Thread: Fanfic Contests/Exchanges You Can Enter TM Works In Off BL

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    the tortured magi department Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Update regarding Not Primetime 2016:

• Sign-ups are now open through April 30th. The sign-up form on AO3 is here.
    • You must request a minimum of 3 fandoms and may request up to 6 fandoms.
    • Within those fandoms, you may request up to 4 characters each with AND matching.
    • You may also choose Any for character requests; this means you want to receive fic for any nominated character. See post for more details.
    • Each fandom request must be unique (you cannot request the same fandom twice with different sets of characters).
    • You must offer a minimum of 3 fandoms and may offer up to 10 fandoms.
    • You may offer up to 10 characters for each fandom or you may offer Any (nominated character).
    • Please read this post carefully if you have any questions, confusion, or concerns. There are a number of useful links at the bottom.

You do not need to have participated in nominations to sign up. The only Type Moon fandom available for this particular exchange is Fate/Stay Night & Related Fandoms with this particular nominated and approved tag set:

Arturia Pendragon | Saber, Emiya Kiritsugu, Emiya Shirou, Enkidu (Fate), Gilgamesh (Fate), Guinevere (Fate), Heroic Spirit EMIYA | Archer, Illyasviel von Einzbern, Irisviel von Einzbern, Kotomine Kirei, Matou Sakura, Medea | Caster, Medusa | Rider, Saber (Fate/Prototype), Sajyou Ayaka, Tohsaka Rin
    You can see the full tag set to consider your other two (or more) fandom options here.

When five or more people have signed up, you may view the Sign-Up Summary, which will show the number of requests and the number of offers. Learning to read this will help you gauge interest in any fandom you might wish to write or receive, especially if you are concerned about making sure you don't have to edit your sign-up for being too difficult for the algorithm to match. Remember that if you both offer and request the same fandom that it is going to show 1 | 1 and that it only represents you. This is another reason people post Dear Author Letters. It is a nice thing to offer fandoms near the top of the list if you're genuinely interested in writing them, and it is a good idea to request at least one fandom that is closer to the bottom of the list, even if you don't go all the way down to most-popular.

If you choose to participate, you will need an AO3 account. If you already have one, carry on, but if you are interested in participating but need an account, you will need an invite code. I have a few to give out, and I will request more if necessary. If you get an account, I believe it already comes with five or ten that you can then pass to others. Please let me know through PM or on this post for me to PM you if you'd like an AO3 invite code.

The other fun part of this is a Dear Author Letter. I wrote in the OP a bit about what a Dear Author Letter is and linked to a past example of mine. This can take other formats, too, but is your way to communicate with the person who is matched to you as a writer. It is to give your author an idea of your likes and dislikes about the fandom and characters you requested and their presentation in fanfiction. It is a good idea to be specific but not binding, as these details are optional but helpful and primarily what make this process fun as a writer. The AO3 sign-up form now has prompt boxes that you can use in lieu of a Dear Author Letter or in addition to it. (Many people copy/paste their fandom-specific requests to each appropriate sign-up box, but I opt to just use the Dear Author Letter URL blank.) Your Dear Author Letter must be a publicly accessible link.

Most people use LiveJournal or Dreamwidth for Dear Author Letters, whether they use their journals for anything else or not. You could also use any public blogging site you like. You may also use something like private posts on tumblr or another service where you can have something that is publicly accessible by link-only.

If you are a BLer who is signing up, I strongly encourage you to link us to your Dear Author Letter on this thread! If I get enough response I'll make a little list, but either way it will make it easy for us to see who is participating. You also have the option, whether you end up assigned to a fellow BLer or not, to write Treats for that person (explained on the OP) which are fics that are written just to please someone that have fewer rules. For example, most of the time they do not have to be 1000 words minimum, so you could write something very short, or there is also a very-optional option to do fanart.

Whether you are a BLer or not, if you choose to do this, just don't troll people, even if they're your friends. Maintainers/mods and other users are likely to see your trolling and misunderstand. People who do this want a reasonably pleasant experience for all, so if you absolutely have to write a troll fic for your BL friend, post it here or something.

A little note of etiquette: It is entirely alright to talk about what you requested and even generally about what you offered anywhere you like, but remaining anonymous to your recipient until after reveals is part of the fun. If you get matched to a BLer, it takes a little bit of the fun out of it to tell them you were assigned to them.

In addition to sharing it here with other BLers, you can choose to share your Dear Author Letter with all participants by posting a link to it in the indicated format on the Dreamwidth post or the LiveJournal post.

Since this might be your first time participating in a fic exchange, here is a general fic exchange FAQ written by the mod of this exchange who has been doing this and other exchange maintenance for years. It's probably more concise and better than my OP in some ways, but whichever one is most useful to you. I tried to explain things well, too.

If you have any further questions or concerns I can help you with, feel free to ask on this post, too.
    Last edited by Prix with a Silent X; April 19th, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.