Thread: Fate Anarchy Cosmoreactor issues

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Fate Anarchy Cosmoreactor issues

So, Kieran and myself have been working a lot on Fate Anarchy. I mean a lot. And some issues have come up involving the Cosmoreactor that I thought I'd post, asking the community about.

The Cosmoreactor is meant to work with sabers, so that seems to cut down a lot of what it can work with... but then you get to the question of "Must a saber use a sword to get the benefits" since MHX seems to use the stuff to power her Noble Phantasm at least to a point, MHXA DEFINITELY uses her Altereactor to power hers, and MHXX uses hers to power her power armor, and lance...

Therefore, would the Cosmoreactor work with any weapon that has a blade/sharp edge, or even lances? Or does it work with less potency for the lance, and does MHXX simply think that the power armor she's wearing is taking up most of the energy?

Would it work with axes? Sword/whips, like Astolfo Saber, or Ivy from Soul Calibur? Or perhaps something more like a urumui from India? Maybe even Monofilament Razor Wire out of Hellsing?

We've been going back and forth for a while today, and since we're not sure, we're going to you, the community. Any ideas on this, folks?
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

I write like Douglas Adams. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/696f37bd

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    I REALLY think this would have been better placed in the existing Grail Works Mission Dossier thread, since that one usually contains meta-discussion around the related works.
    Materials translations I look at say the Cosmoreactor "reacts to the plot" or acts like plot armor (in MHXX's material). MHXX's rank downgrade is attributed to her working in an organization, rather than not being a Saber, or not using a sword. I would be somewhat surprised if it actually had any special affinity with Sabers, the class, at all, or their weapon choices. At most, it might have a special association with Artorias specifically, as MHXA's Altereactor material notes that it uses Altrium, and Saberface hate is more relevant than specifically Sabers.

Best nerf: it causes Erik to get a cowlick.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    I REALLY think this would have been better placed in the existing Grail Works Mission Dossier thread, since that one usually contains meta-discussion around the related works.
    I must, again, accept some of the blame for this - I wasn't necessarily all that clear when I said, "That sounds like a 'General Discussion' thread question.'" I meant "Put it up in the TYPE-MOON General Discussion Area, with a title like 'So, what do know about the Cosmoreactor, and what do you think it can do?,'" rather than being this specific . . . But I took it too much as being implied, I guess. Or forgot to account for his insomnia issues again - that's happened before, too.

Thank you for responding, just the same.

Materials translations I look at say the Cosmoreactor "reacts to the plot" or acts like plot armor (in MHXX's material). MHXX's rank downgrade is attributed to her working in an organization, rather than not being a Saber, or not using a sword.
    Which is more than I knew, at least. Again, thank you.

I would be somewhat surprised if it actually had any special affinity with Sabers, the class, at all, or their weapon choices. At most, it might have a special association with Artorias specifically, as MHXA's Altereactor material notes that it uses Altrium, and Saberface hate is more relevant than specifically Sabers.
    Yeah - the Artorium/Alternium thing regarding both reactors has been vexing, on more than one occasion . . .

. . . I am totally in favour of this - and his going blonde.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Translation citations
    https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/..._profile_from/
    Cosmo Reactor: A
    A reactor that’s cosmic, it’s allowed only to the shining Saber.
    The reactor reacts to many things. Like the plot, for example.
    https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...=1#post2907358
    Altereactor A: By means of the rare element Alternium, energy of various things is transformed into mana. Mainly sugar.
    https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...=1#post3041281
    Cosmo Reactor: B
    The protection of the great Universe (plot armor[2]) that draws towards herself victory’s principle of causality, but it has been ranked-down for being in the position of serving an organization.
    [2]: 主人公補正. Literally “protagonist modifiers”, but that sounds awkward.
    Might be able to get a mod to merge this into the existing thread, I assume we don't have the ability to do that sort of thing. Not sure if they do that much in this forum.

Ohhh, I see, you were trying to have it be an actually general discussion, rather than specific to your story. Right, that makes more sense about why it would be a separate thread. Otherwise it really seems like thread sprawl.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; March 31st, 2020 at 07:04 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Materials translations I look at say the Cosmoreactor "reacts to the plot" or acts like plot armor (in MHXX's material). MHXX's rank downgrade is attributed to her working in an organization, rather than not being a Saber, or not using a sword. I would be somewhat surprised if it actually had any special affinity with Sabers, the class, at all, or their weapon choices. At most, it might have a special association with Artorias specifically, as MHXA's Altereactor material notes that it uses Altrium, and Saberface hate is more relevant than specifically Sabers.

That's honestly good to know. I didn't put it in there mostly because I was curious about the situation as a whole, not just in regards to Fate Anarchy.

And the cowlick line made me get 3 hours of sleep. Worth waking back up, laughing my ass off, while sleepily browsing the thread on my phone. So much worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    I must, again, accept some of the blame for this - I wasn't necessarily all that clear when I said, "That sounds like a 'General Discussion' thread question.'" I meant "Put it up in the TYPE-MOON General Discussion Area, with a title like 'So, what do know about the Cosmoreactor, and what do you think it can do?,'" rather than being this specific . . . But I took it too much as being implied, I guess. Or forgot to account for his insomnia issues again - that's happened before, too.

Thank you for responding, just the same.

Which is more than I knew, at least. Again, thank you.

Yeah - the Artorium/Alternium thing regarding both reactors has been vexing, on more than one occasion . . .

. . . I am totally in favour of this - and his going blonde.

Yeah, well, the insomnia is real some days. It's fine, though.

And he's already a silvery blonde, so it's not that far off... considering he wound up looking like FF6's Setzer when he first ascended to godhood?

Translation citations
    https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/..._profile_from/

https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...=1#post2907358

https://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthrea...=1#post3041281

Might be able to get a mod to merge this into the existing thread, I assume we don't have the ability to do that sort of thing. Not sure if they do that much in this forum.

Ohhh, I see, you were trying to have it be an actually general discussion, rather than specific to your story. Right, that makes more sense about why it would be a separate thread. Otherwise it really seems like thread sprawl.

That plot armor, huh? So, if I'm reading this right, it grows stronger the more dire straights the user is in, perhaps...? Oh, that opens up so many possibilities...

And yeah, it was meant to actually be general discussion about the cosmoreactor as a whole, rather than in depth grail works, as I said above.
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RanmaBushiko View Post
    That plot armor, huh? So, if I'm reading this right, it grows stronger the more dire straights the user is in, perhaps...? Oh, that opens up so many possibilities...
    Kind of like The Tick's Drama Power from the titular comic series then, huh...

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post

Perhaps... Considering Kieran and I only thought it worked with swords, power armor, and spaceships, as well as spears/lances/whatever Twin Rhongomyniad IS, since it looks like the bastard child of a spear and a lance... that makes it a little easier to cope with.

Not less confusing, but if it's set up so the worse things are for the protagonist, the stronger they'll be... hmm. So many possibilities just opened up with this.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Which, oddly enough, I have a pen-and-paper RPG equivalent for . . . And nice to hear from you, thank you for contributing!

Quote Originally Posted by RanmaBushiko View Post
    Perhaps... Considering Kieran and I only thought it worked with swords, power armor, and spaceships, as well as spears/lances/whatever Twin Rhongomyniad IS, since it looks like the bastard child of a spear and a lance... that makes it a little easier to cope with.

Not less confusing, but if it's set up so the worse things are for the protagonist, the stronger they'll be... hmm. So many possibilities just opened up with this.
    For mocking, if nothing else. Because let's be honest: if there was a character less suited for that kind of thing than Erik, I've never heard of him.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette