Page 493 of 546 FirstFirst ... 393443483488491492493494495498503543 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,860 of 10910

Thread: Fate/Grand Order Mats

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Agree completely, being canon =/= being good. What's especially frustrating is that we had longer profiles before for previous works which were better. Like sure, Apocrypha isn't the best showcase for Servant design but it still had actual descriptions and explanations. It's like the previous work just got forgotten as a reference when writing FGO mats.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    I'd say that whether they're an exception or whether they could be included in a HGW or anything in the first place doesn't matter, because the idea should be for the mats to explain how this stuff works in-universe and in-story. If I were to ask the writer "how would this skill work in story" they obviously wouldn't just say "it'd give them crit stars bro" (well, Nasu would, but). Same thing if they had to include these characters in an anime or other adaptation, and now suddenly the skills have to actually do something (insofar as skills are ever relevant to the storytelling). Like was already said, if we wanted to know the gameplay effect we can just look at the game. Putting gameplay effects into mats that you PAY for (well, most people in the fandom probably don't pay for mats so I guess it's moot in that sense) is very much just the other side of the lazy coin that is putting stuff like "Blessing of the sun god: Ozymandias has the blessing of the sun god". It's shit and I don't see why anyone would ever defend this, whether it's an exception of a summon or not.
    I don't think anyone is saying that it's okay for them to skimp on Servant Profiles just because they're only canon to FGO. That would just be stupid.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    Agree completely, being canon =/= being good. What's especially frustrating is that we had longer profiles before for previous works which were better. Like sure, Apocrypha isn't the best showcase for Servant design but it still had actual descriptions and explanations. It's like the previous work just got forgotten as a reference when writing FGO mats.
    What I imagine is the root cause behind this is that some writers just write servants as, you know, characters and what their part in the (eventual) story will be. Naturally, those writers likely also won't care much about using servant skills and stuff in story when writing, so whatever skills they do have are probably applied as some sort of afterthought because "it's a thing servants have, at the end of the day", hence the shit descriptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    I mean considering Xiang Yu/Yu Meiren the records are probably already updated on the Throne. Sure, some FGO Servants are special exceptions but I see no reason to jump straight into 'not canon' just because people can't write good profiles in materials anymore.
    Dude, are you trolling or what?
    Yes, the Throne exists outside of time and space, but if there are no records of a servant in the world where the HGW take place, then he will not be summoned, this is how the RULES work!
    You can't summon Lostbelt Xian Yu because he's from bloody Lostbelt! In normal HGW can be summon Pan-Human History Xian Yu. Guda can summon lostbelt version throught his connection and because he is one of the only ones to remember this version of Xian Yu. This was mentioned in game!
    Also swimsuit servants it's gacha bullshit - they cute and sexy, but it's fanservice, not a lore vise (a little bit). You can pick any gacha game and see they have the same content - Summer, Halloween, Christmas.
    So, please, don't say some bullshit what they can be summoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that it's okay for them to skimp on Servant Profiles just because they're only canon to FGO. That would just be stupid.
    of course, it's sad.

Like I said, none of this is a good excuse for having shit descriptions in mats.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lesik View Post
    Dude, are you trolling or what?
    Yes, the Throne exists outside of time and space, but if there are no records of a servant in the world where the HGW take place, then he will not be summoned, this is how the RULES work!
    You can't summon Lostbelt Xian Yu because he's from bloody Lostbelt! In normal HGW can be summon Pan-Human History Xian Yu. Guda can summon lostbelt version throught his connection and because he is one of the only ones to remember this version of Xian Yu. This was mentioned in game!
    Also swimsuit servants it's gacha bullshit - they cute and sexy, but it's fanservice, not a lore vise (a little bit). You can pick any gacha game and see they have the same content - Summer, Halloween, Christmas.
    So, please, don't say some bullshit what they can be summoned.

of course, it's sad.
    First of all we summon PHH Xiang Yu in his LB body thanks to Meiren's shenanigans with the Throne, so you clearly didn't read the story either. Secondly, you're the only one crying out about this when no one else brought it up just to distract from your original 'not canon' point, which I pointed out wasn't true. Either way, don't confuse your complaints about canonicity with complaints about profile quality, which are separate things all together.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FGOGuide/co...e_grand_order/

Comun - Paris.
    Padoru - Mori.
    Smoof - Gareth.
    Shiki - Corday, Swimsuit Hokusai, Ruler Artoria and Swimsuit Okita.

By volume:
    Vol 9: 7

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Amazigh's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can't wait to see Gareth Translated. <3

Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    I'd say that whether they're an exception or whether they could be included in a HGW or anything in the first place doesn't matter, because the idea should be for the mats to explain how this stuff works in-universe and in-story. If I were to ask the writer "how would this skill work in story" they obviously wouldn't just say "it'd give them crit stars bro" (well, Nasu would, but). Same thing if they had to include these characters in an anime or other adaptation, and now suddenly the skills have to actually do something (insofar as skills are ever relevant to the storytelling). Like was already said, if we wanted to know the gameplay effect we can just look at the game. Putting gameplay effects into mats that you PAY for (well, most people in the fandom probably don't pay for mats so I guess it's moot in that sense) is very much just the other side of the lazy coin that is putting stuff like "Blessing of the sun god: Ozymandias has the blessing of the sun god". It's shit and I don't see why anyone would ever defend this, whether it's an exception of a summon or not.
    Does paying for profile translations count?

my issue is that its not exactly hard to come up with a skill description within like a minute or two, especially as usually you have to know the history/myth SOMEWHAT to write it.

Its peak hackery considering some of the fan profiles I've soon

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Does paying for profile translations count?
    This is another discussion entirely but insofar as it counts in relation to the context I was talking about, I'd say no. You paying some dude on the internet a fiver to translate something published in a Japanese "book" does not add to the value/revenue of said "book", and so it has no bearing on the facet of "we pay for this therefore it should have real effort put into it".

my issue is that its not exactly hard to come up with a skill description within like a minute or two, especially as usually you have to know the history/myth SOMEWHAT to write it.

Its peak hackery considering some of the fan profiles I've soon
    And yeah, this has been the whole discussion so I think pretty much everyone agrees. However, I'd say comparing it to fan profiles isn't always the most fair. Sure, you mention cases of coming up with some skills in a couple of minutes, but at the end of the day fans who write these profiles work under entirely different conditions (no deadlines, no general pressure, no real limitations on what they can do or not etc), and I'd argue that when you spend your time writing profile after profile all the time it becomes even more important to differentiate yourself and think outside the box so as to not have everything be samey (even though this is probably cause for some of the really dumb skills we have). Of course, I'm not saying they're excused because of that, I still think a lot of the time they perform below reasonable expectation for a lot of these. What I am saying though is that it's similar to when fans put out some video they spent all their time animating and it's just much better than whatever the official thing was. The fan just doesn't have the same restraints on them and can do whatever they want, whenever they want, however they want.

The only proper comparison imo is one between mats writers, because we DO have good skills in mats, so it becomes even more obvious that some of the writers are simply lazy, or as the kids say, hacks.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no

So how's it going with the profiles?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    So how's it going with the profiles?
    I'm guessing either not good or life's weighing on people.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    where's my Gareth tho
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping for Gareth, Corday, and Mori Nagayoshi to be translated soon.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Paris.

It's amazing how Nero Bride's mats had all Skills bundled into one and the personality section omitted due to being an alt, and Paris's mats somehow still feel shorter.

At the end of 2017, Kususaga Rin published a Rama/Sita doujin that attracted a small bit of discourse in the Japanese fandom over its kinky portrayal of Sita peeing on Rama.
    Times like this I really wish my curiosity wasn't what it is.

As for Paris himself, whew, that profile feels about as short as the actual in-game one. I don't remember how much of this is repeated here, but it does appear they're going for the "Helen was stuck in a loveless marriage" angle. At least there's no talk of Menelaus being abusive, I guess.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Blog Entries
    Only one entry in Related character section? That's worse than I thought.

US Friend Code
    Besides Siegfried and Achilles are there any other existing Servants who have major weak spots that Paris's NP could work on?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    ...Rama, you degenerate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Besides Siegfried and Achilles are there any other existing Servants who have major weak spots that Paris's NP could work on?
    I think Duryodhana is invincible except for a spot in his thighs.

Also would Baldr count? It's a thing rather than a spot so I don't think so.