Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2345691454 ... LastLast

Thread: Bugs & Errors

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The board clock seems to be 3 minutes fast...

Maybe Manitoba's just three minutes slow.

*snaps*

(looks like it's true though)

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. Odd. That's something I have to have dovac adjust, though, but I'll let him know.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, it seems like the forum has a length limit for words. If you go beyond it, it adds a space arbitrarily (even if it's not needed to split it into two lines).

Blog Entries
    It does, but it's set VERY long (something like 80-90 characters).

This can be changed, but I see absolutely no reason to. What sort of word would need that many letters? The longest word I can think of off the top of my head is "antidisestablishmentarianism" and that's only... what, 28?

You'd better give a damn good argument for this. And no, "Why have it at all?" doesn't count. Unless you want spammers wrecking the forum with long, long, long lines of text without spaces. That's what that sort of thing prevents.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Old Quote Crap!

99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, I came across it when I was replacing spaces with underscores for something I was typing. I would say it should be a little longer (preferably the length of a page, although I guess that varies according to your resolution), but it's not a major issue because it's bypassable anyway, by using [i][/i] tags.

Even after your explanation, I'm having difficulty imagining what you could have been doing, lol. Maybe a really bloated file name?

Blog Entries
    It would have to be a hell of a name for something to hit that limit.

I was a bit off on the limit; it's currently 50. That's still more than enough for most cases.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Even after your explanation, I'm having difficulty imagining what you could have been doing, lol. Maybe a really bloated file name?
    It was something like $purple_haired_girl, IIRC. I.e. using the word as if it were a variable....

Obviously, it was a lot longer than that. But, like I said, if you really need to do it you can just use italics tags in the middle of the word as a zero-length space.

Blog Entries
    Unless I fix that.

Old Quote Crap!

You're using the PM system to send code? 0_o

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    Unless I fix that.
    Could you actually do that?

But, anyway, I would obviously rather you didn't, because I can't imagine a spammer using that trick, and it's generally useful to have available in order to bypass such limits when we actually need to.

Blog Entries
    You're using the PM system to send code? 0_o
    Mike uses the PM system to send whole chapters of fanfics. This shouldn't surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Could you actually do that?

But, anyway, I would obviously rather you didn't, because I can't imagine a spammer using that trick, and it's generally useful to have available in order to bypass such limits when we actually need to.
    Absolutely. And if a spammer gets in and abuses it in that way, I'll clamp it down.

As it is, I'd still prefer, y'know, people sending things like fanfics or code over email, or IM, or even pastebin... it's not really what the PM system is for.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely. And if a spammer gets in and abuses it in that way, I'll clamp it down.
    I can't imagine they will....

As it is, I'd still prefer, y'know, people sending things like fanfics or code over email, or IM, or even pastebin... it's not really what the PM system is for.
    Actually, I wasn't sending code to anyone. I was using it as a joke as part of a post.

As for fanfics, sorry, but I'm not giving my e-mail address out to random people, and sending fanfics over IM isn't actually workable. Plus, I often need to keep it in BL formatted form (with the italics tags etc.), which is a lot easier if I send it by a BL PM. Plus, it allows me to actually get notified when I get a reply, and to keep the conversation we were having in one place.

Blog Entries
    As for fanfics, sorry, but I'm not giving my e-mail address out to random people, and sending fanfics over IM isn't actually workable. Plus, I often need to keep it in BL formatted form (with the italics tags etc.), which is a lot easier if I send it by a BL PM. Plus, it allows me to actually get notified when I get a reply, and to keep the conversation we were having in one place.
    So then create a throwaway email you use only for fanfic-related stuff. As for sending fanfics over IMs, it's called "Put it in a DOC and send it as a file transfer." I've done it before with a project Alfheimwanderer and I are working on.

Also, emails do have things called POP3 Notification. Plus on IMs, it's pretty hard to ignore an "incoming file transfer" window.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    However, all of this is far less convinient than just sending it by PM. And, given that it's directly related to this site, I don't see why I should have to go outside the site to discuss it.

Blog Entries
    However, all of this is far less convinient than just sending it by PM. And, given that it's directly related to this site, I don't see why I should have to go outside the site to discuss it.
    Because it's not the site's purpose. Not like it matters - it's scarcely going to change your opinion on it anyhow. You're free to be as stubborn as you'd like; just don't expect things to kowtow to every whim of yours. Believe me, if I ever find a "Put attachments in PMs" mod, that's being put on and the PM per-message limit is being slashed back to where it was. If you have something you can't send in 10,000 characters (or whatever it was), then put it in a DOC or a TXT and attach it to the message. I don't think most people have a problem with that.

Like it or not, the board isn't set just to make things more convenient for you, or for anyone else. There has to be acceptable minimums and maximums; so far you're the only person who seemed to have a big problem with the PM per-message limit due to sending fanfics through and being unwilling to do it in any other way. Most people are just fine with sending through IM, or Email, or Pastebin, or Google Docs, or something along those lines...

Old Quote Crap!

I think you should avoid, attachment PM's, Dark Pulse.

Next thing you know, Mike will ask you why he can't send something that's 1GB over it.

:P

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Because it's not the site's purpose. Not like it matters - it's scarcely going to change your opinion on it anyhow. You're free to be as stubborn as you'd like; just don't expect things to kowtow to every whim of yours. Believe me, if I ever find a "Put attachments in PMs" mod, that's being put on and the PM per-message limit is being slashed back to where it was. If you have something you can't send in 10,000 characters (or whatever it was), then put it in a DOC or a TXT and attach it to the message. I don't think most people have a problem with that.

Like it or not, the board isn't set just to make things more convenient for you, or for anyone else. There has to be acceptable minimums and maximums; so far you're the only person who seemed to have a big problem with the PM per-message limit due to sending fanfics through and being unwilling to do it in any other way. Most people are just fine with sending through IM, or Email, or Pastebin, or Google Docs, or something along those lines...
    I'm pretty sure that's not true, actually. I believe that Lantz uses the PM system to send fics, and I'm pretty sure a lot of other people did so on the old BL (and are probably doing so on here). They're just not complaining because they're not limited in any way by the current setup. I bet that, if you started a vote on it, you would get a response than most people agree with me.

And, like I said, it makes it a lot easier to write fics if you can send it with the BL formatting already set.

Oh, and I wasn't using it for fanfic chapters, I was actually using it for Alfheim's RP (specifically, the discussion I was having with Shirou). Since that's only ever going to be posted here, it makes life a lot easier for me if I can send it in standard BL form (and he was sending it back to me in the same manner) rather than having to convert it into word formatting and back out again.

Next thing you know, Mike will ask you why he can't send something that's 1GB over it.

No, I won't, because, you see, I'm not a total and utter moron....

Blog Entries

He'd get a good reason for that: We don't have room for all that shit. Hell, our daily forum backups are already around 70 MB... and that's GZipped, and it grows every single day.

Old Quote Crap!