Page 382 of 388 FirstFirst ... 282332372377380381382383384387 ... LastLast
Results 7,621 to 7,640 of 7759

Thread: Things that annoy you in TM

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Huralok View Post
    This. A thousand times this. You’ve summed up my biggest issue with Fate here.
    Essentially they keep on locking a character into a certain familiar role as [insert specific Servant] instead of using the myths to show case all of the mythological/historical figure?

Like say alwwys showing Heracles as a Berserker instead of showing him in all, for example?

Essentially the Class Container ideas are way too limiting?

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    If you're going to say
    'Well nerds will eat up anything'
    'Well TM is too big to fail so they can put out anything'
    'looking for meaning in TM of 2020 is a folly just enjoy the pretty pictures'
    Then that's awfully nihilist of you.
    But accurate.

Reality is just nihilistic sometimes. It happens. Cause/effect relationships don't care about what is 'nihilistic' or not in mankind's view.

Although I still want to believe fandom will have a tolerance breaking point eventually. It'll probably be more of a fatigue/apathy one rather than any active resentment towards wht the franchise has been turned into though.
    Last edited by OverMaster; November 25th, 2020 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Essentially they keep on locking a character into a certain familiar role as [insert specific Servant] instead of using the myths to show case all of the mythological/historical figure?

Like say alwwys showing Heracles as a Berserker instead of showing him in all, for example?

Essentially the Class Container ideas are way too limiting?
    I would say its not class containers but its the writers themselves, its why we also bitch bout van gogh or stupid variants as we know we will never see the OG one.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    But accurate.

Reality is just nihilistic sometimes. It happens. Cause/effect relationships don't care about what is 'nihilistic' or not in mankind's view.

Although I still want to believe fandom will have a tolerance breaking point eventually. It'll probably be more of a fatigue/apathy one rather than any active resentment towards wht the franchise has been turned into though.
    Kind of makes me wonder when Fate turned from something more from FSN into what it is today.

It makes one wonder if people would rather have a plain, but more accurate Servant depiction vs whatever crazy idea that happens to be floating around the office at the time to jazz up said boring Servant variant.

Blog Entries
    i''d have just plain old pizza than shitfruit jizzapple pizza pls

Kind of makes me wonder when Fate turned from something more from FSN into what it is today.
    I've cynically thought that nasu has always been like this, its just his habits got worse and/or he isnt being restrained.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with inaccurate "crazy idea" Servants. Two of the most well-developed and popular Servants from FSN were "King Arthur was secretly a girl" and "literally someone's OC". The difference with a lot of the new Servants these days is that they don't have an entire route of a lengthy VN devoted to their characterization and development. They have some brief dialogue in one chapter of a mobile game and a couple of pages in a material book. Maybe if they're lucky they also get an interlude in said mobile game with some more brief dialogue to round them out a little.

Even if a Servant has the potential to be complex and interesting, they're never going to reach that potential if the medium they appear in doesn't allow for it.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    I miss the days when "but secretly a girl" was the crazy idea

Blog Entries
    i miss the days when people can differentiate "original interesting ideas" from "crazy retarded ideas"

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    What would be an example of the former?

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    you'd think Tsukihime and FSN were not crazy retarded ideas created by a weeb.

I'm here for the crazy retarded ideas anyway.
    Because you are too young. Or too stupid. Or both.

Blog Entries
    the former often can be considered the latter, but not all the latter can be considered the former

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony246 View Post
    It makes one wonder if people would rather have a plain, but more accurate Servant depiction vs whatever crazy idea that happens to be floating around the office at the time to jazz up said boring Servant variant.
    Normally one doesn't achieve world fame lasting centuries by being 'plain', 'boring' and ordinary, so this is a false dychotomy.

There are plenty of ways to portray historic and legendary figures as quirky larger than life figures while still being true to their spirits, rather than combining them into entities that are nor fish nor fowl, or turning them into weird contrived variants.

Most famous people already were oddballs in one fashion or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamerad View Post
    the former often can be considered the latter, but not all the latter can be considered the former
    You just said "often A is B, but often B is A".
    Last edited by Herod; November 26th, 2020 at 11:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    ? wear your glasses and read it again.

I'm saying you can often find valuable gems among rocks, but not all rocks are gems, sometimes they stay worthless rocks. People should learn to distinguish the two.

I think, depending on what they do with him, it may be better this way. I do want to see Archer Heracles, but not if that means him in a Speedo or bunnysuit, or an alternate history version of him, or him combined with somebody else, or any other nonsense that has been monkey's pawed into existence for other Servants.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
    I think, depending on what they do with him, it may be better this way. I do want to see Archer Heracles, but not if that means him in a Speedo or bunnysuit, or an alternate history version of him, or him combined with somebody else, or any other nonsense that has been monkey's pawed into existence for other Servants.
    This exactly.

If we had to have edgeturd Alceides instead of actual Herc, for example, I'd rather he just never show up at all. TM's never been shy about twisting the legend, but they always do give us a hint as to what the original might have been like when they do, and stuff like Not Really Van Gogh But With Van Gogh's Name is honestly a letdown. Let her pretend to be Van Gogh, but then EoR reveal her name as whoever she is, don't just go "lol, enjoy, the closest you'll ever see to van gogh/herc is this thing that is not van gogh/herc in any way".
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

I just don't get it, even if it is the "actual Herc" by definition the "actual Herc" by Type-Moon can't be the Herc from the Greeks myth, so what's the point? You will not be satisfied unless the character is carrying a label "this is the real original Herc"? You can't judge a character as good unless is at least for a 75% the copypaste of a 3000 year legend?