Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast

Thread: Fate/Strange Fake

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by nakulas View Post
    Sure did, in the "World of Fate" section, in between Extra and Kaleid Liner.

I'd like to ask a favor - if any of you folks have mobile readers that can view PDFs (e.g. e-readers like the Nook/Kindle/etc; tablets like the iPad or one of its Android counterparts; suitably modern smartphones, too), could you try viewing the draft version of the novel on your mobile device and tell me if it looks fine? In particular, I'm worried about how Japanese text and the translation overlays will render on those devices. Of course, I'd be interested to know about any other aesthetic issues (text too small to read; images don't load; etc.). On my Galaxy S3, in Ebookdroid, everything seems to works fine besides external hyperlinks (e.g. to my blog; to this thread; etc.), but the Galaxy S3 is one of the higher-powered / more modern devices out there, so I wouldn't be surprised if lower-end / older devices have some issues with it.
    I downloaded the PDF and tried it out on with several different PDF readers on my Nook Color running CM7.

Apps that rendered pages on a per-page basis like Perfect Viewer were pretty much flawless, even with a low spec machine. Apps like Adobe's official reader that render the PDF as a whole took a while to display the later pages properly, presumably due to the large filesize and low RAM on the Nook Color (only 512 MB). The two-page art spread near the beginning also made the software default to a double-length width that required me to manually zoom in for a proper size on most text files, although that wasn't a big deal. The overlays worked fine on every PDF I tried out.

I guess you could make an image-free version with smaller fize for low end devices if you really want, but it doesn't feel important to me, since it's only an issue with specific rendering engines.

That aside, good job on the translation work. A bunch of people have said this already, but your work pace was truly amazing, while your prose is leagues ahead of Japanese->Chinese->English messes like the Fate/Zero translation, which means it's well above average by light novel translation standards.

I downloaded the PDF and tried it out on with several different PDF readers on my Nook Color running CM7.

Apps that rendered pages on a per-page basis like Perfect Viewer were pretty much flawless, even with a low spec machine. Apps like Adobe's official reader that render the PDF as a whole took a while to display the later pages properly, presumably due to the large filesize and low RAM on the Nook Color (only 512 MB). The two-page art spread near the beginning also made the software default to a double-length width that required me to manually zoom in for a proper size on most text files, although that wasn't a big deal. The overlays worked fine on every PDF I tried out.
    Great, thanks!

I guess you could make an image-free version with smaller fize for low end devices if you really want, but it doesn't feel important to me, since it's only an issue with specific rendering engines.
    Great idea! I've modified my build procedure to also generate a reduced image-free version, replacing the images with short descriptions (which brings the filesize down to 429 KB). This also solves the problem with the double-page spread causing zoom issues (since the spread is replaced by a normal size page). Bonus feature: since I'm using pdf overlays instead of hard-translating the images, the low-end version retains all the translation overlays (though, granted, they're kind of out of place without their underlying images). You can check it out here if you'd like: (****************************download/f6itbbac21jm6os/). If you or anyone else has any suggested optimizations to make this more readable on low-end devices, I'm all ears.

Either way, you have my thanks and my admiration, nakulas. This was a huge undertaking, and you pulled it all off wonderfully. We're lucky to have your dedication and your hard work.
    That aside, good job on the translation work. A bunch of people have said this already, but your work pace was truly amazing, while your prose is leagues ahead of Japanese->Chinese->English messes like the Fate/Zero translation, which means it's well above average by light novel translation standards.
    Thanks! Honestly, what really got me to get off my ass and start translating things was the sorry state of light novel translations.* Like, I really do think Baka-Tsuki could be a force for good, but the way things are now, with translators often playing a game of telephone to get content from Japanese to English, and editors editing English prose without being native-level fluent (or even close) in English, I can't say I'm a huge fan. (And, I mean honestly - are people really that desperate for their light novels that they're willing to suffer a transition through Chinese _on top of_ what's already lost in Jap->Eng translation?)

*I was going to say "the sorry state of light novel translations these days", but I guess there was never really a golden age of light novel translations to begin with, what with the light novel boom being a relatively recent phenomenon (~10 years or so).

Blog Entries
    Cool, thanks.

How do I into names
    (fixed, oops)

Another thing: I stopped by the Type-Moon wikia and noticed that there is apparently a story (in F/HA?) about a person called "A", who (the wiki claims) shares some traits with the Player character in F/sf. The Nasu foreword to F/sf actually describes you (i.e. the player) as a person named "A". I imagine these things are related somehow and should inform my translation of things about the Player. That said, could somebody point me to the part of F/HA that has this story? I would search the entrans repository myself, but I don't have any idea how F/HA is structured, and searching for the letter "A" is not exactly helpful.
    It's the very first thing you see when you start playing F/HA. Pretty much all of the restrictions they list out for the player character are references to the story. Like the fear of elevators.

I tracked down the "A" story from F/HA (it's in 真・冒頭-08.ks.po). To summarize for the benefit of others: "A" was a real person living in Shin-to (Fuyuki), who lived in an apartment next door to a family of three (two parents, one 3-year-old daughter). During the time they spent as neighbors, "A" often ran into the daughter, who would ask him to help her use the elevator. One day, the mother went postal and stabbed the father and then herself, and presumably also their daughter; however, the daughter's corpse was never found. "A" began seeing ghostly visions of the daughter, stained in blood, asking him to help her use the elevator. This drives "A" mad. "A" himself goes missing later; one of the characters claims that "A"'s elder brother claims that "A" left on a journey of self-discovery.

This story accounts for the first three rules that the Player is bound by (no buildings with elevators; bloodstained girl; once lived in Fuyuki), and provisionally could be said to account for the fourth rule (came to America fleeing "something"). The story does not account for anything else that is described in the epilogue (which is fine), and more irritatingly, does not explain the reference to 14番地 in the Nasu foreword (in fact, neither that string nor any derivative thereof seems to appear anywhere in F/HA).

All things considered, I think this was a clever tie-in to an existing piece of Nasuverse mythology, but that there isn't much more to read into this. (Unless "A" appears somewhere else in greater detail, but I assume that isn't the case.)

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh god I can't believe I never made this connection.

ユカイツーカイマキデラさんはマキデララ ンドのプリン セスだぜ!? Ragnar's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This looks great! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos
    1) Everything leads to Sakura.
    2) Nothing stays on topic. See #1.
    3) People will spend 30 pages debating the number of hairs on Shirou's head. See #2.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    So, a question, the first draft of the complete version is out?

Yes: (****************************download/st4kmiogvv54711/), as linked above. There is no more content to be added, though I will be making revisions and edits (mostly minor) to this before releasing a final version sometime in July.

Damn. I haven't visited this forum in awhile. Can't believe the translation is basically finished. Thank you very much, man.
    Last edited by AMA-GI; July 3rd, 2013 at 12:15 PM.

And we're done.

Stop by my blog (http://nakulas.blogspot.com/2013/07/...ange-fake.html) to see the release post and download the final version of F/sf. Essentially all the revisions since the last version I posted on here have been rewordings, reformattings, and minor things of that ilk (if you're _really_ interested in knowing what changed, I started version-controlling my files sometime after the last version I posted on here, so some of the latest changes can be found on my Bitbucket page [http://bitbucket.org/nakulas]). The complete collection doesn't contain too much that you haven't already seen, but you might find it interesting nonetheless.

It's been fun translating this, folks. If you guys ever want some Nasu stuff translated, drop me a line and I'll give it a look-see.

Screw Nasu.

Translate the new Prototype novel.

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    You just wasted a perfectly good chance to have a quick japanese to english DDD translation?! *tears own eyes off*
    But I want more Fate. Besides, I'm pretty sure the majority here want either a CCC or Prototype translation.
    Last edited by Crown; July 26th, 2013 at 04:10 AM.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You just wasted a perfectly good chance to have a quick japanese to english DDD translation?! *tears own eyes off*
    don't quote me on this

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    And we're done.
    Thanks you!!

It's been fun translating this, folks. If you guys ever want some Nasu stuff translated, drop me a line and I'll give it a look-see.
    DDD?

DDD.

Can I say DDD? I will say DDD as well. Prototype can wait until it actually comes out.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Thank you very much!
    Reading with the speed of light.

Re: DDD - I've actually wanted to take a look that at some point, but I could never find raws on the internet. If anybody can point me to the raws, I'll take a look at it (though, to be honest with you, translating it seems unlikely since Nasu writing is not that much fun to translate imo).

Re: Prototype - This looks interesting; I might start on this after I've made some more progress on some of my other projects. Any idea when the full novel is expected out?

Novel is monthly and currently being published in a magazine. I'll notify you of its status if you want.

DDD raws are easy to find with a quick google search. But yeah, translating DDD isn't exactly fun or easy.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    @All
    It looks like Fate/Strange Fake resources of translations will move to DDD? If so, it is a good news for English natives.
    Miss Jarman said viciously: 'You must reallywant your money.'
    'No.' Harvey shook his head wearily. 'It's not that, honey. He wants to be Caneton. And nobody ever beat Caneton. Yet.'
    I said quickly: 'Bring the car through in fifteen minutes. Unless you hear shooting. Then you can decide for yourself.'
    I walked away down the bank to the right, looking for the entrance to the communication trench. I found it and turned in.
    -----
     ミス・ジャーマンが悪意に満ちた声で言った。「お金のためならどんなことでもするのね」
    「ちがう」 ハーヴェイが疲れたように首をふった。「そうじゃあないんだよ。カントンでありたいのさ。敗れ ることを知らないカントンなんだ。今まではね」
     私は口をはさんだ。「十五分たったら車をもってきてくれ。銃声を聞かなければだ。銃声が聞こえたら、自分 で判断しろ」
     私は土手に沿って右へ歩きながら塹壕への入口を探した。見つけて中に入った。

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Quote Originally Posted by Ossan99 View Post
    @All
    It looks like Fate/Strange Fake resources of translations will move to DDD? If so, it is a good news for English natives.
    Ossan, 83% percent of the time, people are kidding over here.