Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16212425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Create-a-Mage

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kabalisto Koga's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Unfinished is kind of an understatement, you've done nothing but tell me this guy is strong and has a pet bird, which is unironically more interesting than if he's some god-magus

Fuck dude I miss MCaM again.
    You mean the Mage contest right? I once tried to initiate a new contest but i don't know if the prompt i closed where the problem or not but there were not even one member that participated .sad story . Also honestly i struggle with to decide how much information i should give and how much i should keep to me .
    Your verified Chikara-production Studios !

Dont ship me with anyone unless i say so !

When you wake a Dragon in his Lair...

Local Extra Class Aficionado DelRey's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    you started a contest without knowing if anyone would participate. That was the problem, not the prompt. You delivered an unrequested good, the quality of the product does not matter in that case.

If you are unsure, then why post them in the first place? Looks like a new case of "i am too impatient, gonna post him now".
    You made your Armenia LB introduction (somewhat) and one or two Servants for them. That guy wasnt introduced yet, then why bother releasing him? What you presented here couldve been conveyed otherwise inside the story. When we know the guy and he did stuff, then you can release him with more information.
    Releasing a blank slate to use as a later battery of sorts doesnt work in that format here.
    Delivering unfinished stuff when there are no time restrictions is something I dont get at all.
    "Let's see the color of your coin, my friend."

Behold my vault of Heroes.
    Where the Heavens and the Abyss breath the Music of Humanity.

The King's duty is to provide. And provide, I shall.
    University of Formatting | Gallery of Potential | Memorandum of the Extra Class Kings

Our Kingdom will grow. And we shall know each citizen.
    Create-a-Servant 4 soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DelRey View Post
    you started a contest without knowing if anyone would participate. That was the problem, not the prompt. You delivered an unrequested good, the quality of the product does not matter in that case.

If you are unsure, then why post them in the first place? Looks like a new case of "i am too impatient, gonna post him now".
    You made your Armenia LB introduction (somewhat) and one or two Servants for them. That guy wasnt introduced yet, then why bother releasing him? What you presented here couldve been conveyed otherwise inside the story. When we know the guy and he did stuff, then you can release him with more information.
    Releasing a blank slate to use as a later battery of sorts doesnt work in that format here.
    Delivering unfinished stuff when there are no time restrictions is something I dont get at all.
    About the contest well to bad i say . About the Crypter well i have actually him complete its rather that i don't know in which strategy or order should i release and show my Lostbelt projects parts as i have to be honest the story modelated to 95% ,and the servants and npcs as well the new Crypter team to 73 % each .
    And because you said somewhat how much should i teaser as i am not really a good in advertising after your opinion ?

Blog Entries
    Chaldea Security Organization
    Masters’ Introduction to the Key Individuals of the Alliance of Pruned Worlds
    “The Lostbelt Crypter Profiles”
    Crypter#1
    Egon Lowenstamm

Threat Level: A

The Alliance’s de-facto leader, assigned to the Greece Lostbelt. A former professor of the Clock Tower, affiliated with the Policies. He was also an active politician and once served as a mayor of a small town in Switzerland. A tenacious old man, still as witty and vigorous as ever despite being 82 years-old.

Our report indicates that his battle capability is quite formidable, equal to a C-ranked Servant. He specializes in close to mid ranged melee combat, using magecraft-enhanced swordsmanship, and has shown to utilize techniques similar to the Second Magic. However, The most dangerous weapon in his disposal is undoubtedly the unidentified mental interference-type magecraft that he employs, which has reached the level similar to a Divine Authority due to the circumstances of the Greece Lostbelt.

Given his capabilities and the characteristic of the Greece Lostbelt itself, a large-scale operation is inadvisable. Nonetheless, they are still one of the highest priority targets in our Lost World Counter-Aggression campaign. Therefore, we will be sending a contingent of 21 Servants consisting of Archers and Casters to conduct long-range bombardments and provide Anti-Mental Interference enhancements. They are to be commanded jointly by three Masters, one of which from the elite A-Team.

Crypter#2
    Saraswati Putri

Threat Level: D

An enigmatic walking corpse assigned to the Southeast Asian Lostbelt. Previously confirmed to be dead for more than a century, through unknown means that is currently still under investigation, she has somehow been resurrected. Among the locals of her country, there exist numerous contradictory rumours and stories about a figure fitting her description, but the only verifiable fact about her background is that she was once a troublesome princess of a Javanese kingdom that is now defunct.

Though not possessing much offensive capability on her own, she has been observed to be extremely resilient and resourceful. She practices the Kejawen, a syncretic Magecraft System of the Island of Java. With it as her basis, she is capable of performing a highly versatile array of spells patched together from countless Magecraft Foundations that allows her to deal with almost any situation.

For now, the Indonesian Lostbelt doesn’t seem to possess any immediate threat or potential danger that can snowball over time. Therefore, keeping it monitored is enough, and we will only send an infiltration team of 4 Assassin-class servants led by a single Master to investigate further.

Crypter#3
    Eneko Edogawa Eizaguirre

Threat Level: B-

A wealthy eccentric alchemist assigned to the Mesoamerican Lostbelt. He was once the executive of a certain multi-billion dollar gem mining and jewel smithing corporation. Though he has no official affiliation with the Mage’s Association, he had close ties to them due to being their main supplier of rare gemstones. He was thought to have committed suicide a year before the Pruned World Invasion incident.

[ACCESS UNAUTHORIZED]

Crypter#4
    Sophia Semiforas

Threat Level: A++

[ACCESS UNAUTHORIZED]

The surviving witnesses from our latest expedition reports that she displays the characteristic and power of a [REDACTED]. While we cannot verify the authenticity of this report, the result of this expedition is enough proof of the danger that she and her Lostbelt poses to our world. We are considering a larger expedition that deploys [REDACTED], spearheaded by two of the A-team Masters and assisted by three additional Masters.

Crypter#5
    Arina Bogdanov

Threat Level: C

An elusive vampire soldier assigned to the Russian Lostbelt. Her exact origin is still a mystery, but she was first recorded in 1935 serving as a cadet in the Soviet Air Force. Until two years ago, she still worked as a lieutenant in the Russian military. Whether she is a Dead Apostle, an Elemental or any other type of bloodsucker is still under investigation, but in any case, she has an uncanny resemblance to [REDACTED].

[ACCESS UNAUTHORIZED]

Crypter#6
    Twice H. Pieceman

Threat Level: EX

[ACCESS UNAUTHORIZED]

Aside from his talent as a [REDACTED] and scientist, he possesses little to no magical aptitude or any combat capability. However, the Central Asian Lostbelt he is assigned to proved to be the most perilous out of all seven Lostbelts, and so far none of our expeditionary forces and scouting teams have returned alive.

We are desperately in need of a breakthrough to contain the hazard of this Lostbelt’s imminent encroachment on our world. Thus, we are preparing to conducti a full-scale invasion that is authorized to make use of [REDACTED]

Crypter#7
    Zagan Gusion

Threat Level: A+

[ACCESS UNAUTHORIZED]
    Last edited by Kamera; January 2nd, 2022 at 10:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    the Mesoamerican LB gets more and more interesting, I see in which direction you are going for here. If you remember the FC i asked for you may know why Im interested.

I like that you turn the LB story from a kind of guerilla warfare from Chaldea into an actual full-sized war on several fronts with a different cast. Very interesting, it is similar to what I hoped to do in the future once I got enough experience.

University of Formatting | Gallery of Potential | Memorandum of the Extra Class Kings

Create-a-Servant 4 soon.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    I’m excited to see what you’re gonna do with your lostbelt story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NINE-lives View Post
    I’m excited to see what you’re gonna do with your lostbelt story.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DelRey View Post
    the Mesoamerican LB gets more and more interesting, I see in which direction you are going for here. If you remember the FC i asked for you may know why Im interested.

I like that you turn the LB story from a kind of guerilla warfare from Chaldea into an actual full-sized war on several fronts with a different cast. Very interesting, it is similar to what I hoped to do in the future once I got enough experience.
    Honestly this is just a what if situation in which Chaldea didn't get blown up in the beginning. Well, hope I can get that RTS vibes.

Optimistic about this.

Blog Entries
    Kamera : looking really interesting and so tha is teaser as i honestly struggle with to showing the servants and to keep a step by step , one question can you look a page before and tell me what yu think of my teased Mage ?
    As i have a own Lostbelt project with amongst others a Chaldea B Team .

Blog Entries
    Demon Pillars Zagan and Gusion as Last Crypter? Hm, hm.
    Noob here. Sorry about that.

Blog Entries
    *necromances your thread*

You were all warned this was coming! No Crypters from me. Nobody has posted in months, this is terra nullius, I'll do what I want. In this case, "what I want" involves an overview of the cast of the fic I'm planning, which will maybe come out eventually. Be afraid, if that's your thing. Expect a corresponding Servant compendium soon.

┣━━━╋━━━┫

great one: Azoth of the world lacking fairies
    KEYSTINE MELUASTEA YGGDMILLENNIA

Rank A+

[ [ ACCESS FILE ] ]

Servant: False Saber
    Alias: "Key", Fairy Princess of London, Kischur Tempest Magecraft: "Keystine-style" syncretic global mineralogy
    Height/Weight: 154cm/44kg Element: Average One
    Country of origin: England Circuit Quantity: A++ (EX with Anima)
    Affiliation: Clock Tower (Pride - Blue), "Yggdmillennia" Circuit Quality: A+
    Image colour: Opal Circuit Composition: Normal

Background
    Keystine Meluastea Enmorde's story starts at an extremely young age - when she was born, actually. It is rumoured that as a baby, she was targeted by fairies to be replaced with a changeling, only to kill that changeling with the help of her tremendous inborn powers. This story is... probably false, for a number of reasons, but it isn't a coincidence that she is followed by whispers that recall an episode from the infancy of Heracles himself. Since the moment her Magic Circuit turned for the first time, her very existence has always been extremely concerning to the elite echelons of western Magi that she was born into.

She was never a worry because of her talent, of course. On the contrary, her powers were seen as a gift and a blessing, proof that modern Magi were still able to produce such worthy offspring. She was celebrated for her potential by her family and by her peers as she took to Magecraft like a fish to water. Her parents were overjoyed as she so easily grasped the principles of their complex Magecraft, and it was a given from the beginning that the classes she attended would have an excellent student at the top. No, it was her personality that was worrying.

Although set to inherit the position of Lord of Mineralogy, Keystine often protested. It wasn't that she had a problem with being a Lord per se; rather, the qualms she had were with the very existence of other Lords besides herself. She seemed to see the prospect of having equals as an obstacle if true and an insult if false - an entirely imagined dilemma, but one that she could not stomach. She would often act out at the very idea of peers, and while she was never particularly unpleasant to be around, it was not a good attitude to take in an institution that thrived on the vicious egotism of Magi. She made plenty of enemies... but of course, she never noticed them. After all, she surpassed them all a hundredfold in power, and she had nothing but contempt for the very idea of politics, so the concept of allies and enemies never entered her mind even once. She had no interest in negotiations - her deepest desire was simply to stand alone at the peak of a conquered world. She isn't literally out for world conquest, of course, but she might as well be. Her dream has always been to stand unchallenged in every arena, to shine brighter than anyone else, and to be able to clear any obstacle that the world could possibly level at her. For Keystine, one has not succeeded until it is impossible for them to fail.

And so, she approached a coalition of Magi who had been estranged from the central leadership at Clock Tower - the Yggdmillennia, an unorthodox house who had stubbornly refused to die despite their decades-long decline since the Second World War. She made an offer to its leader, Darnic Prestone: "Name me as the head, and I will revitalise your clan and lead the Yggdmillennia into a bright future". Darnic, however, was much more attuned to political landscapes than the girl demanding this of him, and refused. After all, the Yggdmillennia were a withering tree of minor families who lacked strength on their own. The clan were already only existing on a stroke of luck, lingering on the edge of oblivion: to install such a miracle child into their ranks would no doubt be a death knell that would cause the clan to fracture until it fell to pieces entirely from the resulting power struggles. Such was obvious at a glance, how could she have even had the audacity to ask such a thing? He turned her away, unsure if she was a moron or simply mocking him.

Keystine took poorly to this rejection, and began to investigate Darnic further, unable to imagine what reasons he had to doubt her immense talents. It was at that time that she discovered his previous loss during the Third Holy Grail War of Fuyuki City, in which he had failed to procure the grand prize despite his best efforts, and so had begun the great decline of the Yggdmillennia. That was the moment that she had an idea: if she succeeded where he had once failed, and brought the Holy Grail to the Yggdmillennia - ready to activate from a complete ritual, no less - then surely he would have no choice but to concede to her. There was only one problem: the Fuyuki Grail had been dismantled years ago.

But Keystine did not give up so easily, investigating the data from the dismantling and even going to Fuyuki City herself to survey the former ritual site. With the help of the ludicrous computing power of her masterpiece Mystic Code, it took the Fairy Princess of London less than half a year to reconstruct the schematics of the Einzbern's Grail. Its initial creation was a miracle that she would never have been able to come close to no matter how long she lived, but on the matter of a perfect replica, that was well within her abilities. All she needed was a core.

So, asking exactly nobody for their blessing, she styled herself Keystine Meluastea Yggdmillennia, and quietly began work on building her Holy Grail.

Personality
    Dislikes: Peers, politics, power structures
    Talents: Innovation, engineering, obstinance
    Natural enemy: Herself
    Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Keystine's reputation as the Kischur Tempest precedes her. It was a nickname that she earned not through any connection to the Second Magician, but rather due to being the definitive problem child of the Department of Mineralogy. She has a bad habit of paying absolutely no mind to the people around her, nor to the consequences of her actions. She considers herself an artist first and foremost, and the act of creation is what she regales in above all else. Exactly what she creates is often an afterthought, so long as her imagination is occupied with something. It is for this reason that she has taken so well to Mystic Code creation and magical engineering in general - it is both an art and a science, a puzzle of her own making that she can solve on her own terms. Being an introvert is easy when one's entire sense of fulfilment is derived from within, so it isn't any wonder that Keystine has taken to more or less ignoring everyone around her. Without a doubt, she is at her happiest when toiling away in her Workshop to design some brand new phenomena to spite the laws of nature.

As a result, her social skills are decidedly poor. Due to being closed off to others, there are no angles of attack for those who resent her, which only serves to even further frustrate anyone who finds her lack of consideration or overwhelming talent to be threatening or obnoxious. Thus, she dislikes the idea of having equals, whether politically or in terms of more objective metrics. So long as someone exists who can undermine her, she is unable to completely focus on her own passions, and so in her eyes, the obvious thing to do is to simply dethrone anyone who comes close to her. It is, simply put, a manifestation of her Origin of Primacy that drives her to strive for solipsism. She is completely obsessed with her own creative endeavours, for better or for worse, and that has allowed her to tap into her natural talents and mature into an unmatched genius of a Magus. She is, perhaps, doomed for a Sealing Designation.

Abilities
    Jewel Magecraft
    A well-known brand of Magecraft that needs no introduction. Throughout history, crystals and mysticism have always been tightly connected, with certain kinds of gemstones being ascribed particular magical properties. Gemstones that have been tinged with power by spirits of the earth over millennia are profusely compatible with the actualisation of Mysteries, and so they are well-suited to acting as catalysts for nature interference.

The specific Foundation primarily used by Keystine's family is one that merges all kinds of smaller formulae and associations from all over the world, creating a kind of cultural superstructure whose inner workings are regulated by the clan themselves. Due to incorporating all kinds of ideas that sometimes even contradict each other, this superstructure needs constant restabilisation every generation. One could say that the Foundation is less focused on the jewels themselves, and instead concerns itself with the human tendency to mysticise jewels in the first place.

Of course, Keystine rarely uses any other gemstone these days besides the philosopher's stone, for which she has personally introduced a new subformula into her Magic Crest establishing it as an almighty rainbow-like jewel capable of converging the powers of all other stones. Thanks to the prominent Mystery surrounding such a substance that will occasionally even posit it as the first or last substance - sometimes both - this was not too difficult an axiom to create.

-

Mystic Code:
    Elemental Wings
    Anima

A Supreme Mystic Code of Keystine's design, the peak of her accomplishments as a Magus to date. Although completely unlike
    Denied Uniqueness
    Gemini
    - her family's Supreme Mystic Code - and quite removed from the Department of Archaeology's mission statement, it is nonetheless leagues beyond it, truly worthy of such a title itself. It is not strictly one object, but rather a collective - a swarm of almost one hundred thousand crystalline butterfly-shaped automata, each one imbued with the souls of thousands of butterflies in themselves. Their bodies are fashioned from the substance called "philosopher's stone", and they operate as a single unit, communicating with each other using light that has been imbued with Pseudo-Spiritrons. With this, they are capable of enormous quantum computation under the principles of swarm intelligence: a system Keystine has titled Animapsyche, King of Philosophers. While she hasn't been able to have them directly compete, Keystine is confident that the full swarm could approach the same computing power as Atlas's HERMES. Even if it can't, she plans to just add more and more butterflies to the swarm until she matches and surpasses all of Atlas.

While such a thing seems so absolutely absurd that even the most fledgling of alchemists would laugh at the idea, the creation process for one of these butterflies is actually not all that complicated. Those familiar with the biology of butterflies will be aware of the scales that cover their wings - these scales are composed of a naturally-occurring photonic crystal, the very same substance as the philosopher's stone. Ordinarily, they are not especially useful, as the size of the scales is miniscule. However, by cultivating an entire swarm of butterflies, it is possible to extract the scales from their wings en masse. While a butterfly is small, and their scales do not even compose 1% of their entire body, a swarm of them can number in the millions, making it entirely possible to produce several thousand Anima on the same mechanisms as the Elementals of Paracelsus von Hohenheim. Because butterflies reproduce quickly, it's possible to create a batch of around ten thousand Anima over just four months. One single Anima requires around two thousand butterflies to be sacrificed, so this also provides two thousand butterflies of od to be infused as magical energy. This produces a result akin to a minor Nature Spirit that might be found in a gemstone that has incubated in the Earth for millennia, allowing each Anima to be used in the same way that an individual gem would be in traditional Jewel Magecraft. The potency is lower than that of natural gemstones, of course... but being able to sacrifice five, six, or even a dozen philosopher's stones to a single spell without hesitation is more than enough to make up for that.

As well as burning handfuls of Anima to cast high-level spells in an instant, Keystine is also able to cast spells through it directly by using the swarm as a gigantic Magic Circuit far larger than any human's. In this way, she can use the automata for surveillance, self-displacement at such a long range that it's functionally teleportation, manipulation of the conditions of an area on the scale of a small mountain, and even the singlehanded performance of Greater Rituals through the irisation of her own spellcasting. While this is a terrifying prospect, the communication in open space between the automata makes it relatively easy to interfere with the transferred information, so using them this way is situational at best.

Since Animapsyche is entirely decentralised and all of its components are fungible, it is extremely difficult to meaningfully damage it, and Keystine openly declares herself to be completely invincible as a Magus while even just one percent of it is intact.

-

Mystic Eyes of Exponentiation
    A so-called "evolution" on the Mystic Eyes boasted by Keystine's branch of the Meluastea family. The powerful Mystic Eyes of Curtailment have the normal function of imposing sanctions on processes, preventing them from increasing above a certain complexity by limiting their growth. However, perhaps due to Keystine's Origin, these are a Jewel-Ranked variant that have the function of reducing the "space" taken up by a process by shrinking it - in other words, a rudimentary form of pseudo-temporal dilation. Processes take up less time because they are increased in speed, and their speed can be increased exponentially as the process is forced to complete itself in the allotted time. Keystine uses this as a form of High Speed Incantation on herself, as well as increasing her own speed drastically by seemingly slowing down time itself. Can be used to perform mathematical supertasks... assuming an infinite amount of magical energy is expended.

By using these Eyes on Anima, she can take advantage of their photonic means of calculation and effectively accelerate its computation to the point of running faster than light by compressing its time.

-

Mystic Code: Elveston
    A mysterious one-of-a-kind flint shard from an uncharted isle. It seems to be inhabited by a Nature Spirit of some kind, and it's called a "fairy arrow" when it first appears in the inventory of the Meluastea. Keystine has made it the head of a cane that she uses to cast spells, making this a fairly classical amplifier-type Mystic Code. However, due to the additional folklore of these so-called thunderstones, it also grants a protective effect against enemy Magecraft, as well as giving spells cast with it the attribute of lightning.

┣━━━╋━━━┫

reducible border Do ¬ Stand Here
    SOFIE HUANGJING LE-MEI

Rank B+

[ [ ACCESS FILE ] ]

Servant: True Saber
    Alias: Darklight of the Cyber Era, braineater72 Magecraft: Philosophy Magecraft, numerology,
    Spiritron Hacking
    Height/Weight: 160cm/50kg Element: Metal
    Country of origin: China Circuit Quantity: C++
    Affiliation: Luó-Xuán Guǎn Circuit Quality: EX
    Image colour: Cobalt Circuit Composition: Normal

Background
    Sofie was born in Hong Kong as the daughter of a down-on-his-luck programmer. Based purely on her own appearance, Sofie reasons that her disappeared mother must have been extraordinarily beautiful. Her father, of course, was a Magus as a hobby - without much care for the deeper Mysteries, he killed time by using his experience as a programmer to act as a Wizard. Surrounded by his work as a child, he would even develop her toys like cyberspaces for using Codecasts, so she did not understand for many years that there was such a huge distinction between his corporate work and his Magecraft. Once she found out, she naturally wanted to learn his arts, and started pestering him until he agreed to teach her what little he knew. Sofie took to it immediately, going far beyond the realms of an ordinary Wizard. Her Codecasts were far more potent than a mere novice's had any right to be, even apparently bestowing her cellphone a rudimentary intelligence modelled on her own overnight, one that she could communicate with - in conventional Magus terms, she had turned it into a kind of pseudo-familiar, at least until it caught fire.

One day, she even attempted to create a Codecast that would connect her soul directly to the internet. This worked, to success so profound that she was almost killed in the process. A human could not be stretched so thin, nor could she have ever hoped to process such ridiculous degrees of information. In the end, she had to be directly disconnected by her father in order to survive. This experience was enough to make Sofie swear off virtual realities entirely, focusing only on what she could construct in actual devices. However, the tremendous magical energy involved did not easily disperse without attracting some undue attention. Her father was approached by a Taoist from Luó-Xuán Guǎn, offering him an ultimatum: hand over whatever caused such a phenomenon, and he would be paid a handsome sum for it; refuse, and he would meet with an unfortunate fate. Despite his adamant refusal in the face of a far more powerful Magus than himself, Sofie stepped up demanding to be bought - she would not allow harm to come to her father. The Taoist seemed to find this profusely amusing, and elected to take the girl as an apprentice to inherit his Philosophy Key. After assuring Sofie's father that he was a bandit, not a slaver, he agreed to allow the two regular contact even from the mountains where she would be trained. Sofie has been calling him every week since then.

Her new master was not from just anywhere. He hailed from a deeply arcane branch of Guǎn that was founded by the White Emperor Kublai Khan, and had detected Sofie's antics from the ruins of Xanadu where his order had held council. He taught her of the domain he specialised in: the applications of the Bagua, through what in western terms is essentially a kind of elemental Magecraft. Sofie, being from Hong Kong, was closer to the western world than he was, and quickly discovered the links that had been made between the Bagua of the I Ching and the base-2 counting system of Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz. In other words, the fundamental operations of the world were, according to Taoist literature, reducible to the same values as computer programs. Much to her master's bafflement, she quickly broke into merging what she had learned from the two men, designing a system to build Codecasts which would use numerology to execute nature interference through the formulae of Philosophy Magecraft. Her teacher commented that doing so was nonsense, lacking appreciation for very nature of Mystery, and the fact that she had done it with such success was proof that she was certainly squandering a great deal of talent that she had inherited from her mother. Sofie is often called a "yin-yang of the new age, who has yet to fully connect the two sides of herself".

Formally invited to the Sixth Holy Grail War, she accepted immediately, making her way to Japan a full year in advance to seek out the greatest summoning catalyst the country had to offer. She knows little of this so-called wish-granting device, but she's confident in her abilities, and has a goal in mind. Her own Magecraft is eclectic, uniquely suited to consumption civilisation, but it is a deeply unstable flash in the pan that could never be passed on for that exact reason. Therefore, she desires to pioneer the creation of a proper synthesis of Eastern and Western Magecraft.

Personality
    Likes: Sweet and sour foods, screwing around with complex systems
    Dislikes: VR, group projects
    Talents: Rhythm games, puzzle games
    Natural enemy: None
    Alignment: True Neutral

Sofie is somewhat eccentric; not just as a Magus, but as a person. Something of a hedonist, most of her actions can be more or less explained in terms of how interesting she finds something. She is curious about details more than the big picture, preferring to zoom in than zoom out. She doesn't really think about the world on larger scales - or rather, refuses to - and pays little attentions to things like nationalities or borders outside of how she can make practical use of them. She is clinical about her views on cultures and ideologies, mentally considering them nothing more than a product of social vectors that can be mapped, quantified, and utilised: a very Magus-like cynicism. In her mind, the advantage of Magecraft is that it can harness such an esoteric, amorphous resource; her primary criticism of the Philosophy Foundation is that its structure that focuses on sustainability and unification is ill-suited to an ever-accelerating world.

She avoids particularly identifying herself in concrete terms, even reluctant to be called a Magus and certainly refusing to be described as a Taoist: she personally would label herself as a "user of Taoism-based Magecraft". Likewise, although she is a member of Guǎn for all intents and purposes, she would prefer to be considered an affiliate. As expected, Sofie is fiercely independent, disliking the idea of being tied down by things like factions or allies. She thinks of herself first and foremost as an eternal outsider, and thinks little of traditional values like loyalty as a result - in fact, the historical emphasis on loyalty in Chinese societies probably causes her to reject it even more, given that she goes to great lengths to avoid thinking of herself as part of a community or nation.

In truth, she mostly just dislikes having things forced on her. She was born in Hong Kong, but she doesn't recall signing anything that demanded her fealty. In a sense, one could say that she doesn't believe in anything, and she wouldn't argue with that; she considers apathy to be the privilege of youth. In reality, she is far from uncaring, but rather her passions and values are of too high a purity to be applied in a world that exists based on compromise rather than synthesis. For her wishes, from the creation of a fused culture that takes the best qualities from around the world to simply being boil the perfect egg, she is faced with the choice between keeping that purity or being able to partially make them come true. Preferring a perfect fantasy to an imperfect reality, she keeps her mouth shut about her ideals.

Abilities
    Ego Genome
    A subformula that Sofie is quite fond of, and the core of her eccentric use of numerology. A small formula used as a preface to many of her favourite custom spells, it acts to establish an axiom: that existence is emanated from self-consciousness, following in accordance with the principles demonstrated in the Zhuangzi, especially the famous butterfly dream. Using these principles as arguments, she forms a basis for the numerological construction of Pseudo-Spiritrons - normally an entirely separate theory from the Occident - within the Philosophy Foundation. Their behaviour is somewhat eclectic compared to the Pseudo-Spiritrons usually used by Wizards and alchemists, but Sofie describes her work on them as "80% accurate, 20% better".

On the surface, it appears like a simple trick, but it's comparable to to emulating a video game console on a chessboard because she doesn't want to play chess - the medium is so different, the simulation so elaborate, that any experienced Philosophy Magus would consider simply doing it at all to be madness for the sake of itself. A less resigned Taoist would take one look at her creation and furiously demand "is all of this a joke to you?!" when faced with such ludicrous misapplication of the Bagua, but her teacher tolerates her messing around for the sake of her developing potential. The great lengths that Sofie goes to squander her incredible talent to create something to her tastes is something of a running theme when it comes to her use of Magecraft.

-

Codecast:
    Demon's Logic
    Fangxiang Operation

A Codecast in name only. Its function is to generate a kind of pseudo-familiar within a circuit by constructing a basic, animalistic intelligence out of Pseudo-Spiritrons. It was once developed on the principles of Spiritron Hacking, but has been rebuilt based on the numerology of the Philosophy Foundation. Therefore, this is more strictly called Fangxiang Operation II, ported to a different system for compatibility with the incredible exaptation of Ego Genome.

In Chinese folklore, Fangxiang are attested as child-sized brain-eating demons. In modern parlance, the word is simply a generic term for a monstrous creature, and so they would simply be called a "demon" in English - perfect inspiration for Sofie, who is familiar with the logic constructs called demons such as those used by Laplace and Maxwell. As implied by these two meanings, the Fangxiangs that she creates are quasi-sentient viruses generated from Pseudo-Spiritrons that operate by possessing circuits capable of computation or logic. Similar to the amorphous western gremlin that targets complex machinery for sustenance, they are beings of information with no fixed shape. However, with sufficient magical energy, they can exert a shape given to them by their creator upon the medium that stores them, becoming automata through structural alteration - similar to the likes of shinigami, they are a perfectly acceptable conduit for the casting of Magecraft as extensions of Sofie's own consciousness.

-

Mystic Code: Pearl Shell
    A Mystic Code originally designed for Spiritron Hacking, very important to Sofie as an heirloom that has been passed down the generations from her father: a silver-coloured flip phone, modified for use in Magecraft. Realistically, it can be dismissed as a mere wand that happens to have information recording functions. Inside are a handful of supplementary artificial Magic Circuits that the user can connect to, as well as being able to engrave small-scale thaumaturgical formulae into itself. Using this, it becomes possible to cast one spell repeatedly without having to repeat an incantation: a paltry sleight-of-hand, but a very convenient tool for a low-level Spellcaster like Sofie's father.

For Sofie, her ability to use numerology to directly interface with the conditions of the World allows her to go even further, accessing the systems inside and using the logic switches inside as an incredibly dense storage medium. For her, it seems such modern technology is more useful than it would be even for the conventional Wizard it was designed to accommodate. Furthermore, although somewhat unorthodox, Sofie has developed a kind of High-Speed Incantation using the phone's keypad, allowing her to string together huge combinations of the eight trigrams very quickly simply by pressing a corresponding number.

-

I Ching Numerology
    Of course, Ego Genome and everything derived from it are ultimately all just toys. Sofie's incredible Magic Circuits and prodigious density of magical energy allow her to make her experiments viable, but for her to use them first and foremost is nothing more than her holding back out of a kind of stubborn flippancy - a self-imposed challenge to deal with all obstacles using only the tools she likes. Her numerology, however, is the true basis for her designs, and those designs are nothing more than experimental applications of an art dating back to the Xian of the Age of Gods. Incredibly close to a Privileged Domain under the direct control of the Ten Judges, a master of the principles laid out in the I Ching can be said to be already on the doorstep of Xianhood. Naturally, the Bagua are of high importance in Feng Shui, and so at least a basic knowledge of it is necessary in order to use these arts at all.

In the past, divination was often performed by drawing numbers out of the World to discern cause and effect, but it is also possible to influence cause and effect by injecting numbers into the World. These numbers are derived from the eight trigrams that the I Ching outlines: combinations of yin and yang in sequences that create all phenomena. On the most subtle levels, this can be likened to random number manipulation, but in more extreme cases it is possible to produce entire events whole-cloth. By carefully manipulating the output of qi within the Magic Circuits, it also becomes possible to convert that magical energy into material effects or substances, similar to the elemental spells of the western world. This is how, with great effort, Sofie is able to simulate an entire supplemental Foundation within her Philosophy Key; a method not all that different from programming a cyberspace from lines of code.

As an art that is much older and derived from much stabler ground than Ego Genome, it is much more efficient to use on its own terms, and so it is here that Sofie's true ability shines. She is capable of much larger-scale effects of much higher magnitude and potency, as she is not wasting the majority of her output on bringing the laws allowing Pseudo-Spiritrons into existence. It is a very pure and simple form of nature interference, so much so that it is heavily coloured by its users. In order to make full use of potentially limitless versatility, one must first self-impose their own limits in order to be able to determine how that versatility is applied - not strictly a limitation on the Magecraft itself, but upon human psychology, and so axioms must be established by anyone attempting to use the Bagua as Sofie does. Naturally, in Sofie's case, the frame of reference she uses is programming, a system that shares the same root as her self-hypnotic image that she uses to cast Magecraft in the first place.

┣━━━╋━━━┫

steel man, gilded knight
    SIGMUND VON DRANG

Rank B

[ [ ACCESS FILE ] ]

Servant: Archer
    Alias: Four-Coloured Lionsword Magecraft: Fechtbuch alchemy
    Height/Weight: 190cm/79kg Element: Earth
    Country of origin: Czechia Circuit Quantity: C
    Affiliation: Prague Association Circuit Quality: A+
    Image colour: Dark grey Circuit Composition: Normal

Background
    A member of the Prague Association, a society of alchemists based in central Europe. In addition, a reluctant socialite born into a family notorious for excessive politicking. The von Drang are among the most notable of the nouveau riche within the Prague Association's immediate sphere of influence, having a number of patents of various elixirs derived from their alchemy. The family craft was originally born from the philosophy that one's true potential was held back by the flaws of the body, both inborn and accumulated. By clearing those flaws away, they reasoned, the material body could become one and the same as the record of the body upon the soul, and so it would be possible to create a path to the Root by conflating the two - in other words, their methods were clearly inspired by the Third Magic. However, as the generations progressed and their craft grew, their medicinal accomplishments became sufficient to support them, and in the end, the descendants became solely interested in expanding their influence rather than progressing their craft. In this way, they managed to gain a number of connections and even such treasures as a Contract of Atlas, as well as some very beneficial marriages. Sigmund's father, for example, possessed excellent Magic Circuits, and so that purity was passed down to his son after marrying into the clan.

Sigmund, however, was never particularly happy with this arrangement. Although his family's worldly focuses meant that little was expected of him in terms of his Magecraft ability, he found himself lost and lacking purpose. He bestowed upon himself discipline even as a child, holding himself to strict standards and demanding achievements on par with his peers and his chosen role models from himself. It was a mentality born from his family's dismissive seed of "you're special, so you can do whatever you want", where a child who dreamed too big came face-to-face with his own limits very quickly. He had been informed that he was special, so he should be able to do this much; so he told himself as he attempted to keep up with the adults around him. This desire for competence ultimately developed into a fascination with the peaks of the human form that his inherited alchemy focused on... and then the martial arts that honed both that form, and the mind and soul it contained.

His curiosity led him to the works of the Society of Liechtenauer - an international roster of European swordmasters from the 14th and 15th centuries, who contributed to the school of swordsmanship within the Holy Roman Empire. Following the arts outlined in the treatises authored by them, much in the same way that a warrior of the east would study the Book of Five Rings, he began to develop a style of swordsmanship that could be combined with the von Drang alchemy. At first, this was something of a hobby of his, but it began to take up more and more of his time until his "martial alchemy" became the focus of his research completely. At some point, he became convinced that the Society of Liechtenauer were an association of Magi who were attempting to reach the Root through the arts that they were developing and possibly even surviving in the shadows to the modern day, although he continues to search for any proof of this.

Personally invited to the Sixth Holy Grail War at the behest of its host, he was eager to accept the writ of challenge and prepared for battle without informing his family of the details. He is more interested in the heroic glory of combat than the Holy Grail itself, enthusiastic about putting into practice what he has learned in the context that it was originally created for.

Personality
    Dislikes: Social gatherings, facades
    Talents: Discipline, picking up on implications
    Natural enemy: True Saber
    Alignment: Lawful Good

Sigmund would describe himself as an ally of justice. As someone who has longed for adventure since the day he was born, he is very eager to take on the role of a knight of fantasy. Despite how that seems, he is still quite aware of his weaknesses, and is humble enough to resort to asking for the aid of others when faced with a challenge that he is uncertain of his ability to overcome. Although he may initially appear sheltered to the point of naivete, he is fully familiar with how cutthroat the world can truly be. The crux of his motivations is not childlike idealism, but the stubbornness and determination to never let cynicism tarnish the dreams of his youth, even as an adult. Sigmund rejects the thought that maturing means becoming jaded out of hand. Justice, chivalry, honesty, hope... He still believes in the value of all of these things, and refuses to let go of them just because he has become more aware of the stubbornness of reality. Rather, it is that very thing that he takes as proof that believing in ideals is important. Nothing good, he reasons, would ever come to pass if there was nobody who believed in making it so. If he were to have met a fellow ally of justice in an earlier Holy Grail War, there is no doubt that they would have gotten along far too well.

As such, he cannot stand those who happily hide their true faces in favour of niceties. He wants to believe that there are others like him, who simply want to say things as they are without flattery or exaggeration. He believes that it is no strength to conceal oneself, but to hold oneself to one's own convictions regardless of what fears that may try to bind them from doing so. Likewise, he believes it is human nature to strive to become strong. All people are born caged by all other people, for it is the duty of one to cage others with one's own strength, just as it is their duty to break free from their own cages; this is the essence of his worldview. There is no need to oppress others - and indeed it is a matter of the ever-important virtue that is chivalry to aid the oppressed where one can - but it is important to challenge them, and to become an obstacle for them to hone themselves against. In short, Sigmund recognises the value of experiencing and overcoming difficulties, and believes that it is the right thing to do to become a grindstone against which those around him may be sharpened.

Of course, he does naturally want to see himself doing heroic things, and so he will often find himself having a little too much fun with affairs that he really ought to take seriously if he can frame it as an exercise of justice. The knightly image he deliberately has cultivated for himself is very much the materialisation of his ideal, and therefore he has gotten a little attached to it to the point of bordering on roleplay. Regardless, he has good intentions, and most of the reason why he acts this way is that he aims to create an environment in which righteousness as pure as a fairytale can come to exist. In a way, one could reduce his dream to the desire to be an unambiguous force for good. Perhaps it seems silly to onlookers, but for him, as long as he can occasionally live up to the true spirit of the knightly ideal, he is content with reviving something that he believes should have never been buried.

Abilities
    Marian Great Work
    The focus of the von Drang alchemy is based on an interpretation of the process of the magnum opus that was set out by Maria Hebraea in classical antiquity. Sometimes thought to be in reference to a chemical process, other times to a spiritual process, the von Drang use the four stages of Nigredo, Albedo, Citrinitas, and Rubedo within their creations. These stages have a great variety of application, and with their thaumaturgical attribute of Somatism, they have traditionally used it for medicinal alchemy​ that cures illnesses by inducing
    Nigredo
    Chaos
    and then
    Albedo
    Purification
    . There is obviously grand potential within a Magecraft that transforms the body itself into a Mystery, and a glimmer of that potential might have been reached far sooner had the von Drang not shirked on their research.

Of course, Sigmund has repurposed this for his Fechtbuch alchemy that repurposes his family craft into a weapon suited to swordsmanship. With ill health interpreted as Chaos, the turmoil generated in his body by ailments and wounds is used as a kind of turbine, generating an inert Black Matter from his magical energy and his own flesh. Starting with the wounds that cause such Chaos, this Black Matter coats his body like a carapace: reacting to neither force nor Magecraft, it is the immovable mortic putrefaction that defies individuation. A pale imitation to the true Chaos that is also called the Mud of the Grail, but it works perfectly well for his purposes.

This Black Matter can then be purified by Albedo into White Matter, maximising the body's capabilities in areas where it has accumulated. As well as increasing the effectiveness of physical parameters such as speed and strength, internal factors such as the senses, reactions, and even Magic Circuits are increased in accordance to the degree of White Matter generated. It is a general purpose amplification that brings the body and even brain to peak condition, and then accelerates further beyond it by raising its minimum to above its maximum. Once this happens, fine control over one's own movements becomes impossible, as they cannot be reduced any further except by expelling the accumulated White Matter entirely. In other words, it is impossible to use anything other than one's full strength, and holding back is not an option in this state. As such, Sigmund has dubbed it Albedo Break.

Once this threshold has been crossed and Albedo Break has been reached, it becomes possible to hone the inner workings of one's body to properly accommodate for this enormous boost in ability. By properly adjusting to the White Matter and properly distributing it throughout the body, its inner elements contaminate the pure White Matter and cause it to attune itself more properly to its user. The White Matter coloured by its host transforms into Yellow Matter, producing a gold-coloured powered-up form suitable for an ally of justice. In this state, the maximum output of the body is reset to match the raised minimum - for example, if Albedo Break amplified the body's strength threefold, then the upper limit is amplified to threefold that - while also lowering the minimum power to its natural state, allowing the finest possible control with extraordinarily magnified capabilities beyond the zenith of the normal human body. An ordinary Magus would not be able to withstand the upkeep of this technique, but with great training and his excellent Magic Circuits, it is possible for Sigmund to keep it consistent and under control.

Not so with Red Matter, which is far outside of Sigmund's control right now. Having adjusted a preexisting formula that belonged to his family's craft, he knows that a Red Matter derived from the Yellow must exist, and he has even created it in small quantities before, but he cannot manage to regulate the transmutation well enough to achieve a proper state of being with it. Right now, the most he can do is expel the grains of Red Matter, which immediately become unstable and dissolve in a flash of light like an explosion; proof in itself that trying to fill his own body with it as a source of strength has long since become a truly ridiculous idea. Regardless, he still believes that this goal can be reached, and continues to train in order to master its use.

Incidentally, there is a fifth colour that is usually excluded from this process: Viriditas, the state called life. The mastery of this colour was vital for the development of Sigmund's eccentric form of alchemy, as his own body is the price. Any of the generated Matters can be transformed into Green Matter, which has the property of instantly becoming one with living bodies - in other words, a healing Magecraft, sacrificing the Matter in order to restore what was sacrificed to gain it in the first place. Reverting his body back to its proper state of flesh and blood necessitated this particular colour first and foremost.

-

Deutsche Schule
    Not a system of Magecraft per se, but a martial art. Although the Far East is what first comes to mind when one thinks of "a martial art for swordsmen", there were numerous European schools that were quite similar. In particular, Sigmund has learned from the works of the Liechtenauer tradition, with his specialties lying in wielding large two-handed swords while in armour: a discipline called Harnischfechten. However, he also makes use of many techniques from Blossfechten, a similar kind of combat that lacks armour, due to the superhuman strength that his alchemy is able to provide as well as to make the quickest work of opponents who are not wearing any kind of armour themselves.

The swordsmanship of Liechtenauer and the later masters of his school emphasise speed, balance, efficiency, willpower, and a systematic method of attack that limits the possible outcomes of any offensive. It can be said that the purpose of the most basic disciplines is to develop a skill that would be called Eye of the Mind (True) in the context of Servants, which Sigmund has done with flying colours.

-

​Mystic Code:
    Chaos of Order
    Bright Arms

A living armour and sword, created to fuse and become one with its user's own body, reifying the principle of thinking of one's armaments as an extension of oneself. Although it looks impressive, it is a very simple Mystic Code designed for the purposes of wielding his Magecraft to the absolute limits of its ability. One could call it the symbol of Sigmund's infatuation with the ideal of knightliness. Connecting with the corpus via Viriditas, it is capable of generating the same Chaos that the body is, and so it can be used to generate the Coloured Matters of Sigmund's alchemy with minimal damage to his actual flesh. Although quite basic, it was upgraded with the help of a certain Atlasian that he had hired in preparation for the Sixth Holy Grail War, and now provides a substantial boost to his physical capabilities while connecting to him even without the use of Matters.

[ [ ACCESS SCHEMATIC ] ]

┣━━━╋━━━┫

rotten ember burning dark
    MOMIJI MUSUBI

Rank C+

[ [ ACCESS FILE ] ]

Servant: Lancer
    Alias: Fourth Hag of Yomi Magecraft: Oni Kind Demon (false)
    Height/Weight: 199cm/64kg Element: Fire
    Country of origin: Japan Circuit Quantity: C
    Affiliation: ──────────────── Circuit Quality: B+
    Image colour: Murky pink Circuit Composition: Abnormal, defiled

Background
    Musubi is not a Magus, only the byproduct of one's designs. She is the fourth of the eight Momiji Sisters. They are not sisters directly, but they are relatives, all born from a cursed woman from a bygone generation. The curse exists now in eight parts: no more, no less. As such, it will be inherited by a child of that line if their karma is more compatible with it than her own mother, and her mother will be freed from it in exchange. Such an essence forcibly mutated the bodies and minds of those who carried it, transforming them gradually into monsters. It was that kind of nature that Musubi was born with. Naturally, such an essence is not taken lightly by those aware of it. The Magi of the Kamo Shrines, disgusted at its nature, began to seek it out for extermination. Being outnumbered by opponents who far surpassed them, it became impossible to fight back. As such, the Momiji Sisters fled and hid, scattering around the globe. The success of such a gambit was limited, given that their hunters were masters of divination first and foremost.

Those who became Momiji saved their mothers, and thus became targets. As such, it was commonplace among those who had become Sisters to simply act to give birth as quickly as possible. This led to a number of estranged daughters, abandoned to their own devices as their mothers did everything they could to escape their elimination by the Kamo now that they were no longer considered a threat. Any Magecraft that the original Momiji would have possessed was thus not passed down to them, as they were considered nothing more than refuse. Seen by even their own parents as worse than excrement and left to rot in gutters, it is almost impossible for any of the Momiji to become functioning members of ordinary society. Entering magical society for them is also near-impossible so long as they have a bounty on their heads from the Kamo clan. They are thus wanderers, scavengers and criminals by necessity, subsisting off whatever the anonymous underworld will dole out to them.

Musubi is an information broker by trade, operating primarily out of the Golden Triangle between Laos, Thailand, and Myanmar. She is intimately familiar with the goings-on of the drug production and trade within the area, and makes a significant income from exchanging such valuable information to anyone who can pay up - with the exception of law enforcement, of course. Naturally, such an area is a fertile ground for secretive activities, including Magecraft, and her familiarity with this side of things means that she is the premier broker in the territory. She works closely with individual members of Luó-Xuán Guǎn for this reason, despite not being affiliated with the organisation itself. It was from them who she learned of the Holy Grail War being set up in Japan, and the one for whom the invitation was intended was quickly involved in a boating accident involving a fuel explosion. Musubi arrived at the site of the ritual less than a month later, with every intention of eliminating the curse she carries once and for all. She is currently staying with a relative of hers who lives in the area, but neither the girl nor her family have been cursed for generations, and she has no knowledge of the world of Magecraft whatsoever - her biggest worry is her future successor as the head of the Homurahara Culture Club when she graduates next year.

"Must be nice."

Personality
    Dislikes: Uncertainty, relying on others, improvising
    Talents: Nitpicking, optimism, catastrophising
    Natural enemy: Ren Jikan Metanovae
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Despite her appearances, Musubi is decidedly unwhismical. Outwardly projecting the image of a cheerful, dependable tomboy of an older sister, she can dispense words of advice and wisdom on the fly, and is experienced in applying all kinds of life skills. She is adamantly independent in her endeavours, and can come off as outright intimidating. Although she is confident enough in her body to show it off, that confidence is strong enough to border on solipsistic: it doesn't even occur to her that she might be being ogled, so she's weak to both positive and negative comments about her appearance since they're surprise attacks. The first impression she gives off isn't inaccurate, but it's also only the tip of the iceberg.

Above all else, she despises risk. If a risk exists, then she could spontaneously find herself in the midst of a catastrophe at any moment, which is a possibility that she is constantly unreasonably conscious of. As such, even though she's often mistaken for a delinquent or a punk, she is almost always trying to prepare for bad outcomes and really likes to mind her own business. Her goal in any act or interaction is to minimise the possibility of "bad things", so she generally plays life quite safe... But alas, much to her misfortune, life is far from safe. Her generally positive outlook applies a little too firmly to her own ideas, and through a kind of arrogance she is generally far too proud of her own ideas. As a result of this, her plans rarely ever get past step one in one piece.

Given that she is the living embodiment of Murphy's Law in that regard, she is easily panicked. She isn't particularly good at adapting on the fly, and tends to freeze up when forced to. Her tendency towards the swift failure of her plans has little to do with her ability to execute on them - rather, her ability to take into account what she hasn't thought of is what is low. Even for amateurs at tactics, there is an understanding that "what I don't know still exists, so contingencies are important", but this is something of a cognitive blind spot for Musubi. As such, no matter how much she investigates beforehand, no matter how many known facts are taken into account when strategising, the course she charts will always be an invalid one in reality. Perhaps as a saving grace, however, there have been rare occasions upon which she has managed to design something close enough to the real world to work.

Abilities
    Underworld Woman
    Yomotsu-Shikome

One of the eight women who collectively hold the curse of Yomotsu-Shikome. Recently, they have also been called Hasshaku-sama outside of the world of Magecraft. Despite bearing the name of the progenitor of oni from the primordial Age of Gods, the curse was actually born in modern times; around the 18th century. It is derived from the mythological figure that it is named for - Yomotsu-Shikome is a hag, or perhaps eight hags, who attended to the dead goddess Izanami in the underworld, and chased out her husband Izanagi when he broke a promise to her. Yomotsu-Shikome was stopped by the kami of borders, Jizou Bosatsu, and the two have been mortal enemies wrestling over the fates of children ever since... according to Buddhist tradition, at least.

An onmyoudou training in the depths of the Kamo Shrine Complex once theorised that Yomotsu-Shikome was one and the same as Homusubi, the god of fire who had immolated Izanami and who had been cut into eight pieces by Izanagi. Based on the idea that all Oni Kind are thus paths to the unified Hi-no-Kagutsuchi-no-Mikoto-no-Kami, they devised a curse directly derived from the Oni Kind constitution, specifically that of the fairytale oni who embody grudges against the World. Based on this, they created a curse akin to the nature of Phantoms, with the aim of transforming a living person into a replica of a Divine Body of Homusubi. In practice, this transformed the target of the curse into a kijo - an oni called a "demon hag" - on the level of the
    Crimson Red Vermillion
    Ancestral Return of the Mixed-Bloods
    . She was appropriately titled "Momiji", a name held by her descendants to this day.

Despite the overwhelming success of the curse's development, it was immediately targeted by the Kamo for destruction. In fact, this was because of its overwhelming success: if its creation had been just mildly imperfect, then it would have been little more than another awry experiment within their faction that would be of little note. However, for those whose principles and goals were aligned with the likes of the Tsuchimikado and the Onmyoudou Bureau of olden times, the creation of an entirely new strain of oni blood - from their own arts, no less - was unacceptable. But they were unable to kill the original Yomotsu-Shikome until after she had given birth. As such, her tremendous strength was split into eight parts among her daughters. It is unable to split into more than eight parts, and so which of the original Momiji's descendants gains a shard of the curse is dependent on the inheritance of their karma.

The powers of Yomotsu-Shikome are fairly easily understood -
    Pyrokinesis
    Spontaneous Combustion
    and superhuman physical attributes are universal among them, but the other powers are dependent on the specific karma of each user. Although she cannot compete with a Servant on equal ground, Momiji estimates that she could take on and defeat an average Assassin-class Servant "if I play my cards right". This is due to her unique nature of her
    Burning Blood
    Oxidating Constitution
    . It is not strictly a power given to her, but a facet of the curse's effects on Musubi's body. Life is understood in the modern day to be a product of the complex web of chemical reactions within the body, with the use of oxygen as vital for respiration. In that regard, Musubi is no different. However, due to the connection with the god of fire, as well as the nature of her constitution as a product of nature interference, it is possible for the use of oxidation to substitute for just about any chemical reaction necessary for her body to function. From the perspective of Magecraft, it's as if her body is continuously conducting rituals on a cellular level to gain magical energy by sacrificing electrons and body heat, related to the magical effect of Galvanism. For those familiar with such things, it is plainly connected to the Charged Corpus Theory of Spontaneous Combustion. But, to the naked eye, it would appear that her wounds physically burn away, purifying her body in flames. Because of this, it can be said that Musubi's lungs are more vital to her than her heart, and even comparable to her brain. A potent supernatural survivability that can even substitute for lost organs until it has finished regenerating them in a matter of hours, it comes as no surprise that it comes at great cost - a cost that, in short, she offsets with the help of a certain electrical healing Mystic Code and plenty of sugar. Her preferred intake of the latter is soda, which she is constantly drinking to the point where she appears to many as a terminal alcoholic until they find out it's not liquor.

┣━━━╋━━━┫

elegant lioness famishing
    OLIPHIAELÉ WODIME

Rank A

[ [ ACCESS FILE ] ]

Servant: Rider
    Alias: "Olive", Norwich Skybrand Magecraft: Astromancy, planetology
    Height/Weight: 170cm/50kg Element: Wind, Fire
    Country of origin: England Circuit Quantity: A+
    Affiliation: Clock Tower (Brand - Purple) Circuit Quality: B+
    Image colour: Sky blue Circuit Composition: Normal

Background
    Oliphiaelé was born into the Wodime family, a prominent Clock Tower clan in the orbit of Animusphere, the Lord of Astromancy. She had always coveted such a position, and worked bitterly and tirelessly to ensure that she was among those considered for succession into it, but she was overshadowed by her flawless jewel of a brother. Her politicking was infamously ruthless - when her potential seat as the future Lord was threatened by a distant but talented relative from a "lesser" branch, she arranged with the other candidates to push for a Sealing Designation in order to remove the foreign element from the equation - but that was all she had going for her. Despite her bickering with others even close to that throne, without anyone saying it, the next Lord was already decided.

She was by no means an untalented Magus; she is as expected from the thousand years of Wodime. The fact was just that being a mere prodigy was simply not enough to compete with her elder brother Kirschtaria. For someone who did not inherit the family Crest, becoming a Lord was a pipe dream, even without falling as short as she had. Therefore, she was never able to resent her brother for the circumstances of his birth. Likewise, he always supported her, even though she knew in the back of her mind that her dreams were doomed. Her very existence had been unlikely simply from how extraneous she was. So, she simply lived in denial, living out her fantasy that she had some degree of importance to the world around her.

One day, her wish was granted. Kirschtaria Wodime was assassinated by his own father.

That was not the public story, of course. Kirschtaria Wodime had made plenty of enemies, and any number of them could have been the assassin, but behind closed doors there were no doubts. The Magic Crest was eventually recovered by a woman named Weins and sold back to the Wodime clan at an exorbitant price, claiming that she had earned a reward for managing to so expertly restore something that had been utterly eroded. With great difficulty, the Crest was transferred to Oliphiaelé, and her duty in life was set: patch the holes that had been created by her brother's miserable demise. If she could do such a thing, then perhaps the Animusphere would consider taking her as their apprentice.

In the back of her mind, she knew she could not live up to her late brother on his own terms. Thus, tasked with restoring what he lost, she found herself studying that which was suited to herself. This led her to the so-called "El-Melloi Classroom", a wing of the Department of Modern Magecraft named for the legendary Lord El-Melloi II. The man had retired from teaching many years before she joined, but she still found her time there to be fulfilling and useful. With quiet disapproval from her family, she filled the Crest with all kinds of modern fixtures to enhance her capabilities closer to the Crest's previous owner. Her father, having killed her brother over the Crest but remained unable to inherit it, was unable to bring himself to raise any serious objections against his daughter's antics. It was during this time at the Classroom that Oliphiaelé first encountered Keystine Meluastea - a bane upon her as someone whose very existence opposed her in every way, and yet was unfazed entirely by the political attacks that she specialised in.

Oliphiaelé has stepped into Keystine's Holy Grail War with the sole intention of swiping it from right under her nose, declaring loudly that she is here to put a stop to her antics on behalf of the Mage's Association. The truth, however, is that she simply holds a grudge against the girl who spat on the seat of Lord that she herself dreams of one day holding; for dung-eaters like the Yggdmillennia, no less. She does not know what she will do with the wish-granter once she has it, and loudly muses that perhaps she will use its fragments to enhance the Wodime Crest. But in the back of her mind, she has other plans for the wish-granting device.

Personality
    Dislikes: Artists, people who defy hierarchy, horoscopes
    Talents: Bullying the weak, supporting the weak
    Natural enemy: Sofie Huangjing Le-Mei
    Alignment: Lawful Evil

Oliphiaelé would be described by most as insufferable. Self-important and self-aggrandising, she has a very strong sense of entitlement. Aware that she will inherit a birthright far beyond most ordinary Magi, aware that her family is of a far higher grade than even those of the geniuses of Clock Tower, she lords over others as though it were second nature to her. A model Magus through and through, she goes out of her way to maintain her coldblooded nature, claiming that it is preparation for any future atrocity that she may have to commit in the name of her research. She takes it for granted that Magi must do dreadful things, and laughs in the face of anyone who questions it to the point where one may wonder if she actively desires such a thing.

Although she is not aware of it herself, Oliphiaelé is infatuated with violence. She claims to enjoy the tale of the Sword of Damocles because of the story's poignant moral, but the reality is that she dreams of being the sword that looms over others, making them tremble and then coming down upon them in a deadly stroke once she grows bored of them. Her nature is almost instinctually disturbing to ordinary people, for those who live peacefully are most sensitive to the hungering air about her, but for those whose worlds are bathed in ruthless competition for success and survival, she would appear quite ordinary. Those who have cultivated through experience the necessary guard about themselves to persist in a violent world would only recognise her as a fellow member of that world, but in truth, she is actually rather sheltered - rather than a untamed hunter born out of nature, she is a beast that has been caged all her life, and has mistaken the enclosure it rules over for the wild.

Abilities
    Phenomenal Divination
    Named not for her skill at it, but the function of the Magecraft itself. A planetological formula, created by Oliphiaelé during her studies of Modern Magecraft. Although its core is of astromancy and divinity, it incorporates many subformulae from western alchemy. The crux of Phenomenal Divination is the same as planetary astrological divination, wherein events are predicted based on the movements of the seven planets up to Saturn - excluding the Earth, but including the Sun. Despite heliocentrism generally being considered a more durable model in modern times compared to geocentrism, Oliphiaelé remains one step ahead than even that, including within the formula a number of "arguments" against heliocentrism that admit the Sun its place at the heart of the solar system while placing Earth at the heart of the universe itself.

The association between the planets and the deities of Rome that fill the annals of European culture need not be stated. When dealing in the field of divinity, it is a connection critical to many kinds of Magecraft. In addition, the association of the planets with other symbols is of equal importance: for example, body parts and metals. In particular, the metals of antiquity are critical tools for this particular spell. Using the alignment of the planets to replicate the domains of the seven planetary gods of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Apollo, and Diana, planetological divination has historically been used to discern events that are ascribed to these alignments. Of course, this system would imply that these events can also be deliberately invoked, should one have the tools to move the planets themselves. Naturally, such a thing is not possible, but Oliphiaelé simply avoids that with a common solution - substituting the planets.

Using the seven metals - mercury, copper, iron, tin, lead, gold, and silver - she rotates a small-scale replica of the geocentric model around herself in a three-dimensional magic circle, adjusting the alignments of the artificial "planets" that she has created in order to generate phenomena: thus, "Phenomenal Divination". It is a micro-scale replica of olden astrology that drew power from space in the past, similar to the formula that the Animusphere are most renowned for. The efficiency of the phenomena generation, as well as the magnitude of its effect, are dictated by the number of metals in use - the use of genuine planets obviously produces a much higher quality output, and so it is important to reduce the number of metals accordingly for every planet that is in its correct place. The alignment of the planets is the same as the alignments of the gods themselves, and so the function of this Magecraft can be said to be the construction of a virtual shrine where the Divine Spirits' presences can be emulated somewhat, making use of their powers by reenactment.

The artificial planets that Oliphiaelé uses are small spheres, no larger than marbles, made of the corresponding metals - though in the case of mercury, it must be stored in a glass sphere, and so is technically a literal marble. Each is inscribed with the corresponding astrological symbol, and she has around fifty total sets of these planets in case she loses - or more likely, decides to ritually sacrifice - any of them.

┣━━━╋━━━┫

false lost piece/crown faker
    NILS HERYDIR-DRAGILAZ

Rank B+

[ [ ACCESS FILE ] ]

Servant: Caster
    Alias: His Highness, Mock King Morholt Magecraft: Scabbard Magecraft
    Height/Weight: 178cm/70kg Element: ───
    Country of origin: Sweden Circuit Quantity: D(+)
    Affiliation: Clock Tower (Cause) Circuit Quality: B+
    Image colour: Tarnished silver Circuit Composition: Normal, supplemented

Background
    Nils hails from a clan of Scandinavian Magi, who are allegedly descended from a King of Norway from the Age of Gods. The king once fought a brutal, unending battle until Ragnarök due to the bloodthirsty curse of his own dwarven sword. Their claims of direct descent from ancient times are dubious at best, as their records only date back as far as the 15th century - while it can be said for sure that the family is at least 600 years old, there is no confirmed direct lineage dating back to before Ragnarök. However, their declaration is not entirely baseless, as the family is currently in possession of the very same sword which was once wielded by that king.

In their attempts to claim their birthright once more, the family developed a thaumaturgical formula specifically to be able to wield the power of the sword without triggering the curse that brought about doom when it was drawn. The result was simple: they would simply never draw the sword, but instead draw on its mighty powers. And so, Scabbard Magecraft was born: an art unique to the Herydir-Dragilaz lineage, wherein the Magus themselves would become the sheath to a great magic sword, wielding its strength as though it were their very own. In essence, a practitioner of Scabbard Magecraft becomes the incarnation of the sword that they are bonded to. Over the centuries, the clan amassed an impressive number of fragments that were once pieces of Noble Phantasms - although their Mystery had always declined dramatically due to severe damage, rendering them shadows of their former selves, even a piece of a former Noble Phantasm is far beyond what a normal Magus would be able to produce. Furthermore, the collection is often expanded by way of politics - the head of the clan, for example, recently brought the Japanese sword Hotarumaru into the family's possession through his marriage to one of its current custodians.

By the standards of this clan, Nils is an abject failure. During his rite of passage at 15, he was unable to resonate with any of the fragments in the family's possession, and so none of them were deemed safe or appropriate to implant into his body. For the grandson of the previous head, whose accomplishments are among the most respected in the history of the Herydir-Dragilaz, this was an unacceptably poor showing. As such, he was treated as something of a white elephant among the clan, passed around various households and branch families. While the Herydir-Dragilaz are normally insular and see the Mage's Association as below them, Nils was considered the perfect fit to act as their representative there to "make himself useful".

Thus, he ended up in the Department of Archaeology, Astaire... with not a sword to show for it. Instead, he had to rely on only the most basic and fundamental of Magecraft, having to make up for his weakness through book smarts and extraordinary effort. Even then, he suspects that the only reason that he wasn't kicked out entirely was a combination of the prestige of his lineage and the less Magecraft-intensive course he was registered on. However, the innocuous path of the historian was what allowed him to finally find his chosen shard.

Once he gained a core for his Scabbard Magecraft, he bargained with the Sophia-Ri, who gather catalysts in a similar way. He joined the Holy Grail War with the intention of proving himself to his clan using his newfound strength.

Personality
    Dislikes: Excuses, clumsiness, "those stupid little patterns on bus seats"
    Talents: Historiography, indexing, improvising under pressure
    Natural enemy: Oliphiaelé Wodime
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Perhaps because of the high standards that he was held to himself in the past, Nils does not have much patience for, as he puts it, "fuck-ups". His motto is "do it fast, do it right, and do it once". On the topic of spectacle, he's largely ambivalent, and isn't particularly showy most of the time. However, there is a part of him that seeks to be praised, and so there are times when he is particularly proud of his accomplishments that he'll openly brag about them. To Nils, the rage of an enemy is just as much a compliment as acknowledgement from a friend. In particular, he'd like to see the furious face of his cousin Sifa who claims a shard of Gram, the heir to the position of family head - not because he has much of a grudge, but because he wants to be seen by her as a threat.

He is something of a thrill-seeker, and stress is an excellent motivator for him. For most of his life, he has seen others doing great things under difficult circumstances and all kinds of pressure, whereas he himself was previously relegated to the role of spectator until now. However, in sharp contrast, he is also intellectual and studious, having a great knowledge of apparent trivia that adds up to give him some context on just about anything he encounters. He has learned to particularly enjoy history during his time at Rocks Road. As such, he has been called a "daredevil bookworm", and it's an image he isn't strictly opposed to. Even just his involvement in life-and-death situations give him a sense of pride: his mere presence is a mark of how far he has come in his own eyes, leading him to seem somewhat cavalier from the outside.

Extroverted and energetic, his confidence has greatly increased since the obtaining of his sword, but he's not the most delicate around other people due to being something of a loner until recently. It seems that he has finally become a person that his ingrained family culture will allow himself to be proud of. As such, he's something like a living race-car: charismatic, fast, and the kind of person that young boys would be in awe at, but equally someone you don't want to be in the direct path of.

Considering all that, as well as his good looks and his abilities, his protagonist score is quite high overall.

Abilities
    Scabbard Magecraft:
    Withdrawing the Succeeded Quarter
    Curtana Replica Morholt

Nils's unique power, so innate to him that it's almost erroneous to call it Magecraft at this point. Although he lacks an elemental affinity, he is able to easily actualise miracles far beyond the realms of most Magi of his standing - especially for one who lacks a Magic Crest such as himself - using the power of the decayed Noble Phantasm that he has taken into his body. Indeed, calling the swords used by the clan's Scabbard Magecraft "Noble Phantasms" is not strictly correct, but they are still effectively treated as such through the structure of a Foundation that is derived from the reverence of sacred objects. One could say that Scabbard Magecraft is specifically an art used to artificially restore the Mystery of great things that have lost their strength in the modern era.

The Sword of Mercy, Curtana, was a prominent item among the Crown Jewels of the United Kingdom as a ceremonial implement. Among the various swords of the monarchy, Curtana is arguably of the highest ranking - an honour bestowed upon it due to its storied history that starts with its ownership by Sir Tristan, a Knight of the Round Table. As such, it was a lynchpin of the state's authority as the regulator that mediated the powers of the
    Church of England and British Armed Forces
    Swords of Spiritual and Temporal Justice
    . In this role, it had the right to restrain both the military and the clergy, but it was lost during the English Civil War. Therefore, in the early 18th Century, a new Curtana had to be fashioned - much like the original's broken tip, this sword too had its tip removed to symbolise its merciful nature. Despite being only a facsimile of the original, this replica maintains its ceremonial role as royal regalia in the present day, and is even the Noble Phantasm of British monarchs such as Queen Victoria, so it does still have legitimacy as a crystallised Mystery.

During his studies in the Department of Archaeology, Nils was able to locate the tip of this replica, which had apparently been kept by the smith tasked with creating it. Taking it into himself as the core of his Scabbard Magecraft, his own body is now the scabbard that holds Curtana Replica, allowing him to utilise its abilities for himself. As the Sword of Mercy, it is primarily defensive, and the proper Noble Phantasm would normally reflect this. However, the interaction between the mechanics of Scabbard Magecraft and this particular shard is unusual. Due to the tip being deliberately removed to give the sword the quality of mercy, the use of that very tip is to wield the brutal lethality that was cast away. As Nils has become the tip of the sword itself, so too has he become tyranny itself.

With will alone, Nils has the right to summon forth the brutality of Theocracy and of Stratocracy.

Morholt Theocracy is the spiritual tyranny of holy institutions, which in turn grants him spiritual power. As well as being able to directly affect spiritual beings, Nils is capable of spiritually affecting people as well. Theoretically, this can go as far as outright mind control as he takes ahold of the very souls of those around him - with the exception of those with sufficient strength in their Magic Circuits to resist - but he finds this particular application repulsive in concept. However, this is not the extent of its powers: it grants Nils a conceptually heightened spiritual standing superior to that of a proper human soul, allowing him high resistance to psychic and spiritual effects. In addition, it allows tremendously strong anti-spiritual effects akin to the Baptism Rite of the Holy Church.

Morholt Stratocracy, however, is Nils's literal primary weapon. With authority pertaining to the military, he can summon Projection-like simulacra of the weaponry used by any branch of the British Armed Forces, which act as magical constructs with a conceptual advantage against "the masses". Given the scope of modern armaments, this naturally allows him access to an absurd degree of firepower, theoretically speaking. However, in practice, there is still a limit to what his Magic Circuits are able to handle - even just the summoning of a small boat is outside of his ability. As such, Nils largely relies on the weapons of individual soldiers, albeit in significant numbers. It goes without saying that he is also equipped with the skills to use these arms, as well as being able to amplify his physical parameters to suitably act as "war itself".

Rather than two "modes" to switch between, they are the two arms of the tyrant king, and thus can be combined in various ways by using their powers in tandem. The most common combination Nils favours is the sanctification of his generated weapons. Naturally, a bonus is gained while on British soil; however, because the essence of his powers is tyranny, it is somewhat reduced in effectiveness when targeting another who could claim the title of "king".

┣━━━╋━━━┫

child of Library, drawn dust
    ANDRI VEL ORDOS

Rank C+

[ [ ACCESS FILE ] ]

Servant: Assassin
    Alias: Sibyl the Rainbow, CEO of Crisis Magecraft: Atlas alchemy (sensory)
    Height/Weight: 160cm/48kg Element: Earth
    Country of origin: Egypt Circuit Quantity: D
    Affiliation: Atlas Academy Circuit Quality: D+
    Image colour: Cyan Circuit Composition: Normal

Background
    Andri was born in the Titan's Pit to the Ordos family, a small household distantly related to the Sokaris who nonetheless attracted great curiosity for their promising work. Until age 10, she had never heard of the sun as anything more than a symbol within the vast array of alchemical teachings. Once she became aware that it was a real thing, she desired above all else to see it with her own eyes. The underground city of the Academy had its own artificial environments, of course, but as an alchemist, she knew better than anyone the difference between the genuine article and a fake. Being able to leave Atlas and step into the outside world was a dear childhood dream of hers that she gradually forgot as she grew older.

Despite spending most of her time focusing on her alchemical researches, Andri always felt limited. Perhaps because the Atlasian Magecraft surrounding her was intended to heighten the cognitive ceilings of its users, she could not help but be sensitive to that ceiling. Unable to shake the creeping idea that she was stupid as it accumulated through the inconsequential embarrassments of daily life, as well as her notoriously unreliable future calculations, she eventually identified the problem as a subpar ability to determine relevance. In short, she realised that she was too quick to dismiss information, and in order to correct this, she set herself to work on an alchemy that would accommodate for all information.

As she got older, Andri made quite a name for herself in the Academy for her unusual and novel approach to the crafts, and was broadly quite popular. A number of men have proposed to her - in a few cases, on behalf of their sisters - but since she has always been chronically weak to such direct things as romance, she never managed to give anyone a serious answer. She worries whether that counts as "leading them on".

Because of her reputation for dealing swiftly with disasters, Andri was hired for participation in the Holy Grail War by Sigmund von Drang through the use of his Contract. With her skills, she serves as the information analyst of their team, as well as managing and maintaining their Mystic Codes. In addition, she acts as the Master of Assassin, a relatively low-cost Servant, due to her background with Atlas resulting in her substandard Magic Circuits.

Personality
    Dislikes: Inflexible people, unknowable things
    Talents: Resolving disasters, etiquette
    Natural enemy: Keystine Meluastea Yggdmillennia

Andri is very, very good at mitigating the impacts of problems, no matter their severity or scale. Beyond "crisis management", she is infamously known as the "CEO of Crisis" among her peers for her sheer ability to clean up a mess. This is a skill that is very important to her, and she attributes it to a lack of imagination on her part. According to her self-image, Andri is exceptionally uncreative, meaning that anything she devises is logically derived from information that she already has. She is very conscious of the genealogy of the ideas in her head, which is possibly the source of her talent for cushioning the effects of potential disasters: she is always aware of what she has not​ taken into account. Of course, deriving ideas from circumstances is precisely what many would call "creativity", but imposter syndrome as a tendency to strike even the most brilliant of minds.

That said, she strongly dislikes the thought of being unintelligent or irrational. Her intellect is her most prized asset, and her self-image as a talented thinker is perhaps the most important thing to her. As such, she studies without end, and her first reaction to something she doesn't understand is to look it up rather than make any potentially incorrect guesses on its nature. This has led to an almost insatiable curiosity for things that cannot be measured, such as arts and culture. However, fortunately for her self-esteem, true lack of understanding is rare thanks to her incredible analytical capability, both magical and mundane. She has something of an intuition for spotting what she calls "keystones": crucial factors that hold maximal situational weight, the elements that would cause the most shift in circumstances if they were altered or removed. This is what she credits for her crisis management skills.

Perhaps because of her inquisitiveness concerning immaterialities, she is very concerned with proper manners. She doesn't mind if others are slightly inconsiderate, informal, or rude - in fact, it's quite reassuring to her if they are, as it means they are less likely to become irritated with her if she slips up on an unfamiliar custom. To maintain composure and formalities in all circumstances is a high standard that she holds only herself to, and so she has developed a skill for delivering remarks through that politeness that other people would balk at even attempting. In settings where she is comfortable, Andri is simultaneously refined and blunt; a combination of traits that make her quite easy to get along with for those who appreciate hearing the true feelings of others. That said, because she is used to her politeness being reciprocated, she can't deal with it when someone is direct back to her.

Abilities
    Atlas Alchemy
    A kind of alchemy that can be said to be the origin of Magecraft, in its own way. Instead of dealing strictly in material phenomena, Atlasian-style alchemy deals in the information of phenomena. Rather than inventing rituals with the imposition of artificial laws, Atlas gears itself toward the discovery of rituals that are born from the inherent properties of Mysteries and their workings within the World. This is all common knowledge, of course.

Naturally, Andri is versed in the Academy's signature Magecrafts of Thought Acceleration and Memory Partition. In terms of the latter, she is capable of generating three "rooms" - in other words, 16 concurrent lines of thought. This is something of a bare minimum by the standards that she is held to, but Andri finds it difficult to expand further due to her lack of aptitude for multitasking. However, while the ordinary Atlasian's talents might be measured with the efficacy of their Memory Partition, Andri's trump card is being extremely well-suited to Thought Acceleration. The speed of her heightened cognition is dozens of times more effective than normal due to her capitalising on that natural talent, allowing her to keep up with even the 256 trains of thought of a quadruple-partition alchemist.

-

Synesthetic Anthology
    From the Etherlite to the Exoforms, the alchemists of Atlas will often model their creations off of the human body - specifically with the purpose of enhancing the functions of the brain. Andri is no exception in this regard, and the focus of her research is the senses as a subfield of the nervous system. In modern times, increased sensory faculties can be considered an outright disease, due to the overwhelming wealth of information being unable to be properly processed by the human mind. However, due to the support of the brain as the entire function of her Magecraft, Andri has gone to extraordinary lengths to take advantage of various channels that it is possible for the brain to connect to. Simply put, humans cannot access reality directly - observation, although seeming passive, is an active act of interpretation, which is used to construct a simulated reconstruction of the world within oneself called a phaneron. The self interacts with the phaneron, and the interaction is thus reflected in reality. Therefore, to expand the reach of the phaneron is to expand one's reach into the world: so goes the fundamental principle of Synesthetic Anthology, a Magecraft that expands the senses into domains of information that ordinary humans will never perceive.

Simply put, it is a facsimile of extrasensory perception (ESP). Although Andri was not born with any extra senses herself, the information still exists outside of her, and thus it can be detected and interfaced with. For ordinary humans who possess
    Psychic Circuits
    extra regions
    within their brains, this is trivial - in Andri's case, she does not possess any, and thus has to repurpose existing areas for this to function properly. For example, the eyes perceive light, but with the use of this Magecraft, it is possible to tune into "another channel" instead and "see" something else. What exactly she can detect using the substitutions made is up to her: using her Magic Circuits like a dial on a radio, searching for a station, she can tune into the flow of just about any kind information that can be accessed. Although she would normally lose her original sense in doing this, the use of the rooms of Memory Partition have an excellent compatibility with this particular Magecraft, allowing her to - for instance - lose her sense of hearing in one partition to detect radio waves instead, while also tuning into electrical charges in another partition, all while maintaining her original attunement to sound waves in another. Assuming the substitution of the five cardinal senses within 15 of her 16 partitions, this allows her to effectively gain up to 75 extra senses of her choosing that an ordinary human would not possess.

Naturally, this extrasensory perception is accompanied by the ability to interact with these channels, causing her Magic Circuits to become the source of Psychic Powers. Although these abilities generally are not up to par with the nature interference of normal Magecraft, simply possessing dozens of them simultaneously means that she far surpasses any natural-born Psychic in terms of her versatility, especially since she can effectively decide which powers she wishes to develop, as well as combine them to great effect. Using these powers is as intensive as observing, and so is not strenuous to her at all, but maintaining the partitions along with the extra senses simultaneously can rapidly become taxing on her mediocre Magic Circuits regardless of the degree to which she is using them. Essentially, this is a "superpowered transformation" where its innate abilities cost nothing, but a set amount of MP is drained every turn to maintain it.

Regardless of her sheer quantity of possible abilities, her combat power is quite low compared to Magi who specialise in such things. Andri gauges that she would not be able to stand up to a proper weapon created by one of her fellow alchemists, with some possible exceptions that suffer from Achilles' heels or unforeseen design flaws that she can exploit. Regardless, she is confident that her ability as an analyst is top-class because of this Magecraft, and she proclaims her future prediction and calculation skills to be among the most precise in Atlas.

┣━━━╋━━━┫

ivory craft/work: Sin of Pride
    TRITHEMIUS GLORIA

Rank C

[ [ ACCESS FILE ] ]

Servant: Berserker
    Alias: Eros Witch, Someone Else's Problem Magecraft: Jamesian demonology (Stoic)
    Height/Weight: 160cm/63kg Element: Water, Daemon
    Country of origin: Italy Circuit Quantity: D
    Affiliation: Sponheim Abbey Circuit Quality: D
    Image colour: Lavender grey Circuit Composition: Altered (Asmodeus System)

Background
    Despite taking the name of Johannes Trithemius, the tutor of Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa, Gloria is actually a first-generation Magus. Her Magic Circuits are pitiable, and she is far from the level of ability that would allow her to be meaningfully called a "witch". Rather, the name is given not as praise, but as derision: even within Sponheim Abbey, she is considered an upstart who has cheated her way into powers above her station, and is largely rejected by her peers and her superiors. This bad reputation is somewhat deserved, and ultimately dates back around 25 years to the time she first became aware of the world of Magecraft.

At that time, the only daughter of a wealthy family, worth several hundred million dollars from their involvement in the consumer electronics industry, was working her first job in a red light district in Catania, Sicily. Given her background, it was unthinkable; given her age, it was illegal. She solved both of these problems in one fell swoop by employing a fake boyfriend with connections to professional counterfeiters. Under the impression that her sneaking out at night was nothing more than ordinary youthful indiscretions, her parents would roll their eyes and quietly pretend not to notice, all while being genuinely unaware that she would be heading to seedy nightclubs to prostitute herself using a fake ID. Obviously, she had no particular need to do this - she was simply curious, and especially interested in the idea of "public use". Just a few months into her new enterprise, she was captured by a Magus, who had mistaken her for a viable, low-profile target for a sacrifice who would not arouse much suspicion. Before she knew it, she was being offered up to a monster beyond her comprehension.

She was somewhat unsure as to how exactly she managed to sweet-talk the Daemon into taking the life of its own summoner instead, but that day marked the beginnings of her forays into Magecraft. The summoned Daemon ascribed it to being given a false name, "Gloria", as was written on her fake ID, and scoffed at the Magus who had conjured it as too naive in the ways of the world to handle something as great and terrible as itself. Although Gloria was not much better in that regard, it respected her hunger for knowledge that so surpassed the taboos of the society around her. So, it began to tutor her in the Mysteries while possessing the Magus's corpse. It called itself "a manifestation of Ashmedai", and claimed to be an instrumental figure in the creation of the Magecraft of this era. Due to the talent she showed in interfacing with it, the two settled on the field of Spiritual Evocation - specifically pertaining to Daemons - as their focus for her education.

When she had learned all she needed to know to join the world of Magi as a novice, Gloria joined Sponheim Abbey in Germany, and quickly absorbed a lot of knowledge from her teachers. She quickly made it to the top of her class despite severe discrimination, and she eventually found herself as a highly successful alumnus. However, she currently wanders from country to country, developing her craft as she travelled. Generally, she is considered something of a nuisance by the Magi whose territories she passes through, but she usually manages to get out of squabbles in one piece. If she has a goal, she hasn't mentioned it to anyone, and is really only interested in the Holy Grail because it seems like it would be useful to make into a Mystic Code rather than because she has a wish she wants granted.

Personality
    Dislikes: Pompous men (but pompous girls are cute)
    Talents: Information retention, dirty tricks in every sense
    Natural enemy: Kyriake Luxestiva
    Alignment: Neutral Evil

Gloria is incredibly unpopular among those who know of her but haven't met her, and while those who have broadly have a more positive view of her, they generally agree that she is "holistically sleazy" as a person. Taken as a whole, she is undeniably unpleasant, but not for any discrete reason that can be directly pointed to. Rather, her unpleasantness is an emergent property - she rarely directly aims to displease, but she is simply intuitively unbearable in the grand scheme of things. If one was absolutely pressed to pick out some overtly bad qualities, her depraved hedonism and her flippant smugness would both come to mind. She defends herself mostly with words like "at least I'm honest about being motivated purely by self-interest", as if too little honesty was the problem.

In her private time, she acts largely as one would expect from an average single woman ten years her junior - the image of pyjamas and beer fit her to a tee. The only reason she doesn't bring the two with her in public is for practical reasons rather than trying to seem proper. In fact, impropriety is more or less her personal theme. She will openly flirt with more or less anyone regardless of age, gender, or station. Her insistence on somewhat skimpy "cute clothes" is born purely from shamelessness, and she openly basks in desires aimed at her. However, despite her reliance on charm, she broadly won't sleep with anyone who she has seduced by Magecraft... Not out of any sense of principles, but because she knows it'll get her in trouble. Still, so long as she has her charms both mundane and arcane, she has every intention of enjoying the world as her personal paradise of (admittedly mostly PG-rated) eroticism.

She is hardly a proper Magus, but it isn't strictly correct to call her a Spellcaster either - she is more liminal, operating in a space between the two. She has so little respect for rules and tradition that the only reason she hasn't been assassinated is because she's too small-time for it to be worth the resources, and yet research into Magecraft remains the main pursuit in her life to the point where it's hard to deny that she is a Magus of some stripe simply by the literal definition of the word. Of course, since Gloria's very own stated motivation for studying Magecraft is an open lust for power (and also just normal lust), she is taken seriously as neither and dismissed as a dirty old hag by just about everyone, despite her alarmingly fast development in the magical arts. She doesn't really care - she isn't looking for their respect.

Abilities
    Succubus Cycle
    Asmodeus System

Essentially, Gloria's Magic Crest. Known in its prototype stages as the Contract-Demonic Seduction Cycle, it is a looping ritual conducted within her body, keyed mostly to her respiratory cycle. As its name would imply, the purpose of the Magecraft is to establish an infinite loop of fascination-type mental interference that can be emanated outward into Gloria's proximity. It is, for some reason, her masterwork: the System is made of hundreds of components that can be switched on and off at her leisure, including two distinct multi-layered Mystic Eyes, dozens of subliminal suggestions, the transmutation of her bodily fluids - including even her breath - into aphrodisiacs and love potions, the weaving of hypnotic and illusory effects into her voice and over her skin, and so forth. It even includes the scent of her hair, giving practical function to the hat which she had previously only worn because she felt it was funny to have it as a practitioner of Magecraft.

The System works on a kind of deliberate, controlled Daemonic possession, primarily through the use of the spirits of the dead. According to James's Daemonologie, these spirits are called Lemures or Spectra - in English, Larvae. Within the Foundation laid out by the treatise, Larvae are a type of spirit explicitly distinguished from Succubi, so the name "Succubus Cycle" is actually a misnomer. Regardless, Gloria's formulae interpret Larvae as they are intended to be interpreted - as the spirits of the dead - and posits a connection between them and the triad of
    Body
    Soma
    Soul
    Psyche
    , and
    Spirit
    Pneuma
    . Interpreting the Pneuma that animates the flesh and remains on Earth as one and the same as Larva, its principles are described in accordance with the theories of the Stoic Cleanthes. Lingering spirits are equated with the unevaporated od and leftover thoughts of the dead. However, Gloria goes even further in equating the two, declaring that the pneuma of life and pneuma of spirit are equivalent to the pneuma that gives shape and meaning. In this way, her own Larva is also interpreted as a medium for the operation of Daemons, similar to how Ether was once considered a medium for the motion of light. In other words, she processes her magical energy using the Sixth Imaginary Factor as an element to achieve effects.

In this way, she generates facsimiles of contract Daemons inside her body, channelling them to enact nature interference. The scale is, of course, not even close to a genuine summoned Daemon, but that is not the intent. Rather, the vector of the System's attack is to continually emanate her own
    Larva
    presence
    as particulates of the Sixth Imaginary Factor, taking root in those around her and allowing her to dominate them as though she were a Daemon possessing them. Much like how a proper possessing Daemon would exhibit effects over one's behaviour, thoughts, and body, Gloria is able to influence her victims' behaviour and thoughts to be more susceptible to the fascinating influence of her own body. The fascination effect is ultimately derived from the inability to resist her, as the victim becomes a seedbed who gradually matures into her familiar that operates as a part of her.

The ultimate fate of those who fall completely under her power is to become nothing more than extensions of the Witch of Pride in mind and soul, consumed by the spiritual parasites that have devoured them from the inside. It is an insidious power that even Gloria will rarely see through to its end - and indeed, her Pseudo-Daemons will not mature beyond what she allows - but even she cannot actually remove them, nor reverse their progression. Those who fell prey to her charm spend their days even now with those seeds within them, and even those who have not seen her in decades will find themselves just as infatuated and obedient as they had been years ago. Since the Pseudo-Daemons remain within the body as parasites, even the normal Resistance of Magi is ineffective as a defence, and something more specialised must be prepared to counteract the System. Although the mechanics are entirely different, it is sometimes called a curse because of the superficial resemblance to one, although it is nowhere near as unbreakable.

The further a person is under her power, the more she is able to access their minds directly, allowing her to take in their skills and their knowledge. Although Magic Crests are furnished on the body and thus outside of the Asmodeus Cycle's ability to access, she has managed to become an expert in several fields of Magecraft just by drawing on Magi who she has enthralled in the past. Much of it is beyond her average Magic Circuits, but mere awareness of the logic governing various aspects of otherwise unfamiliar Magecraft is enough to give her a decisive advantage against other Magi, to say nothing of everything that she has learned and can handle. Of course, she keeps the "knowledge-stealing" power of the System a secret to avoid dire consequences, claiming that she has learned everything she knows from summoned Daemons.

┣━━━╋━━━┫

living Saint Garden - body of Light
    KYRIAKE LUXESTIVA

Rank

[ [ ACCESS FILE ] ]

Servant: ─────
    Alias: Living Church, Golden Maiden Magecraft: Holy Word
    Height/Weight: 169cm/50kg Element: Hollow
    Country of origin: Ireland Circuit Quantity: A+
    Affiliation: Holy Church Circuit Quality: A++
    Image colour: Yellow brass Circuit Composition: Abnormal, sanctified

Background
    Kyriake is the protege of Eustace Madeld. While he has been known to most of the Holy Church as a rather eccentric man of the cloth, he is still considered an avid and more-or-less respectable tutor. His interpretations of scripture and dogma have always been unique, but never quite to the point of outright heterodoxy. At his core, Madeld seems to subscribe strongly to a notion oft mumbled by his peers - that one's time on Earth is a necessary experience for heaven for reasons beyond merely testing one's moral character, and as such, it is important to embrace the worldly pleasures of God's creation while avoiding succumbing to its wiles. That was the kind of man that Kyriake trained under.

She has not been exposed to the world outside the Holy Church all that much, but is very well-versed in it regardless, having conscientiously researched it for when the day came for her to act under the will of the holy fathers. Madeld was the one who ultimately ended up announcing that the Church had ascertained the presence of the Holy Grail that sparked the Sixth Holy Grail War. She was initially supposed to simply support the actual Overseer, but it seems that the man met his demise before the war began. Now it seems she has been placed in charge of administrating the war herself, but she is assured by Keystine that there is no need to call for assistance, and that she is doing just fine, while quietly cutting off communications with the Holy Church.

Personality
    Dislikes: Being relied on
    Talents: Theology, gardening, listening to others
    Natural enemy: Keystine Meluastea Yggdmillennia

It can be said without a doubt that Kyriake is saintlike in her temperament. A kind and measured person who does her utmost to be kind and understanding to others, she can be counted on to empathise with just about anyone, doing her best to understand their point of view. She will give the benefit of the doubt to just about anyone, and is sympathetic to even the most unsympathetic of people. She is openminded, but also pious, loving God with her whole heart. Whether others are of her religion or not, she does not treat them any differently, and will do everything she can to meet them where they're at and commune with them on their own terms.

Even while absolutely following the necessary character of a shining holy maiden, Kyriake is practically defined by her uncertainty. She does not claim to be any sort of genius, nor does she find herself to exude any particular essence of competence. Rather, she simply wishes to perform to the best of her ability at any task she may find herself carrying. That said, despite her good-natured efforts, she finds herself always on the verge of paralysis at her fear of failure, and hates more than anything to be relied on for that exact reason. She responds poorly to pressure and tension, pushing on but never without a growing pit in her stomach. She cannot handle confrontation, and simply does her best to negotiate rather than pushing her position even in the face of violence.

When free of expectations however, she is an extraordinarily pleasant and comforting presence. Her good nature does not merely stop at her eagerness to help others, but also extends to every aspect of her interaction with the world around her. Her kindness and consideration are remarkable, to the point where they may well be the source of her fears. She has a strong view of right and wrong, following her conscience wherever it leads her - perhaps the only course of action where she does not hesitate. If she were born in another era, she would have unquestionably been considered a saint of the highest virtue.

Abilities
    Mystic Code:
    Collage of Sacred Roses
    Hortus Sanctorum

The red habit worn by Kyriake. To the untrained eye, the revealing scarlet dress seems extraordinarily unfit for a clergywoman with a vow of chastity, but those versed in the nature of its Mystery will recognise its potency immediately. The Hortus Sanctorum is a defensive-type Mystic Code composed from dozens of high-grade Holy Shrouds that would have been each considered incredible even individually. Due to the rarity of the Shrouds in general, let alone ones of this quality, the dress itself has been shaped from minimal material, and so shows a lot of skin as a mere consequence of this, according to Kyriake's tutor.

However, despite such an unintuitive form, the Sanctorum's defensive capacity is beyond first-rate. It grants the highest grade of protection against evil spirits, demonic influences, hereticae such as Magecraft and Psychic Powers, foreign gods, mental influences, possession, killing intent, and so forth. It would not be an exaggeration to claim that it is absolutely comparable to a Noble Phantasm in its sheer efficacy, as even the likes of Servants would struggle to pierce its protection without a dedicated effort. Kyriake herself considers it outright superior to a Noble Phantasm due to its very nature being enough to deal serious wounds against the likes of Dead Apostles simply from touching it where a Noble Phantasm would otherwise dissolve instantly.

-

Mystic Code:
    Heart of Chastity
    Cor Pudoris

A refined sapphire gemstone that Kyriake wears in an amulet around her neck. It functions as something of a seal for her body, preventing it from undergoing permanent alterations while it is being worn using a method similar to Innate Time Control.

She does not answer questions about exactly why she has it or what it is made from, but it seems to be there in order to prevent bodily disfigurement in the case of scarring from injury or the like. It seems that there is a great deal of care going into preserving such a bright star.

-

Mystic Code:
    Rod of the Blind Goddess
    Virga Justitia

The staff Kyriake carries with her is considered to be a unique Key of Providence in its own right. In addition to aiding her in her own casting, it also has the ability to fire searing beams of golden light as a means of self-defence. She does not particularly need help in using her Sacraments, but she decided that she wishes to be thorough in order to best do her job. It also is fairly useful in the event that she needs to actually exercise her authority as the Overseer of the Holy Grail War, though she doubts such an extreme event will ever occur.

┣━━━╋━━━┫

neutron star\Lotus like Mercury
    REN JIKAN METANOVAE

Rank E++

[ [ ACCESS FILE ] ]

Servant: ─────
    Alias: ───────────────────── Magecraft: Spirit creation (astrological)
    Height/Weight: 152cm/44kg Element: Ether, █████
    Country of origin: Japan Circuit Quantity: EX
    Affiliation: ───────────────────── Circuit Quality: E-
    Image colour: Blank Circuit Composition: Normal (nervous)

Background
    There is little to tell on the subject of Jikan Ren himself. Raised in the town where the Einzbern Holy Grail once stood, he practiced Magecraft with the mockery of a Magic Crest that he inherited. He has little knowledge on his parents besides that his father was sealed in a massive undertaking by the Mage's Association. The sister of the Holy Church he knows as "Onee-chan" is far from a constant presence in his life, often required by her duties to be elsewhere. Ren grew up with little guidance and no destiny to speak of, vaguely aware of his status as an extraneous actor on the stage that belonged to others. He is nothing more than leftovers from a certain finished tale, a dangling thread that didn't go anywhere. Although he inherited the Jikan Magic Crest, he had no proper tutor when it came to Magecraft, and so he ended up largely self-taught as an overqualified Spellcaster rather than a formal Magus, with some occasional course correction from his eccentric guardian.

Regardless of his Magecraft, he also needed something to do and a proper education of some sort, so he ended up attending an ordinary school. Despite his odd appearance and his unusual personality, he successfully managed to become little more than a footnote among his classmates, doing little to draw attention to himself and largely minding his own business, even in the face of the other Magi he attended alongside. At some point in high school, he was dragged into the Homurahara Culture Club by a friend of his who thought he would be a good fit for a room full of weirdos. He could hardly bring himself to disagree, and he currently lives a life of dubiously inconsistent attendance at school alongside showing his face at club whenever it is in session. Ren is soon coming up to the eve of his graduation, and is currently unsure what he will be doing after that.

Personality
    Dislikes: Himself, ultimatums, stubbornness
    Talents: Contrarianism, facades, healing
    Natural enemy: Everyone
    Alignment: ███████████

On the surface, Jikan Ren is meek, awkward, but sweet and good-natured, even if a little odd. Although his friends have gone so far as to describe him as "traditional moe", his defining trait is his tendency to shift depending on who he is speaking to. He could be called "easily influenced", and he is not totally aware of how he changes around others. He can seem at times to be deliberately obtuse and contrarian, and has a bad habit of constantly playing devil's advocate as though on reflex. He finds it hard to get along with people who are sure of their own principles without any intention of entertaining that they may be mistaken - not because he dislikes them, but because he has a habit of trying their patience to the limit without really meaning to. He is almost like an inverted mirror, showing himself to be complementary to whoever he is speaking to. This does not help the image that he is being deliberately difficult, especially when it results in often contradicting himself in the midst of his intellectual exploration. He is certainly an inherently curious person in that regard, and takes great interest in others, which lends to him being something of a natural background character when combined with his tendency to "prop up" those around him. There is something about him that isn't quite right, as if he isn't quite a complete person... As if there is something uncanny lurking in a hollow space just under his surface.

Regardless, just as he morphs to match others, presenting the opposite to their own "face", he will without thinking act to assist those in need of it to the best of his ability. Well, he does occasionally think about it, as his devilish streak will occasionally prevent him from revealing his entire hand - usually whenever it has a practical excuse to do so. Even still, it is hard to call him a bad person. Somewhat eccentric, slightly vexing, but even at his most "evil" he teeters carefully on a thin tightrope between an innocuous trickster and a dangerously enthusiastic guardian. Regardless of the form his personality takes, whether changing by himself or for others, some elements remain constant - despite a masochistic imp smirking in his shadow, he is a meek, awkward, good-natured person who is constantly trying to improve things for those around him. He has his concerns about the way that he is, but he cannot imagine living any other way. The course of his life is something that others decide, like a sailboat waiting for the breeze to take it on an adventure.

Abilities

Metanovae Magic Crest
    The Metanovae were, depending on who you ask, either recklessly brave or astoundingly stupid. Those who fell in line to inherit the position as family head are exposed to a procedure at a young age with an extremely high mortality rate, for good reason: it divides the clusters of nerve fibres in the body and forces approximately 20% of his neuron cells to form the basis of a false Magic Crest. The information is stored in the shape of the structure that covers 150,000km of fibres, forming a magic circle which - at least in this case - has around three quarters of the circumference of the entire planet. In other words, the vast majority of Ren's "Magic Circuits" are of exceedingly poor quality. He just also effectively possesses something to the tune of twenty million of them.

This has both benefits and disadvantages. For example, the false Magic Circuits can be sectioned off to give truly unbreakable resistance to mental and spiritual effects, but in return, the interference to the nerves cause constant numbness and a number of endocrine disorders. It is practically certain that Ren's stunted growth and albinism both stem from the damage to his nerves done by the imposition of his Magic Crest. In addition, while these makeshift Circuits can store massive amounts of magical energy, they do not generate magical energy on their own, leaving only his natural Circuits which are extremely poor overall. If a normal Magus has around 25 MP, then Ren requires an entire day to generate just 5 MP, and he will not normally generate any more than that in reserve without a deliberate stockpiling effort... which will likely take multiple days to gather enough for just one or two more spells.

-

Thaumaturgical Foundation:
    Fixedstar Animusphere
    Metanovae Astrae

Being a family originally derived from the ancient stargazers of Chaldea, the Jikan Magic Crest is attuned to the Foundation created and cultivated by their parent clan. The Metanovae Astrae is based on the model of the constellations, initially allowing it to tap into the Mystery of the stars, but this had to be adjusted over the years to instead derive from asterisms instead - hence the name. It is a hybrid of various astrological systems from around the world and across history. Rather than relying on a specific record or catalogue, it instead draws from the human tendency to impose meaning upon the constellations.

In other words, it is a supersystem that exists on a level above mere astrology, and so it can operate in any part of the world by invoking mythopoesis. Because it draws on constellations rather than stars, the Mystery is not that of the physical stars themselves, but of the human information inscribed upon them. One could say that its function is to transform the "sphere of the fixed stars" into a "sphere of animus".

Primarily using the Twelve Great Constellations still housed by stargazers even in modern times as a system of elements, the Astrae provides a variety of effects depending on which stars are invoked, as each of the constellations and sometimes some individual stars hold a great degree of information within the collective human consciousness. To put it another way, the stars function as an index of complex concepts. Due to following the motions of the heavens rather than the earth, the Foundation itself has a Noble attribute.

Constellations, especially the Twelve Great Constellations, tend to have attributes attached to them from the Five Great Elements in western Magecraft. As such, it is rare that one is able to realise more than around a quarter of the potential in the Astrae. That said, because Ether is strongly associated with the stars, it is possible to make use of any asterism if one has that affinity, causing those aligned with Ether to be uniquely valuable to the Metanovae as a kind of false Average One in the context of this Magecraft.

-

Astral Logic
    The unique Thaumaturgical Attribute of the Metanovae, and the only one that they ever perfected. Using the information imposed on the sky by humans - the formulae that compose the Astrae - it is possible to impose that same information from the stars upon the world to enact nature interference. This is a Thaumaturgical Attribute specifically fashioned from (and only coherent in the context of) the Metanovae's unique Foundation: taking in an asterism as an element and interpreting it as a cluster of concepts, and these concepts can be then imposed upon the material world simply by expelling magical energy. As a Magecraft, it is not especially impressive by the standards of the clan's peers: its effects are ultimately little beyond the likes of high-level transmutation, not unlike more advanced uses of Reinforcement or Alteration. That said, the ability to sculpt something on a conceptual level should not be thought of as a trivial power by any stretch.

However, as impressive as it is, this is all for the most part irrespective of Ren's innate abilities. His natural magical energy production is extraordinarily low, and he struggles to complete more than one spell with his normal levels. Without help, he can typically only cast once per day.

There is an exception to this, however. Of note is the concept of Capricorn that is implanted into the nerves within Ren's eyes, powering itself with what he can only imagine is his own neurological activity. It could be called an artificial Pure Eye, letting Ren see and understand the composition of an object or event on sight. When used alongside Libra's Null Count (see ​High-Thaumaturgy: Spirit Genesis below), the two form an RPG-like identification spell which informs Ren what he is looking at and advises him on the theoretically best way to handle it - useful in battle, but feels somehow sarcastic in social settings. Simultaneously, it also allows for a variant of thought acceleration in accordance with the demand that what is seen is understood. Ren can use this to "expand the number of thoughts he can have in a given time", which also serves to dramatically increase his reaction time.

-

High-Thaumaturgy: Spirit Genesis
    The fruit of the generations of the Metanovae family's research and Ren's singular Magecraft. Its current form was first completed around 200 CE, and further refinements across various iterations have opened up its versatility to an astonishing degree. An extremely commendable High-Thaumaturgy that can be said to be the one and only great achievement belonging solely to the Metanovae when it comes to Magecraft. As a clan that contributed a large amount to the development of the Fifth Imaginary Factor, they have an in-depth understanding of its mechanisms that they have passed down.

Despite its status as a Greater Ritual, it is a process that is easy to understand. By forcing the casting of a spell to fail, an Ether Clump is produced. As Ether is the basis for a spiritual body, it is possible to then implant information into the Ether Clump using Astral Logic, shaping it into an artificial Ghost Liner by using spiritual evocation techniques while carefully layering the imposition of concepts in a manner similar to a curse. The concepts are not formative components, but rather directive information on the behaviour of the Ether Clump, and thus by changing the laws that govern it, it is possible to completely change its nature. This is without doubt their signature Magecraft, the expression of their craft that approaches the Denial of Nothingness.

The resulting artificial spirit can vary wildly in terms of its material form, ranging from shikigami-like beings to something more comparable to a summoned Heroic Spirit's manifestation of their Noble Phantasm. However, they are constructed strictly as machines. They do not have personalities, and while they may demonstrate some quirks from time to time, those quirks are always expressions of the creator rather than any kind of independent will. Despite appearances, they are not true familiars, and are something closer to automata.

Ren has made something of an advancement of his own, being able to vastly reduce the casting time simply by changing the construction sequence. Ordinarily, Ether Clumps would be shaped layer by layer, but by importing the asterism's information (already stored in his Magic Crest) into his magical energy whilst it is still inside his own body, it becomes possible for the Ether Clump to spontaneously take shape as an extremely crude spirit immediately - a casting technique he has nicknamed Null Count, as it reduces the spell size to that of a Single-Action and removes the need for an incantation. While these spirits break down extremely quickly, they are remarkably potent, allowing him to cast Spirit Genesis with a single asterism for instantaneous use.

┣━━━╋━━━┫

Art SourcesArt Sources
    Keystine
    Sofie
    Sigmund (Bright Arms)
    Musubi
    Oliphiaelé
    Nils
    Andri
    Gloria
    Kyriake
    Ren
    Last edited by Random; March 11th, 2023 at 12:25 AM.

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

Blog Entries
    goddamn these are amazing

really looking forward to whatever it is you're working on

- - - Updated - - -

i think that single post alone makes up for this thread's 5 months lack of activity
    Check out the officialTM Create-a-Servant discord server

Blindfold your eyes, so that the approaching night may strike no fear in you.
    Let it not burden your soul, nor numb your strides.

Blog Entries
    sheesh, only read the first two so far but you sell your product really well.
    someone needs to make a post/blog that explains how to do mages because it got me interested even more.

Create-a-Servant 4 soon.

These are really great Mage sheets! you've definitely inspired me to try and complete some of the Magus OCs that i've been working on. Quick question though, is Ren Jikan from your old fic The Mercurial Star? Is Fate/last call a rewrite of that fic?

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    I am praying that kamera releases his own mages or resurrects the create a mage contest eventually so that order can be restored to the universe.

Blog Entries
    First it must become more common practice to make mages from several people to inspire more to do that. That way a new meta can form and be the basis for newcomers of this field to build upon.
    Im like that
    I observe for now and learn what all the stuff even means

Create-a-Servant 4 soon.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    Kamera was/is actually planning to resurrect the create-a-mage contest but your contest took up the time slot. I said to him that that nobody uses the bi-monthly-rework-contest anyways and that he should just do it.

I could probably make the new contest myself. The only people who would miss out are the people who blocked me (so only fortuna, Lambda and whitefrenzy). The only problem is that I would probably forget to do it as I would have to wait till the monthly contest is over.

Blog Entries
    the point i am trying to make is that you first need to create demand before you ship a product
    reviving a contest just for the sake of it when nothing happened in the regular mage thread for months, years even if Wyvern didn't post, then what is the point?

Create-a-Servant 4 soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neokamui414 View Post
    Quick question though, is Ren Jikan from your old fic The Mercurial Star? Is Fate/last call a rewrite of that fic?
    Surprised you're even aware of that! Ren was/is indeed the titular protagonist of The Mercurial Star, which this is connected to in the sense that I decided to revisit it from a different starting point. Think of last call as being a reinterpretation of that world, if you like: I'm starting with familiar territory (Grail War) and then using that as an inciting incident to branch out into a broader, more original concept.

He's not one of the eight Masters in the Sixth Holy Grail War, but I've included him here anyway because he's something of a wildcard whose presence drastically reshapes the course of the story - hence the subtitle night, dawn, and the birth of stars.
    Last edited by Random; May 16th, 2022 at 06:16 PM.

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    Hey random. You should make more mages in general. Not just for your grail war fic. You could even create mini narratives around them.