you haven't noticed that young boy hiding behind those crates over there and giving us the occasional wide-eyed peeks?"

'What? The baldie had been aware of my presence the entire time? How in the hell?

"Just listen to his heartbeat, Anna-Liisa. Do you hear how it's getting faster and faster?"

'I need to run away as fast as possible, but there's no way I'd make it out of here in one piece.'

"I bet the kid's thinking about making a break for it right about now," Erik said with a grin, still keeping his eyes glued to his opponent.

A step.

I emerged from behind the crates and put on the most confident expression as I could. I was holding a smartphone in my hands.

"I'm going to turn around and leave now without being interrupted by either of you," I said.

Anna-Liisa narrowed here eyes. "You sure seem confident in yourself."

"I am," I replied, meeting her gaze. "I recorded and uploaded your little fight sequence along with your threats to me." Erik did not lose the smile on his face. It actually grew wider as he began stroking his beard. Anna-Liisa's expression revealed traits of confusion. Attempting to keep the momentum going, I continued, "The video is already on YouTube's server, along with the video description blaming you two for my disappearance and possible murder. The video is going to be published automatically in an hour unless I personally take it down." I took a deep breath and added one more thing, "I have over 1.5 million subscribers."

Upon hearing that, Erik whistled. Anna-Liisu seemed agitated and asked, "Servers, YouTube and subscribers? What the hell are you on about? I will simply skewer you with my sword and that will be the end of it!"

"See, dear girl," said Erik moving from his beard caressing to mustache curling. "This bum over here is saying that unless we allow him to walk away unharmed, 1.5 million people are going to have your lovely face in the palm of their hands, being able to see the movements of your young and ample body over and over again." He licked his lips. "Oh, and of course you'll have blown your cover. Well played, well played, young man." He took a step forward. "But tell me, how did a homeless man get famous on the internet?"

"I'm doing a social experiment on how people treat such people," I said without hesitation. "How else do you think I could afford such a sweet phone?"

He took another stop towards me. From far away, he had looked like an average sized man, but seeing him up close, I realized just how huge he was, both it height and in weight.

"I see," said the towering man. "You seem like a really ballsy go-getter type. You just got a new subscriber." He put his hand on my shoulder, looked straight into my eyes, and asked, "What is your username?"

. . .

As soon as our gazes met, I knew that he'd be able to distinguish any lies from falsehood. I thought back to my old life and remembered an old-forgotten name.

"GarageMan17"

. . .

His blue eyes did not betray his feelings.

Without another word to me, the giant released my shoulder and turned around. "I would leave this one be, if I were you." He put both of his hands together and said, "Until we meet again, Anna-Liisa. Võtmaks Teist Kuju"

As soon as he had finished his sentence, all I saw was a bright flash, and immediately after that, there were only two people left in that alley.

The woman sheathed her swords. "Depending on whet you started spying on us, you might have misunderstood everything about... this situation. That man isn't called Erik the Baptist for nothing." She turned her eyes away. "I hope I'll never see you again, GarageMan." And with those words, she left after picking up a cloak from the ground to conceal her swords.

As I watcher her walk away, I realized how screwed I am. Even though I can usually bullshit my way through anything if I'm under pressure, I messed up royally. While it was true that I once posted videos of me singing onto YouTube, that had been a long time ago, back when I still had a place to call my home. Even back then, I only had 7 subscribers.

I pocketed the phone I had found on the street just an hour ago and sat down. I hugged my knees. A stream of tears flowed down my cheeks.
    end

What is our main character, what are we going to do? There are no options to choose from, there are only blanks and your own ideas.
    Last edited by Certis Baliano; January 5th, 2016 at 08:27 PM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Yato's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Our character is a otaku (who is a huge fan of the nasuverse in particular) with the abilty to bring anime characters into real world. He did so with his favorite action drama and this is the result. He then tries to go hit on Anna-Liisa.
    Idk roleplaying seems kind of dead atm i just put up my silly idea
    Last edited by Yato; December 17th, 2015 at 11:00 PM.
    [01:10] <Pai> But... but...
    [01:10] <Pai> Guys, I've been skipping the rolling animations.
    [01:10] <Orange> don't give up
    [01:10] <drakon136> don't do that
    [01:10] <Pai> I am already down 3000 dollars btw.
    [01:10] <@Lianru> oh my god
    [01:10] <Pai> In 10 minutes.
    [01:10] <Orange> wait you already rolled 3000 dollars in 10 minutes?
    [01:10] <Reiu> jesus christ
    [01:10] <Orange> how many quartz is that
    [01:10] <@Lianru> 6k
    [01:11] <@Lianru> ish
    [01:11] <Orange> 3000 dollars or 3000 quartz
    [01:11] <I3uster> dont u sometimes think pai
    [01:11] <Pai> Dollars.
    [01:11] <I3uster> u could literally buy a hooker to dress up as scathach at that price
    [01:11] <Pai> A... real woman?

"I might be old enough to spank your behind, girl," the woman upon hearing that comment, but Erik continued as if nothing was wrong"
    Missing a verb here.

Otherwise I love our protag already. Now that's thinking on your feet! Seems very genre savvy and has the cool head in a crisis to make use of it.

Seeing as Anna-Liisa is not yet around to hit on, protag makes his way to the local place of worship to beg for mercy from a higher power, while en route reminiscing on how he got to this point.

Ginger Magus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremela View Post
    Missing a verb here.
    Fixed.

Otherwise I love our protag already. Now that's thinking on your feet! Seems very genre savvy and has the cool head in a crisis to make use of it.
    Awesome!

Seeing as Anna-Liisa is not yet around to hit on, protag makes his way to the local place of worship to beg for mercy from a higher power, while en route reminiscing on how he got to this point.
    And that's the way the story crumbles.

blank 2

'Move,'
    I thought to myself. 'I can't stay here because they - or at least he - will come back to find me. I know it.'

I wiped my eyes clean with my sleeve and stood up. With heavy steps, I started walking towards a place I had sworn never to visit again.

'It's pretty funny to think how few promises I've actually kept in my life. Althought, I suppose the only person to find it amusing is myself.'

As I walked down the street, I felt a couple of rain drops fall on top of my head. Soon enough, the irregular stings had turned into a slow but steady downpour. I stopped my walk and looked up to see the sky full of dark clouds. I smiled, ignoring the rain's direct contact with my face. Unlike most people I've known, the rain has never bothered me. Quite contrary, I actually prefered the days when it rained because it usually meant the streets were as empty as they could be.

Whoosh.

A strong gust of wind interrupted my thoughts and nearly landed me on my feet. 'I should hurry up. The Church isn't far away now.' I pulled my black coat tighter and pressed on.

The place of my destination - the Church of Karl - was only about a 10 minute walk away because the alley I had met the two warriors happened to be in the Old Town, the same place as the Church. While the city of Tallinn had many distinctive districts, Old Town was its oldest and most famous one. During the medieval times, it was the city. And what a city it was; narrow streets filled with cobblestones, ancient looking watchtowers looming over you menacingly and to top it all off, the entire Old Town was surrounded by castle walls. If you went high enough to a watch platform, overlooking the entire city, you'd probably be amazed at how this relic of the past with its bright orange tiled rooftops has survived and stayed unchanged, even in this modern age.

'I know I was.'

Usually, the Old Town was bustling with young students out on a class field trip, older students discovering new alleyways leading to bars which were only known in certain social circles or most commonly, tourists with their sun-hats, shorts and cameras. Fortunately, it was late and it was raining; the two most effective ways of clearing out my favorite part of the town.

It was twelve minutes past eleven once I arrived in front of the church. I knew that because the Church of Karl had an enourmous clock between its two twin towers. The heavy twin-doored front entrance was directly below the clock.

'Everything will be fine. Things will go well. You can do this.' Gathering up my courage, I entered the Church.

As I stepped inside, my body shuddered instinctively. 'I'm only cold. There's no other reason. Not a single one,' I told myself. And as soon as I had almost convinced myself, I saw him, giving a speech to the three people in the large Church hall. He met my gaze, but kept talking as if nothing had happened. I decided to take a seat.

Squish.

. . .

Squish, squish.

Due to me having gotten soaked from my head to my toes, every single step of mine made a particularly loud sound in the large cathredal. One old lady, sitting in the front row turned her attention towards me and gave me a disapproving stare.

Squish, squish, squish, squish.

I slowly made my way to the back row and took a seat. The fact that I was dripping from my hair, clothes and boots did not improve my situation as the lady stared at me for a long time until finally shaking her head and refocusing her eyes towards father Hannes, a priest as old as me - that is, 22 - yet who was usally mistaken for an old man, for his face was wrinkled, his hair grey and he needed a cane to walk properly.

"Now this is where I had originally planned to end tonight's sermon, but standing here in front of you all, I can't help but to find it fitting to leave you with a different set of parting words," Hannes said in a surprisingly boomy voice.

'I see why he doesn't need a microphone anymore.'

"I'd like all of you to think back to your childhood. If you go far enough, I'm sure it will be easy to find some kind of betrayal there," he said while looking directly at me. "Perhaps it was as simple as your best friend deciding she no longer wishes to sit next to you in class, perhaps it was as severe as revealing a secret you entrusted them with." He moved his long grey bangs behind his ears and continued, "Or perhaps, due to the actions of the person you trusted with all your life, almost takes yours? Should that person, a monster who has broken the sacred trust between the two of you, be allowed back into your life, to be forgiven? Should they simply appear right in front of you this very night, what would you say to them?" The priest sighed and looked as if he had calmed himself down. "That is what I want you to think about as you're walking home tonight. Amen."

He walked down from the podium, gave me one last look of disgust and entered a room on the left side of the Church - the chamber of the Head of the Church.

'Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't throw me out right there on the spot. I suppose we're off to a good start."

I waited until all of the visitors had left the church. Naturally, the old lady was the last to leave. However, what surprised me was that she didn't just exit like everyone else. Instead, she stopped behind me and tapped me on the shoulder.

"Young man. Look at me when I'm talking to you, young man!" she said with her volume rising.

I turned around slowly, looked at her and said with the worst accent I could muster up, "I I'm sorry. I no speak-uh. I no speak this language very well."

Hearing my response, it was clear as day as I had made her mood even worse than it already was. She wagged her finger and said, "Now listen here, you dirty little rascal. When you're living in this country, there are certain rules one should follow. The first, of course, being the ability to speak the language! Dear heaven, is this what the world has come-"

"I sorry," I interrupted, while frowning. "I understand not. What say you? Simple, please."

"Ugh! It's because of people like you why this city is going downhill. I hope you stay in this church and never come out. Maybe you'll actually learn something of use!" she said, as she stormed out of the Church.

I couldn't help but to give out a small chuckle. "Bloody hell. This night keeps getting better and better." I looked up at the altar and and muttered, "Sorry. Not here. I know, I know."

I stood up, walked up to Hannes' room and knocked.

"Come in, father Arvi," said a voice from inside.

"I guess I deserved that," I replied as I entered the room and closed the door behind me.

“It’s incredible, you don’t look a day over 18,” he said with contempt. “Arvi, you deserve a whole lot more, and you know it."

I sat down next to Hannes and nodded. 'Yes, I do.’

Hannes and I used to be best friends. We grew up next to each other, went to the same school and even decided to beome priests after graduation. Our reasons for enlisting, however, were quite different. Hannes had always been a very religious person and considered it to be an honor if he could make other people believe in something, anything really. He had always been good at turing people into better versions of themselves, even me.

My reasons for donning a priest's robe were different. The fact whether any greater power exists or not never bothered nor interested me. I was in it for the lore. What a lot of people do not realize is how deep the mythological rabbit hole is. The reason why I became a priest was so I could have access to old texts and scriptures that ordinary people could not even look at.

I remember begging my parents to hire me a personal Latin tutor so I could read the pieces of text I found online on my own, without the interpretation of any translators. After many years, they gave in and I dove into my own little world, obsessing over them. Of course, most of the so called undiscovered hidden texts that I pain-stakingly translated as a student, turned out to be bogus. However, during our annual Spring Cleaning, I found something interesting in the Church of Karl. Namely, a secret passage to an underground chamber.

In that chamber, I found a scroll with specific instructions for a ritual; the Ritual of Life. I managed to contain my curiosity only for about twenty minutes. After that, I prepared the room as described, arranging objects in a particular way, drawing a circle with chalk and scribbling down runic symbols. Once I had prepared everything, I stopped to think about the whole thing.

"What if it actually works? The scroll says that the person standing in the middle of the circle will activate it with his blood in order to receive the life energy of all the living creatures inside the sacrificial walls. Well, I think I can test it out with a rat. I mean, if it works, I bet the circle will light up at least."

And with that naive mindset, I caught three rats from our chapes, trying to ignore the odd looks and mocking one-liners that my fellow priests gave me, one of them being Hannes.

With the rats in hand, I set them loose inside the secret chamber, pricked my fingertip with a knife and uttered the words inscribed to the paper. At the time, I was hoping that something would happen, I honestly didn't think that anything would. Certainly not what followed.

As soon as my blood hit the floor, the white chalk lines turned blood-red and I immediately knew that something had gone very wrong. I heard screams from upstaris, horrible and mangled screams of people being out of breath, of people clawing their own skin of people yelling in agony. So, so many screams. Yet, every single time a scream faded, my body shuddered involuntarily and I felt more... powerful, more youthful, more alive.

It was then that I saw Hannes lunging at me, with terror in his eyes

I'm not sure which one of us was scared more at that moment: he or I, because right in front of my very eyes, I saw my best friend age in mere moments
    His lunge knocked me away from the magic circle, ending the ritual instantly. Hannes' last words to me before passing out were, "What have you done, Arvi?"

I tried waking Hannes up, but I was unable to do so. Realizing that he's still alive, I decided to flee the chamber and see what happened upstairs. I grabbed the scroll and headed up the stairs, noticing that all of the chalk marks had disappeared from the ground. Even before arriving on the ground floor, I smelled something foul. Upon reaching the main hall, I realized why.

Pretty much all of the spots on the benched were filled with people - or rather, the skeletal remains of former people. Every single person's life besides Hannes and I, had been eliminated. Due to a particularly bad stroke of luck, the ritual took place during noon, on a Sunday - during a time when the Church is usually filled to the brink. There must have been at least a couple hundred people in attendance.

My mind went blank and I ran from the church.

It was a wise move to pack the most essential things I had and never look back, because just an hour later, I saw police cars near my house.

A year after that incident, I happened to see a news report at a local soup kitchen. Apparently, the police was still interested in find me, even then.

“Hannes, I need your help,” I said with a completely straight face.

“Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Wait, wait. Hold on, I need to catch my breath. Okay. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!” He started laughing so strong that he had to wipe tears away from his eyes. “The fact that I have seen you on the street a few times and not turned you in is well beyond any sort of help you’d expect from me. Why on Earth do you think you deserve more than that?”

‘Should I tell him that I found a way to transfer that excess life energy inside of me to another person? It will not make him young again, but still… Whatever I do, I don’t think I have much time left before Erik or Anna-Liisa finds me.’

end

What say you? What do you? What feel you?
    Last edited by Certis Baliano; December 18th, 2015 at 06:32 PM.

Ooooooh

"You know I never meant to kill anyone! And I've found a way to give what I... took back to the world, even if I can't bring back the dead..."

JP Friend Code
    Wow
    How bout we go conduct the ritual in the town square and become the super powerful villain this story deserves
    [01:11] <I3uster> u could literally buy a hooker to dress up as scathach at that price

Ginger Magus
    I'm actually torn between choosing from these two radically different ideas.

I need to think about this (unless someone comes in and supports one of your guys' ideas).

Blog Entries
    I support the former one.
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Erlkonig View Post
    I support the former one.
    aww his idea seemed rather plain and boring

Quote Originally Posted by Yato View Post
    aww his idea seemed rather plain and boring
    His? His? I'll have you know I'm a pan-gender-fluid nebulae who uses glitter/gem/snowself pronouns!

- - - Updated - - -

/s

Gorgeous~! Happy~! Elegant~! Bobin's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    "You know I never meant to kill anyone! And I've found a way to give what I... took back to the world, even if I can't bring back the dead..."
    Going with this one.
    BL Character Defining Lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    It's hard having so much online charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I am an immortal bisexual rainbow motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Despite common belief, I am not actually that big on tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Anal isnt the only thing you can do without a vagina, Strife-chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I am the greatest and most successful democratic reformer BL has ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel View Post
    Manly men doing manly and GAR stuff always gives me such a raging MANBONER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delzor View Post
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by successor of the Matou family
    "Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"

JP Friend Code
    you guys are no fun

Ginger Magus

blank 3

“You know I never meant to kill anyone! And I’ve found a way to give what I… took back to the world, even if I can’t bring back the dead…” I blurted out.

Hearing that, I saw the eyes of my former friend widen. He stood up from his comfortable-looking chair, made his way to the cupboard and took out two glasses along with a bottle of old wine. My father had given it to both of us as our graduation gift, seeing as there was rarely a day when he was not hanging around our house. It even got to the point where my parents asked him to do chores around the house. It was a bit weird since whenever I had wanted to visit him, he had some kind of an excuse as to why I couldn’t come that day Eventually I stopped trying.

Even though the bottle was already half-empty, I knew that he had not tasted it yet. The bottle was already in that state when it was given to us. It was slightly more full when my dad got it from his grandfather, which in turn was even more full when he got it from his father and so forth. I wouldn’t even be able to guess from what year it’s from since according to my grandfather, “I remember the day your father came to me with a clever expression and showed me the bottle without a label. He told me that it will now be passed down as the legendary Mysterious Liquified Vintage. What a load of crock! Kek kek kek, that little brat could’t sit down without wincing in pain for a whole week after that, ayup!”

Needless to say, we weren’t on best terms with him.

He placed the glasses onto a table in front of his chair, sat down, poured both of them full and put the empty bottle next to the glasses. I watched him in silence as he took a long sip and then said with a calm expression, “The funny thing is, Arvi, that I was planning on emptying this bottle tomorrow, but after hearing those words, I felt like I could use a drink right now.” He took another sip and continued, “For you see, the tradition of passing down this bottle ends with us. An old priest and a wanted criminal. Neither of us is going to have a family.”

I took a sip as well, but immediately spat it out. “Eugh,” I moaned. “I have a strong theory about the beginning of this bottle-giving tradition. This wine tastes absolutely horrible!”

“Does it? This is my first time drinking any sort of alchohol, so I assumed it to be part of the charm,” Hannes responded after taking another sip.

“Why are you still drinking it?”

“To take my mind off other things.” My face straightened up. “For the last week or so, I’ve had to convince myself to get up from bed. Not because I would like to get a couple hours worth of extra sleep, but because I feel like if I don’t do my job, my duty that day, I might as well not wake up at all. And more ond more, I’ve started thinking that such a solution might not be all that bad.” He drank once more.

“Hannes, like I told you a moment ago, I… can help.” He took yet another sip. “I’m fairly certain that you won’t get your youthful appearence back, but it will clear your fatigue and restore your will to live. It’s the least I can do. Please allow me to help.”

Hannes finished his glass, then downed the contents of mine as if it was a shot, then said, “Let us go to the place where it all began.”

I had instructed Hannes to remain silent during the ceremony.

I cleared my mind. I could not allow any distractions to cause my concentration to falter. After escaping from this place, years ago, I examined the scroll more closely, trying to understand the meaning behind every word, every part of it. After I was convinced of my understanding, I burned it. I wanted to make sure no-one else would repeat that tragedy.

“Haa,” I took a deep breath.

Before me stood the man I once called a friend. He was naked from waist up. I needed to inscribe the incantiation onto his skin, so using his chest made the most sense. Such a thing was necessary in order to prevent this ritual from taking a bite out of unplanned targets again. I had theorized that the reason why I absorbed the life of everyone in the church was because of the location of my magical circle. Since there were no range-limits in the spell itself, I believed that by using the Church floor as the spell’s origin point, it automatically contained its effect within its walls.

I took out a permanent marker and started writing down symbols on his body. Hannes kept looking at me with an unsure expression, but true to his word, he kept his mouth shut. From the beginning, I had been convinced that the symbols used were not random nor made up. They had felt too real, too systematic. I had noticed patterns which eventually lead me to more or less deciphering its system. The problem was, that they were only theories. I had never actually dared to put them into practice. Fortunately, we were the only two living souls around.

‘And now for the final part, the amount of energy transferred.’

The reason why the original spell had taken everyone’s lives was simple - there were no limits imposed on it so it just kept on taking until there was nothing more to take. This time around, I wanted to avoid such an outcome, meaning that I had to add a new parameter in there - a numerical limit.

‘I believe he’d be happy if I told him he had a 100 more years to live.’

I smiled as I drew the final runes. Hannes looked like an overeager tattoo-lover. “The preparations have been finished. Hand me that knife, will you? I need a drop of blood in order to get this magic train moving.” I said. He complied.

I took his hand in mine, establishing a connection through which my life could flow to him. Then I pricked his finger with the knife and pressed it on top of the magical symbols. The moment I did so, I felt as if all of my senses were under attack, as if they were invaded by someone else, as if someone was taking my very essence away. I felt powerless, sick and weak. It felt as I had been stuck in time for an eternity.

The eternity was made worse by waves of unbelievable pain, originating from inside of me and slowly leaving my body like currents. The precise moment when I felt free of the pain, another wave started making its way through my body as the whole process repeated itself over and over again.

Forever.

When the eternity finally ended, I felt nothing.

I slowly opened my eyes.

I was laying in a bed, staring at the unmoving ceiling fan.

‘This isn’t the Church,’ I thought as I looked around my surroundings. I noticed that I was in a plain-looking room. I could not see a single piece of decoration anywhere in sight. In fact, there was barely anything at all in that room. Between those grey walls, I could see a radiator next to my bed. Near the balcony was a desk. A familiar raven-haired woman was sitting on a chair next to it with her head on the table. Due to her luscious curls, I could not see her face, but I was fairly certain that she was asleep.

I tried to sit up, but the instant I tried to do so, I felt the voice of every single nerve in my body telling me to lay back down. A strange and animalistic cry escaped my throat as my body fell back down onto the bed.

I heard the sound of a sword being sheathed. I turned my head towards the origin of the sound and saw Anna-Liisa. She was still wearing the same clothes that I last saw her in.

“I almost cut your head off. I have never heard such bizarre cries of pain before,” she said.

I was unsure of myself, but I thought I saw her smirk, just for a moment. As it was dark in the room, it wasn’t very easy to read her facial expressions. The only thing which illuminated the apartment was the moonlight shining down on us from the balcony window.

She crossed her arms and said, “I never would have figured you for a Sorcerer, and a Holy one at that. For a guy who can afford to burn 5 years like it was nothing, you have done a remarkable job of staying incognito.”

I tensed up. “What do you mean by ‘affording to lose 5 years’?”

“Don’t play dumb. I’m exceptionally good at gauging anyone’s age. A useful trait, I know.” I thought I saw her smirk again. “The last time I saw you, you looked as if you were almost 19. Now, I’d say you look around 24. Using that much juice to power your spells is no joke, but seeing the condition you’re in, I suppose you must have not had any other choice. Now, tell me what happened.”

‘This is no time for bullshit. I’m way over my head and the only way to understand what’s going on, is to be honest.’

“I used a ritual to transfer some of my life to my friend, but I’m thinking that something might have gone wrong.”

Anna-Liisa dropped her jaw. “You mean to tell me that you’ve found a way to transfer life-energy from one living person to another? Wait… Ordinarilarly I would smack you for even joking about something like that, but I did feel an amazing burst of energy being used inside the Church. It might have even been as big as that one time at the same Church… If that’s the case, then of course! If it’s Holy magic, perhaps such a thing is possible.”

I gathered my willpower, prepared my mind for the upcoming pain and tried to sit up so I could look her in the eye. I made it about half-way there before she used two fingers to push my head back onto the pillow. As she did so, I noticed something I had previously been unaware of; namely, her beautiful green eyes.

“You need to rest. Swinging serious magic like that around is no joke.” Anna-Liisa crossed her arms again. “So you’re saying that there was no fight, no resistance. All you did was transfer five years of your life to your friend, and because of that, you’re essentially in a coma?”

“I can’t be in a coma if I’m conscious.”

“That’s irrelevant.”

I sighed in defeat. “That incident which happened a couple of years back at the Church, I was the cause of it.” Anna-Liisa tensed up. “174 people lost their lives that day. And all of those lives… were transferred over to me. I thought that by modifying the original spell, I could transfer some of it back to my friend. Everything should have worked, in theory. Since the only new component used in the spell was the energy limiter, I’m guessing the fault lies in that.”

She listened to my story with a calm expression. When I finished, she asked me in a strangely cold voice, “What rune did you use for your limit?”

“I honestly have no idea. By analyzing the rest of the spell, I assumed that the symbol for ‘100’ would look like this.” After saying so, I used my finger to draw the shape of three runes into the air.

Seeing that, Anna-Liisa bolted to her desk, pulled out a pencil and a piece of paper, scribbled something on there and came back. She showed the piece of paper to me and asked if I meant those three. I nodded.

“I can’t believe it. I honestly don’t know whether to laugh or cry right now,” said Anna-Liisa. “Upon first seeing you, I thought that you were a smart-mouthed geek. The second time I saw you, I believed you to be a potential match against Erik himself, but now… Now I realize how incredible it is for you to even be alive right now!”

“Calm down and stop yelling at-“

“Shut up!” yelled Anna-Liisa even louder. “You murdered almost two hundred people by playing around with a spell you did not even properly understand! Listen up, asshole. You did not give your friend a hundred years of your stolen life; you gave him ten thousand.” My mind went blank. “No wonder your body is so fucked up right now. You know what? This is perfect. You go ahead and stay in that bed until I come back, then we’ll have a nice and long chat about your future.”

She gave me a disgusted look, grabbed her coat from the chair and left the apartment by slamming the door.

end

What is Arvi going to do? Only you can decide that.
    Last edited by Certis Baliano; December 20th, 2015 at 01:20 PM.

So we finally have a name!
    Quote Originally Posted by Certis Baliano View Post
    “Does it? This is my first time drinking any sort of alchohol, so I assumed it to be part of the charm,” Hannes responded after taking another sip.
    Is he not a priest for a Christian "church" then? or is it one of those denominations where they use grape juice instead?

That talk between Hannes and Arvi had the problem I've been guilty of when writing dialogue, that it's really difficult to work out who's saying what.

Listen up, asshole. You did not give your friend a hundred years of your stolen life; you gave him ten thousand.
    Lel.

So Anna-Liisa knows runes and magic?

What happened to Hannes?...

JP Friend Code
    arvi is smitten and waits for her to return

Ginger Magus
    Is he not a priest for a Christian "church" then? or is it one of those denominations where they use grape juice instead?
    He's a priest of a Lutheran Church.

Quote Originally Posted by Yato View Post
    arvi is smitten and waits for her to return
    Winner!

blank 4

‘I finally find an interesting girl and my opening line to her is “Hey, baby, ever met a mass-murderer before?”’
    I sighed. ‘Bloody hell, I need to get some fresh air.’

I threw away the blanket on top of me and tried my best to ignore the pain which was caused by any sort of movement. My mind was hazy and my ears were ringing. I entered the balcony. The moment I did so, my mind cleared up and I realized four very important things. First, it was cold outside, and very windy. Second, I was on the ninth floor. Third, I had not a single item of clothing on me. Fourth, Anna-Liisa looking right at me from the street.

I ran back inside and closed the door. I shivered, partly due to the cold and partly due to embarassment.

‘Hold on. I don’t remember undressing. Actually, I don’t remember anything what happenend after the ritual.’ My eyes widened. ‘Hannes! I need to make sure that he’s —‘ “Achoo!”

I wiped my nose clean. ‘Okay, warmth first, Hannes second.’

I decided to look around the apartment in hopes of finding my clothes. The apartment was extremely small so I was sure it would take me no time at all, and I was right. It did take me no time at all to come to the conclusion that my clothes were not there.

‘This is the only way,’ I thought while staring at a closet which I had found during my search for clothes. I realized that I could’ve simply gone back to bed and slept until Anna-Liisa’s arrival, but I did not want to do that. ‘I shoud be proactive, not simply sleep what’s left of my life away. Even if it means wearing…’

Inside the closet were two sets of identical clothes: combat boots, long skirt, tank top and leather jacket. The only non-black things in the closet were the tank tops; they were white. I took one set and put everything on, including the jacket.

I closed the closet door and looked at the mirror hanging there. ‘If it wasn’t for my stubble, people could actually mistake me for a woman from afar,’ I thought. Out on the streets, people did not put much thought into their appearence and because of that, I noticed that my blonde hair had already grown past my shoulders.

I wanted to call and check up on Hannes, but I realized that my phone - or rather, the phone I found - was gone along with my pants. Even if I had had it, I doubted that it would've worked. Smartphones had a tendency to stop working when they were drenched in water.

Making my way to the kitchen, I took out a pot from one of the cupboards. Due to my hunt for clothes, I had a good feel for the place. Finding things was no longer a problem. I filled the pot with tap water, then fired up the stove and placed the pot there.

‘I haven’t had coffee in god knows how long. I’m sure she won’t mind if I make some.’

After finishing my fourth cup, I leaned back on the chair and looked outside the balcony window.

‘This night view is gorgeus,’ I thought, realizing why she had placed her desk there. Just by looking outside and seeing the entire neighbourhood, I felt calm and peaceful. Even the pain had become a lesser issue. I took a deep breath and finally glanced away. I needed something to do so I began shuffling through the drawers of the desk, hoping to find a book or something else which would allow me to pass the time.

“What’s this?” I muttered aloud.

At the bottom-most drawer, was a thick notebook. The cover was made of leather. I could tell it was old just by smelling it. It was actually really nostalgic, as I had spent most of my life amidst old archives and dusty libraries. I flipped through the pages, noticing two distinct handwriting styles. The large majority of the text was written in big and sloppy letters while most of the corrections or footnotes were written in a small and neat style.

‘This is about magic,’ I realized.

I lit the desk lamp and started reading from the beginning. The fact that the first page was covered in blood-spatters immediately caught my eye.

My dearest daughter,

Despite my best efforts, you have gone to great lengths in order to make your wish heard. Your wish of becoming a magician. After years of pestering, I have finally given in. Yes, yes, you can wipe that grin off your face now, Anna-Liisa. Remember the saying I tend to throw around often. “If you want something done right then do it yourself.”

Naturally, I will apply this sage advice to our current situation aswell.

From this day forth, you are to remain in your room and study magic. It is paramount for you to work through this entire notebook. At the end of the journal, you will find 42 excercises composed of both theoretical and practical tests. Solving them is going to require you to apply all you have learned.

Once you have done so, you will have permission to talk to me again. No man, master of magic or not, should be allowed to poison the mind of a novice. Understand this, Anna-Liisa, that such drastic measures are for your own good. I’m sure that you will thank me later, as I thanked your grandfather once upon a time.

Until that time, however, you are to remain in your room.

I have faith in you, dear daughter, so I believe you will work through the journal faster than I did. I’m sure you’ll make me proud and work through the journal in under 20 years. I'm sure you're as excited as I am, just thinking about that glorious moment!

P.S. I suggest you solve Problem #1 as soon as possible. The answer should be a spell. Use it only at 7 in the morning, at noon and 6 in the evening. It will teleport food to your room and back, but make haste! We will remove the plates from the designated teleportation spot after 2 minutes.

A magician has to be punctual.

Your
    asshole
    loving
    father, Manivald

‘This is messed up,’ I thought, flipping the page.

Basics of life force

From your impatient nature, I can already tell you’re just waiting to get right into the meat of things! But, child, remember that you are on a journey to become more than you were. Something beyond a regular human being. Magicians learn things in order. Therefore, it is appropriate to start off with basic theories. I say theories, because the history of magic is shrouded in mystery. While I am going to include pure hard-cold facts here, keep in mind the theories, the possibilities, the meanings behind everything!

Magicians are ascended humans. While they are physically indistinguishable from any ordinary dim-witted individial, magicians have one extraordinary thing going for them. Magicians are enlightened.

The reason why I had wanted to keep you away from magic was simple. Every spell needs power in order to be cast. And where does this power come from? From yourself, from your life force, from your future!

Now, now. I know what you’re thinking, but it’s not as bad as it seems. The dim-witted peons, the caddle or sheeple, if you will; without even knowing, they are buring away their pitiful existance. Understand this, above anything else; humans are extremely inefficient creatures. The thing which seperates the sheep and their herders is a simple understanding. Magicians are fully in control of their own life force.

To put it simply, if Dr. Haumacher’s theory is right, then every living being starts off with the same amount of life force. Let’s use the number 35000 for ease of example. When he is first born, Person A’s body automatically takes 0.1 units of life force from his reserves. As a baby, such a small amount is fine for sustaining his existance. However, as he grows, the situation changes. 0.1 will no longer cut it. And how does the body react? By drawing double the amount of energy the next day.

The human body is a very simple machine. It draws energy from its reserve and divides it up even further between different body parts, in order of importance. If the energy runs out, that person is going to feel weaker that day. The next day, however, it draws double the amount and repeats its process. If that amount is fine, the body is going to keep on drawing that amount until even that is not enough. Then, it will double the amount again.

Even though that whole process by itself is extremely inefficient, I’m afraid it only goes worse from here.

Let’s say that Person A’s body normally uses 0.3 units of energy per day. That is what he needs to maintain its existance. However, his body draws 0.4 units from his reserves every day, because it only knows how to double the amount taken. One day, Person A gets sick and the needs of his body grow higher. Let’s say that he got infected by something horrible and he now needs 0.9 units per day. First day, the body draws 0.4 like usual, then realizes that it’s not enough. The next day, it draws 0.8 and realizes once again that it’s not enough so the day after that, it draws 1.6 units. After a while, he gets better and his bodily needs return to 0.3 units per day. However, his body keeps on taking 1.6 units, day after day. Not only that, but instead of sending the surplus back to the reserves, it simply wastes the excess!

I hope you’re paying close attention, Anna-Liisa, because this is going to be in one of the tests.

To their credit, there is one positive and wondrous thing about the human body. No-one knows why, but
    Wrong. Sleeping restores some of the energy used that day. Whether by spells or not.
    sleeping allows you to retain some - but not all - of your excess energy.
    That is why it is important that you go to bed at 9 pm every day until you are able to direct the energy inside of you. From that day forth, the time of day no longer makes any sort of difference to you, so you can freely spend your nights unlocking the secrets of magic!

The first step of any novice is to gain control over his energy flow. See Appendix 1:1 for specific instructions. Before anything else, you must understand the theory behind it. Remember it well my dear daughter.

Once a mage has done so, he can freely regulate the amount of energy taken per day, and if needed, take any amount left in the reserves at a moment’s notice. And this is how magic becomes possible.

Basics of magic

Seeing as you were always distracted by shiny objects, I have drawn you a diagram that I’d like you to take a look at before I explain any further.
    I, along with the rest of my peers at the Modern Society of Magicians, believe that the fantastical nature of wonderment that is magic, is categoriezed into five distinct classifications: Temporal, Spatial, Holy, Unholy and Infinity or Source. Even though no magician has ever understood what the Infinity actually is, it is widely believed that such an element exists, as there are number of theories to support such a claim. See Appendixes 16:1 to 16:21 for the most prominent examples.

Temporal magic governs anything that has to do with the passing or the perception of time while Spatial magic focuses on manipulating objects in a more direct matter. I’ve heard of tales where people have used Spatial magic in order to gain a deeper understanding of items they were holding or the rooms they were in, but to me, that just sounds like hogwash. Pay close attention to my notes on Spatial magic if you want to eat anytime soon.

By far the most popular type of magic is Holy. Amusingly enough, it is usually the least used type of magic, second to Temporal, of course. Most academics, myself included, consider Temporal magic to be
    I thought you hated puns.
    an absolute waste time.
    You see, dear child, a magician is only limited by the amount of energy he has and his imagination. In order to use any sort of magic, you have to have a clear understanding of what you’re attempting to do and how you’re going to achieve it. Temporal mages are rare, because only hoodlums with a twisted mind are capable of relating to such obscene logic. And we’re all better off for it!

Most young novices all focus on Holy magic, claiming they all want to become healers or warders against evil. The truth is that most of those hot-blooded goons are simply thugs who want to enchance their body and have the ability to do that even on Sacred Grounds. They ignore how important it is to understand Unholy and Spatial paths, not to mention the Infinity. Some insolent little brats have even dared to go against the teachings of our Grand Masters and dared to discredit the existance of Infinity. I know that you’re a good-natured little girl,
    Disowning me like Andres?
    which is why I have no reason to fear.

Once you begin studying the Unholy path, do not be afraid. Do you remember your old cat, Lagrits? When you were only four years old, she disappeared for a few days. We told you that she ran away, but the truth is that she died. I simply used magic to bring her back. Unlike the urban legends you might hear in the future, you need to understand that necromancy is not possible. Yes, I brought back your cat, but that was just me animating its body with Spatial magic while warding off its smell using Holy magic. Fortunately you were so creeped out by the cat that you wanted us to get rid of it. If you had wanted to keep her, I would have had to ask my colleague to stop the decomposition with his Temporal magic. Perish the thought!

Knowing how curses or hexes work is a necessary precaution every magician has to take. Otherwise you would most likely be useless, should any be directed at you. Modern Society of Magicians is a surprisingly cut-throat organization. You need to be able to take care of yourself, if you want to rise to the seat of a Grand Master.

And last, the Infinity.

Unfortunately, that part of the journal had been teared away. Disappointed, I turned the page once more, becoming more and more absorbed in the journal. As I did so, the apartment’s door creaked open and a bloodied Anna-Liisa fell to the ground. I dashed towards the door and looked at her in horror. Anna-Liisa was wheezing hard, but that was the least of her concerns. Her body was filled with holes, likely caused by some type of a bladed weapon. On top of that, most of her clothes, along with her skin and beautiful black hair, had been burnt to a crisp. I looked away and carried her onto the bed. It looked as if she was in some sort of a haze, on the border of consciousness and unconsiousness.

“Anna-Liisa, Anna-Liisa. What happened? No, that can wait! I need to call the ambulance and—“ I said.

“—gnar,” she said, her voice barely audible.

I went closer and asked her to repeat herself.

“Get Ragnar. He lives at—augh!” she screamed. “He lives at Poska street, 34-5.”

“House 34, apartment 5. Got it. He can help you?” I asked.

“Yes, yes. But before that, look at my sword belt,” she said. “Do you see a sheath with a checkered pattern and a white sheath with a blue circle on it?”

I looked at her sword belt. From the seven she usually carried, one sword was missing. I looked back at her and said, “I see the checkered one, but not the other one.”

She screamed again, although it seemed as if that one was due to anger, rather than pain. “Fucking piece of shit! Of all the god damned swords, he just had to get his hands on that one!” she yelled. She tried to take a deep breath, but it came out as a weak wheeze. In a quieter voice, she continued, “Take the checkered sword and piece my heart. No. No! Stop looking at me like that and do it now or I will slap you so hard that you—“

Her speech was interrupted by a sword piercing her skin and making its way to her heart, then through it, nailing her onto the bed. Her expression softened. She closed her eyes and with an even quieter voice, she said, “You did well. Get Ragnar. I have a little time.”

I checked her pulse and sighed in relief. Then I stood up and ran outside.

I ran all the way to the nearest bus-stop, knowing that I could get very close to the place I needed with bus nr. 5. Running there was out of the question, as it was way too far and I had almost collapsed just by running down the stairs. Sure, it was the ninth floor, but I still felt subpar. I had wanted to take the elevator, but it was out of order. No notice or sign anywhere, it simply refused to work.

I sat down on the bench, trying to catch my breath while waiting for the bus.

Every time a bus drove by, I looked up to see if it was nr. 5 or not, although it never was; except for that time. I noticed bus nr. 5 stop at the opposite side of the road. I was about to turn my head back down, but a strange feeling in my gut stopped me from doing so. I looked closer at the bus, and suddenly my eyes widened. Among the passengers were Hannes who an empty - almost ghastly - look in his face and Erik, with his hand around Hannes’ shoulder, smiling broadly. I glanced left and saw my bus waiting behind the red light.

‘Why is Hannes with Erik?’

As the traffic light turned yellow, I knew what I had to do.

end

And what exactly is the thing Arvi knows he must do?

JP Friend Code
    Wow I wasn't expecting an entire tutorial on magic.

JP Friend Code
    Thanks for all the work
    i think the best plan is to disguise ourself as a woman and go to save anna, listen for plot details on the way and try not to get caught

*blinks* wow. Not in position to do full-depth analysis now, but loved the comedy in the 1st part and the annotations. *sigh* guess we should go save our waifu...