Page 384 of 388 FirstFirst ... 284334374379382383384385386 ... LastLast
Results 7,661 to 7,680 of 7759

Thread: Things that annoy you in TM

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have spoken to some people who are less than happy with van Gogh's suicide being interpreted as a heroic act of sacrifice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    I have spoken to some people who are less than happy with van Gogh's suicide being interpreted as a heroic act of sacrifice
    That struck me too now. I wonder if some of that has to do with Japanese views on suicide, where it isn't necessarily considered a "sinful" or "taboo" act the same way as in the West (the modern, Christian West at least, the Romans had a more ambiguous view of suicide closer to the Japanese) but can be justified or even heroic. Still, even while Heroic Spirits are... dubiously related to the actual figures in question, to take a RL guy who committed suicide out of despair and mental illness and say it was actually a heroic act needed to save the world is understandably going to ruffle a few feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    You can include me in that, super familiar with depression and mental illness so that irks me a bit more than most.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Remember that Japan has had centuries where ritual seppuku was the go-to option, and the more honourable path. It's kind of hard to shake a mentality that lasted almost a millennia.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

I read a manga that had a chapter discussing suicide actually.

**************dex.org/title/28694/we-...w-begin-ethics

It was rather interesting to see that interpretation and the author's own experience on it. It helps me keep in mind that there are different ways to be considered depressed too.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    I just don't get it, even if it is the "actual Herc" by definition the "actual Herc" by Type-Moon can't be the Herc from the Greeks myth, so what's the point? You will not be satisfied unless the character is carrying a label "this is the real original Herc"? You can't judge a character as good unless is at least for a 75% the copypaste of a 3000 year legend?
    Alcides is indeed fake Herc. it's Narita's statement representing other writers and readers to Kinoko who doesn't write sane Herc till now.

Yeah narita didnt want to write real herc, though im not sure if nasu even wants to tbh.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamerad View Post
    i miss the days when people can differentiate "original interesting ideas" from "crazy retarded ideas"
    The only difference is your preference in flavours of crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    That seems like a false dichotomy. Have you ever read Valerio Massimo Manfredi's "My name is Nobody"? As the title implies, it's about Odysseus. It's not *the* Odysseus from the Iliad or the Odyssey, it's Manfredi's Odysseus, but it's a new take on the character specifically and all the surrounding stories (including other characters) which is still respectful of Homer's works - he didn't just create an original character and slapped the name of "Odysseus" on him. Unlike, say, "Clytie Van Gogh".
    Valerio Massimo Manfredi... oh boy, I sure do remember THAT name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    Let me rephrase then: what is the added value to the story of having the "real" Van Gogh?
    Being able to call them "Van Gogh" without a paragraph-sized asterisk next to their name is a good start. Names have meaning.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; November 27th, 2020 at 01:17 PM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Oh? Sounds like there's a story there, Dh!

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'll be damned. Half a year of content in two months. We'll see where it goes.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Oh? Sounds like there's a story there, Dh!
    Not a terribly interesting one, just that reading one of his books (title was something like The Return from Troy? It was about Diomedes discovering his wife wanted to murder him to set up some kind of earth mother queen cult and ditching her to harass some natives, steal their only fertile woman and make a new kingdom in some mythic land) landed me in some hot water with my history teacher back in the day.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Honestly, Makiri Zolgen annoys me because he's all hype with no showing in various media.

Oh, Paracelsious knew him, Helena knew him, he created the Grail Ritual (with help), etc and yet he is never really "shown" doing anything.

He gets hyped up, and shilled, more and more but with nothing showing ever.

It's like all talk, no actual showing of what he is capable of really, it feels like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Honestly, Makiri Zolgen annoys me because he's all hype with no showing in various media.

Oh, Paracelsious knew him, Helena knew him, he created the Grail Ritual (with help), etc and yet he is never really "shown" doing anything.

He gets hyped up, and shilled, more and more but with nothing showing ever.

It's like all talk, no actual showing of what he is capable of really, it feels like to me.
    I totally get you, ive complained bout this as well, it feels like nasu wants to make him more important then he is

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    I totally get you, ive complained bout this as well, it feels like nasu wants to make him more important then he is
    I guess it also doesn't help that Justeaze was just a winter doll who would die if so much as a stiff breeze hit her and Nagato was some sort of wealthy 1st-gen magus, so Makiri seems potentially more interesting in comparison.

But Makiri ultimately is littoe more than hype. And frankly, Nagato sounds kind of more interesting now that I think on him.

It does start to make me wonder if the Tohsaka, as secret Christians, had originally been agents of the Church before Nagato was turned to the magus side.

I guess it also doesn't help that Justeaze was just a winter doll who would die if so much as a stiff breeze hit her and Nagato was some sort of wealthy 1st-gen magus, so Makiri seems potentially more interesting in comparison.

But Makiri ultimately is littoe more than hype. And frankly, Nagato sounds kind of more interesting now that I think on him.

It does start to make me wonder if the Tohsaka, as secret Christians, had originally been agents of the Church before Nagato was turned to the magus side.
    Maybe, I do think the zouken thing also touches on a issue i have with him and a lot of other villians in TM, nasu has this annoying habit of trying to make them 'formerly' good and act like it nullifies some of the badness, or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Maybe, I do think the zouken thing also touches on a issue i have with him and a lot of other villians in TM, nasu has this annoying habit of trying to make them 'formerly' good and act like it nullifies some of the badness, or something like that
    What's worse, Nasu never shows them as actually formerly good. We're just told they were.

And for Zouken and Zolgen, all appearances of them have been firmly on the villainous side (especially with how utterly sadistic Zouken is revealed to be).

Gil I'm iffy on. He kind of feels like Nasu lately trying to back away from Stay Night & Zero's portrayals of him. Because yeah, neither was exactly flattering.

As for Roa, yeah we really get nothing of him pre-vampire days unfortunately, beyond something about how his first boss/friend essentially let him become a vampire. Oh and something about how his twue wuv for Arcueid explains all his motivations.
    Last edited by warellis; December 20th, 2020 at 04:14 AM.

What's worse, Nasu never shows them as actually formerly good. We're just told they were.

And for Zouken and Zolgen, all appearances of them have been firmly on the villainous side (especially with how utterly sadistic Zouken is revealed to be).

Gil I'm iffy on. He kind of feels like Nasu lately trying to back away from Stay Night & Zero's portrayals of him. Because yeah, neither was exactly flattering.

As for Roa, yeah we really get nothing of him pre-vampire days unfortunately, beyond something about how his first boss/friend essentially let him become a vampire. Oh and something about how his twue wuv for Arcueid explains all his motivations.
    Honestly im not even sure zouken makes much sense at this point, his detoiration seems to have been really damn quick if we take him being a bishy in FGO in the late 18th century as canon

I feel like nasu hasnt heard of the whole 'cool story, still killed people' reply or the joke that this character was sad once so all the genocide is okay.

Late 19th century is when he was still bishie. And then just 50 years later, by the 1930s-1940s, he's already the old wrinkly guy.

Honestly, I kind of wonder if his utter sadism was always something he had.

I mean, worm torture wouldn't be any better if the excuse was "someday it'll be for a better world" or something like that I imagine.

And the thing is, since we know Zouken only wanted an heir so a Matou master could participate in the Grail War and that his "Crest" is nothing of the sort in reality, I wonder if he was already pulling his fakery by the 2nd Grail War.

Late 19th century is when he was still bishie. And then just 50 years later, by the 1930s-1940s, he's already the old wrinkly guy.

Honestly, I kind of wonder if his utter sadism was always something he had.

I mean, worm torture wouldn't be any better if the excuse was "someday it'll be for a better world" or something like that I imagine.

And the thing is, since we know Zouken only wanted an heir so a Matou master could participate in the Grail War and that his "Crest" is nothing of the sort in reality, I wonder if he was already pulling his fakery by the 2nd Grail War.
    Maybe, its hard to say, another observation i made is that outside of one or two exceptions, the characters who are allegedly good or formerly "good" are often far worse people then those who are "evil" or nasu insists are really evil.

Gil, twice, zouken ect all fit this mold vs those who have a evil alignment or whatever but are often times mostly petty or have sympathetic reasons but nasu insists there far worse (tamamo, eresh, are two obvious ones, i played extella recently and her route was very underwhelming in how "evil" she was when medusa called her a good ruler at one point)

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In the flashbacks in the HF movies he already looks more than a bit like a corpse, albeit quite a handsome one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.