Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fanfic Contests/Exchanges You Can Enter TM Works In Off BL

love me until I love myself Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fanfic Contests/Exchanges You Can Enter TM Works In Off BL

This is a general purpose thread anyone can post topical information in. If anyone has a suggestion for a less clunky name, please recommend if you're so inclined. I will be happy to update the OP with any contests that run annually/seasonally that are relevant.

Definitions of Terms / F.A.Q.

The first section of this is my attempt to explain the mechanics of a fic exchange. It's long, maybe boring, and (because I wrote it) possibly wordier than it needs to be. I tried to be terse, but technical writing is not my forte. If you think you can self-explain forms and matching and what a fic exchange is, the tl;dr is: fic exchanges are themed Secret Santa exchanges that can happen at any time of the year and read your sign-up forms and the exchange rules carefully.

You can CTRL + F (or whatever mac users do) to "FUN STUFF" if you just want clarification about the ways you can make sure you have a fun time and how this can and will relate to Type Moon stuff even though these are multifandom events (so you'll typically need to be interested in, like, two eligible things other than Type Moon properties in addition).

Spoiler:

What is a fic exchange?

A fic exchange is a typically multifandom event that usually takes place on AO3 at a particular time of year. Most are themed. You can think of a fic exchange as very similar to a Secret Santa gift exchange, only they can happen at any time of year with any theme the moderators want.

Why do they happen on AO3?

Fic exchanges typically run on AO3 because AO3 has specific forms and tools to make them run smoothly and to do some of the legwork for the moderators with automated matching processes. They used to happen manually sometimes, but AO3 makes it much easier on the people running them.

What if I don't have an AO3 account?

You will need one for any exchange that takes place on AO3. Because AO3 likes to pretend it is in beta for all eternity, these are usually by invite only except in very rare windows. You can request a sign-up token, but typically it is easier to get invited by an existing user like catching a cold. I have some invite codes, and if any of the rest of you have or get AO3 accounts, you will have and be able to get more invite codes, too. We can take over... or not. But it's not sketchy or anything, it's just some kind of weird fixation AO3 has. If you need an invite code, PM me and ask me or ask here and I'll PM you for an email address, which is all I'll need. Other people can tell me if they're interested in sharing invite codes.

How does a fic exchange work?

Like I said, think of Secret Santa, only it is not entirely random. When you sign up, you will choose from a Tag Set that is specific to the exchange within the rules that the particular exchange has. Each exchange is very likely to have slightly different numbers and rules for its sign-up, but they will have posts (usually on LiveJournal, DreamWidth, or both) for you to refer to about how many fandoms and characters/pairings you are required to request/offer and how many you may request/offer in addition to that.

You will typically need to offer one more fandom than the minimum number of requests (e.g., you must request 3 fandoms and offer 4 fandoms). This is to try to ensure that the pool of offers is large enough to cover a participant base with a variety of tastes. You can sometimes abuse this and offer the minimum and request the maximum; it's up to you, just bear in mind that you must write a gift in order to receive a gift for the exchange to work.

You will request a specific number of fandoms. You will refer to the approved Tag Set to see from that fandom which characters or pairings / character sets you may request. It cannot be a free-for-all because there has to be information with which to definitely match you with other people who signed up so someone can write something for you that they feel like writing.

You will offer a specific number of fandoms. You will also decide, from the approved Tag Set, which characters or pairings / character sets you would like to write about. Only offer those things which you are interested in writing about because if you match on the thing you are least enthused about, you still have to write it.

All this sign up will be done with a form, which I will post a picture of as an edit, but it is not very complicated as long as you read it carefully. You may edit your sign-up until sign-ups are closed. After sign-ups are closed, your sign-up is finalized, and it will be sent to the matching algorithm. A few days later, you will receive an Assignment. This is what you will be writing. Sometimes you will match on more than one thing you offered, which is fun, but you are only guaranteed to match on one of your offers. Usually, your recipient will have provided you with prompts in a prompt box that is part of the form or will, more traditionally, have provided you with a Dear Author Letter link in the blank that is reserved for that. Sometimes, they just give you the fandoms and characters/pairings/character sets they want with no clarification. That sucks when it happens, but that means you can write whatever you want about the applicable thing as long as you abide by the exchange's general rules.

You will not know what you are receiving as your gift until time for reveals, which is half the fun.

Here is an example Sign-Up Information post from Yuletide 2015.

How do these "Tag Sets" get made, and what are they?

Tag Sets are generated by interested participants nominating fandoms and (within those fandoms) characters or pairings / sets of characters (depending on the exchange) during a nomination period which will happen and close prior to sign-ups. If you are going to participate in an exchange, it is a good idea to participate in the nomination process, too, so that your favorite character/pairing in the eligible fandom will be available.

It is at the mod's discretion to accept or reject fandoms or to recategorize them as necessary to make matching and organization run most smoothly for their exchange. (Example, if Fate and its spin-offs are eligible, sometimes they will all be under the Fate/Stay Night & Related Fandoms category, but sometimes Fate/Zero might be nominated independently, as well as Fate/Stay Night & Related Fandoms being used only for those characters who actually appear in FSN.)

It is worth knowing that not every fandom or every character/pairing will be eligible for every exchange that happens throughout the year. These things usually have a theme in mind, and you need to know if you're interested in the theme before you start. Often, the criteria of eligibility are based on rarity, but there can be totally different factors at play, too.

Participating in the nomination process does not sign you up nor obligate you to participate.

Here is an example Tag Set from Yuletide 2015.

The Tag Set must be finalized and firm for any exchange to work. It means that the things you can choose to request and the things that you can choose to offer as a participant are drawn from the same pool, meaning that someone's offer will match your request in some way and vice versa. That is why participating in nominations is a good idea, because sometimes your favorite-whatever might have been eligible but didn't get nominated and you just have to hope for better luck next exchange/year.

How much do I have to write?

Some fic exchanges vary, but typical fic exchanges have a minimum word count of 1000 words (according to AO3's word counter, but your word processor is usually close) and no maximum.

More rarely, you will have a minimum word count of something like 300 words and be expected to write more than one tiny fic which may or may not have a maximum word count.

What if I can't finish in time or decide I really don't want to do this?

There is typically a "default deadline." This is the date by which you can drop out of participation with no future penalty should you decide to do it next year. You can still drop out after that date, but you may face repercussions such as not being able to sign up the following year because it is very inconvenient for the mods and your recipient you bailed on to have to scramble to make sure your recipient gets something. No exchange will open without everyone having a gift, and that is a scheduling nightmare when a bunch of people drop. However, everyone understands that fic is a hobby and your life and interests may change. That's why the default deadline is there to protect you, in case something comes up but you do want to be courteous and maybe try again next year.

If you fail to drop out before the default deadline but drop out afterward or you fail to turn in your completed assignment by the deadline, you will usually be barred from entering that same exchange the following year. The rules about being permanently barred are different from exchange to exchange, but usually there is some distinction made between "I was swamped and forgot, I'm so sorry," where you just have to sit out one cycle and "I only care about receiving gifts and make no effort to fulfill my obligation," which can lead to more serious bans or the like.

What if I get defaulted on?

It is a mod's responsibility to make sure that there is a failsafe for this, and I have never been in a fic exchange where the mod didn't do their job in this regard. Requests that got dropped on become pinchhits, and the mod will seek out authors who want to take on the request voluntarily. Sometimes if it happens late in the game, this means you get a bit of a rush-job, but that's the worst that can happen. Often, this turns out really well because your pinchhitter really wanted your assignment when they read it.

Pinchhitting, or What do I do if I want to participate but am scared of all this sign-up stuff, or What if I write a lot and think prompts are like candy in a kids' store?

Pinchhitters are a breed of people who are invaluable and love to write. Pinchhitting, while it may sound like a chore if you are not up to it, is often very competitive in fic exchanges. What will happen if someone gets defaulted on is that the mod of the exchange will have some type of public list of available pinchhits. It is typicall first come, first serve in terms of "claiming" that pinchhit. The first person who asks in the designated way will have that Assignment added to their Assignments on AO3 official.

However, if you really wanted to write that and aren't the first to ask, do not despair. You can still write that person an extra fic! It's what is called treat.

But pinchhitting is also a really good happy-medium between signing up and feeling out participation. Again, bearing in mind that it is competitive and time-based and the first person who asks will typically get the pinchhit in question, you can usually be a pinchhitter even if you didn't sign up. The caveat is that you will not be guaranteed to receive anything for your trouble, but most established fic exchanges will have a post where you can post a shorter request list that people can optionally choose to throw soemthing your way as a means of thanks. This is great for you people who prefer to write fic over reading it, too.

Can you do anything other than fic?

Occasionally, some fic exchanges will let you do fanart that matches prompts instead of fic. However, art exchange is usually secondary to fic exchange, so it's not a good idea to sign up if you are only an artist and will not even consider writing fic unless you know there's a large pool of art requesters. On the sign-up sheet, people will have the option of checking "Fanfic," "Fanart," or both in those cases, and not everyone will check "Fanart," while almost everyone will check "Fanfic." But if you're an artist as well as a writer, it is a good thing to consider when you are making offers.

Requests and Offers:

(I will try to provide pictures of what this looks like later.)

A request is what you, the recipient, would like to receive. Bear in mind that you may not get your first pick, so choose wisely. You will be more likely to make your author happy and want to please you and to receive something you would like to read if you provide optional details which come in the form of "prompts" or "Dear Author Letters." In these details, you will provide specific things you do like and things you do not like. For example, you can mention tropes or kinks or whatever you do or do not like to see. If you have some squick or phobia, you'll want to mention that so someone can be mindful of that. It is also an opportunity to tell your author what you enjoy the most about a particular fandom, character, or character dynamic and what themes you might enjoy seeing explored. It is a good idea to be a little general and to give your author some options. You should not request a point for point fic that is the only one you want to read, but otherwise being fairly specific about what you like is a good thing. The only thing you should definitely not do is request characters, pairings, or other things that were not on the Tag Set as a primary focus.

An offer is the same thing in reverse. It is what you are saying you are willing to write, drawn from the Tag Set. For this, you do not provide qualifiers or optional details along the lines of "I will write this if..." It is a blanket offer, and you need to be prepared for requests to be very typical or to be slightly controversial. Offer things you are okay with writing. Remember that optional details are optional and that if your prompt/letter is not something you can write, your recipient will generally be happy to receive the best story you can tell. Just do your best to give them something they asked for if they asked for anything and all will be well. People pretty much always return that same level of courtesy.

Recipient and Author:

In a fic exchange, you are both and will have both. These are not necessarily going to be the same people, and it is very rare for two people to be matched to each other mutually unless you had identical sign-ups.

Your recipient is the person on your Assignment. Your recipient is the person you are writing a fic for.

Your author is the person who is writing a fic for you, who has your username and prompts on their Assignment. You will not know who this person is until (usually) about a week after you have received their story. Sometimes, you will know right after reveals and there is never an anonymous period, but usually there is one.

You reverse these terms for how your recipient will perceive you.

Assignment:

You will receive your assignment after a match has been determined. You will have offered your (typically) 4 fandoms, but you will only be guaranteed to match on one of them. In cases of similar interests, you will somewhat frequently get the benefit of matching on two, but regardless of what you get assigned to do, it is your responsibility for fulfilling that assignment, regardless of if you might have somewhat preferred to write for one of your other offers. Again, only offer things you're pretty enthusiastic about writing and sort of psych yourself up for the thing you're least-enthused about.

In almost all cases, you will at least have specified characters, but in some cases you will have specified pairings or character sets. The themes of a lot of fic exchanges encourage shipfic, but there are plenty that are equally amiable to genfic or platonic relationships. Which leads to a little clarification about matching:

Matching:

I have never run a fic exchange, so I'm running a little blind on what this actually looks like, but a fic exchange's matching can vary a little from exchange to exchange. It is sort of important to know whether your fic exchange is running on AND matching or OR matching for both your requests and offers. The mods will usually freely explain this somewhere.

The reason it is important is best explained with an example. I'll use Fate characters: Emiya Shirou, Tohsaka Rin, Saber | Arturia Pendragon, and Kotomine Kirei.

People often ship or platonically pair those first three characters. People's relationship to Kirei, on the other hand, might vary a little more from person to person both in terms of whom they want him opposite in a fic (ship, friendship, enmity, whatever).

If your fic exchange is using AND matching, it is important to make a decision about which relationships and characters are most important to you to see in a pairing/group, and it is important to bear in mind what you may have someone offer to do with this in mind.

Let's say you want Shirou/Saber, Shirou/Rin, Rin/Saber, or Shirou/Rin/Saber interaction/pairings all equally but wouldn't mind if one or more of them was left out of the story. For AND matching, you can specify this in your optional details, but your author must have offered all three of those characters in order to match with you if you request all three. In cases where AND matching is involved, if you are more focused on two of them, it might be best to only request those two and mention that optionally they may include the third character in some capacity.

Then, if you are (for example) interested in fic about Kirei on his own doing things Kirei likes to do to mess with people, adding his name to your request list on AND matching could complicate matters more. It is a matter of assumed intent. A person offering on an AND matching exchange might struggle a little with deciding to but Kirei on their list if they are also interested in offering Shirou, Saber, and Rin, because it is possible that a person might request, say, only Kirei and Saber and be one person in a thousand who ships them, and unless that person shares that proclivity, they might not want to write that but end up heavily impressed upon to write it anyway.

In cases where OR matching is involved, it is much simpler because you can request Shirou, Rin, Saber, and Kirei, and then just specify whether or not you want shipfic or genfic for each of those characters in your optional details. Bearing in mind that those details are optional, you can go wild with what you request within the rules.

This is a little complicated and you learn from experience, but if you need further clarification I'll try to find someone explaining it better than me.

Rarity:

This is a very common limiter criteria for fic exchanges. It is not the only one, but it is the main one you will have a headache about when trying to decide if you can nominate Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Zero, Tsukihime, KnK, GO characters, or whatever else kids are into these days.

Two of the big nominate-anything that is eligible exchanges are Yuletide and Not_Primetime.

Yuletide is for small or rare fandoms. I'll let them clarify for you with: 2015 Eligibility Rules. And the Nominations Open for 2015 Announcement post that has some specific information about what to do if you're not sure or believe that even though the numbers are technically too high that it should be eligible based on the principle of their exchange. For example, Fate was eligible last year, but if it continues to grow it probably won't be this year.

Not_Primetime is an exchange that exists for fandoms that have grown out of Yuletide but that still don't have megafandom status. Their criteria is listed as such:

Nominate fandoms that are between 200 fics on AO3/1000 fics on FFN to 20k, with fics over 1000 words and in English as filters. Cannot be on the megafandoms list.
    Different exchanges will have different nomination criteria. Some will have nothing to do with rarity at all. Some are for specific demographics: female characters, lgbt ships, gen fic-only, or whatever. Some are to celebrate specific holidays, such as Halloween or even Purim. You will have to see if each applies to stuff you like, but rarity is the one you've got to do math for, so I tried to clarify.

FUN STUFF

Optional Details / Prompts / Dear Author Letters:

The little history lesson in why some people just fill out the prompt box and some people do Dear Author Letters on sites like LiveJournal, Dreamwidth, or even tumblr is that AO3's prompt box used to have such a minimal character limit that you couldn't say much unless you are really good at concise communication of enthusiasm, which people like me are not. AO3 eventually extended the character limit where this isn't really much of an issue, but some people still do both or prefer the Dear Author Letters. Their function is exactly the same, though.

"Optional Details Are Optional" is the mantra you will hear repeated in every one of these exchanges. This means that if someone says "I like stories where Shirou is the most powerful character in the piece; I think it shows his humanity!" and you care about power levels or just on some visceral level disagree with that statement, you can still write them a good Shirou story without including that. However, if you are a person requesting fic and say "I prefer stories where human characters, like Shirou, are not OP for no reason," and you have a like-minded author, hopefully everything will be reinforced and go smoothly and you will both have a nice time. However, it is rude to totally ignore that someone wrote prompts or a letter for you, and it is part of the fun to respond to something to make someone happy with their gift and to have the same courtesy paid to you.

Sometimes, people don't do prompts or letters. Fic exchange people don't like when this happens, but it is technically allowed.

You can format your prompts/letters however you like, but their content is usually done with a little information on the following: specific narrative likes and dislikes, the highest rating you are comfortable with receiving (and whether or not sex or violence interest or disinterest you), kinks you like or dislike if you told your author they could write sex for you, and some information on what you most enjoy about the fandoms and characters/pairings you requested.

It is a good idea to put a little thought into this. In larger exchanges or fic exchanges where the minimum word count is lower than typical, it is very common for people to post their Dear Author Letters to a post on the related LJ/Dreamwidth community and volunteers will make a spreadsheet where very eager writers will look after they have completed their primary assignment to write extra treats. Then, sometimes, you get lucky and get two or more gift fics that were written just for you.

It's sort of embarrassing to share with you my specific interests and letter, unprompted, since I'm a fluff-ball in my interests compared to many people here, I think. However, for those of you who learn better through seeing an example, here is my Yuletide 2015 Dear Author Letter. That blog is mostly an archive of Dear Author Letters, too, so you can click the appropriate tag at the bottom and find blackmail material and/or see how even I learned to pare down or be more specific about what I wanted over time. You can be much more concise than me and still get the job done, though.

One advantage to writing a Dear Author Letter and posting a link to a community post for such things is that treat writers who want to write more than one fic will have easier access to your prompts. It is up to the mod only when and if the prompts that were entered only on AO3 will be viewable to the users.

You can do these on any blog or webpage that has public viewing access. Most people use Dreamwith or LiveJournal, even if that's the only thing they use them for, but some use tumblr posts (even that are 'private' in that they are only accessible by link). It does not matter if they are only accessible by a link, but you could not use BL's blog posts beacuse only members can see them.

Treats:

Treats are extra fics that you write in addition to the fic you were assigned to write. You can look through other participant's Dear Author Letters (or usually pretty late in the game their actual prompts on AO3 if they did that instead) if they shared them on a community post, and if there's a particular prompt that you really like that wasn't your main assignment, you can do that. On AO3, there will be an option to "gift this work to" on your posting form, and when you are officially assigned to a person, there will be a checkbox there to gift it to them. The difference with treats is that you will have to type in their AO3 username and gift it manually, but in every other respect it works the same.

If you receive a treat, that means you get two fics. You're not guaranteed to, but if you write good prompts/letters in larger exchanges it's not uncommon to receive this act of goodwill.

It is really, really poor form to write treats but to default on your main assignment. Don't do that.

Commenting and Feedback:

One of the best things about fic exchanges is that you are pretty much guaranteed to get at least one heartfelt, substantive comment from your recipient. It's considered very poor form not to give this back to your author in at least a heartfelt "thank you," and because you wrote something just for them they're usually very excited. Then, sometimes, others comment, too, because there's an actual convergence of multiple people looking at one fic collection at a given time. Occasionally, you're unlucky and your recipient is rude and doesn't reply, but that almost never happens, and when it does there is a culture where usually someone will throw you a bone.

If you participate, be prepared to give at least one good "thank you," comment, even if you have read better before (which happens some years; everyone is where they are as a writer). Giving and receiving feedback is so much more fun than shouting into a void.

How can I relate all this to Type Moon?

Different Type Moon properties will be eligible for different exchanges. Your favorite might not be eligible for the current exchange, and that is just based on what the state of the exchange and fandom are like. See the above entry on "rarity," for how and why this works as best as I can relate it. However, given the rules of any exchange, this is why I made this long post.

People on BL often talk about how the Fanfic Forum has seen its better days, that frequency of posting has dipped down a lot, and that quality or variety have dipped down. I care about fanworks in general, and it is one of the main reasons I enjoy participating in any fandom. Publicizing this type of fic writing is sharing something with this community that I have participated in for years that has been the main way I have produced fic for the past several. It is really rewarding to do something to make another specific recipient happy and to have the same done for you.

This post is to raise awareness for any current exchange where there might be an opportunity to sign up with a Type Moon property as one or more of your requested fandoms. You will not always get assigned to that fandom, certainly, but it is a way to indicate your interest in there being more fanwork in general for any given fandom over time.

Currently, Fate is on the borderline cusp of what is considered "rare fandom" and "medium-sized fandom" in terms of how rarity-based contests are usually counted. However, every other Type Moon property (to my knowledge) is still very firmly in the "rare" category. Yuletide is by far the most famous, the biggest, and the most-anticipated fanfic exchange in the culture of doing these things. It is for rare fandoms. As I am making this post, it is not the right time of year for Yuletide nominations, but I am going to go ahead and put out there that even if you're not interested in anything else, if you are interested in there being fanfic for Type Moon properties that are not Fate, Yuletide might be the perfect opportunity for you to try to facilitate that in a really fun way.

I'm not sure whether or not Fate will be deemed eligible for Yuletide next year, but if it is, its days are numbered as a "rare" fandom for English fics on the main fanfiction archive sites, ff.net and AO3. This is all the more reason that I think this might be your/our(?) chance to see if several of us can nominate KnK or Tsukihime or the like into the Yuletide pool in 2016. If several of us sign up with those fandoms, it's likely that we might end up getting assigned to each other, but it is a blind and anonymous exchange which could be really fun for people involved, even if we got assigned to each other. Don't troll each other, though. You'll get in trouble.

Regardless of which TM fandom you're most-invested in and would like to see more fic for, Fate or not-Fate (ha...?), there are a lot of exchanges throughout the year that focus on a lot of different little niche themes, and if you know of an exchange (or a contest) that runs similarly or differently to what I've described which can be relevant to Type Moon, please feel free to post about it here.

- - - - -

Current Open Exchanges / Contests

Trick or Treat - Admin DW | Schedule and FAQ | Tag Set | Nomination Instructions |

This is a small exchange for fanfiction or fanart. It is based around the Halloween concept of "tricks" and "treats." This is different from the usual concept of a "treat" in the usual sense of an exchange where it represents only a fic or piece of art that is done in addition to one's assigned one. In this case, a treat should be a happier or sexier fic/piece of art and a trick should be a darker or more scary/melancholy one. The minimum word count for fics is only 300 words with no upward limit. For art, the requirements are a bit more vague but are a "nice, clean sketch NOT on lined paper." Nominations close 8 September 2019.
    Last edited by Prix with a Silent X; September 4th, 2019 at 09:47 PM.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

Blog Entries
    I have never tried one of these before, but it seemed interesting enough, and even I can probably put out a 1k story.

One of my nominated fandoms is literally as borderline as it gets, at 201 AO3 (>1k, English) 'fics. Happily a sister fandom already has plenty of nominations, so I suspect there are more people ready to write for it.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    A fandom that is that small might end up being eligible for Yuletide this winter, even after being on the NPT list. Sometimes there is overlap for a few years, it just depends on how tightly they watch it from year to year.

I'm really glad that you found some stuff to nominate, and I hope more people will participate.

Now to get my nominations in before they actually close...

I will update the OP with sign-up deadline after nominations are over.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    I like the underlying concept behind this thread, so I hope you won't mind if I stick it, Prix?
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Oh sure go ahead! I'm glad I could do something that might help.

Also if anyone wanted to nominate anything for that fic exchange you have about 20-25 minutes from now.

Even if you do not nominate you can still sign up, you just will have no influence over your Tag Set options. But sometimes the Tag Set is already what you want so it doesn't matter.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    If the mod is running on schedule, nominations for Not_Primetime 2016 are closed.

This means that you can no longer affect the available characters, but you can sign up when sign-ups open. I will post more information about that as soon as I have a link to give you.

The Fate available tags appear to be as follows just after the nomination window has closed. A few more may be added to it if the mod is still reviewing nominations on their end:

• Arturia Pendragon | Saber
    • Emiya Kiritsugu
    • Emiya Shirou
    • Enkidu (Fate)
    • Gilgamesh (Fate)
    • Guinevere (Fate)
    • Heroic Spirit EMIYA | Archer
    • Illyasviel von Einzbern
    • Irisviel von Einzbern
    • Kotomine Kirei
    • Matou Sakura
    • Medea | Caster
    • Medusa | Rider
    • Saber (Fate/Prototype)
    • Sajyou Ayaka
    • Tohsaka Rin

I will update again about whether this is AND or OR matching, as I can't remember for this exchange.

This means that any fic you request/offer on your sign-up will have to primarily involve at least one of these characters if you get assigned to Fate.

Here is the Tag Set.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    AND matching as default.

The matching is AND. For more specific detail, in the FAQ:

"How does matching work?

Matching is done through the AO3 matching system. The setting used for NPT is 1 request, 1 fandom, all characters within that specific fandom. This is the minimum level of matching needed for an offer to match a request."

In your letter/optional details, however, you can let your writer know that requested individuals can be written about individually or in any combination.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Blog Entries
    Wow, thank you. Doing my homework for me, Seika. Sincerely thank you.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    This being my first time into something like this, I had a certain extra impetus to read through everything so that I could try to find out what on earth's going on.

Does seem likely to lead to some issues where if, say, you're fine with writing Rin, Rider, and Kotomine individually, you still might not want to put them all down. If you're only being matched with someone else who has all your offered characters, then there's the potential for them to request that you do a 'fic with all those characters together, even if you're comfortable with the characters singly rather than all together. I don't know, we'll see.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    I really hope you enjoy doing this for the first time. It's pretty fun, but now and then you get not-the-best gifts or prompts or whatever. If you do it long enough, it becomes a fun and sort of laughing challenge to deal with this, but it's best if that doesn't happen to you the first time out.

And yeah, I am actually a little confused about why you would do AND matching on both. I keep reading that and trying to parse through it in my head. In my long OP post, I explained that I believe Yuletide runs AND for requests and OR for offers so that you can basically offer every character on the list but one and as long as a person has requested any except the one you didn't offer, you could match with them.

But yeah, I actually get antsy about ever offering Illya on ones where I'm sure offering a bunch won't hurt me, because I would be interested in writing her but I don't want to get someone who wants Illya ship-fic, personally.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes View Post
    If the mod is running on schedule, nominations for Not_Primetime 2016 are closed.

This means that you can no longer affect the available characters, but you can sign up when sign-ups open. I will post more information about that as soon as I have a link to give you.

The Fate available tags appear to be as follows just after the nomination window has closed. A few more may be added to it if the mod is still reviewing nominations on their end:

• Arturia Pendragon | Saber
    • Emiya Kiritsugu
    • Emiya Shirou
    • Enkidu (Fate)
    • Gilgamesh (Fate)
    • Guinevere (Fate)
    • Heroic Spirit EMIYA | Archer
    • Illyasviel von Einzbern
    • Irisviel von Einzbern
    • Kotomine Kirei
    • Matou Sakura
    • Medea | Caster
    • Medusa | Rider
    • Saber (Fate/Prototype)
    • Sajyou Ayaka
    • Tohsaka Rin

I will update again about whether this is AND or OR matching, as I can't remember for this exchange.

This means that any fic you request/offer on your sign-up will have to primarily involve at least one of these characters if you get assigned to Fate.

Here is the Tag Set.
    I don't understand the character tag thing. Guinevere?????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I don't understand the character tag thing. Guinevere?????
    What don't you understand? Technically, Guinevere is a Fate character.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    IE, 'who the hell cares about Guinevere enough to nomiate'
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh it's nomination based? I thought it was just a list of some of the major characters but with Guinevere for some reason.

Still weird though.

Blog Entries
    Nomination-based is how all fic exchanges have to operate. That way at least one person in the exchange is interested in reading or writing that character. In some rarity themed stuff, people actively go for obscure, but in cases like this, a person is just interested in maybe a somewhat less explored character or topic. You can totally do that, and sometimes you get lucky. The worst thing that happens is if you ask for only things that are odd, niche interests you have to expand your request a little if you're unmatchable, but typically if what you wanted was TOO obscure for one fandom, you just match on another. Then, if you post your letter publicly, you might get odd niche request too.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, no care-shame.

Other Links

Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by @Keo View Post
    IE, 'who the hell cares about Guinevere enough to nomiate'
    I would.
    tbh don't really like arthurian fate fanfiction though.

- - - Updated - - -

can i just go to the site and nominate whatever character I feel like nominating? Just to add to the character pool?
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    If nominations hadn't closed earlier today.

Also slightly more complicated stuff about nominating fandoms first and whatever, but more or less that.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    I would.
    tbh don't really like arthurian fate fanfiction though.

- - - Updated - - -

can i just go to the site and nominate whatever character I feel like nominating? Just to add to the character pool?
    Like Seika said, nominations for this one closed earlier, but in general you can nominate even if you don't plan to participate. You have to have an AO3 account, but yes.

Most of my main squeeze characters were nominated already, so I actually just nominated a few I thought might deserve some play who weren't on the list for the three fandoms I nominated for.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    I would.
    Same (in fact I am). I think she's a very interesting character. More than Arturia, anyway.

As for the Fic Exchange, I've thought about doing it in the past but never understood what it all entails. Thanks for clearing that up, Prix.

Blog Entries
    Sure! I'm glad to have helped.

Other Links

Spoiler: