Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Authors You'd Like To See In Bungou Stray Dogs

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Authors You'd Like To See In Bungou Stray Dogs

As the title implies, this thread is for famous authors you'd like to see depicted in the currently running manga/anime series Bungou Stray Dogs, which features 18/19th century literary authors in the modern day as supernatural detectives or rogues. I have a few ideas myself (some of the less fleshed out ones I put up in anime/manga discussion).

Herman Melville: Obviously given his most famous work he'd have some heavy captain and sailor motifs. Most straightforward choice would be a burly older man in a captain's outfit, but given the show's tendency to use younger versions of historical figures I'd say a youthful looking boy with a captain's outfit and cap would fit better. He'd have a stereotypical seafarer's manner of speaking (in other words, he'd talk like a pirate), using expressions like "Avast, ye landlubbers!" and "Keelhaul matey!".

Mixing a little bit of Captain Ahab into his personality, he'd be a Port Mafia hitman with a tendency to get psychotically obsessed with any enemies who've escaped him in the past. Probably Atsushi or another one of the Armed Detectives would fight and give him a nasty scar in battle and then afterwards he'd be totally fixated on trying to hunt them down and get revenge (likely mixed in with a bit of Foe Yay as well, given what kind of show this is).

His ability, 'Moby Dick', would allow him to summon a gigantic monstrous white whale, accompanied by a great deluge of water so it can move around freely. It would be extremely powerful (able to level entire city districts easily) but Melville himself would be unable to directly control the whale, though it'd be influenced by his psychological state (i.e attacking those he's angry at). That, combined with its high destructive potential would lead the Port Mafia to forbid him from ever activating his ability unless under direct orders from a Mafia official (he'd probably ignore this once he's sufficiently obsessed with catching a target, however). Yes, this is a bit inspired by the reference to Moby Dick as a 'superweapon' from Fate/Extra.

So, what do you think guys? I've got a bunch of other ideas as well which I might post up here sometime later if this gets attention...

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, knowing who does and who doesn't appear later on makes this kinda hard.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Hmm, knowing who does and who doesn't appear later on makes this kinda hard.
    Why? Just pick ones that haven't been included so far.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Why? Just pick ones that haven't been included so far.
    Because I don't want to spoil who is and isn't going to appear later on.

JP Friend Code
    aw hell she already exists
    http://bungostraydogs.wikia.com/wiki/Dame_Agatha_Christie

fuck

Blog Entries
    Another famous author who could easily be included is Mary Shelley, of Frankenstein. Not only could the series use some more female authors to round out the cast, but having come up with her magnum opus at 14 years old you wouldn't even have to stretch anything to include her as a cute young girl (which you know she would be anyway, that or a sexy mature woman). Her ability, 'Frankenstein's Monster', would apparently allow her to call upon and control a hulking, incredibly powerful 'corpse-puppet' that she refers to as Frankenstein.

I've actually thought of quite a few further details as to the true nature of her ability and her ties to that 'Frankenstein', but I'm keeping them secret since I've realized that I might have enough ideas to actually turn into a fanfic of some kind. (Involving an entirely OC cast in a similar setting to the canon series)

- - - Updated - - -

G.K Chesterton would also be a great (albeit unlikely) inclusion if only for his delightful personality, though I'm not sure what his power would be. Something based on 'The Man Who Was Thursday' which lets him tap into a different special power depending on the day of the week? Thinking about it, that'd be a good idea since not only would it draw from his literary works it would also perfectly suit his own wild, unpredictable personality.

He'd definitely be a heroic character, whereas a lot of the other ones I've come up with would probably end up as villains (Melville) or rivals-turned heroes (Shelley) in some cases.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    L. Ron Hubbard. Because, why not make fun of scientology?

Also serious answer, Edgar Rice Burroughs, to be a Mars Man on Earth, or allow for crazy teleportation/ remote body control.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [AYN RAND]

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    [AYN RAND]
    That's very kind of you, putting that name in brackets so [LEO] won't see.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [Shitposting Techique: Hidden Bracket Response]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Also serious answer, Edgar Rice Burroughs, to be a Mars Man on Earth, or allow for crazy teleportation/ remote body control.
    Burroughs could definitely fit in. His ability would be either based of Tarzan or John Carter (the Mars Man), given that they're his most famous works.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    [AYN RAND]
    Is it bad that I've actually put some serious thought into this in the past? Her ability would be called 'Atlas Shrugged' of course.

She'd also be a villain, working with the bad guys to bring about the collapse of society so her imagined hyper-capitalists can flourish.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    She'd also be a villain, working with the bad guys to bring about the collapse of society so her imagined hyper-capitalists can flourish.
    You're over thinking it, she'd be a villain because she's a foreigner.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    You're over thinking it, she'd be a villain because she's a foreigner.
    They're not mutually exclusive, you know. One would be the Doylistic reason she's a villain, whereas mine would be the goal that actually makes her a villain in the world of the story.

Blog Entries
    Lewis Carroll is another author I'd like to see show up. I imagine he'd be a silver-haired Bishonen with a monocle. Based on his nonsense poems and the generally surreal nature of Alice in Wonderland, he'd be an oddball who speaks in nonsense for fun and cracks bizarre jokes his teammates can't understand. He's also a (harmless) Lolicon. (Sorry, Carroll)

His power, Alice In Wonderland, would let him overwrite the surroundings with a fantastical 'Wonderland' that works by a logic only he can understand (so basically a Reality Marble). He'd also be able to overlay aspects of 'Wonderland' into reality like the Vorpal Sword or Jabberwocky.

I imagine he'd serve a similar role to Dazai from canon in that he'd be by far the most openly eccentric member of his team and be the butt of a lot of uncomfortable jokes (suicide in Dazai's case, Lolicon for my hypothetical Carroll). He'd also be secretly a top mathematician and be (comically) angry that his teammates think of him as 'that weirdo who speaks nonsense' instead of a serious mathematician like he is.

Blog Entries
    I'm not very creative but here goes:

Franz Kafka - Ability: "Metamorphosis"
    Basically I was thinking something like the Incredible Hulk, where Kafka has to prevent himself from getting emotional otherwise he risks turning into a "gigantic insect" just like Gregor Samsa in the story.
    Been looking for an excuse to use this pic.

Maurice Leblanc - Ability: "Gentleman Thief"
    Much like the Arsene Lupin of his books, Leblanc is able to use his ability to disguise himself perfectly as anyone as long as he knows what they look like.

Diana Wynne Jones - Ability: "Howl's Moving Castle"
    Able to summon a castle that moves around on its legs. Anyone who tries to force their way into it will get sent to another location entirely.

Blog Entries
    I actually already mentioned the Kafka one over in anime/manga discussion. The Leblanc and Wynne Jones ones are great, though. Relatively likely to appear too I'd say since both are quite well known in Japan (Lupin has several anime series after him and Moving Castle has a very famous Gibli movie after it).

Other ideas I thought of:

Charlotte Perkins Gilman: Noted feminist and author of the psychological horror story The Yellow Wallpaper. A girl with wildly long hair bound in a restrictive sensory-depriving straitjacket (ala how the woman from her story was confined to a single room), possibly complete with blindfold and noise-cancelling headphones depending on how far you want to go with it. Her ability, 'Yellow Wallpaper', allows her to twist abstract patterns into any shape she imagines them to be (mostly horrific shadowy female figures to attack her enemies). Mainly she uses this on the tangled curls in her hair but wallpaper or even blood splatters also serve as fitting mediums.

Since her ability is so powerful she'd be kept as a 'living weapon' by the bad guys, sort of like Kyouka from the canon series (though more extreme). She'd be constantly under strict management by her sinister handler, 'John' (her husband from the short story). Eventually she'd end up freed by the heroes and show her true self as an active, imaginative girl.

Hunter S. Thompson: A wild and hedonistic journalist with a heart of gold. Always gets far more deeply involved in his cases then he'd prefer. His ability, 'Fear And Loathing in Los Vegas', allows him to make the world around him obey the laws of his hallucinogenic trips. But it only works when he's on drugs (no problem, since he'll just take them before fighting).

Blog Entries
    Hmm, who else have I got on my bookshelf?

Alexandre Dumas - Ability: "The Three Musketeers"
    Dumas is able to split himself into three people at once, representing his Id/Ego/Superego. Useful for surveillance as well as guerrilla tactics. If only the three didn't bicker so much.

Yasutaka Tsutsui - Ability: "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time"
    Given a silver pocket watch by his lost lover, Tsutsui is able to turn back time. However, he can only do it once a day and spend no more then one hour in the past. Not only that but fate is incredibly difficult to change as Tsutsui found out after countless failed attempts to save his love. Truly a man who cannot let go of the past.

Isaac Asimov - Ability: "I, Robot"
    Okay, borrowing heavily the idea of the Servbots from Megaman Legends here. Asimov can summon 9 small robots to do his bidding. Childlike in both appearance and mind (limited AI), they can nevertheless operate independently from him allowing Asimov to kick back and sleep while they do all the housework.

Damn, I spent a lot more time thinking about these then I should've.

Blog Entries
    Oh and by the way Skull, I forgot to ask but, what manga did you get that cockroach monster image from? It's rather... impressive.

Blog Entries
    Oh and by the way Skull, I forgot to ask but, what manga did you get that cockroach monster image from? It's rather... impressive.
    "Biorg Trinity". Written by Ōtarō Maijō and drawn by Ogure Ito. A cool Sci-Fi manga, I discovered it while I was watching an advert for Jojolion funnily enough.

The basic story follows Fujii, a high school student who lives in a world where some people are touched by a rare "illness" called the Biorg Bug. One day Fujii catches the bug which makes holes in the shape of hearts on his hands.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    "Biorg Trinity". Written by Ōtarō Maijō and drawn by Ogure Ito. A cool Sci-Fi manga, I discovered it while I was watching an advert for Jojolion funnily enough.

The basic story follows Fujii, a high school student who lives in a world where some people are touched by a rare "illness" called the Biorg Bug. One day Fujii catches the bug which makes holes in the shape of hearts on his hands.
    So, the same guy who did Air Gear then? Sounds interesting. I might just check it out sometime. (Though I hardly read any manga)