Page 352 of 388 FirstFirst ... 252302342347350351352353354357362 ... LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,040 of 7759

Thread: Things that annoy you in TM

Blog Entries
    Depends on how much you view the Ragnarok angle as valid. Tragic heroes aside and their possible roles in that aside, probably not.

Well, unless you're counting the story itself as coming out of it, which, while meta, could also count.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Of all the motherfucking pantheons to turn into mechs, why the fuck would they pick the greeks? Apart from maybe Odin & company, the Greeks were the most human, the most ridiculous, the most petty and vengeful and arseholish and all that potential is just tossed in the garbage in favour of a fucking SMT/SRW/Seiya/whatthefuckever reference.
    I don't quite follow. The Greek Gods in mainline Nasuverse are more or less the same as depicted in the myths. They used to be more detached and logical but that was before the Greek Mythic Age even begun properly. As for the idea of magitek itself, it probably comes from the image of Atlantis as a highly-developed civilization of the distant past.

How much potential have they pissed away in favour of a shitty joke or bad reference?
    I am not going to argue about every artistic decision they made.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I mean, the Greeks themselves had plenty of "high tech" in their Myths (thanks Hephaestus and Daedalus) and a fetish for armor. And then you have the more recent cultural references, like, say, Clash of the Titan's mechanical owl and stuff.
    Last edited by Zork Knight; April 10th, 2020 at 07:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wings of wax and wood are high tech?

That aside, I do find it a bit weird that the Greek Heroes, and even deities, up to this point have been consistently low-tech in appearance, with a much more supernatural flavor, and then suddenly mecha.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelveseal View Post
    Flight should be pretty high-tech in the late 2nd millenium BC.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

That aside, I do find it a bit weird that the Greek Heroes, and even deities, up to this point have been consistently low-tech in appearance, with a much more supernatural flavor, and then suddenly mecha.
    That's the difference between PHH Greeks (where mecha aspects were left behind after Sefar kicked their asses and they took on more humanoid forms, with some mecha aspoects still around) and LB Greeks (where the gods became a MegaZord to beat Sefar and then kept upgrading their bodies with technology and magic).

Or in other words, the difference between what actually happened (real history) and what is basically made up fanfiction from the prompt that goes "What if the Greek Gods fused bodies to beat Sefar?".

Blog Entries
    Does not make it any less strange. Also, are we now to assume that all forms of artificial flight are magitek now? Or just regular tech, ofc.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning

JP Friend Code
    I mean, I don't remember any mentions of Icarus' wings being blessed by some deity. Daedalus was just that good of a craftsman.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, there's that. I'm just saying that it seems like a very bizarre direction to go with this. I'm not really remembering anything high-tech looking coming out of Asterios's Labyrinth, either.

It's really jarring, and I'm not a fan. It falls well within the realm of things that annoy me about TM.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Odin dicked around with Sigmund for whatever reason
    Ra once sent Sekhmet to massacre humanity
    According to wikipedia the Mesopotamian pantheon created humanity "to bear the burdens of life so the gods could be at leisure"
    For whatever reason the Aztec deities could not go without human sacrifices
    Rewarding devotion is like, the standard for Religion, isn't it?
    I don't get your point. None of that is an argument against anything I've said.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastedspider View Post
    I don't quite follow. The Greek Gods in mainline Nasuverse are more or less the same as depicted in the myths. They used to be more detached and logical but that was before the Greek Mythic Age even begun properly. As for the idea of magitek itself, it probably comes from the image of Atlantis as a highly-developed civilization of the distant past.
    Again, I don't care about the magitech. We've had magitech from the start of Chaldea, it's not a surprise. What is an unpleasant surprise is the gods are magitech, instead of just using it for a new golden age for Olympus & Greece or whatever, that this hasn't been shown in all the greek stuff we've seen so far, and that the whole thing is a reference to some other series.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    I don't get your point. None of that is an argument against anything I've said.
    I'm not saying the Greek Gods weren't pricks, I'm saying Gods from all ancient pantheons were prone to bouts of general dickishness and "humanity". No surprise humans would model their deities after themselves.

Blog Entries
    Was there ever any pantheon of fully enlightened superior beings free of human faults?
    Reddit

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Does not make it any less strange. Also, are we now to assume that all forms of artificial flight are magitek now? Or just regular tech, ofc.
    I mean the Vimana is magitech, while Ishtar can fly with her bow. So there's clearly some magic involved, even if it's not related to the Greeks.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Depends on what you mean with "up to this point". Artemis and Hector have had mechanical parts since the release of FGO, even if no one noticed it on Hector until his animation update.
    And Mech Olympians aren't the problem that ruining Greek aesthetic in Servants, it's Lostbelts and the unchecked freedom they give to artists that design Servants. Look at recent Greek Servants: Orion is a regular dude, Paris only has the mechanical NP, Apolo is a "regular" animal, Dioscuri are also totally normal.
    I guarantee you that Odysseus would have none of the mech shit if it wasn't for his Lostbelt self. They literally just recycled the design, and because that's how FGO works, now that's the Odysseus of Fate.
    But there's no way to blame just the Lostbelt when we have Asclepius with his techmagic staff and modern clothes. The other issue is that there's no standards whatsoever for FGO designs, the artists can do basically anything they want and it'll get accepted, regardless of whether the design clashes with closely related characters. Heck, they don't even care about the quality of the work delivered most of the time.

I'm not saying the Greek Gods weren't pricks, I'm saying Gods from all ancient pantheons were prone to bouts of general dickishness and "humanity". No surprise humans would model their deities after themselves.
    The difference here being that other pantheons only had the occasional bit of dickishness, with the Greeks it was all dickishness, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasu
    I don't care if it doesn't make sense. I don't have any intent of making it make sense.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Did any good come out of the Volsung cycle?
    Sigurd Fáfnisbane, greatest hero of the Norsemen.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Sigmund *had a choice* from the very beginning. He could have just not drawn Gram out of Barnstokkr.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative Ice View Post
    The difference here being that other pantheons only had the occasional bit of dickishness, with the Greeks it was all dickishness, all the time.
    It really wasn't.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Sigurd Fáfnisbane, greatest hero of the Norsemen.
    His end was not the greatest.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Yeah, very few Norse heroes met good ends.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, a good end would probably be a bad end to them because it might make them ineligible for Valhalla.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Yeah, very few Norse heroes met good ends.
    FTFY