26 28.26%
  • I neither like nor dislike Shinji

19 20.65%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like Shinji? Episode II

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    That and, saying Sakura should be independent isn't really a bad thing, but it coming from him (or Zouken) is a tad...wrong. Besides, she was already doing just that.
    Yeah but he was adamantly opposed to it in FSN so I think the point is just that he's no longer oppressing her.

Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    Kariya moved out under much harsher circumstances
    He did?
    Last edited by Kotonoha; April 5th, 2016 at 11:08 AM.

Banned
    I liked it when Shinji became Marik Ishtar

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He did
    Kariya just told the guy he was leaving and left without that cushion of funds. It invokes a stronger statement of defiance even if logically and financially, it was stupid not to set up some cash for it. He took being disinherited and walked out, not knowing how the guy would react to it.

Whereas in this situation Shinji might be more prepared, but Zouken ain't gonna be in a boiling rage about it. And saying that Sakura shouldn't spend the money before the old man croaks, I know it's going for tsundere here, but what does she even do with her cash but split the food bills with Shirou? Not like she is gonna have huge parties with friends popping vintage champagne.

Blog Entries
    I guess what I'd say then is that it wasn't really intended to be a comparison to Kariya's backstory because Zero didn't exist yet and it was probably intended more as foreshadowing to the fact that the disinherited uncle existed at all.

Also we don't know if Kariya ever cared about Zouken's approval in the first place, while Shinji definitely did.
    Last edited by Kotonoha; April 5th, 2016 at 11:29 AM.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is a fair point on both counts. It is true he holds that mummy in high regard.

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    Dislikes: Unconditionally happy atmosphere
    Shinji confirmed for liking happiness that one has to truly sacrifice for and thus enhance the sweetness of the joy by the contrast of the bitterness of the sacrifice.

He probably hates HF Normal End.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    (turning the dojo cleaning thing into a conflict about Sakura that never comes up again)
    I liked that scene because it makes Shirou less of a robot. Instead of " 'Hey, Emiya, just do this thing for me!' 'Ok' ", it was " 'Hey, Emiya, as an apology for those wild accusations, do this thing for me!' 'Yeah, alright' ".
    But yeah, it's one of the issues of separating character arcs neatly into separate routes. Either Shirou or Rin should have been way more concerned about Shinji involving Sakura in the War in some way, maybe even as a hostage, but they can't do that because that plotline is only supposed to be resolved in "Heaven's Feel".

I'm sure there's some important lit crit rule stating that we should disregard side materials, but side materials are the most fun thing about Type-Moon so fuck that shit.
    It's perfectly valid to criticise an author for failing to portray a character in the way they intended, though. I mean, Shinji might be a much more complex character if we add information from side materials, but that's not what the audience got in the original novel, so...*
    That said, I'm interested to see if "Realta Nua" changed anything in Shinji's portrayal, considering it removed all references to sexual abuse (if I'm not mistaken, that is).

* I'd have used Kuzuki as an example, but the truth is that he's still a boring character even after "Hollow Ataraxia".
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; April 5th, 2016 at 05:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    I liked that scene because it makes Shirou less of a robot. Instead of " 'Hey, Emiya, just do this thing for me!' 'Ok' ", it was " 'Hey, Emiya, as an apology for those wild accusations, do this thing for me!' 'Yeah, alright' ".
    If you're making Shirou LESS of a robot you're failing to grasp Shirou's character, which mostly boils down to "he is a robot".

Like, you don't have to blackmail Shirou into doing chores, you just have to go "hey there are chores do them" and he'll jump on that shit because that's what Shirou does.

It's perfectly valid to criticise an author for failing to portray a character in the way they intended, though. I mean, Shinji might be a much more complex character if we add information from side materials, but that's not what the audience got in the original novel, so...*
    I complain about this all the time anyway so you don't have to tell me this.
    Last edited by Kotonoha; April 5th, 2016 at 05:24 PM.

If you're making Shirou LESS of a robot you're failing to grasp Shirou's character, which mostly boils down to "he is a robot".
    While I agree with the general statement, I disagree that he's so much of a robot he would mindlessly perform a chore for the one person who made him angry enough to actually punch them, even if he's still wistful about their old friendship.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    While I agree with the general statement, I disagree that he's so much of a robot he would mindlessly perform a chore for the one person who made him angry enough to actually punch them, even if he's still wistful about their old friendship.
    In Shirou's opinion they were still friends though.

Like he thought that punching Shinji that one time had ended the fight they were having, and Sakura had to actually tell him "uh actually he thinks you're still fighting about that"

My first impression was that Shinji actually takes the friendship a lot more seriously than Shirou.

Blog Entries
    "I-it's not like you're my only friend or anything, baka"

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Shinji is not a good person - in fact he is awful - but there reasons for it that make sense so he is more than just a shallow foil. That is good.

And like in this thread there are interesting observations to make when you examine his relationships.

So I think I like Shinji.

In Shirou's opinion they were still friends though.

Like he thought that punching Shinji that one time had ended the fight they were having, and Sakura had to actually tell him "uh actually he thinks you're still fighting about that"
    Ah, I see. I don't remember that, to be honest, only Shirou getting furious and having to be held back by Sakura when he sees her trying to cover up the seals and thinks she's covering new marks of abuse from Shinji.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
    Shinji us pretty great character imho, sure SN didn't do justice to him, but his worst offence under is abusing Sakura, which is not that big deal in my book.
    Careful, you might cut yourself on that edge.
    JP Support

Spoiler:

US Support
    Spoiler:

Unpromised Victory, isn't it sad? CG-3m1y4's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    If "liking Shinji" means "gladly hurl thousands of abuse at him until he died, revived, and recycle the abuse", then the answer is yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by My F/GO Collab Dream Never

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CG-3m1y4 View Post
    If "liking Shinji" means "gladly hurl thousands of abuse at him until he died, revived, and recycle the abuse", then the answer is yes.
    Hardcore.

Blog Entries
    Off topic: This has been annoying me for a while, but how come often when I click on "View First Unread" I'm being taken waaaaay past the last post I previously read (which is also usually the last post that had been posted at the time of me reading it)? Like just now, it took me like 80 posts too far ahead. There have been other times, especially in topics where there were a lot of posts in a short time, where it was even worse, and it took me several hundreds of posts ahead of the post that was actually my first unread post. That feature/function doesn't work at all like this. Mods, please fix.

"The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."

Blog Entries
    Depends on which version of Shinji.

F/SN Shinji is an absolute slime ball at his best while most other versions of him are surprisingly likable.
    Certified F/GO hater.

My Servants

The starting penalty is five.

Quote Originally Posted by The Geek View Post
    Careful, you might cut yourself on that edge.
    I will take chance, thank you for advice anyway.